Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Given your history, you should probably tread carefully on this topic, my friend. 

You should probably gargle my balls.

https://247sports.com/Article/Emerging-2020-athlete-Kelvontay-Dixon-recaps-recent-Texas-Longhorns-visit-123036706/

CARTHAGE, Texas -- Kelvontay Dixon has waited a long time for his chance to be the go-to playmaker for Carthage (Texas) High School, a Class 4A power in the Lone Star State that has won six state championships in the past 10 seasons.

A year ago, the 2020 athlete standout was primed for a breakout sophomore campaign, but suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the first quarter of the second game. That relegated him to the sideline for the remainder of Carthage's 16-0 season and second consecutive state title. The 5-foot-11 1/2, 173-pound Dixon watched as his older brother Keaontay Ingram became the second-leading rusher in Carthage history before signing with the Texas Longhorns.

Now, Dixon is Carthage's top offensive weapon, primarily playing receiver and moving around the formation as needed. This past Friday, Dixon looked like his older brother when he took a toss sweep 12 yards for a touchdown, trucking a defender inside the 5-yard line to give Carthage its game-winning score with three seconds left in a 28-21 homecoming win against Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove.

"It's great. Coming out here after I was injured all season last season. I had to do something better than my brother," Dixon said with a laugh. "No, sir, I didn't feel any pressure at all."

Edited by Katfid54
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Wait--what's the confusion?  I thought it was widely known they were brothers?

"Spooky athleticism", along with "scrappy", "lunch-pail kind of guy", "deceptive speed", "gym rat", "corch on the field", etc. is a moniker generally used to describe Caucasian athletes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

"Spooky athleticism", along with "scrappy", "lunch-pail kind of guy", "deceptive speed", "gym rat", "corch on the field", etc. is a moniker generally used to describe Caucasian athletes.

Got it.  I (obviously) thought the hang up was the issue of whether they were brothers.

I guess I'm just so color-blind I don't even notice/see the things you pointed out.  Wow.  Good for me.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 2

E.J. Holland: Texas making huge impression on four-star DL Princely Umanmielen

Princely Umanmielen has been a frequent visitor on the Forty Acres. Since the end of the season, the four-star defensive lineman out of nearby Manor has made three unofficial visits to Texas. “The visits went great,” Umanmielen said. “I built a relationship with Coach Herman. My favorite part of the visits was probably when Coach (Tom) Herman pulled me into his office and talked to me 1-on-1 for about 45 minutes.”

As Umanmielen mentioned, Texas head coach Tom Herman has been very involved in his recruitment. In fact, Herman stopped by to see Umanmielen during the contact period, which shows just how big of a priority he is in the 2020 class. Umanmielen said Herman’s strong personality has really made an impression on him early this cycle. “Our talks were awesome,” Umanmielen said. “He was talking about really everything from when he was at Ohio State to his diamond grills (laughs). And he was basically telling me that there’s no way he wants to allow a kid who lives in Austin to go to any other school in the country.”

So where exactly does Texas stand at this point in the process? “Overall they are probably neck and neck with OU,” Umanmielen said. “What stands out about Texas is the culture, Matthew McConaughey (laughs) and their past season because it shows me what they’re capable of in the next seasons.” Umanmielen is looking to make a decision before summer. However, he could take it all the way to signing day. At 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, Umanmielen is ranked as the No. 19 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 41 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I've never heard "spooky" as an adjective for athleticism, and I spend way too much time following sports 

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-tuesday-february-12th/

Cali In-Person | Recruiting Notebook
– Super K

***Let’s start with 5-star linebacker, Justin Flowe. I can first hand vouch for the force that Flowe can generate.

Probably not the best idea to be looking down into my camera in this situation!

On a more serious note, Flowe really was incredible. He’s the perfect build for a linebacker. Not too much leg and not too much torso. Balanced build. A muscular 225 lbs. Great sense of space, knowing exactly how close to a ball carrier he should be.

Elite.

And he is headed to Texas for a visit in March. He didn’t have the exact date on him but says the visit is set up for sometime next month.

***5-star CA WR, Johnny Wilson (Calabasas) is a big young man. How big? This is him standing next to 6’2 Elias Ricks…

D39F4C8A-28A2-4EEA-8F71-1F5E28602536.jpe

First time I saw him come off the line, I was shocked to see someone that big come off so hard. He ate up a ton of a ground and when he stopped to turn, sunk his hips perfectly. Also, has extremely soft hands and can snag a bullet out of his break.

