Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Brian Perroni: Under Armour Camp hits Houston with a loaded roster

The Under Armour camp series makes it way to Houston this coming Sunday. It will be the first of four stops in the Lone Star State for either the Under Armour or Opening camp circuits. Under Armour will be in DFW next weekend while The Opening will be in the Metroplex on Mar. 3 and Houston on Mar. 17. Being the first camp of the season in the state, the Houston Under Armour event has an absolutely loaded roster.

SEVERAL AGGIE COMMITS IN ACTION

Texas A&M has four commitments currently on the roster. The highest-ranked is also the newest pledge in Cibolo Steele four-star cornerback Jaylon Jones. He is making his way from San Antonio and will be tested against some of the top wide receivers in the state.

The other three Aggie commits signed up are all offensive lineman. Four-star tackle Smart Chibuzo of Fort Bend Hightower, four-star guard Akinola Ogunbiyi of Fort Bend Kempner and guard Josh Bankhead of the The Woodlands College Park are all set to compete. Five-star Tomball wide receiver Demond Demas is not currently on the roster but could make an appearance as he has never had a chance to compete in a national camp.

DEFENSIVE LINE GROUP IS LOADED

If those Texas A&M offensive line commits want to impress on Sunday, they will definitely be tested. Perhaps the state's top two defensive ends will be in action. Alfred Collins of Bastrop Cedar Creek has only participated in a couple of school camps to this point, so not many people have seen him in person. It is a good bet that there will be a lot of people talking about him after the event.

Houston Cy Ridge defensive end Vernon Broughton has not done many camps himself. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound four-star defender made his way to Cy Ridge from Spring Woods this season and his film is incredibly impressive. He and Collins are both major targets for A&M and Texas. Houston C.E. King defensive end Jessie Evans picked up an early offer from the Aggies but there has not been much talk about him as of late. It will be interesting to see how he looks on Sunday.

A few other players that do not currently have Aggie offers but are being evaluated closely will be in action as well. Manor defensive end Princely Umanmielen is a big, quick defensive linemen that has received attention from A&M. He has offers from Oklahoma and Texas and it would not be a surprise if the Aggies eventually followed suit. Shadow Creek four-star defensive end Alec Bryant is another that A&M is watching and he was at the recent Super Bowl party. Richmond Foster defensive tackle Chidozie Nwankwo recently decommitted from Houston and is a player that the Aggies have been watching for a couple of years already. The camp environment suits his skills perfectly, so there will almost certainly be a lot of buzz about him after. Stafford defensive end Robert Wooten will also be in action. Texas A&M is looking at him both as a rush end and potential linebacker. As of now, the 6-foot-3, 230-pound defender is on the roster as a defensive lineman.

In the class of 2021, Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye is the headliner on that side of the ball. The 6-foot-3, 260-pound sophomore could make the case for being one of the nation's top recruits in that class. One other sophomore to watch is Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound defender has four early offers, with the most recent coming from Texas.

OFFENSIVE LINE GROUP WILL BE TOUGH TO BEAT

Those defensive linemen will have their hands full, in addition to going against the trio of Texas A&M commits. Clear Creek four-star tackle Chad Lindberg is the highest-rated offensive lineman in Texas for the class of 2020. He will be looking to validate that ranking on Sunday. North Shore offensive tackle Damieon George has an impressive offer list, but is not currently ranked as high as Lindberg. He will be looking to show he belongs higher.

Another four-star prospect that will be in action is San Antonio O'Connor's Logan Parr, an early Texas commit. He was very good on the camp circuit a year ago. The biggest names, though, are in the class of 2021 as a quartet of sophomore ranked in the early national top-50 for that class will be participating. Richmond Foster tackle Reuben Fatheree could make a case to eventually be ranked as the state's top prospect for the class. The 6-foot-7, 300-pound sophomore is also a standout basketball player, where he shows his athleticism.

Katy Taylor has a pair of offensive linemen that are both ranked high already. Hayden Conner played left tackle for the Mustangs while Bryce Foster spent the season at guard. He will move to tackle as a junior with the graduation of an FBS signee at the other tackle spot.

The final nationally-ranked sophomore is Houston Episcopal tackle Donovan Jackson. As a freshman at Houston Christian, Jackson was actually the first in-state player in the class to be offered by Texas A&M over a year ago. There is also a freshman to watch in Atascocita's Kam Dewberry. He started at the opposite tackle spot as five-star Kenyon Green for the Class 6A program this season,

WIDE RECEIVER/DEFENSIVE BACK ONE-ON-ONES SHOULD BE FUN

Even if Demas does not make it on Sunday, there will still be some good matchups once the wideouts and the secondary come together. Leading the way on offense is Fort Bend Austin national top-100 wide receiver Troy Omeire. His size presents mismatches against most corners. Fellow junior wideout Devin Price of A&M Consolidated is also a big target for quarterbacks and plays physically.

The class of 2021 will have North Shore's Shadrach Banks in action. The 6-foot, 200-pound wide receiver does just about everything well. One of the other big underclassman names at the position is Latrell Neville of Fort Bend Willowridge. A bigger wideout, Neville already holds offers from all over the country. Richmond Foster's Cody Jackson is the third big-name sophomore that will be there. He has seen a number of big offers come his way already as well.

