Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

39 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I have been think a lot about this and there is only one reasonable explanation for a decade plus of shit Oline play.  The answer is somewhere in this report but I need one of you chemistry nerds to find which contaminate results in a combination of brain fog, delayed reflexes and genialized pussyness

water.jpg

I have a guy in mind for this job.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

One thing we don’t talk about or perceive to be an issue is how difficult it is to recruit really solid, no miss O linemen.  It is much easier, coming from a more robust pool, to recruit quality running backs or Qbs than truly sure fire big butts.  Looking where we are today, it is evident we have done a horrific job and probably been a tad unlucky with recruiting.

Look back the last 2-3 years at the recruits we all thought we had to bring in, that we missed out on, who have been busts or are not seeing much playing time now.

Bottom line?  Line coaches have to work their butts off.  Too many of them are lazy or have weird personalities that hinder talking to and gaining relationships with recruits. You see examples of freshmen who come in and start playing right away.  They are athletic freaks and are very very rare.  As already discussed here, none of those guys are available in the portal. Most O linemen have to be developed and this is still where coaches earn their money.  Some can, some can’t.  We will see what we have at Texas in 2-3 years and that timeline  will be almost impossible to speed up.

More than any other group, OL play improves when the unit gets some reps together. Transfer portal is going to be a limited option for success aside from getting maybe one spot upgraded at a position of true weakness. You’ll be surprised how much better a young group can get just by playing together. 

This is correct. Dcarr00 is correct on Okafor too because it goes hand in hand with this.

There are a lot of continuity issues here - system changes, position changes, youth, injury issues. They aren’t the most talented bunch, but they’re capable. And there are instances in which they kick ass.

This unit never played together at these positions until last week. I’m not sure Kerstetter has ever played left guard. From a fan perspective, he is a Right Tackle. An 80 PFF pass grade is pretty stellar. That was often him at RT. That frees you up to help elsewhere. So not only are we restarting our communication on the left side Angilau now has a new RT.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kerstetter back to RT, Jones and Karic competing at LT, Angilou to LG, Imade and Conner competing at RG. Per a poster at IT who also posts here but not good shit like this. 

Conner is the future there, and Karic at LT would be an upgrade, even if it is just on the run side. Jones needs to be benched, Tope is just not very good. I would be concerned with Majors and Conner lining up next to each other, but with Kerstetter over there that could work. 

Edited by Vertigo

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kerstetter back to RT, Jones and Karic competing at LT, Angilou to LG, Imade and Conner competing at RG. Per a poster at IT who also posts here but not good shit like this. 

So is this supposedly happening this week at practice ???  

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Conner is the future there, and Karic at LT would be an upgrade, even if it is just on the run side. Jones needs to be benched, Tope is just not very good. 

Kinda funny, on HornFM this morning Erin and Buckie were going on and on about how Jones played ok on Saturday -- couldn't believe what I was hearing...

1 hour ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I should probably spoiler this in case there are people with underlying conditions, but this is the O-Line coaching history since 2015: 

image.png.04045e07334601e621921e59549156cf.png

I am very hopeful that Flood is the one to stop the O-Line Coaching Regard train. 

Matrix was pretty good. Doing a damn good job down there in San Antonio. 

• Like 1

Jeff Howe:

"Shakeup on the O-line Depth Chart"

Derek Kerstetter is bumping back to right tackle based on the depth chart Texas just released.

Junior Angilau is moving to left guard with Tope Imade listed as the No. 1 right guard.

Andrej Karic is the backup right tackle.

For those wondering, Isaiah Hookfin and Tyler Johnson are off of the two-deep.

Texas coaches reshuffle the offensive line going into Oklahoma State week

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian is shaking up the offensive line after protection breakdowns fueled Oklahoma’s come-from-behind win in the Cotton Bowl.

Versatile senior Derek Kerstetter is going back to right tackle after one game at left guard. Junior Angilau, a junior with 28 career starts, is moving to left guard from right guard. Tope Imade, a senior reserve, will be inserted at right guard.

Jake Majors will stay at center, and Christian Jones will remain at left tackle, according to UT’s updated depth chart.

“We had some uncharacteristic snap infractions, false start, a hold that we're a little uncharacteristic for us,” Sarkisian said during Monday’s press conference. The coach added that some calls may not have gone the Horns’ way, but “the pre snap penalty things are definitely in our control.”

“Whether it was the environment or the game, whatever it is, it’s unacceptable, and we definitely have to clean it up,” Sarkisian said.

