Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

19 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:
Spoiler

This is why we suck, even to this day.

Mack's last 12 recruiting classes, not including TEs who stuck at the position. (See below)

So ever since 2005, we've been rushing guys in too soon, rarely able to redshirt anyone, ever. 

You can also that these guys, beside Hills, were not only not NFL material, but barely scout team on campus.

Why TF was he handing out only two and three 'ships to the OL during all these years of perpetual suckage? How was his knack for signing only the biggest busts and headcases almost unerring? You can see a pattern in it. Early on, he was "I am only going to sign white dudes from the Hill Country up to Southlake." That didn't work so he was like, "Aw shit, I need Black dudes from Houston and Dallas." That didn't work either so then it was all East Texas all the time.  

Meanwhile there were good-to-great linemen from all of those places but none of whom signed with Mack. It was like when they signed their LOC with us something sapped their superpowers. 

Look at those last four years -- that was the slop Charlie had to work with with Tyrone Swoopes at QB. (Espinosa could play but of course his career was over 1.5 games in to Charlie's stint).

What Charlie left Herman was marginally better, and maybe what Herman left Sark was a step up, minus a Connor Williams / Cosmi type. 

My point is not to compare the coaches except in the area of OL roster management and show how you just can't completely fail at it 12 years in a row without consequences that can last for at least four or five more years.

AT LEAST FOUR OF FIVE MORE YEARS. And we really haven't even started that process yet; not if we are talking NC or even one side of an SEC championship game. 

One thing you could do is tailor an offense to a shitty line. That is what Stoops did when he first got started on his miles-long feast of bags of dicks in Norman....Blake left him a pretty shitty line so Stoops was all about draws and quick-hit passes and the MF won an NC without, but MEANWHILE, he was also recruiting studs who measured well and were eager and adept learners of the fine art of holding.

Always with a solid two-deep, blue chips redshirting, better position coaching than what Mack was rolling out there....I mean, just look at this.

2003: Hills (TE), Ky. Thornton, Dallas Griffin

2004: C. Dockery, G. Dolan, Ulatoski, Ullman (TE)

2005: C. Hall, C. Tanner

2006: Webb, Burnette, Watts

2007: T. Allen, Huey, Hix, McGaskey

2008: Snow, Buchanan, Poehlman

2009: Walters, Ashcraft, P. Kelley, Porter

2010: Hopkins, Espinosa

2011: S. Flowers, Doyle, Hutchins, Cochran, Greenlea

2012: Estelle, Riser, D. Hawkins, Hughes

2013: D. James, Perkins, Raulerson, Hammad, D. Harrison

2014: Cuney, A. Anderson, E. Rodriguez

Looking back through that list I count I think one OOS recruit and I am pretty sure he was a Strong addition to the transition class. (A. Anderson, who never amounted to anything.) 

I can't recall Mack's lazy ass going out of state for ANY OL recruits during his entire tenure on the 40. Sendlein and Studdard came to him gift-wrapped, before legacy/ex-NFL parents stopped trusting our program.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Looking back through that list I count I think one OOS recruit and I am pretty sure he was a Strong addition to the transition class. (A. Anderson, who never amounted to anything.) 

I can't recall Mack's lazy ass going out of state for ANY OL recruits during his entire tenure on the 40. Sendlein and Studdard came to him gift-wrapped, before legacy/ex-NFL parents stopped trusting our program.

This.  My hope is that Sark and Flood go all-in (and bring the biggest bags) to the best OL in the country and tell any pussy ass Texas HS coach to get fucked if they don't like us going out of state for OL.  So many Texas OL are still spread-passing attack only trained.  Start pulling some mean mother fuckers from the rust belt.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s what I hope happens: I hope that once OU and Texas join the SEC, they start stealing the OL AND DL (also LBs) from out of state and only taking the few cream of the crop defenders and big uglies from Texas. Because you have to recruit a different type of player in that league, even when with a bit more open offenses, it’s still a league that revolves around the guys up front. Completely different than recruiting to beat Tech, the roaches, and Okie Lite.

And I hope with the three premier programs in the Texas region playing differently and recruiting differently, that the HS coaches in this state swing back to playing real football. Their kids and families will be watching a different brand, they’ll be recruiting a different brand, and hearing different messages at coaching camps. Remember, this shit started when Leach took the Big XII by storm. 