In addition to A&M commit Jones, there are some other good defensive backs that are set to be in attendance. Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford has seen a ton of offers come his way the past couple of months, with both A&M and Texas being among the most recent to extend them. Houston C.E. King four-star safety Bryson Washington also has offers from some of the top programs in the country.

Though he is only just beginning to really see his recruiting process start, Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton could be a name many people are talking about after Sunday's camp. The 6-foot-2, 170-pound junior has good size and elite speed. Sophomore Latrell McCutchin of Austin LBJ is ranked as an early four-star in the class of 2021. A two-way standout, the former Friday Night Tykes star will be working on defense on Sunday.

OTHER NAMES TO WATCH

The biggest name on the roster is North Shore five-star running back Zachary Evans. In fact, he recently took over the No. 1 spot in the country per the composite rankings. Evans is supposed to be at Clemson this weekend, so it will be interesting to see if he makes it back in time for the camp. The quarterback group will not have a ton of big names but a pair of sophomores will be the headliners.

North Shore's Dematrius Davis is coming off a state and national title while throwing for 43 touchdowns with only two interceptions. The National Sophomore of the Year has been offered by Texas A&M early. Katy Tompkins dual-threat quarterback Jalen Milroe had an impressive sophomore campaign as well. Though he has not been offered by the Aggies yet, he was at the Super Bowl event and is definitely on the radar.

Crockett junior Allen Horace was initially thought to be a defensive end prospect but has made it known he wants to be recruited as a tight end. He camped in Aggieland last summer, working out on offense, and is on the A&M radar. Cy Creek linebacker Josh White is another player being closely evaluated by the Aggies. A one-time Oklahoma State commit, he has added a number of new offers recently.

(Eric Nahlin) 2020 Vision Part II: Names

Now that we have an idea of what kind of numbers the staff is working with for the Class of 2020, let's take another look at the current names pinging the radar the hardest. Remember, tier-one instate athletes and tier-one out-of-state athletes is the staff's mindset. We saw how aggressively they recruited outside of the state's borders last cycle and we're seeing a continuation of that. This cycle will differ from the last, however, in that many out-of-state pursuits won't be out of necessity, it will be out of practicality.

Below you'll get an idea of the current big board. It's not set in stone, rather it will evolve throughout the spring. This is a huge couple of months for the staff as they try to make excellent first impressions with first-time visitors, while also solidifying the school at the top of the wish list of those who are already on a first-name basis.

Texas hosted an Elite Day in late January that gave us a clear picture of the top targets. This weekend they'll host more of a cattle call, though numerous priorities will attend with some new ones likely emerging. Here's how I view the main targets at this early juncture. (Refer to the Prospect Board if interested in the school a particular player attends)

QUARTERBACK: 1-2

Instate: Texas is thrilled to have a commitment from Hudson Card but numbers could dictate the need for another take. For now, the staff is set on recruiting talented athletes, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Michael Henderson as 'quarterbacks first.' It's a good plan and because of the versatility of Jackson and Henderson, all three players would tuck neatly into the class.

Out-of-state: After landing Bryce Young's favorite target in Bru McCoy, I would stay involved in that recruitment if he's at all interested. He's committed to USC, which, as it turns out, doesn't mean a whole lot these days. It's a solid little place-holder school, imvho. Texas will keep tabs on numbers and needs at the position throughout the cycle but right now their intentions are pretty clear.

(Prediction: Hudson Card will continue rising up the ranks and it will be blamed on media conspiracy when really it will be about people understanding that beautiful release and arm)

RUNNING BACK: 2

Instate: All commentary at the position begins with someone we've been talking about for over a year: Zachary Evans. He's the belle of the ball and the nation's #1 composite player. It will be a hotly contested recruitment that won't conclude until the end of the cycle. Because of that, and because of needs, Texas has to play recruiting at this position strategically. Options are too good both instate and nationwide for Stan Drayton to not land an elite running back.

Jase McClellan is another five-star feature back the staff has interest in. Tom Herman spent a lot of time personally recruiting McClellan during Elite Day. Despite his commitment to OU, I hear he has legitimate interest in Texas and that was certainly the case prior to his commitment to the Sooners.

Seth McGowan is another talented runner with an offer but UT failed to make his top-eight. I basically called this scenario when he was offered. Texas would have to recruit him like a #1, but because they didn't view him that way it wasn't going to happen. He's too good to be put in the corner, but not good enough to put in the spotlight.

Ty Jordan is both a complementary back and one who could shoulder a bigger load. He's explosive and well-built and would make a fine RB2 in the class. It remains to be seen just how hard the staff will press. This is the type of class that should see them looking for an elite RB1 and a very good RB1 at a minimum.

Out-of-state: Despite the talented roster of instate prospects the staff is looking East to West. Five-star Kendall Milton is supposed to make the trip from Fresno to Austin within the next week. He'll also visit Norman which will surely remind him of home. Texas has a chance to make some headway here. (No, I don't see UT landing two five-stars in the class)

Other runners from beyond the border who will visit in the coming months are Sam Adams, Bijan Robinson, and Jo'Quavious Marks. Adams is an Aggie legacy but he grew up in Washington. Robinson and Marks are from two areas where UT is trying to expand its footprint: Arizona and Georgia respectively. More running backs who hold an offer may visit but those are the ones I've heard will make the trip. Landing any of the five-stars makes the class a success but Evans is the #1 RB1. Land a five-star and everything else is a bonus.

Wide Receiver: 2-3

Instate: The class is loaded at the top with Demond Demas and Troy Omeire, but things get a little lonely for those two after that. I, like many others, am fond of Temple's Quentin Johnston but he hasn't been offered. Demas is committed to A&M and looking 10 months ahead I think that will hold, sort of like Javonne Shepherd but in favor of the black hats.

Troy Omeire is one the staff views as a great fit to replace Collin Johnson, but he's leaning A&M at this point too. At some point the staff will apprise him of the fact Devin Duvernay was about as productive as A&M's leading wide receiver in 2018. @stringsays will say that's because A&M accrued half of its season's passing yardage and points on a short field versus LSU but I think it's deeper than that.

Beyond Demas and Omeire there is a handful of receivers the staff likes but doesn't love, and in a small class, they're going to take their time and look nationally. There is also Ja'Quinden Jackson who could potentially end up as an LJH-type slot. The staff has also offered Keaontay Ingram's brother, Kelvontay Dixon, who could be a wide receiver or defensive back. I like him at Z.

Out-of-state: Recall the 2018 cycle when the staff ambitiously pursued tight end Mustapha Muhammad. I mentioned at the time that UT had everything going for it except 'usage on display'. Since Herman's arrival, his staff has put together good usage of every single position on the field (some more than others). The more players experience success at a position, the easier it is to sell that position to recruits. It makes it even easier when a prospect being recruited is presented with immediate opportunity.

That preamble is directed towards five-star Southern California receiver Johnny Wilson. It's cliche to compare Player X to UT Player Y, but damn if he isn't eerily similar to Collin Johnson. Wilson is supposed to visit in March. Hope that Bru McCoy is loving his time in Austin because that sure won't hurt. UT is in Wilson's top-five along with Ohio State, Washington, UCLA, and Oregon. This recruitment is certainly winnable but he doesn't plan to announce until late in the cycle. That's fine, if the staff can be selective that means the staff can be patient.

St. Louis' Mookie Cooper can be considered a running back or receiver but I think he's clearly a slot receiver in the eyes of the staff. UT has been in a good position for him dating back to last summer. He's expected back on campus this weekend. Texas can afford to be selective and so far has only extended seven offers at the position. The goal should be to find a clear fit at each spot. X and H already have clearly defined targets.

TIGHT END: 1-2

Instate: The aforementioned Michael Henderson is being recruited with TE/H-back in mind in case quarterback doesn't work out. Expect UT to be judicious at this position as well to allow time to turn over every rock. There are plenty of guys to evaluate.

Out-of-state: Stud Washington product DJ Washington says he intends on visiting but doesn't have a date set yet. Ryan King from Kenyatta Watson's high school has an offer. He's listed as a wide receiver but could grow into a tight end. Texas doesn't lack for numbers or young talent so the patient approach is wise. Based on my familiarity with evaluating senior film the last ten years, they'd have no trouble finding a very good instate option late if need be.

OFFENSIVE LINE: 5

Instate: Texas has an ideal class for the taking, with Logan Parr and Jake Majors already committed. Two down, three to go and Texas is in good standing with Jaylen Garth, Chad Lindberg, and Damieon George. Helping matters further, should Texas miss on George there are a number of viable back-up plans instate and elsewhere. Many are even better options but he comes with special considerations. UT needs to close the deal with Garth and Lindberg. I feel great on Garth but will have to wait and see how much Lindberg enjoys his trip to Stanford next month. For now I remain optimistic but I'll be curious how that visit goes.

Out-of-state: Texas has already hosted Chris Morris and him taking an official visit wouldn't surprise me. A visit from Seth McLaughlin, should the staff push, wouldn't surprise either. Recently the staff targeted Arizona once again by extending an offer to Tosh Baker. His mother attended UT. He'd be an intriguing tackle take and who doesn't like those. Offensive line recruiting is currently running on schedule.

DEFENSIVE LINE: 4

Instate: It may not be the ideal class, simply because Arizona's Jason Harris is a monster, but UT could land four from instate and live happily ever after. Vernon "It's Already Been" Broughton is probably going to end up a five-star and UT is right there for his services. A&M has entered the picture and I'm still trying to figure out just how genuine of a threat the Ags are. I've written a ton about him and I don't think he goes far from home. He can play anywhere on the d-line. He's special.

Prince Dorbah would be the slicing, dicing, edge rusher for the class. He's seen as a Texas/Oklahoma battle. Recently he told a reporter that OU hasn't been recruiting him as hard since the hiring of Alex Grinch. I'd love to know the reasoning. My lone concern with Dorbah has been whether or not he's a fit for a three-man front. Texas has no such concerns so you shouldn't either.

Alfred Collins is a Longhorn legacy and the ideal 4i defensive end. He's explosive for the position but also has the desired length. UT looks good but he's another one where A&M is hanging around.

Princely Umanmielen is what I'm talking about when I say the staff prefers to grow their interior prospects. He's the T'Vondre Sweat of the class when it comes to fit and projection.

Out-of-state: Jason Harris from Arizona is visiting UT next weekend. Given UT's scheme I imagine the sell will be for B-backer in order to highlight his arc-running abilities. But land Broughton and Collins and the d-line is guaranteed to earn an "A" from me.

