Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Austin has a different vibe, more liberal than the rest of Texas. Austin was different back in the late 90s when I went there and it's lot more different now. I live in LA and if I were to move anywhere else in the country, Austin would be on top of my list. I think this is why Texas should target more out of state kids.

Maybe he just has a thing for midget cucks? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Demas is turning into a bell cow for Aggy 2020 class. It's not easy to flip these guys unless all wheels come off the Aggy wagon, which of course is a distinct possibility, and Texas becomes a playoff contender. 

He’s a great pull for them. We need to accept that.  And Herman needs to keep in touch in case he has second thoughts.  We will build a great class regardless.  

• Like 2

No matter when or why a recruit gives a verbal, it obviously makes it easier for that school to land the player. They become the only school that can lay the man of your word type stuff on thick.  Some guys react to that more than others, but it’s there from coaches and sometimes from family and ...trainers. 

44 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Looks like CJ, Zach's brother, started to follow Longhorn Frenzy. He is going scorched earth against ATM and Bama fans who are arguing with him on whether Demas is better than Evans. Put Zach in the calculator.

I was a big fan of this particular exchange:

15wf30m.jpg

Props to Mr. Robinson for standing up to these ass clowns. I mean, Demas is a GREAT prospect and I'd love to have him, but he isn't on Evans' level. He just isn't. And I would maintain that assertion even if Evans was committed to aggy and Demas was committed to us even though it would be a painful admission. They're both game changers, but Evans is something special.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I was a big fan of this particular exchange:

15wf30m.jpg

Props to Mr. Robinson for standing up to these ass clowns. I mean, Demas is a GREAT prospect and I'd love to have him, but he isn't on Evans' level. He just isn't. And I would maintain that assertion even if Evans was committed to aggy and Demas was committed to us even though it would be a painful admission. They're both game changers, but Evans is something special.

An elite running back is more valuable than an elite WR even if they have the same talent level. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Austin has a different vibe, more liberal than the rest of Texas. Austin was different back in the late 90s when I went there and it's lot more different now. I live in LA and if I were to move anywhere else in the country, Austin would be on top of my list. I think this is why Texas should target more out of state kids.

Is is because all the fruit loops on LA are leaving for Austin and it’s your safe space (I also live here in La)

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is is because all the fruit loops on LA are leaving for Austin and it’s your safe space (I also live here in 

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is is because all the fruit loops on LA are leaving for Austin and it’s your safe space (I also live here in La)

Where in LA? I live in Tom Herman's hometown. Thinking of becoming a Texas bagman in LA as my next career move.

Jeff Howe: Longhorns look to East Texas, offer John Tyler's Kitan Crawford

Tyler John Tyler is a powerhouse program in East Texas that’s been good to Texas over the years. A pipeline from Tyler to the Forty Acres that most famously includes Earl Campbell and yielded a pair of All-American defenders who became NFL draft choices in Tim Crowder and Aaron Ross has a chance to grow given the latest offer extended by the Longhorns.

Kitan Crawford, a 2020 cornerback prospect, has now hit double-digit offers after Texas extended one his way on Wednesday. Crawford reported his offer from the Longhorns by way of a post on his Twitter account with John Tyler head coach Ricklan Holmes also reporting the offer. Crawford, a 5-foot-10-inch, 170-pound recruit, has seen his stock steadily rise. Baylor, Arkansas, Houston and Kansas State were among the nine schools to offer Crawford prior to Texas offering with the Longhorns becoming the 10th program to officially throw their hat in the ring for the chance to earn Crawford’s verbal commitment.

A two-way player for the Lions, Crawford rushed for two touchdowns and recorded a receiving touchdown on offense in 2018 while recording 30 tackles, 12 pass breakups and two interceptions on defense. Crawford also runs track for John Tyler and was part of both the sprint relay and the 800-meter relay teams that advanced to the state track meet last year while posting a personal best of 22.16 in the 200-meter dash as a sophomore.

Crawford is currently rated as a three-star prospect by both 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite rankings. The Longhorns don’t currently have a defensive prospect committed in the 2020 class. Texas has three verbal commitments for 2020 to date with Lake Travis four-star dual-threat quarterback Hudson Card (No. 103 overall in the 247Sports Composite), San Antonio O’Connor four-star offensive lineman Logan Parr (No. 133 in the Composite) and Prosper offensive lineman Jake Majors.

Tom Herman led Texas to a 10-4 record in 2018 and a win over Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl before wrapping up a second-consecutive recruiting class ranked No. 3 in the country by 247Sports. The Longhorns haven’t had consecutive consensus top-3 classes since the recruiting industry began tracking recruiting rankings and the challenge for Herman and Co. is to try and put together a third top-five class in a row, something Texas hasn’t done since a three-year run in 2010 (No. 2), 2011 (No. 4) and 2012 (No. 2).

Mike Roach: Arkansas athlete Blayne Toll talks Texas interest

Blayne Toll comes from a small town. The three-star athlete from Hazen (Ark.) will have a chance to expand his horizons because of his talent on the field. Toll saw his stock explode throughout the winter, and he recently picked up offers from Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU and Tennessee. Toll noted that each of those schools are in contact with him, and the Longhorns have reached out as well. “I’m hearing from Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Texas and TCU,” he said.

Toll was contacted by tight ends coach Derek Warehime. Warehime indicated the program’s interest in Toll, but they’d like to get him on campus before they move any further. “He wants me to come to the junior day,” Toll said. “He said we’d talk more there. I’m going to try to make it.” Toll kept up with Texas throughout the year, but his perception of the program is somewhat altered by where he grew up. “I know they used to play Arkansas,” he said. “It was a big game. I wish they still played. I know it’s a really good football school.”

Toll was able to take in the Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia, and he was caught off guard by the Texas performance against one of the SEC powers. “It was real good. They did way better against an SEC team than I thought they would.” Arkansas kids usually stay home, but things didn’t start off well between Toll and the Razorbacks. As his offers increase, Toll said he is not against leaving his home state. “I used to want to stay home, but I’m open to leaving for the right place.”

At 6-foot-5, 231 pounds, Toll is ranked as the No. 7 tight end in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Arkansas, according to 247Sports Composite.

super nintendo offers nothing outside of mario kart.  genesis was far and away the better platform.  I always knew you were a moron. 
Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Megaman X, Dr. Mario, Star Fox

Granted Mario Kart is all you need to be better than Genesis.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Megaman X, Dr. Mario, Star Fox

Granted Mario Kart is all you need to be better than Genesis.

Not to mention the Donkey Kong games, which were great and quite difficult.

Edited to add: SNES Starfox sucked ass.  But N64 Starfox was the shit.

Edited by Katfid54

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, Fud said:

With the staff offering two potential corners yesterday (ideally CB2s in the class after Ringo), I wonder if this guy might get one soon. The couple of days he's gotten Florida, OU, TCU, Va Tech, and Utah

Joshua Eaton

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9801276/5bf4d2f4bd6a1e0ca4ddb50b

After going through the in-state corners, I think this guy is the top corner in the state for 2020 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

After going through the in-state corners, I think this guy is the top corner in the state for 2020 

Huh. I mean, he looks the part as a big, long corner. He plays in a big district, so the competition should be decent. His highlight film is all over the place and lacking, and this kid has no ratings anywhere. How has he flown this far under the radar, does he not do any camps, etc?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Huh. I mean, he looks the part as a big, long corner. He plays in a big district, so the competition should be decent. His highlight film is all over the place and lacking, and this kid has no ratings anywhere. How has he flown this far under the radar, does he not do any camps, etc?

It's still pretty early and he could still do camps this spring. He started getting big offers about a week ago, and if he doesn't get offered after he visits this weekend, then I'd guess that he has some red flags

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wonder if the staff will go after Pouncey’s brother in FLA. TFB has definitely talked him up a lot this cycle.

That’s a tough one for the staff. Unless his brother makes an impact he could be moving on and it’s kinda hard to sell a younger brother when his brother is on the way out.

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's still pretty early and he could still do camps this spring. He started getting big offers about a week ago, and if he doesn't get offered after he visits this weekend, then I'd guess that he has some red flags

I don't know about red flags per se. His HUDL shows me a guy that likes playing WR more than DB. His technique is much more polished and he's more confident and aggressive at WR. He is a damn good football player and I love the STs and blocking highlights but in his DB clips he stands up a lot in his backpedal and is clearly more comfortable playing facing the QB and keeping the play in front of him. I could see them discussing his longterm potential being at DB and wanting to see evolution and development from him to earn that offer. Very high upside at NB, to me. Clearly got the frame, attitude, and effort. I think he'd need a lot of coaching/technique esp in man and that's a personality fit between he and Washington. 

He's got speed but compare his HUDL to Kitan Crawford for instance. Crawford has a suddenness that Eaton lacks (which is also likely because they are 3-4 inches different in height) but you can see with Crawford that not only is he incredibly quick in short space but he can stay low when dropping and then turn and chase comfortably and play the ball (hence the 12 PBUs this past year). 

It's a personal thing but I'd rather a guy be comfortable in man and teach him zone vs. the other. 

I'd be happy with either Eaton or Crawford, btw. I just can see why they might want to see development or get a better mental eval. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don't know about red flags per se. His HUDL shows me a guy that likes playing WR more than DB. His technique is much more polished and he's more confident and aggressive at WR. He is a damn good football player and I love the STs and blocking highlights but in his DB clips he stands up a lot in his backpedal and is clearly more comfortable playing facing the QB and keeping the play in front of him. I could see them discussing his longterm potential being at DB and wanting to see evolution and development from him to earn that offer. Very high upside at NB, to me. Clearly got the frame, attitude, and effort. I think he'd need a lot of coaching/technique esp in man and that's a personality fit between he and Washington.  

He's got speed but compare his HUDL to Kitan Crawford for instance. Crawford has a suddenness that Eaton lacks (which is also likely because they are 3-4 inches different in height) but you can see with Crawford that not only is he incredibly quick in short space but he can stay low when dropping and then turn and chase comfortably and play the ball (hence the 12 PBUs this past year).  

It's a personal thing but I'd rather a guy be comfortable in man and teach him zone vs. the other. 

I'd be happy with either Eaton or Crawford, btw. I just can see why they might want to see development or get a better mental eval.  

I like Crawford a lot too, although I'm curious about his actual size. They might be the two best, depending on what one thinks about Kimber. Kimber is pretty polished and reads routes well, but I have questions about his overall athleticism. 

I'd be really happy with a Ringo and Eaton class (although I'd probably be happy with Ringo plus anyone). Ringo and Watson could eventually replace Cook and Green, and Eaton could be short term depth which turns into a high level starter down the road. 

Just now, Fud said:

I like Crawford a lot too, although I'm curious about his actual size. They might be the two best, depending on what one thinks about Kimber. Kimber is pretty polished and reads routes well, but I have questions about his overall athleticism. 

I'd be really happy with a Ringo and Eaton class (although I'd probably be happy with Ringo plus anyone). Ringo and Watson could eventually replace Cook and Green, and Eaton could be short term depth which turns into a high level starter down the road. 

I thought this might be a 3 corner class? 

2 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

I thought this might be a 3 corner class? 

I think it's most likely two corners, one nickel, two safeties, and then room for another safety spot as a best player available. If you want to call the nickel a corner (could be Watts now that Jaylon Jones is likely off the table, or it could be the California kid who's visiting), then it might be a three corner class. 

Edited by Fud

IT/Nahlin: 2020 Vision Part II: Names (SIAP)

Spoiler

Now that we have an idea of what kind of numbers the staff is working with for the Class of 2020, let's take another look at the current names pinging the radar the hardest.

Remember, tier one in-state athletes and tier one out-of-state athletes are the staff's mindset. We saw how aggressively they recruited outside of the state's borders last cycle and we're seeing a continuation of that. This cycle will differ from the last, however, in that many out-of-state pursuits won't be out of necessity, it will be out of practicality.

Below you'll get an idea of the current big board. It's not set in stone, rather it will evolve throughout the spring. This is a huge couple of months for the staff as they try to make excellent first impressions with first-time visitors, while also solidifying the school at the top of the wish list of those who are already on a first-name basis.

Texas hosted an Elite Day in late January that gave us a clear picture of the top targets. This weekend they'll host more of a cattle call, though numerous priorities will attend with some new ones likely emerging.

Here's how I view the main targets at this early juncture.

(Refer to the Prospect Board if interested in the school a particular player attends)

QUARTERBACK: 1-2

In-state: Texas is thrilled to have a commitment from Hudson Card but numbers could dictate the need for another take. For now, the staff is set on recruiting talented athletes, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Michael Henderson as 'quarterbacks first.' It's a good plan and because of the versatility of Jackson and Henderson, all three players would tuck neatly into the class.

Out-of-state: After landing Bryce Young's favorite target in Bru McCoy, I would stay involved in that recruitment if he's at all interested. He's committed to USC, which as it turns out doesn't mean a whole lot these days. It's a solid little place-holder school, imvho.

Comment: Texas will keep tabs on numbers and needs at the position throughout the cycle but right now its intentions are pretty clear.

(Prediction: Hudson Card will continue rising up the ranks and it will be blamed on media conspiracy when really it will be about people understanding that beautiful release and arm)

RUNNING BACK: 2

In-state: All commentary at the position begins with someone we've been talking about for over a year: Zachary Evans. He's the belle of the ball and the nation's No. 1 composite player. It will be a hotly contested recruitment that won't conclude until the end of the cycle. Because of that and because of needs, Texas has to recruit this position strategically. Options are too good both in-state and nationwide for Stan Drayton to not land an elite running back.

Jase McClellan is another five-star feature back the staff has interest in. Tom Herman spent a lot of time personally recruiting McClellan during Elite Day. Despite his commitment to OU, I hear he has legitimate interest in Texas and that was certainly the case prior to his commitment to the Sooners.

Seth McGowan is another talented runner with an offer but UT failed to make his top eight. I basically called this scenario when he was offered. Texas would have to recruit him like a #1, but because they didn't view him that way it wasn't going to happen. He's too good to be put in the corner, but not good enough to put in the spotlight.

Ty Jordan is both a complementary back and one who could shoulder a bigger load. He's explosive and well-built and would make a fine RB2 in the class. It remains to be seen just how hard the staff will press. This is the type of class that should see them looking for an elite RB1 and a very good RB1 at a minimum.

Out-of-state: Despite the talented roster of in-state prospects the staff is looking East to West.

Five-star Kendall Milton is supposed to make the trip from Fresno to Austin within the next week. He'll also visit Norman which will surely remind him of home. Texas has a chance to make some headway here. (No, I don't see UT landing two five-stars in the class)

Other runners from beyond the border who will visit in the coming months are Sam Adams, Bijan Robinson, and Jo'Quavious Marks. Adams is an Aggie legacy but he grew up in Washington. Robinson and Marks are from two areas where UT is trying to expand its footprint: Arizona and Georgia respectively.

More running backs who hold an offer may visit but those are the ones I've heard will make the trip.

Comment: Landing any of the five-stars makes the class a success but Evans is the No. 1 RB1. Land a five-star and everything else is a bonus.

WIDE RECEIVER: 2-3

In-state: The class is loaded at the top with Demond Demas and Troy Omeire, but things get a little lonely for those two after that. I, like many others, am fond of Temple's Quentin Johnston but he hasn't been offered.

Demas is committed to A&M and looking 10 months ahead I think that will hold, sort of like Javonne Shepherd but in favor of the black hats.

Troy Omeire is one the staff views as a great fit to replace Collin Johnson, but he's leaning A&M at this point too. At some point the staff will apprise him of the fact Devin Duvernay was about as productive as A&M's leading wide receiver in 2018. @stringsays will say that's because A&M accrued half of its season's passing yardage and points on a short field versus LSU but I think it's deeper than that.

Beyond Demas and Omeire there is a handful of receivers the staff likes but doesn't love, and in a small class, they're going to take their time and look nationally.

There is also Ja'Quinden Jackson who could potentially end up as an LJH-type slot. The staff has also offered Keaontay Ingram's brother, Kelvontay Dixon, who could be a wide receiver or defensive back. I like him at Z.

Out-of-state: Recall the 2018 cycle when the staff ambitiously pursued tight end Mustapha Muhammad. I mentioned at the time that UT had everything going for it except 'usage on display'. Since Herman's arrival, his staff has put together good usage of every single position on the field (some more than others). The more players that experience success at a position, the easier it is to sell that position to recruits. It makes it even easier when a prospect being recruited is presented with immediate opportunity.

That preamble is directed towards five-star Southern California receiver Johnny Wilson. It's cliche to compare Player X to UT Player Y, but damn if he isn't eerily similar to Collin Johnson. Wilson is supposed to visit in March. Hope that Bru McCoy is loving his time in Austin because that sure won't hurt. UT is in Wilson's top five along with Ohio State, Washington, UCLA, and Oregon. This recruitment is certainly winnable but he doesn't plan to announce until late in the cycle. That's fine, if the staff can be selective that means the staff can be patient.

St. Louis' Mookie Cooper can be considered a running back or receiver but I think he's clearly a slot receiver in the eyes of the staff. UT has been in a good position for him dating back to last summer. He's expected back on campus this weekend.

Comment: Texas can afford to be selective and so far has only extended seven offers at the position. The goal should be to find a clear fit at each spot. X and H already have clearly defined targets.

TIGHT END: 1-2

In-state: The aforementioned Michael Henderson is being recruited with TE/H-back in mind in case quarterback doesn't work out. Expect UT to be judicious at this position as well to allow time to turn over every rock. There are plenty of guys to evaluate.

Out-of-state: Stud Washington product DJ Washington says he intends on visiting but doesn't have a date set yet.

Ryan King from Kenyatta Watson's high school has an offer. He's listed as a wide receiver but could grow into a tight end.

Comment: Texas doesn't lack for numbers or young talent so the patient approach is wise. Based on my familiarity with evaluating senior film the last ten years, they'd have no trouble finding a very good in-state option late if need be.

OFFENSIVE LINE: 5

In-state: Texas has an ideal class for the taking, with Logan Parr and Jake Majors already committed. Two down, three to go and Texas is in good standing with Jaylen Garth, Chad Lindberg, and Damieon George. 

Helping matters further, should Texas miss on George there are a number of viable back-up plans in-state and elsewhere. Many are even better options but he comes with special considerations.

UT needs to close the deal with Garth and Lindberg. I feel great on Garth but will have to wait and see how much Lindberg enjoys his trip to Stanford next month. For now I remain optimistic but I'll be curious how that visit goes.

Out-of-state: Texas has already hosted Chris Morris and him taking an official visit wouldn't surprise me. A visit from Seth McLaughlin, should the staff push, wouldn't surprise either. Recently the staff targeted Arizona once again by extending an offer to Tosh Baker. His mother attended UT. He'd be an intriguing tackle take and who doesn't like those.

Comment: Offensive line recruiting is currently running on schedule.

DEFENSIVE LINE: 4

In-state: It may not be the ideal class, simply because Arizona's Jason Harris is a monster, but UT could land four from in-state and live happily ever after.

Vernon "It's Already Been" Broughton is probably going to end up a five-star and UT is right there for his services. A&M has entered the picture and I'm still trying to figure out just how genuine of a threat the Ags are. I've written a ton about him and I don't think he goes far from home. He can play anywhere on the d-line. He's special.

Prince Dorbah would be the slicing, dicing, edge rusher for the class. He's seen as a Texas/Oklahoma battle. Recently he told a reporter that OU hasn't been recruiting him as hard since the hiring of Alex Grinch. I'd love to know the reasoning. My lone concern with Dorbah has been whether or not he's a fit for a three-man front. Texas has no such concerns so you shouldn't either.

Alfred Collins is a Longhorn legacy and the ideal 4i defensive end. He's explosive for the position but also has the desired length. UT looks good but he's another one where A&M is hanging around.

Princely Umanmielen is what I'm talking about when I say the staff prefers to grow their interior prospects. He's the T'Vondre Sweat of the class when it comes to fit and projection.

Out-of-state: Jason Harris from Arizona is visiting UT next weekend. Given UT's scheme I imagine the sell will be for B-backer in order to highlight his arc-running abilities.

Comments: Land Broughton and Collins and the d-line is guaranteed to earn an "A" from me.

LINEBACKER: 2-3

In-state: Slim pickings in-state, but what's new?

Texas has offered Brennon Scott who I'm a big fan of. He can do pretty much whatever is asked of him. If something sinks him as a player, it won't be lack of physicality or movement skills. He's visiting this weekend and that's pretty big. UT has some momentum here. I hope they get him.

