Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 10/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, Burt Macklin said:

He’s a fifth year guy who’s barely seen the field and he’s the coaches third choice to start at Guard, just barely above a true freshman, on a terrible OL. I’d say that’s a pretty hopeful assumption. 

first of all you’re unqualified to comment on the OL. and then when you do you’re almost always wrong. but keep it up, champ. 

43 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

OK you OL gurus. How much of this is on Floyd? Yeah he won the Broyles with a line of 5 star talent, but can he really coach, because I'm not seeing it

Not a guru by any means.  It seems to me though Herman/Hand fucking sucked at recruiting good ready made OL.  Not only that but their philosophy for what to develop the line into is very different, if not completely different, from Sark and Floods vision. So Flood has a bunch of fall back scrubs that aren't any good at doing what he's comfortable with.  No one in charge seemed to get how much the new regime would have to rebuild from the ground up

• Hook 'Em 1

Actually when it comes to blocking as a whole, we suck ass. And we have for a long time, especially at the WR position. Unfortunately for us, the TEs also suck at blocking and while we run lots of 2 TE sets, it doesn’t help us. And then we use a LB as a FB and he isn’t that great at blocking either. This team had a physicality problem when it comes to tackling and blocking. We don’t do it well.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Actually when it comes to blocking as a whole, we suck ass.  Unfortunately for us, the TEs also suck at blocking and while we run lots of 2 TE sets, it doesn’t help us. This team had a physicality problem when it comes to tackling and blocking. We don’t do it well.

giphy.gif 

Not sure why HORNS continue to be so Charmin soft, but both physically and  mentally it has to change...

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Our WR screens are actually worse when the TEs are split out to block for it than when we just have the WRs blocking.  The TEs whiff almost invariably.  

We need to recruit a couple of guys like Harsin did with Geoff Swaim.  I remember nobody had ever even heard of him in recruiting circles, but then you watched the tape and he was fucking mauling people.   Not “he has a high ceiling to one day be a plus blocker.”   No, it was, “Yeah, that guy fucking blocks his ass off.”    I mean, if the next Gronk wants to come here, then wonderful, but if we’re picking between TE recruits who aren’t freak 1st rounders make sure someone can at least block. 

Recruit a some interior defenders (MLB and DL) who actually deliver strikes and get off blocks instead of just having the athletic ceiling to do those things, too, while we’re at it.  

That’s probably the simplest explanation, to block and tackle really well, you have to want it. You have to desire making somebody your bitch. I just don’t see that enough. We don’t have a nasty kind of swagger. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of the more consistent trends I see from Herman era recruiting philosophy across all positions is getting guys that exhibit some aspect of their trade well but are glaringly lacking in something else.  Because they were clearly god level coaches that would "corch em up!" 

So we have TEs that look good but spent their time in high school playing QB or receiver, WRs that played RB or can't catch the ball consistently, Safeties that can't tackle, LBs that are safeties but don't know what gap to hit, or in some instances, plain unathletic; QBs that run well but are painfully inaccurate, or not good decision makers, OL that played soccer and somehow that's a positive, mass but no mobility, mobility but no mass, zero fucking balance or desire to blow someone up and on and on... Strong deserves little praise but he stumbled onto some guys that were good at their role on the field.  None of the senior leaders on the field right now are commanding presences 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

One of the more consistent trends I see from Herman era recruiting philosophy across all positions is getting guys that exhibit some aspect of their trade well but are glaringly lacking in something else.  Because they were clearly god level coaches that would "corch em up!" 

So we have TEs that look good but spent their time in high school playing QB or receiver, WRs that played RB or can't catch the ball consistently, Safeties that can't tackle, LBs that are safeties but don't know what gap to hit, or in some instances, plain unathletic; QBs that run well but are painfully inaccurate, or not good decision makers, OL that played soccer and somehow that's a positive, mass but no mobility, mobility but no mass, zero fucking balance or desire to blow someone up and on and on... Strong deserves little praise but he stumbled onto some guys that were good at their role on the field.  None of the senior leaders on the field right now are commanding presences 

The word "project" has seemed to crop up with some regularity, especially along the lines.

We probably can't afford anymore projects.

38 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Our WR screens are actually worse when the TEs are split out to block for it than when we just have the WRs blocking.  The TEs whiff almost invariably.  

We need to recruit a couple of guys like Harsin did with Geoff Swaim.  I remember nobody had ever even heard of him in recruiting circles, but then you watched the tape and he was fucking mauling people.   Not “he has a high ceiling to one day be a plus blocker.”   No, it was, “Yeah, that guy fucking blocks his ass off.”    I mean, if the next Gronk wants to come here, then wonderful, but if we’re picking between TE recruits who aren’t freak 1st rounders make sure someone can at least block. 

Recruit a some interior defenders (MLB and DL) who actually deliver strikes and get off blocks instead of just having the athletic ceiling to do those things, too, while we’re at it.  

Remind me who was EBS?  "Extra Blocking Surface."  Was that Swaim?

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah there is no reason not to go young after the bye. 

lineup should be 

LT Karic

LG Angilau

C Majors

RG Conner

RT Kerstetter

anything else is failure. 

