Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

7 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Baylor goes from garbage to the best in the conference by grabbing a couple of linemen from the portal. We refuse to bring in o-linemen from the portal and are doing crap like this. This is why we will have a 6-win regular season in 2022. So much talent at the skill positions will be wasted. Sark will have no one to blame but himself when he gets fired. 

The detail you are missing is that Gorham-Welch is not taking up another scholarship spot. We need a bandaid to get us through the spring, but the long term direction of the line is clear. There is no way this guy was going to see the field on either side of the ball for the next 2 years so putting him somewhere just to fill out the roster is about the best thing you can do with him at this point. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Baylor goes from garbage to the best in the conference by grabbing a couple of linemen from the portal. We refuse to bring in o-linemen from the portal and are doing crap like this. This is why we will have a 6-win regular season in 2022. So much talent at the skill positions will be wasted. Sark will have no one to blame but himself when he gets fired. 

They had a top 10 defense this year. I dont think that had anything to do with grabbing a couple OL, not to mention replacing the ghost of Charlie Brewer with a QB that can throw the ball more than 6 yards down field probably helped. They completely over-hauled the system with a new OC. You dont go from 2 wins to 12 wins, because a couple transfer OL.  A lot changed and went right at Baylor this past season, trying to say it was just a couple OL transfers is confirmation bias at its best. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They went out and signed 7 offensive lineman, including the best tackle and best guard in the country.

I am worried we lose some or all of those guys to the portal with a 5 or 6 win season. That is a very real possibility because we are running out this same abysmal o-line. 

Edited by JFKFC
typo
  • Fuck You 1

You jackwagons draw me back in. Off the top of my head so forgive me if off.

Run stats way better than pass pro for the Oline. Average line yards, stuff rate were top 15 in the country. And no that wasn’t Bijan. Robinson at Bama and what his face at MSU along with Bijan were noted thru the year as the top tackle breakers. But the line yards is the production irrespective of the back. Nonetheless our run metrics were better than MSU and Bama. Our line yards were better on standard downs than passing downs. Opportunity rate was top 20. Power success rate was 43. Our sack rate was terrible on standard downs and better than average (45th) on pass downs.

We played 4 of the top 20 sack guys in the NCAA and that doesn’t include Bonitto. OSU was tops in the country in TFLs.

Bijan averaged 5.8 per carry. Roschon 6. Keilan 7. Freshman dude was above 6.

All this with imperfect blocking out of the RB and TE positions. Two of 3 sacks vs OSU we’re at the hands of the RBs, at least in part. I remember 3 plays versus BU for no or negative yards due to others outside the OL. Our QBs almost never evaded a dead to rights sack.

Inside the numbers. Our power success rate was lower than other run metrics because we didn’t incorporate Roschon enough whether that was wildcat or two back. We also didn’t get the QB on the edge for run or pass.

Now pass pro. Explain how the sack rate on standard downs is twice that of pass downs. In part because we’re looking for big hits. Also probably cause the defense is looking to lock down Bijan first and foremost so there’s extra bodies attacking the LOS. If you wanted to find comfort, there is some to be found in that when teams were playing pass defense the sack rate was better than when doing play action.

No shit they weren’t all Americans, and they whiffed too often in pass pro, but there’s absolutely data that should provide faith that in year 2 with a good staff there will be improvement. And going all in on freshmen versus transfer guys was a very logical move.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

And going all in on freshmen versus transfer guys was a very logical move.

......not if we suck and many (or most) of our elite o-line freshman decide to transfer. We didn't need to win the Big 12 in 2022 but we needed to get to at least 8 wins to have hopes of retaining all of these o-line recruits. That is not likely to happen because of our certain poor o-line play.

• Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

......not if we suck and many (or most) of our elite o-line freshman decide to transfer. We didn't need to win the Big 12 in 2022 but we needed to get to at least 8 wins to have hopes of retaining all of these o-line recruits. That is not likely to happen because of our certain poor o-line play.