Texas likes, but doesn't love Cy Creek's Josh White. 

One to watch is Stafford's Robert Wooten as a B-backer. He could emerge as someone who is too good to pass on.

Out-of-state: Justin Flowe is the best linebacker in the country unless you talk to our friend who resides just outside of the country. He'll visit along with his highly rated younger brother later this spring. With USC caught in the undertow anything is possible here.

Texas will also receive a visit from Seattle's Sav'ell Smalls. Right now I have him as a B-backer because that's how you recruit him. He could grow into a 4i which would suit his movement skills better.

Comments: Like with wide receiver the plan here is to be selective and take the temperature of primary targets. After guys like Flowe and Smalls visit the staff will have a better idea of how to attack the cycle.

One thing to remember is the myriad prospects who may best project to linebacker but don't currently play the position in high school. Those players come with risk but having just landed four linebackers the staff can roll the dice if it comes down to it.

DEFENSIVE BACK: 5

In-state safety: Probably the hardest number to manage in the cycle is safety. Reasons for that are two-fold: there are a lot of them, and some may be linebackers long term.

The staff is recruiting Bryson Washington like he's a priority and if that continues they're the favorites. He has great size and speed and could fit a number of roles. He looks the part of the current Texas safety.

Chris Thompson is another priority. He played a linebacker-ish role this past season for the State runner-ups but still looks like a safety in college. Thompson just got back from Clemson and will make a number of visits before a possible summer announcement. He hasn't been on campus in a while and the staff needs to address that. Of course they'll have the pulse of this recruitment.

The staff recently offered Xavion Alford who probably had the best safety tape in the state. He's the owner of some serious twitch and coverage skills making nickel a possibility. He's visiting Austin this weekend. A&M is the early perceived leader but let's see how the next couple of days go.

Highly rated Dwight McGlothern will visit on Saturday. The staff's pursuit of him doesn't entirely reconcile with his rating but Craig Naivar was recruiting him dating back to when McGlothern was attending New Caney.

My feeling is the staff has backed off Darius Snow. Clean fits matter and he doesn't have one. It would be different if he said he was fine playing linebacker but that isn't the case. He would be too one-dimensional as a box player if he remained at safety.

Out-of-state safety: The staff should be able to load up at home, but just in case...

Arizona's Lathan Ransom is the main safety target from outside of Texas. He's a less twitchier Caden Sterns, meaning they can line him up in a number of roles. Ransom is naturally bigger, too. He'll visit this spring and his father has a close friend who lives in the area. Hopefully its Matthew McConaughey. Each Arizona kid helps with the next, and with Ransom being friends with Kelee Ringo you try and build a consensus with players from the state. Put Jake and Brayden and the rest of the lacrosse team on them.

Clark Phillips plays corner but would be a nickel for Texas. Tellingly, Craig Naivar has been recruiting him. Phillips left UT out of his top twelve but that's mainly a function of being later to offer. He says he'll visit and that's all that matters.

In-state corner: It's a down year for the position in-state, which means there are only numerous solid options rather than great ones.

Texas will host new offers Ryan Watts and Jahari Rogers this weekend. Watts seems very high on UT and would serve as the true-corner version of Jaylon Jones. Rogers is an electric athlete but is also an OU legacy.

Another player who should make it in is Jalen Kimber, who profiles similarly to Marcus Banks at this same time last year. He's high on A&M.

I like each but none blow me away. Watts would probably be my preference of this group, but the staff is looking hard out-of-state and getting positive feedback.

Watch for Aldine MacArthur corner Joshua Eaton to potentially receive an offer. He may have more upside than any corner in the state and he's been on an offer-tear.

Out-of-state corner: Absent an elite in-state talent, the staff is looking across the entire panorama for a lead corner.

Five-star Kelee Ringo has visited twice and Texas will get an official visit. That's about all you can ask for in a recruitment like that. It doesn't hurt having Bryant Westbrook for a high school coach. Westbrook of course was not a Texas native either, which helps the pitch.

Oklahoma four-star Myles Slusher is expected on campus this weekend. Pulling him from that territory would be difficult but get him to campus and see what happens.

Jason Washington has been on two high upside Florida corners in five-star Fred Davis and future top-1oo Jahquez Robinson. While I bet they visit, especially Robinson, I don't see Texas as legitimate threats at this point.