No way does flood bench Jones.  Plus Jones is young too as bad as it sounds Jones is better than karic now. This team needs to become bowl eligible 

Our line is just trash. One has to feel sorry for Casey. Someone comes free almost every play. How many hits did he take today? We can't hang our hat on anything. In the OU game we ran outside with some success until they started settling in and then it was little to no gain. Today was much the same. We popped a couple at the beginning of the 2nd half but then they shut that shit down and sped Casey up and it was ball game. Clearly Thompson was rattled. That's the key to beating us. See how we are running it. Squeeze down on it. Bring pressure. The rest will take care of itself. We can't adjust because we can't block well enough to do so.

• Rage+1 1

While officially signed by Mack Brown, John Mackovic first recruited the last offensive lineman drafted in the first round (Mike Williams 19 years ago).

Before Connor Williams was drafted by the Cowboys in 2018, we had a 10 year drought of any offensive lineman drafted at all.

Since 2006, we have been plagued with bad offensive line play and bad team blocking at all positions and special teams. This spills over into all aspects of our team, from getting off blocks, to bad tackling, to injured players.

I can’t fully explain it. It crosses generations.

Sidenote: Xavier Worthy has no chance of blocking Oklahoma State’s corners. Calling a play that depends on stalemating Okie Lite’s grown ass men corners is folly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nope said:

How did Imade play today, and for how long?

By the time I noticed the offense dragging he had already been replaced by Conner

Imade had a hold called on him when he pulled on a PA pass. He reached out and grabbed the front of a player’s jersey somewhat redirecting him and let go. 

Yeah, it was a hold, but far more egregious examples are ignored on nearly a down by down basis. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

While officially signed by Mack Brown, John Mackovic first recruited the last offensive lineman drafted in the first round (Mike Williams 19 years ago).

Before Connor Williams was drafted by the Cowboys in 2018, we had a 10 year drought of any offensive lineman drafted at all.

Since 2006, we have been plagued with bad offensive line play and bad team blocking at all positions and special teams. This spills over into all aspects of our team, from getting off blocks, to bad tackling, to injured players.

Sidenote: Xavier Worthy has no chance of blocking Oklahoma State’s corners. Calling a play that depends on stalemating Okie Lite’s grown ass men corners is folly.

Mostly agree but 2007 is when we really started going downhill. We still had most of the Championship line in 2006.

24 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

It really is amazing that over that 10 year period we couldn’t have one OL drafted in say the 4-7 rounds at least.  You know, maybe they are a jag at best in the NFL but at least they are on a roster.  I don’t see any OL talent in the current OL and that is why we can’t run or pass which seems kind of important when trying to run any kind of offense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This is why we suck, even to this day.

Mack's last 12 recruiting classes, not including TEs who stuck at the position. (See below)

So ever since 2005, we've been rushing guys in too soon, rarely able to redshirt anyone, ever. 

You can also that these guys, beside Hills, were not only not NFL material, but barely scout team on campus.

Why TF was he handing out only two and three 'ships to the OL during all these years of perpetual suckage? How was his knack for signing only the biggest busts and headcases almost unerring? You can see a pattern in it. Early on, he was "I am only going to sign white dudes from the Hill Country up to Southlake." That didn't work so he was like, "Aw shit, I need Black dudes from Houston and Dallas." That didn't work either so then it was all East Texas all the time.  

Meanwhile there were good-to-great linemen from all of those places but none of whom signed with Mack. It was like when they signed their LOC with us something sapped their superpowers. 

Look at those last four years -- that was the slop Charlie had to work with with Tyrone Swoopes at QB. (Espinosa could play but of course his career was over 1.5 games in to Charlie's stint).

What Charlie left Herman was marginally better, and maybe what Herman left Sark was a step up, minus a Connor Williams / Cosmi type. 

My point is not to compare the coaches except in the area of OL roster management and show how you just can't completely fail at it 12 years in a row without consequences that can last for at least four or five more years.

AT LEAST FOUR OF FIVE MORE YEARS. And we really haven't even started that process yet; not if we are talking NC or even one side of an SEC championship game. 

One thing you could do is tailor an offense to a shitty line. That is what Stoops did when he first got started on his miles-long feast of bags of dicks in Norman....Blake left him a pretty shitty line so Stoops was all about draws and quick-hit passes and the MF won an NC without, but MEANWHILE, he was also recruiting studs who measured well and were eager and adept learners of the fine art of holding.

Always with a solid two-deep, blue chips redshirting, better position coaching than what Mack was rolling out there....I mean, just look at this.

2003: Hills (TE), Ky. Thornton, Dallas Griffin

2004: C. Dockery, G. Dolan, Ulatoski, Ullman (TE)

2005: C. Hall, C. Tanner

2006: Webb, Burnette, Watts

2007: T. Allen, Huey, Hix, McGaskey

2008: Snow, Buchanan, Poehlman

2009: Walters, Ashcraft, P. Kelley, Porter

2010: Hopkins, Espinosa

2011: S. Flowers, Doyle, Hutchins, Cochran, Greenlea

2012: Estelle, Riser, D. Hawkins, Hughes

2013: D. James, Perkins, Raulerson, Hammad, D. Harrison

2014: Cuney, A. Anderson, E. Rodriguez

Edited by MaybeACoordinator