Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

46 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

All I hope is that today taught Sark that offensive line has to become a major priority in recruiting now and going forward. The talent pool is shit right now and they need a quick fix. If they have to hit the portal this winter then fucking do it.

If Sark and flood don’t bring in at least 3 transfers or junco then I don’t know wtf to think.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FOXHOUND said:

This is the worst OL I've ever seen. After getting it together following the Arkansas game they turned into ass once again. 

Perhaps it's time to recruit some out of state kids, and definitely utilize the portal. 

Grad transfers, immediate help is needed

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

who was there though? Didn't we try to get the Tennessee guy that went to OU?

I want to say Stanford had a guy, but I may be misremembering. And yeah, Vol guy, too. But to be honest, I don't really ever look at the portal, so I really don't know. I would think/hope there would be someone better than what we're trotting out

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

who was there though? Didn't we try to get the Tennessee guy that went to OU?

There were two Tennessee guys. Wanya Morris went to blOU and is rotating with Anton Harrison at left tackle for them. Jahmir Johnson went to A&M and has started all five games for them at left tackle.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd be willing to bet that Sarkisian disbelieved how bad some of our talent is.  He probably saw it, thought, "damn," and then saw our bad OL scrimmage or bad DL and decided "maybe it's not as bad as I thought."

I agree with that. I bet he underrated how ineffective they are because it’s probably not in any coaches realm of possibility that they could be this bad. I wonder what he says about it in his private conversations.

Jesus shit dicks it’s bad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I want to say Stanford had a guy, but I may be misremembering. And yeah, Vol guy, too. But to be honest, I don't really ever look at the portal, so I really don't know. I would think/hope there would be someone better than what we're trotting out

We’d probably do better if we stared the Allen JV starting line.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't know how to judge the coaching of the OL in the first year. It mainly looks like we had disastrous evaluation prior to offering. With even a nearly mediocre line we might have won this game.

Honest question not seeking easy answer: Is there a single guy on our OL who is even good?

When ou started stunting their defensive front it exposed the inability of our guys to pick up their blocking assignments. 

I don't know how to judge the coaching of the OL in the first year. It mainly looks like we had disastrous evaluation prior to offering. With even a nearly mediocre line we might have won this game.
Honest question not seeking easy answer: Is there a single guy on our OL who is even good?

Kerstetter was an elite pass blocking RT two years ago. Do that count?
  • Haha 1

When ou started stunting their defensive front it exposed the inability of our guys to pick up their blocking assignments. 

Yes. They’ve done that all season. I think other teams could do it too because I’m pretty sure it’s legal in American tackle football. Might be something we should prepare for. I’m even gonna go out on a limb and say I bet our coaches did at least mention it during practice. Also pretty sure it’s not a revolutionary concept invented this season by the ou coaches. Maybe our oline players have even seen it before somewhere.

Sorry, not trying to be a smart ass but goddamn pathetic is the word that just keeps coming to mind. Id love if pathetic wasn’t a word that fit any parts of our football team. Couldn’t maybe at least mediocre be the minimum standard?
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just don't get why he didn't use the portal to plug some holes. Dude had to see our line and know they were young and/or pussified

They hadn't worked with them yet. Hard for them to know who's good and not good until you actually coach them and see them in your scheme. Now they know so no excuses this offseason

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

imade can run block. just play him and lean on the running game. casey can hit a few RPOs and play action bombs every now and then. 

I'd have to think he, Connor, Karic, or even Tyler Johnson could at least be serviceable enough at LG to allow DK to play RT where he can actually pass block. 

Sometimes I wonder why teams don't change linemen based on situation. Like on 3rd and long, flip DK to RT and Karic to LG. On goal line, bring in Tope at LG. Sure it tips your hand a bit but people know what's coming anyway and you can always counter your tendency

24 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm not even going to question Flood at this point. Karic was definitely not an upgrade in the line, and since Flood knew this, he probably knows that putting Imade or Conner at LG (and Kerstetter at RT) is not an upgrade over Karic at RT. They aren't ready. The talent isn't there. 