I’m confused why you keep mentioning like. Were the coaches supposed to sit around in the meeting room in late November and go “Well, we could have the best tackle and guard in the high school ranks, but what happens if we lose 6 games next year? That could be scary. Yeah, getting bad ass players in here isn’t worth the risk. What’s the phone number again for that western Kentucky transfer?”

Edited by Hookem2147

My guess is that Banks and Campbell if not Williams want quite a bit of playing time next year. I’m not sure wins is critical to their thinking. Banks and Campbell likely get in a 3 man rotation fairly quickly. I don’t think Jones, Karic or Conner concede their chances.

If you bring in Portal guys, do you promise to start them? If so, everyone we have or will have moves down the depth chart. Less playing time for the frosh. Less playing time for the returnees. There is risk for the transfer - how do they fit the system, how well do they mesh with the team, and how much more talented are they? Portal guys even for only a year could have a greater negative impact on the depth chart next year and future years.

If you’re playing for a national championship this coming year, that may change the philosophy on transfers versus high schoolers, but that’s not where we are.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I am worried we lose some or all of those guys to the portal with a 5 or 6 win season. That is a very real possibility because we are running out this same abysmal o-line. 

Jesus, we haven't even gotten to spring practice and you have us w/ 7 losses.  I'm not saying drink the coolaid, but put the gun down. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m confused why you keep mentioning like. Were the coaches supposed to sit around in the meeting room in late November and go “Well, we could have the best tackle and guard in the high school ranks, but what happens if we lose 6 games next year?

Getting elite freshmen o-line recruits AND signing some 1-year contributors for the line (to help us to 8 or 9 wins) are not mutually exclusive. 

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Jesus, we haven't even gotten to spring practice and you have us w/ 7 losses.  I'm not saying drink the coolaid, but put the gun down. 

If we run out essentially the same starters on the o-line as last season, I think 7 wins is our ceiling but we likely go 6-6. 5-7 isn't out of the question. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

Getting elite freshmen o-line recruits AND signing some 1-year contributors for the line (to help us to 8 or 9 wins) are not mutually exclusive. 

Yes, it is.

We don't get the OL class we got without immediate playing time and depth chart spots available. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

We don't get the OL class we got without immediate playing time and depth chart spots available. 

This is where we disagree. I think it is very possible. It is Sark's job. This is why he is paid many millions. What good is signing elite freshmen if they will leave because your team sucks on the field (again)?

If we run out mostly last year's o-linemen as starters and we get to 8 or more wins, I will tip my hat and admit I was wrong. 

If we win only 5, 6 or 7 games in 2022, and (as I fear) we lose some of these elite freshmen o-line recruits, I won't expect the same from you. Everyone will be pissed in November & December but deluded optimism will have hit again by January 2023. 

8 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If we run out mostly last year's o-linemen as starters and we get to 8 or more wins, I will tip my hat and admit I was wrong. 

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

We would have won 8 games last year if the defense had a pulse against Kansas, West Virginia (where the OL helped Keilan and Roschon rush for over 7 yards a carry) and OU. Outside of Arkansas and OSU and parts of Iowa State, the OL played good enough to win in pretty much every other game. 

None of our good players left last year after the team sucked on the field. Our elite freshman (Worthy), best player (Bijan) and best young OL (Conner) never sniffed the portal. You are the only person I see on this board predicting what players are going to transfer after this upcoming season if different scenarios play out.

Edited by Hookem2147

16 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If we run out essentially the same starters on the o-line as last season, I think 7 wins is our ceiling but we likely go 6-6. 5-7 isn't out of the question. 

flood has coached these guys up. steady improvement over the course of last season plus another offseason of development and they will be playing like an alabama OL in 2022. christian jones will be a 1st rounder. 

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You should know to stop yourself anytime you begin a statement with those words.