The Horns started red-hot and jumped out to a 28-7 lead in the first quarter against the Sooners. But that lead slowly melted away, and the offense couldn’t respond in the second half. It was the first time in UT history the Horns had a 21-point lead and lost the game. 

Texas still leads the Big 12 in rushing yards, averaging 245.2 yards per game. UT is fifth in passing with 234.8 yards per game. But the Horns are second-to-last in sacks allowed, having given up 12 sacks through the season’s first six games. West Virginia has allowed the most with 16.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, DFW Horn said:

1. It's foolish to think the transfer portal will be a cure-all for the OL

2. Y'all act like our younger OL can't improve and be coached up for future success. I expect Jones, Karic, Connor, Hookfin, etc. to all get better in the offseason and spring.

But, yeah, we can sure use more depth and need to recruit more OL. Most HS prospects are developmental projects who can use a redshirt. I'm confident we're gonna get better.

We lack talent, if we land some of the names being mentioned in the portal we are instantly upgraded with guys that have multiple years of elgibility.

Jones has had 6 games to improve he still looks like shit just as he did week 1. 

Interesting write-up by poster on 247 (MacDaddy3)

All right I am going to give my OL Analysis after the OU game, just as I did after the TCU game. You can love it or leave it but the following is my evaluation from my trained eyes of many hours of film breakdown.

1. How a group can look so good and then an hour or two later look so bad is almost impossible to figure out. Fatigue, confidence and momentum are such a huge aspect of OL play that can easily be overlooked(and this was proven on Saturday vs the Sooners).

2. I stated last week that I thought the OL as a whole would be better if we were to leave Kerstetter at RT and put Conner at LG. I had not seen much of Conner(and still haven't) so he may not be the answer there but Kerstetter needs to be left at RT. He just is not near as effective on the interior. Derek has a good 1st step kick slide(probably the best on the team) that is not only effective but is necessary if you play OT. Inside Derek struggles when he is not in space. He is not a mauler and moving a DL off his spot, whether we are running a zone or power scheme is not a strength of his. Quick hands and quick feet are major necessities when you play outside on the OL and he excels at this. I am excited to see how Tope does at LG this week but regardless of the outcome with Tope I feel if we are to maximize our OL as a group we need to keep Kerstetter at RT.

3. Karic is not ready, now this may change but right now it is very obvious that he was overwhelmed against the Sooners. He struggled with almost every aspect of OL play. Several times he was just flat out beat off the LOS by an edge rusher. Other tines Andrej was lost on where to go both pre and post snap. Still other times he should have picked up stunting DL and LB's as Jr. passed them off to him but his eyes were somewhere else and he was blown by. I don't want to seem to down on him because with more experience he may become the kind of OL that we need, but he is not there yet and he is at best our 3rd best OT on the roster currently.

4. Mr. Jones was not as bad as I thought he would be. Now I would not call this a ringing endorsement but I believed he would be totally outclassed Saturday and overall he was just very average. Don't get me wrong he had some plays where the couch fan stood up and yelled "what are you doing" as they gave the double bird to the TV but he actually improved his run blocking from the week before. Jones still struggled lots with edge rushers and had his share of blown assignments but he is our 2nd best OT right now and all we can do is hope for incremental weekly improvement as the season moves along. He has tremendous physical upside and I believe this is the reason the coaching staff will stick with him believing he will turn in to a very good player with more experience.

5. Jake Majors play was disappointing to me. I know we really don't have another option at Center but his play was a liability Saturday. Two false starts from half way snapping the ball (one on a very important short yardage play) hurt us tremendously on offense. His effort is not an issue but he is often times swallowed up by either quickness or strength of the DL he is blocking. Again I will say he is the best we have at that position right now so hope springs with every positive rep he creates.

6. Right now Jr. Angilau is our best OL. I don't think he is our most talented OL, but he is by far our most consistent. He wasn't great(reference the holding call on the pass play) but he was adequate on Saturday. They are moving him to LG this week I believe to protect Jones as far as assignment knowledge and to help with passing off rushers to Jones more smoothly. Junior should be fine at LG as it will be familiar to him.

7. Tope Imade your time is now - Let's see what we have here. He is a giant man and when he gets his hands on a DL(especially if he is squared up) he will dominate him. He does have some limitations athletically and I expect it to show up when pas blocking or pulling. He was good against Rice and mistakes were made only when some fatigue may have set in as he is a big man. I'm and really excited to see how he plays.

OL in conclusion:

We just are not going to be a dominating unit this year. We need to keep improving. I think we have improved. I think our effort has been good and when you have good effort and good attitude, improvement manifests itself naturally.