Correct. The reality is that Tom Herman and Herb Hand left a smoldering wreckage of talent along the offensive line, coupled with complete lack of development. They recruited exactly one elite-level talent (Tyler Johnson, who appears more than likely to be a bust at this point) and one close to elite-level talent (Junior Angilau, who I think has turned into a pretty good lineman). The rest are JAGs or projects.

This isn’t comparable to to the defense, where we have real talent at every level and are simply underperforming.  Absent a massive infusion of talent from the portal or Flood turning into a miracle worker, this isn’t getting markedly better in the near term. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm not even going to question Flood at this point. Karic was definitely not an upgrade in the line, and since Flood knew this, he probably knows that putting Imade or Conner at LG (and Kerstetter at RT) is not an upgrade over Karic at RT. They aren't ready. The talent isn't there. 

I mean further to this point, we are all fucking angry about the OL. I have to imagine Flood is having suicidal thoughts on trying to figure out what he can do with such shit at every position. Especially after leaving the riches of Bama. It’s going to take time and they need better players. 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I mean further to this point, we are all fucking angry about the OL. I have to imagine Flood is having suicidal thoughts on trying to figure out what he can do with such shit at every position. Especially after leaving the riches of Bama. It’s going to take time and they need better players. 

And yet after spring ball they took 0.0 transfers on the OL.  I think they might have tried for one.  

• Rage+1 1

Do any of the coaches or players typically stay in Dallas the night after the game?  I'm 99% sure coach flood was in the elevator with me at the Marriott at 9 at night.  I saw some awesome UT sneakers and I looked up and it was him.  I just said Hook'em coach when I got off the elevator.     

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

And yet after spring ball they took 0.0 transfers on the OL.  I think they might have tried for one.  

And that’s a fair rebuttal. Idk how many transfers they could have taken overall, but I guess they felt defense was in more desperate need. 

i really just hope it finally becomes clear and evident that regardless of the level of play, elite line play is what matters most. It’s not flashy, or fancy….but it’s everything

1 minute ago, Tex48 said:

Do any of the coaches or players typically stay in Dallas the night after the game?  I'm 99% sure coach flood was in the elevator with me at the Marriott at 9 at night.  I saw some awesome UT sneakers and I looked up and it was him.  I just said Hook'em coach when I got off the elevator.     

Did he say anything? 

There were a few plays in the 2nd half that could have worked and might have gone for big yardage if Karic could have at least gotten a hand on his guy. Maybe he is better inside? But he can't be out there at tackle again. 

Looked to me like we had more than one dump pass to Bijan set up that had lots of room but couldn’t even keep a guy off of 11 long enough to complete a fucking dump pass.

Just pathetic.
  • Rage+1 1

SIAP and I don't know why I do this to myself, but here are PFF's blocking grades from yesterday, run blocking on the left and pass blocking on the right. Karic's pass blocking grade is bad enough, but Christian Jones just isn't a power five conference player. They have to try something else.

• Rage+1 1

SIAP and I don't know why I do this to myself, but here are PFF's blocking grades from yesterday, run blocking on the left and pass blocking on the right. Karic's pass blocking grade is bad enough, but Christian Jones just isn't a power five conference player. They have to try something else.
FBXglWMXsAI_XVG?format=png&name=900x900

Jfc

I'm a glutton for punishment so I did more digging. 493th offensive linemen in FBS have played 300 blocking snaps (50 per game or 60 per game depending on how many games your team has played so that's basically players who are starters). Christian Jones ranks 350th in run blocking and 443rd in pass blocking. You cannot keep playing him. You have got to give Jaylen Garth a shot. OK State is good defensively, but home game/bye week is as reasonable a stretch as you're going to get at this point of the season and you have back-to-back road games on the back end of the bye week.

• Like 1