Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 10/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

One might surmise that a defense that is weak up the middle and is defending the perimeter would be susceptible up the the middle. That the threat of our outside attack helped set the table for success inside. Unless you’re that guy. In which case you’d feature IZ, never establish the ability to reach the edge and beat your head against the middle of a defense who’s expecting you to beat your head against the middle of the defense. 

Goalpost.gif

Thx for this @satyanash 

Scipio Tex postmortem on tcu game

OL

A very bad effort from Christian Jones in the first half. He gave up a free run sack to his inside on Thompson where he never contacted the DE (maybe he thought he had help, but definitely did not) and then gave up a free run tackle for loss to the same player on the same inside stunt. Again, he didn't touch him. Jones stabilized and got it cleaned up for a while, but struggled again when TCU inserted 220 pound Khari Coleman to sprint off of the edge and disrupt. Coleman is a one-trick pony who can't bull rush Jones. So get light on your feet, let him come to you, and push the sprinter past the QB and let the QB step up into the window. Or ride him out in the run game and punish the Frogs for going small.

Denzel Okafor went out for the game on Bijan's 27 yard touchdown run. Texas reconfigured, putting Karic at right tackle with Kerstetter going to left guard. This is why I like Andrej Karic. Skip to 37:40:

Watch #69 on the top right finish the play. Karic surrendered a pressure batted ball from Ochuan Mathis early and had a false startpenalty. After that, I really liked his play. Angilau continues to get good displacement in the interior running game.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

FWIW:  Not an excuse for the huge mental mistakes, but heard commentary on the radio this morning that Christian Jones played hurt vs tcu... 

He got rolled up on in the first quarter so that could explain some of his struggles with the speed rush on Saturday.

• Like 1

Yeah except those struggles existed in games 1-4 as well. 

And the year before. In general you put the more unathletic tackles on the right side because the ends they’re facing are usually bigger. But on obvious passing downs he’ll be a liability no matter.

He’s not being put in a position to succeed.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah except those struggles existed in games 1-4 as well. 

He looked hurt coming out of fall camp against Louisiana. It is likely he has been playing hurt all season. Doesn't excuse the mental errors, because he makes a lot, but could explain some of the physical breakdowns.

On replay, a couple or three  of costly false starts in goal to go scenarios .

Gotta clean that up.  All of them potentially costing 4 points each.

Between those, some BS PF penalties, Thompson's overthrows, and Xavier's drops, really kept this game much closer than it needed to be given TCU's apple turn overs.

Good on TCU, a couple of those fumbles could have been housed if they were not hustling.  Saved them some points.

Unrelated question on Thompson's INT.  Bad decision but do you think he threw it thinking he would get the holding flag?  My guess is probably not. One, you don't need to throw it to pick up the penalty like PI.  Two, it happened pretty early in the route, so even if he saw it he would have known there was no flag.

On replay, a couple or three  of costly false starts in goal to go scenarios .
Gotta clean that up.  All of them potentially costing 4 points each.
Between those, some BS PF penalties, Thompson's overthrows, and Xavier's drops, really kept this game much closer than it needed to be given TCU's apple turn overs.
Good on TCU, a couple of those fumbles could have been housed if they were not hustling.  Saved them some points.

Unrelated question on Thompson's INT.  Bad decision but do you think he threw it thinking he would get the holding flag?  My guess is probably not. One, you don't need to throw it to pick up the penalty like PI.  Two, it happened pretty early in the route, so even if he saw it he would have known there was no flag.

I’d say no on Thompson. It was triple coverage,which means there’s single elsewhere. And like you said the hold is not contingent on throwing him the ball. For whatever reason Thompson seems too locked on Worthy. Even at Tech when things went right the ball distribution was not good.

11 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d say no on Thompson. It was triple coverage,which means there’s single elsewhere. And like you said the hold is not contingent on throwing him the ball. For whatever reason Thompson seems too locked on Worthy. Even at Tech when things went right the ball distribution was not good.

Could be he only trusts Worthy, but yeah, Thompson needs to start finding the other progressions. Right now if appears to be Worthy, check down to Bijan. Then the other WRs get targets when they are the #1 read. 

I will say that Moore had a decent game, but was absolutely hosed on that spot on the 1st 3rd down conversion. The defender slung him forward, and wasn't down until he was clearly past the line to gai, but was spotted 2 yards back.

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Huh? He did a really nice job of working through his progressions and spreading the ball around to the open man against Tech. Whittington had more targets than Worthy and Moore had like one less than Worthy. It was very even distribution. 

59 minutes ago, bluto said:

Rewatching offense snaps vs TCU… c Jones is bad enough to lose nearly singlehandedly. And it probably impacts Casey’s internal clock as well.

I have zero doubts Casey was affected by pressure on several of his bad throws as well as failing to see open receivers. I think it affected his play just as it did Card against Arkansas. Any QB can be affected by pressure. The only question is, how much pressure does it take to do so. Both are green QBs. Casey is just a little less so. No one knows how well Casey would have handled the initial onslaughts Card faced against the hogs. He had the benefit of seeing it go down from the sidelines before stepping into it. Sarkisian made the right call to pull Card in that game, but should have done it sooner ... maybe mid-2nd Qtr. I'm not arguing to reinsert Card as the starter, but seems like many were overkill in both shitting on Card and their cheerleading of Casey. I think Sarkisian was candid in his statements that they made his decision difficult on who to initially start.