OL in conclusion:
We just are not going to be a dominating unit this year. We need to keep improving. I think we have improved. I think our effort has been good and when you have good effort and good attitude, improvement manifests itself naturally.

I’d say this pretty accurate and reasonable.

This line is pretty solid at times and pretty crappy at times. They are what they are. And there have been multiple occasions in which they’ve flat out kicked ass. The coaches were right to stay consistent with the lineup thru TCU in spite of the fan dumbassery clamoring for wholesale changes. They were wrong to move Kerstetter off right Tackle. He is a finesse guy and excellent pass blocking RT. Okafor get hurting forced some things, but we overcorrected in adjustments. And the timing was not the best. No idea why you’d move 3 guys when 1 maybe 2 would be sufficient.

Against OU, there were only one or two maybe 3 drives in which they messed their drawers. Then they came back and did a good job on the final two possessions. Sometimes the defense gets it right so there was some of that too.

Play calling in the first half was incredible. It made blocking easier. Never underestimate how confusing the defense makes these guys jobs easier. And the flip side is true too.

The staff didn’t help in some cases. The intermediate passing game is almost non-existent or at least inconsistent. Whittington could be badass here. Well could have been. Our TEs and RBs are almost non-existent in pass blocking. We don’t need both releasing without at least helping first knowing the struggle at pass blocking the edges. My guess is OU spent considerable time on the Bijan release. They were on his butt when we tried him in the passing game. No team has covered our WRs. Let them work.

OU loaded up for run. We obliged them on two sequences. First drive of the 2nd half. Two runs including an outside run around the 5. Negative yards. Dumb. Worthy had a single dude over there with a 7-8 yard cushion on both those plays. At least until we brought our TE over. First drive after OU takes the lead. We throw to get down there then two runs for nothing. Then a low percentage throw and a poor call/decision.

Railing on our personnel is a waste of time and largely unjustified given the circumstances. But in defense of the coaches, they are trying to determine what they’ve got and where. And again there’s been some damn good stuff. If we can stay healthy, there’s more of the good to come.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I never really understood why Flood moved Kerstetter inside when when we know he’s not good there. All his strengths are neutralized inside. It’s disappointing that Flood keeps seeming to not understand his personnel. 

I also don’t get why Kerstetter hasn’t been playing LT all year. He’s our best pass blocking OT. He should have the backside, especially with all the PA we run that isolates our LT in space. 

I think our clear best OL before Okafor was hurt would’ve been Kerstetter-Okafor-Majors-Angilau-Karic/Jones. If Conner can hold up at G, then swap Okafor for Conner. I don’t think LG or RG for him matters too much, but you could leave Angilau at RG if Kerstetter is the LT. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The staff didn’t help in some cases. The intermediate passing game is almost non-existent or at least inconsistent. Whittington could be badass here. Well could have been. Our TEs and RBs are almost non-existent in pass blocking. We don’t need both releasing without at least helping first knowing the struggle at pass blocking the edges. My guess is OU spent considerable time on the Bijan release. They were on his butt when we tried him in the passing game. No team has covered our WRs. Let them work.

OU loaded up for run. We obliged them on two sequences. First drive of the 2nd half. Two runs including an outside run around the 5. Negative yards. Dumb. Worthy had a single dude over there with a 7-8 yard cushion on both those plays. At least until we brought our TE over. First drive after OU takes the lead. We throw to get down there then two runs for nothing. Then a low percentage throw and a poor call/decision.

Railing on our personnel is a waste of time and largely unjustified given the circumstances. But in defense of the coaches, they are trying to determine what they’ve got and where. And again there’s been some damn good stuff. If we can stay healthy, there’s more of the good to come.

So agree about the lack of intermediate passing production.  Give me more completions, more sustained drives, and more first downs that keep the TEXAS defense on the sidelines longer.  

For TEXAS, too many quick-strike scores without some additional longer time consuming offensive drives, make for a worthless HORNS defense in the 4th qtr.

So agree about the lack of intermediate passing production.  Give me more completions, more sustained drives, and more first downs that keep the TEXAS defense on the sidelines longer.  
For TEXAS, too many quick-strike scores without some additional longer time consuming offensive drives, make for a worthless HORNS defense in the 4th qtr.

Yep. It’s hard to turn down points, but it can make a difference. Even if we get two-three first downs rather than 3 and outs, it could have been the difference.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I never really understood why Flood moved Kerstetter inside when when we know he’s not good there. All his strengths are neutralized inside. It’s disappointing that Flood keeps seeming to not understand his personnel. 

I also don’t get why Kerstetter hasn’t been playing LT all year. He’s our best pass blocking OT. He should have the backside, especially with all the PA we run that isolates our LT in space. 

I think our clear best OL before Okafor was hurt would’ve been Kerstetter-Okafor-Majors-Angilau-Karic/Jones. If Conner can hold up at G, then swap Okafor for Conner. I don’t think LG or RG for him matters too much, but you could leave Angilau at RG if Kerstetter is the LT. 

I get doing it during the TCU game in an emergency change but to carry it over to OU was very odd.

• Like 1

Maybe the leg injury leading into the spring and not knowing when or how well he’d react upon his return. So run Jones at LT and he flashes some potential so you just keep running with it thinking he’ll come around.

But I’d also think with Okafor and Angilau switching sides from last year too (they did switch right?) there also may be something philosophically that has the maulers on the left side and agility on the right.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, MIkeHoncho said:

I should probably spoiler this in case there are people with underlying conditions, but this is the O-Line coaching history since 2015: 

image.png.04045e07334601e621921e59549156cf.png

I am very hopeful that Flood is the one to stop the O-Line Coaching Regard train. 

I always felt Mattox stopped it and should have been kept. If we lose Flood I go after Mattox again.

53 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I always felt Mattox stopped it and should have been kept. If we lose Flood I go after Mattox again.

I think the sentiment around here was since we were running the veer, it made the oline look far better than they actually were. Once we got away from it with Herman, our oline looked poor. The veer covers up for a shitty oline.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:52 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Pretty amazing that our offense is doing so well despite this. Imagine if we had a decent line. 

Glad DK is back at RT. As long as Tope doesn’t miss assignments, I’d assume he’ll be serviceable. OSU has a stout run D though.

Anyone know what’s the point of moving Junior to the left side? Seems like keeping one side’s chemistry in tact would be good. 

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Pretty amazing that our offense is doing so well despite this. Imagine if we had a decent line. 

Glad DK is back at RT. As long as Tope doesn’t miss assignments, I’d assume he’ll be serviceable. OSU has a stout run D though.

Anyone know what’s the point of moving Junior to the left side? Seems like keeping one side’s chemistry in tact would be good. 

He’s a fifth year guy who’s barely seen the field and he’s the coaches third choice to start at Guard, just barely above a true freshman, on a terrible OL. I’d say that’s a pretty hopeful assumption. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

Be nice!  His Mom is probably reading this thread.  And if she is anything like South Austin’s Mom, I would count your life in days! 🤪🤘 let’s give him a chance to block for Casey and Bijan!

Imade recently lost his mom to cancer.

• Like 3

Conner will be a good one. Karic is still TBD. This line is trash right now, but let's see how they respond during the season. They suck, but we'll fix it. I have faith Sark and Flood will do some magic 

The season is halfway over. They are what they are at this point.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The season is halfway over. They are what they are at this point.

Man, I'm just looking for anything at this point. At least Karic and Conner will have a lot of time to get stinger by next seaa9n, and Imade + Okafor are gone, but sadly we lose Kerstteter. Damn, that's a bleak outlook. I know next to nothing about Hoofkin, but I know Ghirmani (sp?) isn't even FCS good. We're probably gonna portal hunt hard. Maybe we land Donovan Jackson?

If you're going to pull a guard to get out in front of an RB, it isn't going to be Tope Imade. Even by OL standards, Imade is a wide land mammal. He'll improve the pass blocking if by nothing else making the defenders take time to run around him.

Glad he's finally getting his chance. Need to see him make the most of it.

18 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s a fifth year guy who’s barely seen the field and he’s the coaches third choice to start at Guard, just barely above a true freshman, on a terrible OL. I’d say that’s a pretty hopeful assumption. 

This. I have a theory that once we get to the 3rd year, and especially the 4th and an O-lineman not good enough to be a starter, you're playing yourself if you think he's still learning at practice. ESPECIALLY if they're not being benched because they just aren't strong enough yet. They can do rabbit drills and work on pass sets and quickness drills til they're blue in the face, but the guy has the feet and technique to learn the position by year 3 or he doesn't have it. You don't "get it" at 22 years old.  They practice this daily from their first day on campus.

I'm bullish on Karic still, he saw true freshman minutes and still has some developing to do, same with Conner. But Okafor and Imade are who they are at this point, and for one that was a below average left guard who had 4+ years to learn the position and still graded out his games as a less than average D1 guard. I don't think Imade will fare much better, but maybe we'll give him a gameplan he can work with. 

19 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

The theory I heard is that Angilau is our best lineman so they're hoping he can help Jones with his assignments.  Same for Kerstetter with Imade.