Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

...why is that, exactly? 

Austin has a different vibe, more liberal than the rest of Texas. Austin was different back in the late 90s when I went there and it's lot more different now. I live in LA and if I were to move anywhere else in the country, Austin would be on top of my list. I think this is why Texas should target more out of state kids.

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Austin has a different vibe, more liberal than the rest of Texas. Austin was different back in the late 90s when I went there and it's lot more different now. I live in LA and if I were to move anywhere else in the country, Austin would be on top of my list. I think this is why Texas should target more out of state kids.

Yeah, well, personally that passes none of my smell tests either. Austin was different to me in the late 90s when I graduated HS and moved there...but it was different in the sense that I was in fucking college and not at HS, living with my parents. Everything is fucking different from the suburbs of Houston when you are 18 years old. Also, in my experience of living in Houston, Austin, Houston, Austin, and then back to Houston...I can honestly say that at this point Austin is more like Houston than it has ever been at anytime since I've been familiar with either city. They even look alike. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

IT's Junior Day visitors list (so far)

QB Cameron Peters, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

RB Tahj Brooks, Manor (Manor, TX)

RB Mookie Cooper, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

RB Kendall Milton, Buchanan (Clovis, CA) – February 23rd

RB Sevion Morrison, Edison (Tulsa, OK)

RB D’Aunte Prevost, Bowie (Arlington, TX)

WR Javian Hester, Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK)

WR Caleb Medford, Henderson (Henderson, TX) - March 9th

WR Keith Miller, The Colony (The Colony, TX)

TE Shamar Thomas, Kountze (Kountze, TX)

TE Bayne Tryon, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX)

OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX)

OL Cedric Melton, Klein Cain (Houston, TX)

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner (Sugar Land, TX)

OL RJ Proctor, Virginia grad transfer

OL Willie Tyler, Iowa Western C.C.

DT Caleb Fox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX)

DT Sawyer Goram-Welch, Longview (Longview, TX)

DT Kendall Johnson, South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX)

DT Braedon Nutter, Memorial (Tomball, TX)

DE Devin Grant, Antonian Prep (San Antonio, TX)

DE Jason Harris, Higley (Gilbert, AZ)

DE Martez Poynter, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

DE DeSanto Rollins, Trinity Episcopal Day School (Natchez, MS)

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX)

DE Robert Wooten, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

LB Corey Flagg, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)

LB Jeremiah Harris, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)

LB Adrian Johnson, Fort Bend Ridge Point (Missouri City, TX)

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX)

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX)

CB Dabari Hawkins, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX)

CB Dwight McGlothern, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)

CB Myles Slusher, Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK)

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX)

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)

S Abner Dubar, Anna (Anna, TX)

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX)

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT's Junior Day visitors list (so far)

Hide contents

QB Cameron Peters, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

RB Tahj Brooks, Manor (Manor, TX)

RB Mookie Cooper, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

RB Kendall Milton, Buchanan (Clovis, CA) – February 23rd

RB Sevion Morrison, Edison (Tulsa, OK)

RB D’Aunte Prevost, Bowie (Arlington, TX)

WR Javian Hester, Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK)

WR Caleb Medford, Henderson (Henderson, TX) - March 9th

WR Keith Miller, The Colony (The Colony, TX)

TE Shamar Thomas, Kountze (Kountze, TX)

TE Bayne Tryon, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX)

OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX)

OL Cedric Melton, Klein Cain (Houston, TX)

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner (Sugar Land, TX)

OL RJ Proctor, Virginia grad transfer

OL Willie Tyler, Iowa Western C.C.