It fine and will never go away for some of these suburban schools that will be a bit disadvantaged with talent. But the Houston and DFW area powerhouses with speed and size need to start putting that speed and size to use in the proper positions and winning games by shoving people around and knocking dicks in the dirt, enough of this finesse shit. 

It will take a while but things can swing back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, futureman said:

without a generational leader like VY or Colt we are soft. soft culture. fun school, fun town, soft kids. 

I don’t think VY made us tough. His legs made us right. Finally we had a constraint on every play that defenses had to account for, and suddenly we could run the ball. Success breeding confidence. And then he’d take off on his own and convert 3rd and 30. 

Similarly, Colt was completing passes at nearly an 80% clip to two NFL WRs and an NFL 3rd down back. Defenses don’t have a lot of answers for that kind of accuracy to league quality players.

Note how our 2009 offense was shit against any team with a pulse. But our defense was a top 3 unit. Which will also cure a lot of ills. 

Texas hasn’t had any kind of sustained success on both sides of the ball since 2008. 2018 being the closest example. Largely because our talent on at least one side of the ball has been dog turds. It’s hard to leadership your way out of ineptness. And that’s before you add in any retardery between the headsets. 

So here’s the 2021 edition. We actually have bodies in the OL room as opposed to 2014, but it turns out most aren’t very good and or we can’t translate our pass blocking schemes into something they can understand and execute. TEs largely suck. We have one WR and a good RB group. QB is incomplete at the moment given our general lack of coherent blocking.

On defense we have a couple of plus players on the DL, no complete LB’s, no safeties and talented if then CB/NB group.  

We don’t have the dudes. We may not have the leadership, but I think Casey has enough. We just don’t have enough around him. I’m relatively confident that current Sark would run a train on the conference with the rosters we had from say 2000-09. PK could probably at least confer competence on those same defenses. And then you’d need that one guy in the locker room  that the team believed in, and didn’t dare cross or let down. 

in short we need dudes. And then we need the dude. Hopefully the former can be addressed with the portal. Because we don’t have time for 3+ years of developmental time line. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We don’t have the dudes. We may not have the leadership, but I think Casey has enough. We just don’t have enough around him.     In short we need dudes. And then we need the dude. Hopefully the former can be addressed with the portal. Because we don’t have time for 3+ years of developmental time line. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

It takes years to build out a cohesive OL. Highly unlikely that there's a bunch of talented OL in the portal or in JUCO that will magically come to Texas. At best we may get 1 or 2 serviceable dudes that are marginally better than the Hookfins and Karics we currently have.

No one is expecting to have the early-90s Cowboys line.  We just need to start with having five guys who have enough sense to at least hit the guy lined up across from them, instead of giving them a free run into the backfield.

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just don't get how the fuck we aren't selling the "you can play early if you come here" card. Seriously. I know it sounds dumb, but how the fuck are we whiffing on so many linemen? 

Because other than Mattox, these were your O-line recruiters for the last decade.

7849992.thumb.jpg.99ea1156b57865b6d06eec2b4ae0e8aa.jpg20190515-074152-3846593f55.thumb.jpg.fb39997d6fafb6bb974da3f481578e88.jpgjoe-wickline-texas.thumb.jpg.f7c1b9bcdbd32982e4a857df05cc8074.jpg

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

No one is expecting to have the early-90s Cowboys line.  We just need to start with having five guys who have enough sense to at least hit the guy lined up across from them, instead of giving them a free run into the backfield.

I think they could help the line and BR if they would run some 2 back and/or qb run game to keep the def some what honest. In the qb run game you can leave a guy unblocked and read him. One less guy to block for the line

8 minutes ago, Beer Horn said:

I think they could help the line and BR if they would run some 2 back and/or qb run game to keep the def some what honest. In the qb run game you can leave a guy unblocked and read him. One less guy to block for the line

Casey could have helped himself and the line by taking some of the short throws that were there for first downs on Saturday instead of holding onto the ball and staring downfield like a statue.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just don't get how the fuck we aren't selling the "you can play early if you come here" card. Seriously. I know it sounds dumb, but how the fuck are we whiffing on so many linemen? 