He put up nice SPARQ numbers as well.

More good news here for Texas, Johnny says he plans on taking an unofficial visit to Texas in March.

***2020 CA 5-star DB and LSU commit, Elias Ricks (Mater Dei) also had a great camp. He’s huge, long, athletic, competitive and he’s well coached. Didn’t shy away from any competition and I love that about him. In fact, the camp was over and he basically argued to let him take a rep against 5-star WR, Johnny Wilson.

Ricks is a solid commit to LSU. His mother’s family is originally from Texas and his father’s family is originally from Louisiana.

Having said that, with an early commitment, Ricks hasn’t yet seen many schools. So, he plans on taking official visits.

According to his father, Ricks is going to take official visits this spring and is trying to get out to LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, USC and said the final visit will go to OU or UT.

I asked Elias himself which direction he is leaning for his final OV…OU or UT? After speaking with him, he is leaning a bit more towards taking the visit to OU, but things can change.

***2020 CA CB, Clark Phillips III (La Habra) is so unbelievably explosive and has a steely demeanor.

I can see him playing early. He has a bit of a Trajan Bandy (smaller guy started as a true freshman at Miami) and a bit Javelin Guidry (smaller explosive CB who played in the Austin area and went on to start as a freshman at Utah. Was committed to Herman at Houston).

Clark was offered by Texas, recently. He also, recently, dropped his top 12 and despite Texas not making the cut, Clark told me he will visit Texas. He said that Texas very much still has a chance to win him over. But the offer came around the same time he was ready to drop his list.

Clark said he and coach Naivar communicate a lot and you can tell he likes Naivar.

The plan is to take an unofficial visit out to Texas in the next few weeks. If the visit goes well, I can see the Horns moving way up in this one. He’s going to be looking at Jason Washington’s NFL production, which is stellar and obviously the academics (sharp young man). I don’t see him staying in the state of California, regardless.

Something about this young man tells me Texas will feel like a good fit for him. Great thing about Clark is he is a deadly weapon on the field on both offense and defense.

***A guy I also really liked and didn’t even realize Texas is recruiting was, 2020 CA DB/LB, Kourt Williams II (St. JohnBosco)

I noticed this really big guy dressed out in defensive black clothing. Thought to myself, he looks like a well put together linebacker. Then watching him, I was surprised to see how well he moved. He lined up outside against legitimate wide receivers.

I spoke with Kourt and he said that he has been in touch with Coach Orlando but didn’t get the sense that the communication has been frequent. I do think that will change after Texas sees these numbers.

Turns out, despite the rain, he put up some incredible SPARQ numbers.

***Bru McCoy’s transfer/commitment to Texas could pay huge dividends in California. Bru’s father, Horace is a well known, well liked and well-respected gentleman in the area. The family’s heed his counsel and he’s not shy about pushing the Lonngorns out there.

He showed up yesterday to support everyone and hang out. And, he showed up wearing the Texas gear…

Early Class of 2020 Storylines
– Andrew King

Texas has signed the #3 recruiting class in the nation for the second straight year. The 2019 class is in the books, so I thought I’d talk about some early storylines in the 2020 class as we enter a new recruiting cycle.

Texas currently holds commitments from three 2020 recruits in Lake Travis (TX) quarterback Hudson Card, O’Connor (TX) offensive lineman Logan Parr, and Prosper (TX) offensive lineman Jake Majors.

1. Could Texas finally sign an elite offensive line class?

Texas has done a good job signing offensive lineman in the past. And Herb Hand signed an elite recruit in Tyler Johnson in 2019, but it’s been a while since the Longhorns have signed an elite group of offensive lineman. Texas already has Parr committed, who’s a top 150 recruit nationally. Current commit Jake Majors and top target Jaylen Garth are two guys who are three-star recruits right now, but I expect that to change.

Then you have Chad Lindberg, who’s the top offensive lineman in Texas, and we feel very good about Texas’ chances with him as of today. Then Damieon George, who’s another four-star offensive tackle that Texas is in the top three for. There’s a long way to go, but Texas is in a position to land an elite type of offensive line class that they haven’t brought to Austin in a long time.

2. Can Texas land one of the elite running backs?

In my opinion, there are three elite running backs in the state of Texas in 2020. North Shore’s Zach Evans, Aledo’s Jase McClellan, and Mesquite Poteet’s Seth McGowan. And so far it looks like Texas is going all-in on the best of the bunch. Zach Evans, who currently sits as the #2 player nationally in 2020.

Evans recruitment is likely to last up until signing day in 2020, and with how Texas has recruited the past two years I think Tom Herman and company are fine with Evans not wanting to make an early decision. This is going to be a battle between Texas, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M being the main threat to keep Evans in the state.

With McClellan, he made a very early commitment to Oklahoma after his freshman season. But he has been to Texas numerous times since then and the last time was just a few weeks ago. He really liked Texas growing up, and is cousins with former Texas running back Jonathan Gray. At this time, he remains solid with the Sooners, but Texas will continue to recruit him.

McGowan surprised some people and didn’t include Texas in his Top 8 that he released on Tuesday. So we’ll see if Texas continues to push there or lock in on reeling in one of the 5-star’s in Evans and McClellan.

3.  How does Texas do with the elite 2020 in-state defensive backs?

Everyone remembers the 2018 defensive back haul Texas signed in 2018. And it was undeniable that it hurt the Longhorns with the elite 2019 defensive backs in the state. With top guys like Lewis Cine, Jeffrey Carter, Demani Richardson, Brian Williams, Erick Young and others heading to schools like Texas A&M, Alabama, and Georgia. Texas did do a good job of getting in with safety Tyler Owens before his meteoric rise after his senior season.

Texas missed on a local top target recently as corner Jaylon Jones committed to Texas A&M. But Texas is in a good spot early for safeties Chris Thompson Jr, Bryson Washington, and Darius Snow. All three are top 150 recruits nationally. Then you could add athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson to the mix, as he could end up at wide receiver or defensive back in college.

And you can’t forget about 5-star corner Kelee Ringo out of Arizona. Who is high on Texas right now, and former Longhorn Bryant Westbrook is his high school position coach.

4. Can Texas go four-for-four with top defensive line targets?

Texas currently has zero defensive linemen committed in 2020, but four of their top targets have been to Austin recently. Defensive end/defensive tackle Vernon Broughton, and fellow defensive ends Alfred Collins, Princely Umanmielen, and Prince Dorbah all have Texas very high on their lists. If Texas can go four-for-four with those guys, it would be a really nice haul for Oscar Giles and company.

5. Could Texas get back in it with 5-star wide receiver Demond Demas?

One of the more dramatic 2020 recruitments so far has been Tomball (TX) 5-star wide receiver Demond Demas. He is currently committed to Texas A&M. He visited Texas a few weeks ago and there were some reports coming out after the visit that he didn’t like some of the shots taken at Texas A&M and the SEC by some Texas players and Matthew McConaughey following their Sugar Bowl win over Georgia.

Now I’ll say this, I don’t expect Demas to end up at Texas at all as of today. But this recruitment could have some twists and turns along the way. And the fact that Texas was able to hang onto offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd, who is one of Demas’ best friends, may be the only thing keeping Texas somewhat in it right now.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

maybe its early,  maybe im burned out from the drama, maybe im drunk.  but does it appear that 2020 has far more talented human beings across the board than 19?    how many f250s full of cash will we need to get those cali kids to join bru in the 5 star nation

220...221...whatever it takes

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

maybe its early,  maybe im burned out from the drama, maybe im drunk.  but does it appear that 2020 has far more talented human beings across the board than 19?    how many f250s full of cash will we need to get those cali kids to join bru in the 5 star nation

Drunk at 10:30 on Tuesday morning? Impressive. Most impressive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

With Cali you need the option of Tesla with Bitcoin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Coach Finstock: Look Scotty, I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying?

Scott Howard: What happened to the kid?

Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a third stringer, I didn't need him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

With 247 flipping over to 2020, I wonder how they pick the "Top Targets". It obviously is semi-correlated with our highest-ranked offers, but that's not the whole picture.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-12-at-4-27-14-PM.png

It's not even a decent partial picture. They might as well put Marcel Brooks in there with Hornsby.

Edited by SydneyCarton