DT Caleb Fox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX)

DT Sawyer Goram-Welch, Longview (Longview, TX)

DT Kendall Johnson, South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX)

DT Braedon Nutter, Memorial (Tomball, TX)

DE Devin Grant, Antonian Prep (San Antonio, TX)

DE Jason Harris, Higley (Gilbert, AZ)

DE Martez Poynter, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

DE DeSanto Rollins, Trinity Episcopal Day School (Natchez, MS)

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX)

DE Robert Wooten, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

LB Corey Flagg, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)

LB Jeremiah Harris, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)

LB Adrian Johnson, Fort Bend Ridge Point (Missouri City, TX)

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX)

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX)

CB Dabari Hawkins, Stafford (Stafford, TX)

CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX)

CB Dwight McGlothern, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)

CB Myles Slusher, Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK)

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX)

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)

S Abner Dubar, Anna (Anna, TX)

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX)

So this will be more like a camp then? Because there are not many actual targets here.

Edited by Not a Sock
I struggle with the english language.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I believe Demas was bought. 

I don't either. He wouldn't be visiting Texas or other schools so many times if that were the case. There might have been payments to a certain agent to make sure he remains committed, but I think he committed in the first place because he got swept up in the high of the close Clemson loss and gelled well with their players and commits.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I believe Demas was bought. 

Well when a player does not list them as an option only to commit shortly after first campus visit that tends to be a sign. Also when said team he committed to has a leading receiver whos stats rival duvernay who was Texas 3rd leading receiver, and then talks up their passing game and how he fits their antiquated offensive system there is yet another sign. Third sign=Craig his lead recruiter 

Edited by Dondrysdale1

6 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

So this will be more like a camp then? Because there are not many actual targets here.

Not a camp, but an event for the staff to form relationships with HS coaches and under-the-radar recruits. Like CTJ said yesterday, a few of these guys could be late bloomer takes, and others will be good PWO candidates.

Now that we have Elite Day, I think the staff doesn't feel they have to get all the priority targets on campus for this big event, and would rather push them to visit on other weekends when they can spend more 1-on-1 time with the recruit and his family.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Other than outright cheating, mental retardation or aggy DNA/brainwashing, does anybody have any idea why a recruit would commit to A&M?

The recruit sucks, so it is a good opportunity for playing time?

Edited by Katfid54

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Other than outright cheating, mental retardation or aggy DNA/brainwashing, does anybody have any idea why a recruit would commit to A&M?

I have a theory about this. The recruit thinks his only competition for girls are the likes of Hamm and Liucci. They get to rule the campus for 3-4 years and pussy is always undefeated. 

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They don’t make them go to class, they don’t drug test them, they pay their players under the table.  You hear Herman keep using the word culture fit.  Aggy also has their own culture where you can skip class, get high, sign autographs for money, get paid by the coaches to host recruits, etc... some kids like that stuff.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Well when a player does not list them as an option only to commit shortly after first campus visit that tends to be a sign. Also when said team he committed to has a leading receiver whos stats rival duvernay who was Texas 3rd leading receiver, and then talks up their passing game and how he fits their antiquated offensive system there is yet another sign. Third sign=Craig his lead recruiter 

I'm not so sure that you're not confusing Demond Demas with Dylan Wright, so let me spell it out for you and Katfid: Just because they're both tall, african american men that play outside receiver and wear their hair up doesn't mean they're the same person. They're not. 

The Duvernay shit is the same kind of backwards ass logic that aggy applies to their recruits and decision-making. Don't do it, we're all better than that shit. It's all over their boards, and it's eye-rolling level stupid every time we have to read about why elite talent won't come here because it's not in the SEC/Wont' Get Drafted. Demas isn't comparing himself to Duvernay because Demas thinks he's better than everyone, and he's different. 

As for the specifics of Demas, my counterpoint to that is that typically guys who have been bought directly don't have buyer's remorse within 2 days and have to be talked down from decommitting by Dameyune Craig, FWK, and Taylor Hamm going full Fyre Festival guy via a conference call. Usually they're busy counting their money and buying something stupid, not having a small breakdown about having made a mistake. That usually happens till at least after the money runs out and they need an infusion of cash. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As for the specifics of Demas, my counterpoint to that is that typically guys who have been bought directly don't have buyer's remorse within 2 days and have to be talked down from recommitting by Dameyune Craig, FWK, and Taylor Hamm via a conference call. Usually they're busy counting their money and buying something stupid, not having a small breakdown about having made a mistake. That usually happens till at least after the money runs out and they need an infusion of cash. 