LINEBACKER: 2-3

Instate: Slim pickings instate, but what's new? Texas has offered Brennon Scott who I'm a big fan of. He can do pretty much whatever is asked of him. If something sinks him as a player, it won't be lack of physicality or movement skills. He's visiting this weekend and that's pretty big. UT has some momentum here. I hope they get him. Texas likes, but doesn't love Cy Creek's Josh White. One to watch is Stafford's Robert Wooten as a B-backer. He could emerge as someone who is too good to pass on.

Out-of-state: Justin Flowe is the best linebacker in the country unless you talk to our friend who resides just outside of the country. He'll visit along with his highly rated younger brother later this spring. With USC caught in the undertow anything is possible here. Texas will also receive a visit from Seattle's Sav'ell Smalls. Right now I have him as a B-backer because that's how you recruit him. He could grow into a 4i which would suit his movement skills better.

Like with wide receiver the plan here is to be selective and take the temperature of primary targets. After guys like Flowe and Smalls visit the staff will have a better idea of how to attack the cycle. One thing to remember is the myriad prospects who may best project to linebacker but don't currently play the position in high school. Those players come with risk but having just landed four linebackers the staff can role the dice if it comes down to it.

DEFENSIVE BACK: 5

Instate safety: Probably the hardest number to manage in the cycle is safety. Reasons for that are two-fold: there are a lot of them, and some may be linebackers long-term. The staff is recruiting Bryson Washington like he's a priority and if that continues they're the favorites. He has great size and speed and could fit a number of roles. He looks the part of the current Texas safety.

Chris Thompson is another priority. He played a linebacker-ish role this past season for the State runner-ups but still looks like a safety in college. Thompson just got back from Clemson and will make a number of visits before a possible summer announcement. He hasn't been on campus in a while and the staff needs to address that. Of course they'll have the pulse of this recruitment.

The staff recently offered Xavion Alford who probably had the best safety tape in the state. He's the owner of some serious twitch and coverage skills making nickel a possibility. He's visiting Austin this weekend. A&M is the early perceived leader but let's see how the next couple of days go. Highly rated Dwight McGlothern will visit on Saturday. The staff's pursuit of him doesn't entirely reconcile with his rating but Craig Naivar was recruiting him dating back to when McGlothern was attending New Caney.

My feeling is the staff has backed off Darius Snow. Clean fits matter and he doesn't have one. It would be different if he said he was fine playing linebacker but that isn't the case. He would be too one-dimensional as a box player if he remained at safety.

Out-of-state safety: The staff should be able to load up at home, but just in case... Arizona's Lathan Ransom is the main safety target from outside of Texas. He's a less twitchier Caden Sterns, meaning they can line him up in a number of roles. Ransom is naturally bigger, too. He'll visit this spring and his father has a close friend who lives in the area. Hopefully its Matthew McConaughey. Each Arizona kid helps with the next, and with Ransom being friends with Kelee Ringo you try and build a consensus with players from the state. Put Jake and Brayden and the rest of the lacrosse team on them.

Clark Phillips plays corner but would be a nickel for Texas. Tellingly, Craig Naivar has been recruiting him. Phillips left UT out of his top-twelve but that's mainly a function of being later to offer. He says he'll visit and that's all that matters.

Instate corner: It's a down year for the position instate, which means there are only numerous solid options rather than great ones. Texas will host new offers Ryan Watts and Jahari Rogers this weekend. Watts seems very high on UT and would serve as the true-corner version of Jaylon Jones. Rogers is an electric athlete but is also an OU legacy. Another player who should make it in is Jalen Kimber, who profiles similarly to Marcus Banks at this same time last year. He's high on A&M.

I like each but none blow me away. Watts would probably be my preference of this group, but the staff is looking hard out-of-state and getting positive feedback. Watch for Alidne MacArthur corner, Joshua Eaton, to potentially receive an offer. He may have more upside than any corner in the state and he's been on an offer-tear.

Out-of-state corner: Absent an elite instate talent, the staff is looking across the entire panorama for a lead corner. Five-star Kelee Ringo has visited twice and Texas will get an official visit. That's about all you can ask for in a recruitment like that. It doesn't hurt having Bryant Westbrook for a high school coach. Westbrook of course was not a Texas native either, which helps the pitch. Oklahoma four-star Myles Slusher is expected on campus this weekend. Pulling him from that territory would be difficult but get him to campus and see what happens.

Jason Washington has been on two high upside Florida corners in five-star Fred Davis and future top-1oo Jahquez Robinson. While I bet they visit, especially Robinson, I don't see Texas as legitimate threats at this point. The staff also went back to Buford, Georgia, the school they signed Derrian Brown out of in 2019. T Lee is currently committed to Arizona State but will visit campus.

CLOSING

If I didn't list a player it doesn't mean the staff isn't recruiting him, but this is my view of the Big Board from the outside looking in. How many times did I write the term 'five-star'? Indeed, this should be an exceptional class but the staff has a ton of work ahead of it. There's no time to start like the present.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) 2020 Vision Part II: Names

Reveal hidden contents

Now that we have an idea of what kind of numbers the staff is working with for the Class of 2020, let's take another look at the current names pinging the radar the hardest.

Remember, tier-one instate athletes and tier-one out-of-state athletes is the staff's mindset. We saw how aggressively they recruited outside of the state's borders last cycle and we're seeing a continuation of that. This cycle will differ from the last, however, in that many out-of-state pursuits won't be out of necessity, it will be out of practicality.

Below you'll get an idea of the current big board. It's not set in stone, rather it will evolve throughout the spring. This is a huge couple of months for the staff as they try to make excellent first impressions with first-time visitors, while also solidifying the school at the top of the wish list of those who are already on a first-name basis.

Texas hosted an Elite Day in late January that gave us a clear picture of the top targets. This weekend they'll host more of a cattle call, though numerous priorities will attend with some new ones likely emerging.

Here's how I view the main targets at this early juncture.

(Refer to the Prospect Board if interested in the school a particular player attends)

Instate: Texas is thrilled to have a commitment from Hudson Card but numbers could dictate the need for another take. For now, the staff is set on recruiting talented athletes, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Michael Henderson as 'quarterbacks first.' It's a good plan and because of the versatility of Jackson and Henderson, all three players would tuck neatly into the class.

Out-of-state: After landing Bryce Young's favorite target in Bru McCoy, I would stay involved in that recruitment if he's at all interested. He's committed to USC, which, as it turns out, doesn't mean a whole lot these days. It's a solid little place-holder school, imvho.

Comment: Texas will keep tabs on numbers and needs at the position throughout the cycle but right now their intentions are pretty clear.

(Prediction: Hudson Card will continue rising up the ranks and it will be blamed on media conspiracy when really it will be about people understanding that beautiful release and arm)

Instate: All commentary at the position begins with someone we've been talking about for over a year: Zachary Evans. He's the belle of the ball and the nation's #1 composite player. It will be a hotly contested recruitment that won't conclude until the end of the cycle. Because of that, and because of needs, Texas has to play recruiting at this position strategically. Options are too good both instate and nationwide for Stan Drayton to not land an elite running back.

Jase McClellan is another five-star feature back the staff has interest in. Tom Herman spent a lot of time personally recruiting McClellan during Elite Day. Despite his commitment to OU, I hear he has legitimate interest in Texas and that was certainly the case prior to his commitment to the Sooners.

Seth McGowan is another talented runner with an offer but UT failed to make his top-eight. I basically called this scenario when he was offered. Texas would have to recruit him like a #1, but because they didn't view him that way it wasn't going to happen. He's too good to be put in the corner, but not good enough to put in the spotlight.

Ty Jordan is both a complementary back and one who could shoulder a bigger load. He's explosive and well-built and would make a fine RB2 in the class. It remains to be seen just how hard the staff will press. This is the type of class that should see them looking for an elite RB1 and a very good RB1 at a minimum.

Out-of-state: Despite the talented roster of instate prospects the staff is looking East to West.

Five-star Kendall Milton is supposed to make the trip from Fresno to Austin within the next week. He'll also visit Norman which will surely remind him of home. Texas has a chance to make some headway here. (No, I don't see UT landing two five-stars in the class)

Other runners from beyond the border who will visit in the coming months are Sam Adams, Bijan Robinson, and Jo'Quavious Marks. Adams is an Aggie legacy but he grew up in Washington. Robinson and Marks are from two areas where UT is trying to expand its footprint: Arizona and Georgia respectively.

More running backs who hold an offer may visit but those are the ones I've heard will make the trip.

Comment: Landing any of the five-stars makes the class a success but Evans is the #1 RB1. Land a five-star and everything else is a bonus.

Wide Receiver: 2-3

Instate: The class is loaded at the top with Demond Demas and Troy Omeire, but things get a little lonely for those two after that. I, like many others, am fond of Temple's Quentin Johnston but he hasn't been offered.

Demas is committed to A&M and looking 10 months ahead I think that will hold, sort of like Javonne Shepherd but in favor of the black hats.

Troy Omeire is one the staff views as a great fit to replace Collin Johnson, but he's leaning A&M at this point too. At some point the staff will apprise him of the fact Devin Duvernay was about as productive as A&M's leading wide receiver in 2018. @stringsays will say that's because A&M accrued half of its season's passing yardage and points on a short field versus LSU but I think it's deeper than that.

Beyond Demas and Omeire there is a handful of receivers the staff likes but doesn't love, and in a small class, they're going to take their time and look nationally.

There is also Ja'Quinden Jackson who could potentially end up as an LJH-type slot. The staff has also offered Keaontay Ingram's brother, Kelvontay Dixon, who could be a wide receiver or defensive back. I like him at Z.

Out-of-state: Recall the 2018 cycle when the staff ambitiously pursued tight end Mustapha Muhammad. I mentioned at the time that UT had everything going for it except 'usage on display'. Since Herman's arrival, his staff has put together good usage of every single position on the field (some more than others). The more players experience success at a position, the easier it is to sell that position to recruits. It makes it even easier when a prospect being recruited is presented with immediate opportunity.

That preamble is directed towards five-star Southern California receiver Johnny Wilson. It's cliche to compare Player X to UT Player Y, but damn if he isn't eerily similar to Collin Johnson. Wilson is supposed to visit in March. Hope that Bru McCoy is loving his time in Austin because that sure won't hurt. UT is in Wilson's top-five along with Ohio State, Washington, UCLA, and Oregon. This recruitment is certainly winnable but he doesn't plan to announce until late in the cycle. That's fine, if the staff can be selective that means the staff can be patient.

St. Louis' Mookie Cooper can be considered a running back or receiver but I think he's clearly a slot receiver in the eyes of the staff. UT has been in a good position for him dating back to last summer. He's expected back on campus this weekend.

Comment: Texas can afford to be selective and so far has only extended seven offers at the position. The goal should be to find a clear fit at each spot. X and H already have clearly defined targets.