The staff also went back to Buford, Georgia, the school they signed Derrian Brown out of in 2019. T Lee is currently committed to Arizona State but will visit campus.

CLOSING

If I didn't list a player it doesn't mean the staff isn't recruiting him, but this is my view of the Big Board from the outside looking in.

How many times did I write the term 'five-star'? Indeed, this should be an exceptional class but the staff has a ton of work ahead of it. There's no time to start like the presen

• Like 1

IT/Wells: The Recruiting Notebook - 2/14/19

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

We start in Dallas with a throwback type linebacker, stay in the area for one of the nation's most coveted safeties, head south to Bastrop for a massive d-lineman prospect, and finish in Lewisville with a safety trapped in a linebacker’s body. It's the Recruiting Notebook, y'all. 

Brennon Scott, LB - Dallas Bishop Dunne
Hudl/highlights
How he fits at Texas: Bishop Dunne uses Scott in a few different roles, at times like Todd Orlando uses the rover and at other times more like a joker or B-backer. Essentially he's playing downhill a lot, he just tends to do so from wider alignments than a typical attacking piece. Then at other times he even plays on the DL as a DE or 3-technique. At Texas he's a pretty obvious fit as a rover that will be positioned to spend a lot of his time attacking the backfield from a variety of angles. - Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths - A strong and instinctive outside linebacker who looks both comfortable and effective in space and rushing the passer. Good height and looks like he could add 30 lbs easily. Long arms. Shows very strong upper body at the point of attack. Will usually rush half the man effectively. Excellent gap discipline and has a good understanding of where he needs to be and how to get there. He looks to have above average straight line speed and can be very tenacious at times. Appears well-built and flexible. Delivers quite the blow on tackles. Areas for Improvement - Highlights show many plays where he’s making a big hit and not wrapping up. Not hard to find opponent film that shows this costing his team a big play or two. Has a lot of highlights where he is demolishing overmatched opponents. Loses speed on change of direction and agility may be quite limited as evident on his camp 1-on-1 tape. This is confirmed by opponent tape showing him flat footed and effectively stiff-armed and juked by a smaller RB. Does not show a combination of pass rush moves relying mostly on bull rush and straight line speed to get into the backfield. Highlights lack demonstration of ball skills in pass coverage. Inconsistent motor on opponent highlights is disappointing.

How this affects Texas: Scott offers the Longhorns the rare, throwback type linebacker. He can fill gaps, avoid the wash, track and smack, but he's also solid in space and can do a lot in the box. Scott earned his Texas offer last month at Elite Day and has been happy about it ever since. No idea on the decision timeline here but UT wants him and will push to get him. He's the best LB in space in-state since Malik Jefferson and Baron Browning. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder has the frame to add functional mass and maintain his athleticism. Take. - Justin Wells

Chris Thompson, S - Duncanville
Hudl/highlights
How he fits at Texas: My own introduction to Thompson was in his role as a dime/will linebacker in the state title game. Thompson helped Duncanville shut down Zach Evans with his ability to close and erase space on the edge that Evans wanted badly to hit, and his blitzing ability that helped D-Ville's loaded DL get 1-on-1 matchups that sunk the North Shore OL. When Duncanville faced less extreme spread spacing, he often lined up as a traditional safety but would be positioned to close on the run much like DeShon Elliott in 2017. His future is as a hybrid player that can be a safety that is deployed aggressively against the run or as a blitzer in nickel and dime packages, playing on the boundary or as a joker in dime. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - A tall player with room to add bulk especially in the lower body. Highlights show play after play of box play and coming downhill in run support from the safety position. His high school tape clearly shows elements of what Texas asks the PJ Locke nickel role to do, but he's a better, meaner version of PJ. Aggressive and loves to hit. More than a match for running backs at and around the line of scrimmage. Finds a second gear once he’s diagnosed the play. Areas of Concern - Highlights are 95% run support and limited pass coverage. Lower body explosiveness seems limited. Limited coverage highlights show an interception as a robber, and a couple of plays where he goes for a big hit instead of the ball. Change of direction is a question mark and hips don’t seem as fluid as I would expect. Struggles to disengage from linemen on opponent film.