Your scenario is certainly plausible, but it could be they slipped him a few hundred for committing with promises of more later. Once he got home and people informed him of the value of a promise, he decided he made a mistake selling out so cheaply. Or it could be the money sounded good until they started making conditions, like no more trips to Austin or other schools, and he decided that wasn't worth the original amount. Dickerson's driving aggy's Trans-Am to Dallas tells us all we need to know about how far buyer's remorse can take you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Your scenario is certainly plausible, but it could be they slipped him a few hundred for committing with promises of more later. Once he got home and people informed him of the value of a promise, he decided he made a mistake selling out so cheaply. Or it could be the money sounded good until they started making conditions, like no more trips to Austin or other schools, and he decided that wasn't worth the original amount. Dickerson's driving aggy's Trans-Am to Dallas tells us all we need to know about how far buyer's remorse can take you.

your mom slipped me a couple hundreds when I left her room this morning. 

5 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

That kind of buyer's remorse depends on the individual, so it's dangerous to make a blanket statement just because Eric Dickerson is a sociopath that held down multiple hookers while Craig James murdered them. Also, while he may not have liked the conditions and continued to visit Austin, his commitment has gotten stronger over the past year which means he actually has gotten to like aTm better, got more money, or both. Either way, I think it's hardly a slam dunk to say the kid was bought outright...and then transferred to live in the household of a UT fan in Tomball. Because that would make sense if you're getting tons of illegal payments. If he was handed a huge bag of cash, by the way, I don't think there's any way his buddy Shepherd ends up signing with Texas considering Im pretty sure we didn't pay for his signature. 

I don't personally think he was directly bought. But plenty of others might have more insight. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As for the specifics of Demas, my counterpoint to that is that typically guys who have been bought directly don't have buyer's remorse within 2 days and have to be talked down from decommitting by Dameyune Craig, FWK, and Taylor Hamm going full Fyre Festival guy via a conference call. Usually they're busy counting their money and buying something stupid, not having a small breakdown about having made a mistake. That usually happens till at least after the money runs out and they need an infusion of cash. 

This is my impression from what I've heard as well. He got swept up in the moment and committed without anything dirty going on. It might have changed since then, but at the time it was just an emotional decision. 

Also let's not forget that at the time of the Demas commitment, we were coming off to a loss to Maryland and a nail-biter over Tulsa. Sam hadn't emerged yet. CJ and LJ were good but the numbers their great seasons weren't expected at that point. The negative recruiting about us wasting CJ didn't sound so crazy. Basically, it's not like he had all the positive information about us at the time of his commitment. Hell, even some of our favorite 2019 commits were having their doubts at that point. 

His recruitment is dramatic and still open but it isn't as bad as some people are wanting it to be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is my impression from what I've heard as well. He got swept up in the moment and committed without anything dirty going on. It might have changed since then, but at the time it was just an emotional decision. 

Also let's not forget that at the time of the Demas commitment, we were coming off to a loss to Maryland and a nail-biter over Tulsa. Sam hadn't emerged yet. CJ and LJ were good but the numbers their great seasons weren't expected at that point. The negative recruiting about us wasting CJ didn't sound so crazy. Basically, it's not like he had all the positive information about us at the time of his commitment. Hell, even some of our favorite 2019 commits were having their doubts at that point. 

His recruitment is dramatic and still open but it isn't as bad as some people are wanting it to be. 

Demas is turning into a bell cow for Aggy 2020 class. It's not easy to flip these guys unless all wheels come off the Aggy wagon, which of course is a distinct possibility, and Texas becomes a playoff contender.