Instate: The aforementioned Michael Henderson is being recruited with TE/H-back in mind in case quarterback doesn't work out. Expect UT to be judicious at this position as well to allow time to turn over every rock. There are plenty of guys to evaluate.

Out-of-state: Stud Washington product DJ Washington says he intends on visiting but doesn't have a date set yet.

Ryan King from Kenyatta Watson's high school has an offer. He's listed as a wide receiver but could grow into a tight end.

Comment: Texas doesn't lack for numbers or young talent so the patient approach is wise. Based on my familiarity with evaluating senior film the last ten years, they'd have no trouble finding a very good instate option late if need be.

Instate: Texas has an ideal class for the taking, with Logan Parr and Jake Majors already committed. Two down, three to go and Texas is in good standing with Jaylen Garth, Chad Lindberg, and Damieon George.

Helping matters further, should Texas miss on George there are a number of viable back-up plans instate and elsewhere. Many are even better options but he comes with special considerations.

UT needs to close the deal with Garth and Lindberg. I feel great on Garth but will have to wait and see how much Lindberg enjoys his trip to Stanford next month. For now I remain optimistic but I'll be curious how that visit goes.

Out-of-state: Texas has already hosted Chris Morris and him taking an official visit wouldn't surprise me. A visit from Seth McLaughlin, should the staff push, wouldn't surprise either. Recently the staff targeted Arizona once again by extending an offer to Tosh Baker. His mother attended UT. He'd be an intriguing tackle take and who doesn't like those.

Comment: Offensive line recruiting is currently running on schedule.

Instate: It may not be the ideal class, simply because Arizona's Jason Harris is a monster, but UT could land four from instate and live happily ever after.

Vernon "It's Already Been" Broughton is probably going to end up a five-star and UT is right there for his services. A&M has entered the picture and I'm still trying to figure out just how genuine of a threat the Ags are. I've written a ton about him and I don't think he goes far from home. He can play anywhere on the d-line. He's special.

Prince Dorbah would be the slicing, dicing, edge rusher for the class. He's seen as a Texas/Oklahoma battle. Recently he told a reporter that OU hasn't been recruiting him as hard since the hiring of Alex Grinch. I'd love to know the reasoning. My lone concern with Dorbah has been whether or not he's a fit for a three-man front. Texas has no such concerns so you shouldn't either.

Alfred Collins is a Longhorn legacy and the ideal 4i defensive end. He's explosive for the position but also has the desired length. UT looks good but he's another one where A&M is hanging around.

Princely Umanmielen is what I'm talking about when I say the staff prefers to grow their interior prospects. He's the T'Vondre Sweat of the class when it comes to fit and projection.

Out-of-state: Jason Harris from Arizona is visiting UT next weekend. Given UT's scheme I imagine the sell will be for B-backer in order to highlight his arc-running abilities.

Comments: Land Broughton and Collins and the d-line is guaranteed to earn an "A" from me.

LINEBACKER: 2-3

Instate: Slim pickings instate, but what's new?

Texas has offered Brennon Scott who I'm a big fan of. He can do pretty much whatever is asked of him. If something sinks him as a player, it won't be lack of physicality or movement skills. He's visiting this weekend and that's pretty big. UT has some momentum here. I hope they get him.

Texas likes, but doesn't love Cy Creek's Josh White.

One to watch is Stafford's Robert Wooten as a B-backer. He could emerge as someone who is too good to pass on.

Out-of-state: Justin Flowe is the best linebacker in the country unless you talk to our friend who resides just outside of the country. He'll visit along with his highly rated younger brother later this spring. With USC caught in the undertow anything is possible here.

Texas will also receive a visit from Seattle's Sav'ell Smalls. Right now I have him as a B-backer because that's how you recruit him. He could grow into a 4i which would suit his movement skills better.

Comments: Like with wide receiver the plan here is to be selective and take the temperature of primary targets. After guys like Flowe and Smalls visit the staff will have a better idea of how to attack the cycle.

One thing to remember is the myriad prospects who may best project to linebacker but don't currently play the position in high school. Those players come with risk but having just landed four linebackers the staff can role the dice if it comes down to it.

Instate safety: Probably the hardest number to manage in the cycle is safety. Reasons for that are two-fold: there are a lot of them, and some may be linebackers long-term.

The staff is recruiting Bryson Washington like he's a priority and if that continues they're the favorites. He has great size and speed and could fit a number of roles. He looks the part of the current Texas safety.

Chris Thompson is another priority. He played a linebacker-ish role this past season for the State runner-ups but still looks like a safety in college. Thompson just got back from Clemson and will make a number of visits before a possible summer announcement. He hasn't been on campus in a while and the staff needs to address that. Of course they'll have the pulse of this recruitment.

The staff recently offered Xavion Alford who probably had the best safety tape in the state. He's the owner of some serious twitch and coverage skills making nickel a possibility. He's visiting Austin this weekend. A&M is the early perceived leader but let's see how the next couple of days go.

Highly rated Dwight McGlothern will visit on Saturday. The staff's pursuit of him doesn't entirely reconcile with his rating but Craig Naivar was recruiting him dating back to when McGlothern was attending New Caney.

My feeling is the staff has backed off Darius Snow. Clean fits matter and he doesn't have one. It would be different if he said he was fine playing linebacker but that isn't the case. He would be too one-dimensional as a box player if he remained at safety.