Edited by sith_horn

I have zero doubts Casey was affected by pressure on several of his bad throws as well as failing to see open receivers. I think it affected his play just as it did Card against Arkansas. Any QB can be affected by pressure. The only question is, how much pressure does it take to do so. Both are green QBs. Casey is just a little less so. No one knows how well Casey would have handled the initial onslaughts Card faced against the hogs. He had the benefit of seeing it go down from the sidelines before stepping into it. Sarkisian made the right call to pull Card in that game, but should have done it sooner ... maybe mid-2nd Qtr. I'm not arguing to reinsert Card as the starter, but seems like many were overkill in both shitting on Card and their cheerleading of Casey. I think Sarkisian was candid in his statements that they made his decision difficult on who to initially start.

A big hell no to card seeing the field in meaningful action outside of injury, unless we need a slot wr which I’m not opposed to if there was another backup qb with a pulse.
  • Haha 1

Huh? He did a really nice job of working through his progressions and spreading the ball around to the open man against Tech. Whittington had more targets than Worthy and Moore had like one less than Worthy. It was very even distribution. 

You’re right on Tech. It was Rice then early on vs TCU he seemed heavy on Worthy. Looking back at the box scores and play-by-play, Moore doesn’t get many throws beyond the line of scrimmage. Only Three catches more than 10 yards. Whittington did have a few drops prior to TCU, but he can make plays. And overall we haven’t really thrown it that often. We also have the jet sweep look that impacts the passing numbers.

Overall, our passing game effectiveness is tbd, but the intermediate game needs more chances for our 2nd and 3rd options.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this @satyanash 

Scipio Tex postmortem on tcu game

OL

A very bad effort from Christian Jones in the first half. He gave up a free run sack to his inside on Thompson where he never contacted the DE (maybe he thought he had help, but definitely did not) and then gave up a free run tackle for loss to the same player on the same inside stunt. Again, he didn't touch him. Jones stabilized and got it cleaned up for a while, but struggled again when TCU inserted 220 pound Khari Coleman to sprint off of the edge and disrupt. Coleman is a one-trick pony who can't bull rush Jones. So get light on your feet, let him come to you, and push the sprinter past the QB and let the QB step up into the window. Or ride him out in the run game and punish the Frogs for going small.

Denzel Okafor went out for the game on Bijan's 27 yard touchdown run. Texas reconfigured, putting Karic at right tackle with Kerstetter going to left guard. This is why I like Andrej Karic. Skip to 37:40:

Watch #69 on the top right finish the play. Karic surrendered a pressure batted ball from Ochuan Mathis early and had a false startpenalty. After that, I really liked his play. Angilau continues to get good displacement in the interior running game.

Edit: nvm I found it. 

Edited by DoneWithit

I just realized how worrisome this offensive line group is going to look after graduation--even if we're just losing Kerstetter, Okafor, and Tope. 

image.png.4ffa3fb4d235022bef23f12e368817a5.png

I don't want to hate on our guys, there's some high-upside young guys in there, but I don't think we can call any of them proven and reliable assets yet. I have faith in Flood and Sark and I have faith in these guys. But unless some of 'em take big steps/we find some depth in the portal/we land someone like Devon Campbell and he's ready to contribute as a true frosh, there's a scenario where things get worse before they get better, even if Flood coaches his tail off. 

Edited by touchthemonolith

5 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I just realized how worrisome this offensive line group is going to look after graduation--even if we're just losing Kerstetter, Okafor, and Tope. 

I don't want to hate on our guys, there's some high-upside young guys in there, but I don't think we can call any of them proven and reliable assets yet. I have faith in Flood and Sark and I have faith in these guys. But unless some of 'em take big steps/we find some depth in the portal/we land someone like Devon Campbell and he's ready to contribute as a true frosh, there's a scenario where things get worse before they get better, even if Flood coaches his tail off. 

Is Hookfin still banged up? Seems like he'd be getting in the mix more, especially with the shuffling after the Okafor injury. He was listed as 3rd team RT on the TCU depth chart. 

Or maybe the talk of him being a viable piece was just 9.95er hype.

13 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

There are potentially 4 OL transfers we have a good shot with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You’re right on Tech. It was Rice then early on vs TCU he seemed heavy on Worthy. Looking back at the box scores and play-by-play, Moore doesn’t get many throws beyond the line of scrimmage. Only Three catches more than 10 yards. Whittington did have a few drops prior to TCU, but he can make plays. And overall we haven’t really thrown it that often. We also have the jet sweep look that impacts the passing numbers.

Overall, our passing game effectiveness is tbd, but the intermediate game needs more chances for our 2nd and 3rd options.

The very poor accuracy on throws beyond 20 yards has obviously affected Moore more than the other receivers.  I don't see this changing drastically for the foreseeable future.  The Worthy drop and the Whittington high point catch last game were on some pretty poorly delivered balls.  Moore could keep working on drawing PI calls or something like that, and then count on some blown coverages 

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

The very poor accuracy on throws beyond 20 yards has obviously affected Moore more than the other receivers.  I don't see this changing drastically for the foreseeable future.  The Worthy drop and the Whittington high point catch last game were on some pretty poorly delivered balls.  Moore could keep working on drawing PI calls or something like that, and then count on some blown coverages 

Moore needs to work on beating coverages. 

Oh wow, here is the shakeup. Karic to RT and Kerstetter to LG. I think I like it, hopefully gives Jones a little more help on that left side.

Edited by UncleSonny
I guess this is what we did after Okafor went down against TCU as well, I was thinking Karic just plugged into LG for him for some reason.

49 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Is Hookfin still banged up? Seems like he'd be getting in the mix more, especially with the shuffling after the Okafor injury. He was listed as 3rd team RT on the TCU depth chart. 

Or maybe the talk of him being a viable piece was just 9.95er hype.

Perhaps another year in the incubator will have him ready. