Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

37 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Zach Evans is now the #1 player in the 247 composite.

I know there's a long way to go, and I'm sure some of these names will be long forgotten by the time February 2020 rolls around, but it's neat to see legit interest from the composite #1, 3, 4, 10, and 11.  There's honestly no reason why we shouldn't be this popular on a national level every single year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know there's a long way to go, and I'm sure some of these names will be long forgotten by the time February 2020 rolls around, but it's neat to see legit interest from the composite #1, 3, 4, 10, and 11.  There's honestly no reason why we shouldn't be this popular on a national level every single year.

Wonder what is the most top 10 Composites guys any school has ever signed.  I'm sure Bama but how many?

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So it looks from the ratings of all the guys this weekend that it is most likely backup plans or under the radar types. Any idea who’s the most likely to blow up out of nowhere like an Overshown?  Anybody?

Way too soon to be looking at rankings, other than a handful of no-brainer-type guys.  The services arent anywhere near knowing who the upper middle class of recruits is yet.  

On Johnny Wilson: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Ohio-State-Oregon-Texas-UCLA-and-Washington-make-the-cut-for-wide-receiver-Johnny-Wilson--129032929/

Calabasas (Calif.) wide out Johnny Wilson was one of the top performers at Sunday’s Opening Regional Camp and earned an invite to The Opening Finals.

Wilson has been a household name out West since before he entered high school. Scholarship offers started flying in for him as a freshman and haven’t slowed down since.

He had a strong camp on Sunday in Long Beach and showed improved athleticism and more burst then given credit for. Wilson played much of his junior year banged up but looked healthy and as good as we have seen him in recent memory.

He measured in at 6-6, 220 pounds and still ran one of the fastest 40 times of the day with 4.59 clocking. He looked smooth and fluid in the drills and made a ton of tough, contested catches through contact. He showed the ability to separate when the ball was in the air and with his size and hands, he’s a brutal matchup for opposing corners.

On the recruiting front, Wilson cut his list of schools down to five last month. The schools that made the cut included Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, UCLA and Washington. He broke down what stands out about each program.

Ohio State- “I like what they do in the passing game and how they throw the ball. I watched them a lot last year and I like their passing offense and feel I would fit in well there. They have a really strong coaching staff too. I like coach Day and some of the new assistant coaches as well. The main thing though is their system and how I would be used. It’s a good fit for me and I’m looking forward to visiting this summer. I’ve never been before so I’m excited to get out there.”

Oregon- “I didn’t know Mike Johnson left until just recently so that was a surprise, I had a good relationship with him. I still like the rest of the staff and look forward to connecting with the new WR coach once he’s hired. I’m going to visit Oregon March 1-3 and looking forward to seeing Mycah (Pittman) and the rest of the staff. I like the offense, how they throw the ball and how they use their receivers so I think it would be a good fit for me there.”

Texas- “They use big receivers and had two really good ones this past year. It’s easy to watch them and see how well I would fit with what they like to do. Coach Herman has a great system in place and that offense is nice. I also like the location, not too far from home and Texas football lis big time and I think I could really thrive there. I knew Bru (McCoy) liked them a lot and he probably saw the same thing I saw, just how they use big receivers so there’s a natural fit there for sure.”

UCLA- “I have a great relationship with Chip Kelly and Jimmy Dougherty. Coach Dougherty was recruiting me even before he got to UCLA so we got back a bit. UCLA wasn’t on my initial list but they stayed on me and I visited a couple of times including last week and I have a real good comfort level and feel with them now. Things can change and I like the program now and the direction they’re going. I feel good about where they’re going and how I would be developed.

Washington- “I’ve already visited Washington twice and really like it there. They have a strong program with a lot of stability and coach Pete (Petersen) is a great guy and a great coach. I like the new WR coach, Junior Adams as well, he has a strong track record of developing receivers and I’m enjoying building that relationship with him. Coach Pete is one of the best coaches around and his history speaks for itself. I like the family atmosphere and I’m looking forward to visiting again this spring.”

Wilson said he’s planning to make a decision later in the year.

“I want to announce at the Under Armour All-American Game,” Wilson said. “My plan is to take some official visits this spring. I want to start scheduling those soon and start visiting in March but I need to take the SAT first. Whatever schools I don’t visit in the spring, I’ll in the fall and then hopefully be ready to announce at the Under Armour Game.”