Out-of-state safety: The staff should be able to load up at home, but just in case...

Arizona's Lathan Ransom is the main safety target from outside of Texas. He's a less twitchier Caden Sterns, meaning they can line him up in a number of roles. Ransom is naturally bigger, too. He'll visit this spring and his father has a close friend who lives in the area. Hopefully its Matthew McConaughey. Each Arizona kid helps with the next, and with Ransom being friends with Kelee Ringo you try and build a consensus with players from the state. Put Jake and Brayden and the rest of the lacrosse team on them.

Clark Phillips plays corner but would be a nickel for Texas. Tellingly, Craig Naivar has been recruiting him. Phillips left UT out of his top-twelve but that's mainly a function of being later to offer. He says he'll visit and that's all that matters.

Instate corner: It's a down year for the position instate, which means there are only numerous solid options rather than great ones.

Texas will host new offers Ryan Watts and Jahari Rogers this weekend. Watts seems very high on UT and would serve as the true-corner version of Jaylon Jones. Rogers is an electric athlete but is also an OU legacy.

Another player who should make it in is Jalen Kimber, who profiles similarly to Marcus Banks at this same time last year. He's high on A&M.

I like each but none blow me away. Watts would probably be my preference of this group, but the staff is looking hard out-of-state and getting positive feedback.

Watch for Alidne MacArthur corner, Joshua Eaton, to potentially receive an offer. He may have more upside than any corner in the state and he's been on an offer-tear.

Out-of-state corner: Absent an elite instate talent, the staff is looking across the entire panorama for a lead corner.

Five-star Kelee Ringo has visited twice and Texas will get an official visit. That's about all you can ask for in a recruitment like that. It doesn't hurt having Bryant Westbrook for a high school coach. Westbrook of course was not a Texas native either, which helps the pitch.

Oklahoma four-star Myles Slusher is expected on campus this weekend. Pulling him from that territory would be difficult but get him to campus and see what happens.

Jason Washington has been on two high upside Florida corners in five-star Fred Davis and future top-1oo Jahquez Robinson. While I bet they visit, especially Robinson, I don't see Texas as legitimate threats at this point.

The staff also went back to Buford, Georgia, the school they signed Derrian Brown out of in 2019. T Lee is currently committed to Arizona State but will visit campus.

CLOSING

If I didn't list a player it doesn't mean the staff isn't recruiting him, but this is my view of the Big Board from the outside looking in.

How many times did I write the term 'five-star'? Indeed, this should be an exceptional class but the staff has a ton of work ahead of it. There's no time to start like the present.

Here's part 1:

With the 2019 cycle comfortably in the rear-view, let's re-familiarize ourselves with the numbers (Part I), names (Part II), and approach (Part III) for the 2020 cycle.

I've been very optimistic about UT's recruiting upside for the new class, but even if you had no unique insight, it should logically follow that if the staff can secure back-to-back top-three classes while improving program perception, it should be able to do so after having improved program perception. Georgia is still on the mind of a many a recruit and it's aiding the staff's efforts to get the who's who of the 2020 class to visit.

The smaller the class the more difficult it is to boost your class ranking. Last year Texas found itself tied with Georgia and Oklahoma as the only schools to sign 24 or fewer prospects. Finishing where it did with a smallish class, relatively speaking, is a pretty impressive feat especially when you factor for instate turbulence and coming off of a 7-6 season.

Despite hearing talk of a "small class" for 2020 I'm not buying it. I understand why the current internal number is low, but with the path to transfer so accessible we're going to see much more fluidity on the roster. Players who are beaten out or buried on the depth chart will elect to seek greener pastures, especially since many of these guys can play a major role elsewhere.

Texas currently only has 11 seniors, which would normally ensure a small class, but the staff is also well below the allowed 85-man roster limit. Tom Herman will always want to be a little shy of that number in order to leave room for graduate transfers and to reward a walk-on or two, but 78-79 scholarship players is running things more slim than need be.

With just a quick perusal of the roster, it doesn't take much imagination to set the class at 23-24.

Roster number excluding seniors: 3

Priority need: Another developmental piece, but not one that will require too much time to develop mentally

With Shane Buechele and Cameron Rising leaving the program, the roster is now extremely young and inexperienced behind Sam Ehlinger. Despite that, the staff is currently set on taking only Hudson Card and recruiting others as 'quarterbacks first, athletes' second. This will be something to monitor throughout the cycle.

Roster number excluding seniors: 5

Priority need: An elite talent who upgrades the offense day-one who can help the team make a playoff run

Jordan Whittington being slated for an all-purpose running back role should change the staff's plan a bit. Rather than looking for a volume back and a complementary player, they should just go with the two best available. With the roster being thin and the offensive line improving by the year, selling running backs shouldn't be too hard.

WIDE RECEIVER: 2-3

Roster number excluding seniors: 9

Priority need: A stud X to compete next year to replace Collin Johnson.

The staff has two things going for it in the cycle: they can be highly selective, and they can use Collin Johnson's pending departure to sell immediate playing time and usage. "We're losing 80 receptions and 1200 yards, they're yours if you earn them." The 2019 wide receiver class is similar to the 2018 defensive back haul in that every need was met, now it's about stacking on more quality.

Roster number excluding seniors: 5

Priority need: Another well-rounded workable piece

I have two listed as the potential number because of how the athlete takes might sort out, but as long as they land one true tight end they'll be fine after taking two in 2019. Seven at the position is too much but it remains to be seen how much a couple of those guys can contribute.