How this affects Texas: Thompson is that strike-first player that relishes contact, and tackles like his life depended on it. He's aggressive, calculating, and anchored one of the best HS defenses I ever watched at Duncanville last fall. Some publications already have him as one of the best safeties in the nation and his offer list matches that evaluation. Texas has been hitting like an all-star on its safety takes the last two seasons, and Thompson is a top target that might join that list. UT will battle LSU and A&M for his services, but Texas started building this relationship over a year ago and that helps. He's fond of the Longhorns, who will have every opportunity to snag the four-star from DFW. - JW

Alfred Collins, DL - Bastrop Cedar Creek
Hudl/highlights
How he fits at Texas: Collins is 6-5, 250 with a really quick first step...the potential applications with that skill set are pretty extensive along the DL. This is the kind of player that Texas wants to load up with, guys with the length and frame to handle inside alignments at 4i or nose against the league's big OL and the quickness to beat those guys to spots. Texas' scheme really frees up quick-moving guys to shoot gaps and create penetration and Collins' ability to win to a spot and keep blockers at bay with his reach could make him a run-stopping nightmare with some potential to collapse the pocket in the pass-rush. His film at TE is hilarious, he's totally overpowered for the role of attacking DEs and edge players with angles, and he could probably grow into a dominant OL as well if he chose that path. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - A tall man with lots of room to add more weight. Excellent wingspan. Good hip roll and fluid athlete for his size. Good change of direction, acceleration and lots of lower body explosion as he’s also a basketball player. Above average straight line speed (check out the highlight of him running down a slot receiver). Plays tight end as well and I wouldn’t mind seeing him play both ways. Even though a defensive tackle, I could see him as a 5-tech in the 3-4 or a 4i. Could even see 4-3 end with the athleticism. Looks like he could literally be sculpted to be whatever football Adonis that Yancy McKnight wants to make him. Two-time all-district (sophomore and junior year). Mom played hoops at UT and mama knows best. Cousin plays for the Patriots. Areas for Improvement - Not much to pick at here. Looks like a young man whose body has grown faster than his ability to master all of what he can do. Would like to see him develop pass rush moves aside from just throwing high schoolers around.

How this affects Texas: At 6-foot-5, 250-ish, Collins is exactly what Texas wants to fill their interior defensive line needs. With the staff looking at four d-linemen in this cycle if you include Prince Dorbah, Collins fits the profile of a large, athletic monster with multiple assignment capabilities and upside all around. He also brings the demeanor the UT coaches crave; hard-working, high motor, and the frame and attitude to be a terror on the 40 Acres. Texas did good getting on Collins early. Now they just have to maintain the communication and continue building the relationship. He's a keeper. - JW

Darius Snow, DB - Lewisville Hebron
Hudl/highlights
How he fits at Texas: Snow is very comfortable playing in space for a guy listed at 215. Hebron's been using him as a free safety that can insert into the box at the snap and he gets into open gaps in a hurry and with a lot of force. He's the kind of guy that can allow a defense to vacate the box against spread alignments and still arrive to stop the run despite playing eight or more yards off the ball before the snap. He could probably spin down to LB but he's fast and rangy enough that it'd be better to leave him back and give him assignments like Brandon Jones or DeShon Elliott drew that allow him to be nosy around the box. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Good size for the position and appears thickly built. Plays downhill in run support, hits the alley, makes quick decisions and wants to play a physical game. Straight line speed appears good for the position. Generally good hips and change of direction for the safety position. Shows good half field coverage as a field safety. Opponent tape is notable for some great plays to limit their success. Nothing on opponent film to suggest a negative. Areas for Improvement - Takes on runners too high much of the time. Will get trucked in college if he doesn’t clean that up. Would like to see more pass coverage on film. Would like to see more ball skills on film.

How this affects Texas: The writing is on the wall for Snow. His size and speed are adequate, but his future is at linebacker, a position he refuses to acknowledge. With top targets like Chris Thompson, Bryson Washington, and Xavion Alford entrenched on the big board, Snow's unwillingness to be versatile and move towards the box may affect how this recruitment goes moving forward. Texas does great things with safeties, but they use linebackers too. Still, Snow is a unique prospect that will land somewhere nice, just not sure about Austin. - JW