The usual pattern of only targeting elite prospects and not having a backup plan when they sign elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

When your head coach flat out tells you in the post game presser that the oline was getting the same looks in the 4th as they were earlier in the game but are too stupid to block it the same way I don't know what the hell he's supposed to do.

True, but at the end of the day if you aren’t moving the ball and can’t adjust your play calling to get more than 1 yard in the 4th. Then we have more than oline issues

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

It takes years to build out a cohesive OL. Highly unlikely that there's a bunch of talented OL in the portal or in JUCO that will magically come to Texas. At best we may get 1 or 2 serviceable dudes that are marginally better than the Hookfins and Karics we currently have.

They’re out there. Whether they come or not is another thing, but you can look at OL units all across the nation and find 1-2 year rentals from the portal who start immediately. 

It doesn’t take just a complete world beater to consistently out perform some of what we’ve been watching of late. 

I agree with you in premise. I’d love for talented 4th year juniors who’ve been working out and with each other the entire time to be littering our two deep with more like them  in the pipeline. They’re not there. We really, really don’t need to be mid OL gut and rebuild by the time we hit SEC play. 

So it’s BMFA (best mf’er available) time. Those guys will have to transfer in. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

The usual pattern of only targeting elite prospects and not having a backup plan when they sign elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It makes me question if we have anyone on staff who can actually evaluate instead of looking up 247 for dumb ass rankings. 

I've often found these takes interesting so I took a little time today to look at the dumb ass rankings on 247. Came up with the following charts for comparison of UT, OU, and Bama. 

100642804_OLrecruitingtakes.thumb.png.49d93af40b1fc0f138aad42d8d3efb8a.png

According to this, UT took more OL than Oklahoma in 2013 and more than Oklahoma + Alabama in 2011, 2016, and 2018. The years 2010, 2014, 2017, and 2021 are particularly damning. Those were years of high coaching turnover at Texas.

412179568_OLrecruitingrating.thumb.png.1492bfd62c00e1ee0b7236caecd7f031.png

It seems that while Texas and Alabama are a bit spiky when it comes to overall rating haul (simple sum of all OL stars), Oklahoma has been pretty well above 15 since 2014 with 2021 being the exception. 

694281133_OLavg.thumb.png.f9df3ca857bd1382f55725d7b174eae3.png

Despite the argument that Texas only goes after stars and doesn't develop, it's not like Alabama is going after 2 and 3 stars to develop into NFL players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s probably right about this - we bust lots of protections even when our tackles aren’t just getting straight up beat - but at a certain point you just have to simplify.  That goes for the defense, too.  Even if they should be grasping things better, you can either watch them bust the perfect call or give them a less perfect one they’re more likely to execute.

Remember the yearly Mack Brown era “we have to simplify” press conference after our first loss?  It usually worked.  Football players bust a ton of assignments, and many of the “evolved” modern offenses are so successful in part because they make things simpler, not more clever or complex.  

It isn’t just Texas players who make idiotic mistakes.  There was one play on Saturday where Okie State had 3 WRs bunched to the field side, we only had one defender on that side, and instead of throwing the bubble screen there Sanders threw an out for minimal gain to the other side.  The whole point of the play is to count how many defenders are on each side pre snap and throw to the one with the best numbers advantage, and we gave them the most obvious numbers advantage they will ever see.  It’s an absurdly simple calculation, and he still blew it.

You need to try to minimize the potential for human error in football rather than overly complicating things.  That’s a truism that applies to most things in life, but frankly, probably more so to college football.  These guys make a lot of mistakes, and we’re  generally give them more assignments  to digest, as well as more complex ones, than they’ve had before - particularly on offense.  It works better when they’re hitting on all cylinders, but expecting them to always hit on all cylinders is folly.  

Sark said in his presser that they tried to go back to a few of the plays that they did well to help the oline get some confidence back.  Clearly got shutout by Ok St as they still couldnt get anything going.

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s probably right about this - we bust lots of protections even when our tackles aren’t just getting straight up beat - but at a certain point you just have to simplify.  That goes for the defense, too.  Even if they should be grasping things better, you can either watch them bust the perfect call or give them a less perfect one they’re more likely to execute.

Remember the yearly Mack Brown era “we have to simplify” press conference after our first loss?  It usually worked.  Football players bust a ton of assignments, and many of the “evolved” modern offenses are so successful in part because they make things simpler, not more clever or complex.  

It isn’t just Texas players who make idiotic mistakes.  There was one play on Saturday where Okie State had 3 WRs bunched to the field side, we only had one defender on that side, and instead of throwing the bubble screen there Sanders threw an out for minimal gain to the other side.  The whole point of the play is to count how many defenders are on each side pre snap and throw to the one with the best numbers advantage, and we gave them the most obvious numbers advantage they will ever see.  It’s an absurdly simple calculation, and he still blew it.

You need to try to minimize the potential for human error in football rather than overly complicating things.  That’s a truism that applies to most things in life, but frankly, probably more so to college football.  These guys make a lot of mistakes, and we’re  generally give them more assignments  to digest, as well as more complex ones, than they’ve had before - particularly on offense.  It works better when they’re hitting on all cylinders, but expecting them to always hit on all cylinders is folly.  

I'll use a golf analogy. When you shank your drive. You start thinking on the next one and end up hooking it. It is the same with the OL and QB for that matter. They start getting beat, start thinking, and it quickly becomes a shit show. The one issue with simplifying is they are not very good and they dont have VY or Colt to turn a shitty play into the touchdown play. They cant just roll a defense like OSU running simple plays. Herman tried it and it did not work. For this OL to work, they need to make the defense think and be a step slow, because they cant just push people around. They do one thing at a reasonable level, much of that is because of Bijan's vision and cut back ability, that is OZ. Sark needs to take the week and write down as many possible plays as he can that look like OZ and counters to it and motions to disguise it. That would help, but the key for the last 5+ years for the offense is to stay in front of the chains. Given where the OL and the QB is at this stage, 3rd and long is basically a death sentence. So run it a lot early and use a lot of quick game and that is going to kill Sark, because you know he wants to take deep shots on 1st/2nd down. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man...  I tried to tell y'all 7 years ago... you have to have dudes... Jimmies and Joes...  THEN you get to do the Xs and Os.

We probably have the worst OL in the Big 12... again.

Just like last time, I'm not going to blame the coach for this... yet.

But when we fuck around lose to Kansas... (ok, yes, we're not losing to Kansas.)

On 10/16/2021 at 2:57 PM, SarkAfterDark said:

It's nothing short of amazing we can have a OL this bad. This shouldn't even possible. You shouldn't be able to recruit this bad at the University of Texas if you tried. We have zero good OL. None of them.

Jones, Kerstetter, and Imade were 3 stars, everyone else were low to mid 4 star guys. The biggest bust being Johnson, who I don't think was even suited up on Saturday. Just another issue with a coach coming in with the inability to adapt his schemes to the talent on hand. There is enough talent for it not to be a fucking sieve.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jones, Kerstetter, and Imade were 3 stars, everyone else were low to mid 4 star guys. The biggest bust being Johnson, who I don't think was even suited up on Saturday. Just another issue with a coach coming in with the inability to adapt his schemes to the talent on hand. There is enough talent for it not to be a fucking sieve.

There is no legitimate talent though. That’s the thing. 

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There is enough talent to not be this bad. I don't need great, but average would do with Sarkisian's play calling. We have the talent to be average.

Yoinking this from an It poster

Texas Starters
LT - Christian Jones
LG - Denzel Okafor
C - Jake Majors
RG - Junior Angilau
RT - Derek Kerstetter

Injury Adjustments:
LT - Christian Jones
LG - Junior Angilau
C - Jake Majors
RG - Tope Imade
RT - Derek Kerstetter

2016 Recruiting Class
Tope Imade - 789 Natinoal, 38 Position, 105 State 
Denzel Okafor - 277 National, 12 position, 43 state 
Patrick Hudson 50 National, 2 Position, 7 State - Medically retires
Jean Delance 117 National, 13 Position, 18 State - Transfers to Florida and becomes quality starter
JP Urquidez - 236 National, 22 Position, 36 State - Transferred to Texas State
Zach Shackelford - NA National, 52 position, 131 State

Out of 6 guys we only got 2 guys who started with one being a quality starter(Shackelford).

2017 Recruiting Class
Derek Kerstetter - 3 Star(.8603) 620 National, 30th Guard, 84th State
Sam Cosmi - NR National, 104 Position, 155 State

2 offensive line who both ended up being great contributors/players for us. But taking 2 offensive linemen in a small class is bad recruiting, granted this was a transition class.

2018 Recruiting Class
Junior Angilau - 125 National, 10 Position, 2 State
Reese Moore - 300 Naitonal, 20 Position, 37 State - Transfers to Abilene Christian
Rafiti Ghirmal - 303 National, 21 Position, 38 State
Mikey Grandy(JUCO) - 21 National, 4 Position - Medically Retires
Christian Jones - 724 National, 56 Position, State 101

1 quality starter in Junior, 1 poor starter in Jones, 1 JAG

2019 Recruiting Class
Tyler Johnson - 58 National, 8 Position, 9 State 
Isiah Hookfin - 250 national, 21 Position, 31 State
Javonne Shepherd - 338 National 28 Position, 41 State - Transfers to JUCO
Willie Tyler(JUCO) - 137 National, 24 Position - Transferred to Syracuse then Louisiana-Monroe
Parker Braun(Portal) 4 star

1 decent starter in Transfer Braun(1 year rental), 2 transfers out, potential for Johnson to transfer out, Hookfin has had injury issues. 

2020 Recruiting Class
Jake Majors - 195 National, 5 Position, 28 State
Jaylen Garth - 264 National, 20 position, 39 state
Logan Parr - 280 National, 11 position, 42 state
Andrej Karic - 364 National, 26 Position, 53 state

Still too early to tell with this class but 1 starter in center Majors, Parr/Karic seem like quality backups, Karic has starter potential, and tough to judge Garth.

2021 Recruiting Class
Hayden Conner - 393 National, 24 Position, 51 State
Max Merrill - NA, 95 Position, 164 State

Conner appears to be a potential starter in the future and Merill is a likely process candidate

So going through those recruiting classes and seeing the transfers and medically retired mixed in with the JAGS we may have enough talent to form 1 good offensive line from 5 classes if some did not go pro.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

I've often found these takes interesting so I took a little time today to look at the dumb ass rankings on 247. Came up with the following charts for comparison of UT, OU, and Bama. 

100642804_OLrecruitingtakes.thumb.png.49d93af40b1fc0f138aad42d8d3efb8a.png

According to this, UT took more OL than Oklahoma in 2013 and more than Oklahoma + Alabama in 2011, 2016, and 2018. The years 2010, 2014, 2017, and 2021 are particularly damning. Those were years of high coaching turnover at Texas.

412179568_OLrecruitingrating.thumb.png.1492bfd62c00e1ee0b7236caecd7f031.png

It seems that while Texas and Alabama are a bit spiky when it comes to overall rating haul (simple sum of all OL stars), Oklahoma has been pretty well above 15 since 2014 with 2021 being the exception. 

694281133_OLavg.thumb.png.f9df3ca857bd1382f55725d7b174eae3.png

Despite the argument that Texas only goes after stars and doesn't develop, it's not like Alabama is going after 2 and 3 stars to develop into NFL players. 

Good job on finding this data. It's crazy just how shitty players seem to get, regardless of position once they reach campus. You can argue a lot are soft, but God damn it's like they forget how to block, catch, not fumble, the whole works. 

I think Casey's reads are just as big of an issue as the OL at this point. I would also like to see more of the Rojo direct snap package. It should help us convert short yardage with an extra blocker, and maybe even give him an pass option out of it at some point. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yoinking this from an It poster

Texas Starters
LT - Christian Jones
LG - Denzel Okafor
C - Jake Majors
RG - Junior Angilau
RT - Derek Kerstetter

Injury Adjustments:
LT - Christian Jones
LG - Junior Angilau
C - Jake Majors
RG - Tope Imade
RT - Derek Kerstetter

2016 Recruiting Class
Tope Imade - 789 Natinoal, 38 Position, 105 State 
Denzel Okafor - 277 National, 12 position, 43 state 
Patrick Hudson 50 National, 2 Position, 7 State - Medically retires
Jean Delance 117 National, 13 Position, 18 State - Transfers to Florida and becomes quality starter
JP Urquidez - 236 National, 22 Position, 36 State - Transferred to Texas State
Zach Shackelford - NA National, 52 position, 131 State

Out of 6 guys we only got 2 guys who started with one being a quality starter(Shackelford).

2017 Recruiting Class
Derek Kerstetter - 3 Star(.8603) 620 National, 30th Guard, 84th State
Sam Cosmi - NR National, 104 Position, 155 State

2 offensive line who both ended up being great contributors/players for us. But taking 2 offensive linemen in a small class is bad recruiting, granted this was a transition class.

2018 Recruiting Class
Junior Angilau - 125 National, 10 Position, 2 State
Reese Moore - 300 Naitonal, 20 Position, 37 State - Transfers to Abilene Christian
Rafiti Ghirmal - 303 National, 21 Position, 38 State
Mikey Grandy(JUCO) - 21 National, 4 Position - Medically Retires
Christian Jones - 724 National, 56 Position, State 101

1 quality starter in Junior, 1 poor starter in Jones, 1 JAG

2019 Recruiting Class
Tyler Johnson - 58 National, 8 Position, 9 State 
Isiah Hookfin - 250 national, 21 Position, 31 State
Javonne Shepherd - 338 National 28 Position, 41 State - Transfers to JUCO
Willie Tyler(JUCO) - 137 National, 24 Position - Transferred to Syracuse then Louisiana-Monroe
Parker Braun(Portal) 4 star

1 decent starter in Transfer Braun(1 year rental), 2 transfers out, potential for Johnson to transfer out, Hookfin has had injury issues. 

2020 Recruiting Class
Jake Majors - 195 National, 5 Position, 28 State
Jaylen Garth - 264 National, 20 position, 39 state
Logan Parr - 280 National, 11 position, 42 state
Andrej Karic - 364 National, 26 Position, 53 state

Still too early to tell with this class but 1 starter in center Majors, Parr/Karic seem like quality backups, Karic has starter potential, and tough to judge Garth.

2021 Recruiting Class
Hayden Conner - 393 National, 24 Position, 51 State
Max Merrill - NA, 95 Position, 164 State

Conner appears to be a potential starter in the future and Merill is a likely process candidate

So going through those recruiting classes and seeing the transfers and medically retired mixed in with the JAGS we may have enough talent to form 1 good offensive line from 5 classes if some did not go pro.

and Sark had this shit leading the Big 12 in offense but he sucks as a play caller according to many assclowns around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

and Sark had this shit leading the Big 12 in offense but he sucks as a play caller according to many assclowns around here.

we've seen what Sark can do when he's got talent.  but what can he do when he doesnt?  either way he's going to have to recruit the team out of its current sorry state.

42 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Are you watching the game? The only adjustment to be made to save this OL was running OZ and stretch plays to the left. Once the defense starts sitting on those the OL can’t do shit . The recruit rankings don’t mean a thing, they were poor evaluations and/or never developed properly. Not sure how you can watch this shit show and think there is something we can adapt to when they can execute simple inside run schemes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Are you watching the game? The only adjustment to be made to save this OL was running OZ and stretch plays to the left. Once the defense starts sitting on those Once Karic goes in at LT the OL can’t do shit . The recruit rankings don’t mean a thing, they were poor evaluations and/or never developed properly. Not sure how you can watch this shit show and think there is something we can adapt to when they can execute simple inside run schemes.

fify

Tackle is the position to portal. We’ve seen a lot of bad Oline play beginning in 2007. When it’s been really bad, we’ve had tackles without the ability to compete in pass protection

We’re not Cam Hughes or Jake Raulerson bad, but you must have the ability to compete. The interior spots can be found and you can make do.

I dont advocate cheating, but if there’s one place to do this, it would be to encourage some serviceable tackles to portal to us. Nothing else matters.

9 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

So I admittedly don't know fuck about shit, but wouldn't swapping Jones and Kerstetter create a better situation instead of watching the current turnstile that we are seeing?

the fact that Kerstetter is our hope to fix every position should make us all want to watch the world burn

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:01 PM, hookem48 said:

Who says he sucks with original play sheet? I think everyone says he is great out of the gate. We only say he sucks once his plan A sheet is adjusted too. It is almost like he can't come up with plays to counter the adjustments. By his own account in press conferences he says he falls back on old reliables when things are going wrong. Unfortunately we have all seen old reliables are being stopped.

I’m just going to do a bit of hit and run on this thread, but someone reconcile a few things for me.

First, of our top 4 offensive performers per PFF, three were Olinemen. The other was Bijan. Our 4 lowest rated guys were skill position players and the 5th worst was a TE.

Second, we gave up 3 sacks and 4 QB hurries. Those 3 sacks were due to a backup guard and the RBs playing a part in the other two. Only threw 27 passes.

So the numbers aren’t horrific and indicate some positives from the front five at least from PFF. Are there some numbers somewhere that indicate this unit played like trash versus OSU? Do we consider PFF useless? If it’s an RB, that helps screw it up, are we still tagging the Oline?

If you give any weight to PFF, then OU was a clear screw up on the coaching staff. Kerstetter was an 87 versus OSU and 54 graded pass blocker versus OU. The move inside may have been a net negative at two positions. Then Angilau likely lost some continuity too. Historically, PFF loves Kerstetter at RT but not on the interior. No matter what PFF says that was an incredibly dumb move by the staff. It hurt us big time versus OU. And that dumbshittery had to have had some negative carryover to OSU.

Guess I still need to watch the presser.

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m just going to do a bit of hit and run on this thread, but someone reconcile a few things for me.

First, of our top 4 offensive performers per PFF, three were Olinemen. The other was Bijan. Our 4 lowest rated guys were skill position players and the 5th worst was a TE.

Second, we gave up 3 sacks and 4 QB hurries. Those 3 sacks were due to a backup guard and the RBs playing a part in the other two. Only threw 27 passes.

So the numbers aren’t horrific and indicate some positives from the front five at least from PFF. Are there some numbers somewhere that indicate this unit played like trash versus OSU? Do we consider PFF useless? If it’s an RB, that helps screw it up, are we still tagging the Oline?

If you give any weight to PFF, then OU was a clear screw up on the coaching staff. Kerstetter was an 87 versus OSU and 54 graded pass blocker versus OU. The move inside may have been a net negative at two positions. Then Angilau likely lost some continuity too. Historically, PFF loves Kerstetter at RT but not on the interior. No matter what PFF says that was an incredibly dumb move by the staff. It hurt us big time versus OU. And that dumbshittery had to have had some negative carryover to OSU.

Guess I still need to watch the presser.

First off, I'm not a big stats guy and I don't pay much attention to PFF.  Seems like they're good for adding information to a discussion, and that's it. 

Some of my comments on what you stated though, as much as we all love Bijan he is average to below average in pass protection.  Maybe a lot of it is communication with the QB on protection sets, but bottom line is the starting RB position isn't adding much on passing or play action.  He has to see the field though so let's work around all that somehow.  Another nitpick is he moves early on nearly every snap and it's starting to get egregious, but I digress.  Tight ends are also very spotty across the board... Nothing new there.  And the skill players like Moore had bad drops cuz he kinda sucks and Worthy well he got blasted on several screens probably because the OSU corners were way bigger, and older.  Idk haven't looked at PFF I'm just posting while sick and should be sleeping

As for your 2nd paragraph, OU is flat out superior to OSU on the DL... Doesn't that factor in to why guys are grading out worse vs a better opponent?  Or is that supposedly accounted for?  Truly not sure what or how PFF arrives at their numbers

Lastly, what did the QB get as rating?  

11 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Who says he sucks with original play sheet? I think everyone says he is great out of the gate. We only say he sucks once his plan A sheet is adjusted too. It is almost like he can't come up with plays to counter the adjustments. By his own account in press conferences he says he falls back on old reliables when things are going wrong. Unfortunately we have all seen old reliables are being stopped.

he falls back on plays our pathetic oline can supposedly block. We will forever be in this situation (over a decade now)until our pathetic oline is fixed no matter how much you guys think the old triple reverse halfback pass back to the qb will work.

Edited by hookem48