Roster number excluding seniors: 12

Priority need: Center, any elite talent

The staff is only guaranteed to lose Zach Shackelford after the 2019 season but numbers are still lower than they should be, especially when accounting for longer developmental curves that are part and parcel with the position. As we well know, the 2020 and 2021 cycles are the perfect time to load up, and load up they will. The staff is not only off to a good start with Logan Parr and Jake Majors committed, each could be considered a candidate for center.

Roster number excluding seniors: 9

Priority need: An early difference maker, winning some tough head-to-heads

The staff will look to replace the four they're set to lose, especially with the candidates looking so promising. As we've chronicled, the staff wants consistent class sizes on the lines in order to create an assembly line. Essentially, absent elite talent, they want Charles Omenihus at various stages of development.

LINEBACKER: 3

Roster number excluding seniors: 8

Priority need: Elite off-the-ball player, more depth

I'm including a B-backer here. So, two off-the-ball linebackers and then an edge presence seems on the order. Despite taking four traditional linebackers in the previous class, a difference maker or two is needed at Mac/Rover. Roster numbers allow the B-backer take to be a developmental player, however, if numbers get tight, the staff could skimp on B-backer if they landed Brennon Scott becuase he can do a little of everything.

Roster number excluding seniors: 15

Priority needs: Nickel and cover corner

Those numbers might jump out as a lot but you have to remember the frequency with which Orlando runs dime. That makes it necessary to carry a similar number to offensive line (really the number can be a little lower because the developmental timeline is shorter). There's the chance we see some attrition at the position, there's also a chance we see a player or two declare for the NFL a year early. DBU should never have a shortage of elite talent and robust competition, and it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Keep it going.

In the next post I'll get into the names to know for the class. We already know them for the most part, but a refresher won't hurt.

What we've written numerous times applies now more than ever: they want tier-one instate talent, then they want tier-one out-of-state talent. The current big board backs that up.

• Like 2

Mike Roach: Texas target Ryan Watts talks interest in Longhorns

When the new year began, Ryan Watts was a virtual unknown to recruiting fans. The three-star Little Elm cornerback is on a heater after picking up 21 offers since mid-January. The sudden attention can be overwhelming for a high school student, but Watts is trying to take it in stride. “It’s been very humbling for me,” he said. “I couldn’t be happier, but at the same time it’s made me work harder because now I feel like I really have to step my game up a notch.”

The Longhorns are the latest school to extend an offer. Watts was excited for the opportunity, and he credits God for the accomplishments. “It’s a blessing,” he said. “I’m so blessed to even be in this situation, and to have an opportunity to play for the Longhorns who are a powerhouse school from my home state. All the glory is to my God, who has done so much for me.”

Watts has been in contact with Texas cornerback coach Jason Washington, and he kept up with the team throughout the season. The tradition of defensive back play in Austin has always been a strong selling point, and Watts said the opportunity to continue that tradition intrigues him. “I’ve seen the tradition they’ve had lately at the defensive back position,” he said. “It definitely gets me fired up. I’ve watched a lot of videos on the football team, and I’ve seen so much about it. I’ve looked at videos on their new facility, and I can’t wait to be able to see it in person and learn more about the university.”

Watts plans to visit Austin for their junior day on February 16th. At 6-foot-2, 187 pounds, Watts is ranked as the No. 31 cornerback in the nation and No. 57 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

So they're upset that when they came into the state and were dirty that they got caught? Pussies.

That's the sc the Pac has always hated until the ducks came along and started cheating for keeps. SC has recruiting analyst as bagmen, an aggie wet dream. 

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

USC 247:

DzQ0oIfU0AALfWg.jpgDzQ0oicUYAAjgVL.jpg

His idea of “putting two and two together “ seems like a bit of a stretch to me.  You’ve got about 30 schools recruiting Texas, why single out the Longhorns?  And maybe no school tipped off the DMN.  Maybe they just shouldn’t be so obvious.  Or maybe it was a concerned fan drinking a cold one that tipped off the media.

Looks like a loaded junior day. Here's hoping Herman gets these guys planning return trips for the spring game while they are still here-- the aggy leans won't, but others may. With the biggest two competitors for recruiting Texas talent playing their spring games the same day, we have a chance to use it as a wedge.

50 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I thought Evans was wanting to commit before his senior season at one time?

i feel like evans' name was always attached to the phrase "this will go all the way to signing day."

that said, if he knows what he wants and somehow commits early, that would give us some really nice momentum for our other battles.  #daretodream

6 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Ou sucks

It was really Mookie Cooper's glowing reviews of Austin and the program that got Marcus Washington even thinking about Texas.  Hard for me to imagine we can't eventually close the deal with him.  I'm actually hopeful that might happen this weekend.

14 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

It was really Mookie Cooper's glowing reviews of Austin and the program that got Marcus Washington even thinking about Texas.  Hard for me to imagine we can't eventually close the deal with him.  I'm actually hopeful that might happen this weekend.

"Some people are okay with chain restaurants." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Also really fucking good tho. So not quite a perfect fit

Demas is great on the field and he feels comfortable with the Aggy culture. That's unfortunate and I don't there is much Texas stuff can do about it. Big cities like Austin can be too overwhelming for some. Kudos for Javonne for overcoming his comfort zone and deciding to challenge himself.