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

So it looks from the ratings of all the guys this weekend that it is most likely backup plans or under the radar types. Any idea who’s the most likely to blow up out of nowhere like an Overshown?  Anybody?

Kind of the nature of "out of nowhere" that we wouldn't know who that might be, unless one of us was very hooked into, say, small-school deep ETX football.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surely Collins makes it in?  Be nice if Broughton and Dorbah make it.

It's early, but so far there doesn't seem to be much overlap between our Elite Day visitor list and this one. I wouldn't be surprised if Herman prefers to bring the priority targets in on weekends where he can spend more time with each recruit.

22 hours ago, texifornia said:

DzGA84eVYAEY61w.jpg

Need to just forget this one.  Kid is brainwashed big time and if he can't see the difference this past season in which offense he'd thrive in it's his loss.

Of course, I could be wrong and the thought of catching passes from James Foster and Zach Calzada was just to good to pass up.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Texas has a focus on this guy. I’m interested to see how focused he is back on us as this unfolds. It’s hard for me to take UCLA seriously as a force, but the other three are formidable. 

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

As others have said, we don’t know what we don’t know. There’s a good shot a few of these guys wind up being no-doubt takes as the next 12 months unfold. Some also might wind up being PWOs. It’s also good work with HS coaches in bringing in their recommended guys, which is a part of this weekend. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has a focus on this guy. I’m interested to see how focused he is back on us as this unfolds. It’s hard for me to take UCLA seriously as a force, but the other three are formidable. 

As others have said, we don’t know what we don’t know. There’s a good shot a few of these guys wind up being no-doubt takes as the next 12 months unfold. Some also might wind up being PWOs. It’s also good work with HS coaches in bringing in their recommended guys, which is a part of this weekend. 

That’s cool. Some of y’all hear buzz sooner than the rest of us. Just thought I’d check. 

Mike Roach: Running Junior Day list

Below are the names we've been able to confirm so far for this weekend's junior day. We are working on confirming more as we speak and will have a preview out on Friday.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis
RB D'Aunte Prevost, Arlington Bowie
OL Jake Majors, Prosper
OL Logan Parr, O'Connor
WR Keith Miller, The Colony
WR/RB Mookie Cooper, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic
TE Shamar Thomas, Kountze
DE Robert Wooten, Stafford
LB Corey Flagg, North Shore
LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne
CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm
CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview
CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington (Maybe)
CB Dwight McGlothern, Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill
S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

QB Charles Wright, Austin High
QB Preston Stone, Parish Episcopal
WR Latrell Neville, Willowridge
OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor
DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins
DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove
DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan
S JD Coffey, Kennedale

QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Running Junior Day list

Hide contents

Below are the names we've been able to confirm so far for this weekend's junior day. We are working on confirming more as we speak and will have a preview out on Friday.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis
RB D'Aunte Prevost, Arlington Bowie
OL Jake Majors, Prosper
OL Logan Parr, O'Connor
WR Keith Miller, The Colony
WR/RB Mookie Cooper, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic
TE Shamar Thomas, Kountze
DE Robert Wooten, Stafford
LB Corey Flagg, North Shore
LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne
CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm
CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview
CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington (Maybe)
CB Dwight McGlothern, Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill
S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

QB Charles Wright, Austin High
QB Preston Stone, Parish Episcopal
WR Latrell Neville, Willowridge
OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor
DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins
DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove
DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan
S JD Coffey, Kennedale

QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll

I wonder if a couple of cows will feed this herd?

I doubt Evans and Milton end up in the same class. 2 top 10 national players in the same class seems really unlikely. 

Seems the more likely scenario is one of Evans or Milton and then one of the other good in-state RBs. I posted this back a few pages but Milton is boys with Ricks and Bru. If you land Milton I think there's a good chance we flip Ricks with Bru already on the roster. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They will become a player for #8 (Ricks) if they land Milton. There's an older interview where he talks about being close with Bru but I can't find it. 

There were actually rumors that Milton was going to transfer to Mater Dei but no clue if there was any truth to it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I doubt Evans and Milton end up in the same class. 2 top 10 national players in the same class seems really unlikely. 

Only twice since 2010 have there been two .98 RBs in the same class. It's very unlikely, and I'd be happy to land just one. 

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Thanks for causing a flashback to my parents getting me a Sega Genesis instead of Nintendo. Xmas disappointment x 10.

Sega was great for MK, since they had all the bloody fatalities.  However once MK2 came out Nintendo also allowed the bloody finishes too.