Ha, alright man. I know you are probably one of the many of us that have battered fan syndrome from the last 12 years. I suffer from it too. It's okay to acknowledge that maybe the OL is going to look okay because for the first time in a long time an offensive line for Texas got better as a season wore on and is returning 3 multi-year starters to pair with the best OL recruiting class in the country and one of the best OL coaches in the country. It's also okay to acknowledge that in most of the games we lost last year, the OL was the reason to blame. 

If not, feel free to keep working on your theories of how many wins is necessary to keep Cam Williams in the program. Playing time doesn't even matter apparently according to what you are saying. It's all about wins that keep guys from entering the portal! Hopefully he pledges his allegiance to the program in the locker room minutes after we win our 8th game next year. I'll breathe a big sigh of relief.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You are the only person I see on this board already thinking ahead to what players are going to transfer after this upcoming season if different scenarios play out.

I think o-line are a unique case.

If they go to Bama or Georgia or Ohio State, they likely don't see the field much as freshmen - no NIL money.

They can come to Texas and get the guaranteed pancake NIL money as true freshman. If Texas is an abortion on the field (my big fear because of our likely starting o-line) they then roll out to a better performing program with a more likely shot at a starting job which means NIL money from being with that new new school. 

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You should know to stop yourself anytime you begin a statement with those words.

I am hoping Patterson and Ewers can make a difference. Texas won 5 games last year. 2 of those games Sark was deathly afraid to throw the ball (TCU and KSU). Kansas game is won with the defense just playing mildly terrible or QBs dont turn the ball over 4 times. Texas found ways to lose. Generally it was because of shitty QB play and/or shitty defensive play. I will trade 3 transfer OL for Mathis straight up, because I dont think it is even arguable that edge is a far greater need

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

I think o-line are a unique case.

If they go to Bama or Georgia or Ohio State, they likely don't see the field much as freshmen - no NIL money.

They can come to Texas and get the guaranteed pancake NIL money as true freshman. If Texas is an abortion on the field (my big fear because of our likely starting o-line) they then roll out to a better performing program with a more likely shot at a starting job which means NIL money from being with that new new school. 

You literally just acknowledged one of the biggest built in strengths of us retaining and attracting quality lineman and still somehow spun it as a negative?

If your biggest fear for this next year is the OL then we are in pretty good shape because I could name 5 other areas that concern me greatly and cost us way more games last year.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You literally just acknowledged one of the biggest built in strengths of us retaining and attracting quality lineman and still somehow spun it as a negative?

Maybe I didn't make it clear. You can not start and get NIL money as an o-lineman at Texas. Likely not the case for Bama, UGA and Ohio State (and programs at that level). After their freshman year, they can transfer to a better program, likely start and then get NIL money from being with those schools. That is my concern about our potential suckage on the field this year.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I know you are probably one of the many of us that have battered fan syndrome from the last 12 years

Being concerned about starting the same terrible o-line as last season is rational. Expecting them to play well is not rational. They can't be coached-up well enough for us to win. They don't have the innate talent. 

With just an average defense and healthy quarterbacks, 2021 team wins 10 games.

QB and defense were bigger problems as the season progressed.

The defense was surprisingly bad last year and was an epic failure. It was inept.

With Ewers and defense improvements, the ceiling is competing for conference championship. Sprinkle in a dominent freshman olineman and we could be for real.

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/nick-saban-is-known-for-playing-true-freshmen-at-alabama

If you recruit high enough talent; true freshman linemen can be immediate contributors.

Look, I'm as big a critic of our olines, since 2009 as anyone.  I'm definitely sceptical, until proven differently.  But let it play out before you go all satyanash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
We were going to take portal guys until we started making headway on guys like Banks, Williams and Neto, who seemed like pipe dreams in late November. We took the long term play. Whether you agree or disagree is up to you. The OL played good enough to win in at least 3 or 4 of the games we lost last year. The unit got better as the season went along. I know as Texas fans we just have it engrained in our mind to say every OL sucks and can't improve because it's the way it's been the last 10 years, but players and units are allowed to get better. That's allowed in college football. Majors, Angilau, Conner and whoever we start at the tackle spots is a good enough line to win 9 or 10 games in the Big 12. 

The obvious counter to the “OL improved over the course of the year!” narrative is the schedule. Kansas, West Virginia, and Kansas State to close the year is as weak of a three game stretch of defensive fronts as Texas played all year, and the offense wasn’t exactly lighting it up. As late as ISU the unit looked like warmed over dog shit. That same unit is losing its best player going into next season.

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The obvious counter to the “OL improved over the course of the year!” narrative is the schedule. Kansas, West Virginia, and Kansas State to close the year is as weak of a three game stretch of defensive fronts as Texas played all year, and the offense wasn’t exactly lighting it up. As late as ISU the unit looked like warmed over dog shit. That same unit is losing its best player going into next season.

Losing to ULM and UTSA is unthinkable (not impossible) and beating Bama is unthinkable (and impossible) so our season really starts 9/24 at Lubbock. I'd rather be naked and roll down a hill of broken glass than lose to Tech. Still, I am very worried about this game. I think you are going to see our o-line get manhandled by a bunch of 2 stars and JUCO transfers. Will that open the eyes of any of the irrational optimists on this board? I doubt it. There will still be time in the season to improve!

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. Much like the end of 2020, I think a lot of the supposed improvement is just due to scheduling. I do think the OL got slightly better, but it was still bad and now we’ve lost probably our best player form that line and have only brought in true freshman (almost all of whom aren’t EEs) to fix it. It blows my mind the staff didn’t go hard at some of the good transfer OL in the portal, like Mason Brooks the All conference USA OT who’s from Cedar Park or the IOL from Cal who started 3 years and just transferred to OU. 

OL is undoubtedly the weak point of what could be a top 10 offense. Flood and Sark have now failed to even try the portal for OL two years in a row. They better hope it turns out better than last year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

First team OL on Day 1 of Spring ball (left to right)- via 247

Karic-Angilau-Majors-Conner-Jones

Second team was Garth-Merril-Parr-Hutson-Walk on

Spring OL depth will make spring evals of both OL and DL difficult...    

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Much like the end of 2020, I think a lot of the supposed improvement is just due to scheduling. I do think the OL got slightly better, but it was still bad and now we’ve lost probably our best player form that line and have only brought in true freshman (almost all of whom aren’t EEs) to fix it. It blows my mind the staff didn’t go hard at some of the good transfer OL in the portal, like Mason Brooks the All conference USA OT who’s from Cedar Park or the IOL from Cal who started 3 years and just transferred to OU. 

OL is undoubtedly the weak point of what could be a top 10 offense. Flood and Sark have now failed to even try the portal for OL two years in a row. They better hope it turns out better than last year. 

Our only hope is that Flood is truly a great developer. Hearing Tope Imade say that if he had been at Texas for four years under Flood that he would be an NFL lineman gives me some optimism. It's not much and it may be complete bullshit, but given the typically longer learning curve for the oline and comparing Flood's teaching chops to what we saw from Warehime or Hand, I can at least talk myself into it. It's not unreasonable that they can be competent with good coaching and scheming but I still have PTSD watching that 215 pound kid from Kansas run right around Christian Jones like he was wearing cement boots.  The thought of any of our current roster or true freshman Banks trying to block Will Anderson or Dallas Turner off the edge is nauseating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's not unreasonable that they can be competent with good coaching and scheming but I still have PTSD watching that 215 pound kid from Kansas run right around Christian Jones like he was wearing cement boots.

trust the coaches. when christian jones leaves UT it will be as a 1st round pick. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

KSU was #4 in the Big 12 and WV was #6. KSU gave up 129.7 yards per game and 3.68 per. Only ISU rushed for more yards on KSU than Texas (210 v 209). The 4.75 per was also 2nd best number. All that with no threat of a passing game. 

Vs West Virginia Texas had the 3rd highest rushing total on the year (Minn and ISU), but they had the highest per attempt numbers at 7.25 (ISU 7.03, Baylor 5.34). Again that was with pretty QB play. Run blocking should have been enough to win the game. 

There is no way to say that the Texas OL did not finish well run blocking,  especially considering they were handicapped. To be fair the OL fared pretty well run blocking all year. OSU - 4.18 per and 133 yards (OSU average was 2.71 and 87.64)

Baylor - 102 and 3.52 (118 and 3.32_

Bijan ran for 90yards and 5 per vs ISU, before the game was out of hand. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Our only hope is that Flood is truly a great developer. Hearing Tope Imade say that if he had been at Texas for four years under Flood that he would be an NFL lineman gives me some optimism. It's not much and it may be complete bullshit, but given the typically longer learning curve for the oline and comparing Flood's teaching chops to what we saw from Warehime or Hand, I can at least talk myself into it. It's not unreasonable that they can be competent with good coaching and scheming but I still have PTSD watching that 215 pound kid from Kansas run right around Christian Jones like he was wearing cement boots.  The thought of any of our current roster or true freshman Banks trying to block Will Anderson or Dallas Turner off the edge is nauseating. 

I think Flood is a good OL coach, but 
The problem is 2 years in a row they’ve put themselves in a position where their only hope is a drastic rate of development.

There’s no reason for them to give themselves such a small margin for error. 

KSU was #4 in the Big 12 and WV was #6. KSU gave up 129.7 yards per game and 3.68 per. Only ISU rushed for more yards on KSU than Texas (210 v 209). The 4.75 per was also 2nd best number. All that with no threat of a passing game. 

Vs West Virginia Texas had the 3rd highest rushing total on the year (Minn and ISU), but they had the highest per attempt numbers at 7.25 (ISU 7.03, Baylor 5.34). Again that was with pretty QB play. Run blocking should have been enough to win the game. 

There is no way to say that the Texas OL did not finish well run blocking,  especially considering they were handicapped. To be fair the OL fared pretty well run blocking all year. OSU - 4.18 per and 133 yards (OSU average was 2.71 and 87.64)
Baylor - 102 and 3.52 (118 and 3.32_
Bijan ran for 90yards and 5 per vs ISU, before the game was out of hand. 

I like numbers so thanks for these. Add some context and there’s plenty of room for optimism. I know I am on record saying the Oline didn’t have drastic late season improvement. That’s not to say I don’t think there was progression as I believe there was. It’s just I believe Rice and Tech were damn good performances. OU was more good than bad, mixed with a bit of terrible. Part of that was due Okafor going out and moving Kerstetter inside, which was then corrected a game later. OSU and BU were good defenses, and we were at least semi productive in each. It was the passing game that hindered us big time in those games and not even in pass pro.

As we move into next year, it is possible that OLINE is our worst offensive position group. But that’s cause we have horses everywhere else.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I like numbers so thanks for these. Add some context and there’s plenty of room for optimism. I know I am on record saying the Oline didn’t have drastic late season improvement. That’s not to say I don’t think there was progression as I believe there was. It’s just I believe Rice and Tech were damn good performances. OU was more good than bad, mixed with a bit of terrible. Part of that was due Okafor going out and moving Kerstetter inside, which was then corrected a game later. OSU and BU were good defenses, and we were at least semi productive in each. It was the passing game that hindered us big time in those games and not even in pass pro.

As we move into next year, it is possible that OLINE is our worst offensive position group. But that’s cause we have horses everywhere else.

Vs Louisiana - 170 and 4.05. They gave up 148.86 on the year and 4.01.. Keep in mind Texas was the only P5 team they played and Card actually kept the offense moving in the 1st half as the run game faltered early. That was not impressive at all. Defense and Card, kept the game in control until the run game could eventually wear them out. 

Vs Ark- 138 yards and 3.37 per.. Ark gave up 153.8 per game and 4.02.. That game was just horrific from the OL. 

Being lazy, but comparing the first 2 games vs the last 2 games is not even close. I think it is fair to say the OL improved. By the way, improved and top 10 in the nation are different things. I am hoping that improved QB will help the pass pro. Texas was bad at the RPO game last year, multiple missed reads. I think Sark went to lot more PA vs RPO. He talked about that in that long presentation after winning the NC at Bama. One QB was better as RPO and one was better at PA, he skewed calling due to that. I fully believe that Texas was a run/PA team due to the inability of the QBs to get through progressions or read RPOs. Hoping to see quicker reads and the ball getting out faster. 

Edited by Codaxx

We've started Tristan Nickelson, Terrell Cuney, Taylor Doyle, Sedrick Flowers, Marcus Hutchins and a guy who's nickname was centered around the fact he didn't like the contact (Camrhon Hughes) on our O-line over the last 7 years. 

We are more than capable of getting adequate play out of a group of 3 guys who are entering their 3rd or 4th (Angilau) years as starters, Conner, Karic and the freshman that are coming into the mix in the summer. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

Vs Louisiana - 170 and 4.05. They gave up 148.86 on the year and 4.01.. Keep in mind Texas was the only P5 team they played and Card actually kept the offense moving in the 1st half as the run game faltered early. That was not impressive at all. Defense and Card, kept the game in control until the run game could eventually wear them out. 
Vs Ark- 138 yards and 3.37 per.. Ark gave up 153.8 per game and 4.02.. That game was just horrific from the OL. 
Being lazy, but comparing the first 2 games vs the last 2 games is not even close. I think it is fair to say the OL improved. By the way, improved and top 10 in the nation are different things. I am hoping that improved QB will help the pass pro. Texas was bad at the RPO game last year, multiple missed reads. I think Sark went to lot more PA vs RPO. He talked about that in that long presentation after winning the NC at Bama. One QB was better as RPO and one was better at PA, he skewed calling due to that. I fully believe that Texas was a run/PA team due to the inability of the QBs to get through progressions or read RPOs. Hoping to see quicker reads and the ball getting out faster. 

As seemingly their #1 supporter, I’d agree the first two games were not good. The lasting impression was the play in which we had 4 guys blocking each other vs Arkansas. Majors was covered, but let him go which allowed the defender to blow up the pulling guard. Chaos ensued. But given the new system, limited experience, loud environment, it wasn’t terribly surprising. Then to finish the season with Roschon going for around 200 with two banged up QBs, an injured Bijan and a less than 100% Roschon against a solid KSU defense is improvement.

And at this point, I’m really pulling for these guys to kick butt and get the last word.

My hopes and dreams:

1. Moving Jones to RT will improve pass pro (because he's too slow at LT).

2. Sark will be open to incorporating some Go Go and OZ into the game plan and we can still RPO off OZ... because this is what we're actually good at doing right now.

3. Defense does not suck. (This is actually #1)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

My hopes and dreams:

1. Moving Jones to RT will improve pass pro (because he's too slow at LT). Defense does not suck

2. Sark will be open to incorporating some Go Go and OZ into the game plan and we can still RPO off OZ... because this is what we're actually good at doing right now. Defense does not suck

3. Defense does not suck. (This is actually #1)

fixed it for you

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Too bad we can't say the same for the defense.  I feel better about the o-line next year than I do about outside linebacker(if we miss on the transfer from TCU), inside linebacker, and safety.  At least right now we've got some athletes at safety, Bush isn't on the two-deep for OLB, and Luke Brockermeyer may have played his last snap as a Longhorn.  With the OL we're at least not depending on addition by subtraction to improve the rotation, as everyone has had a significant role before outside of the RG.  Our QBs are still going to get sacked more than they should until we get the freshmen up to speed.  

Edited by bejezuz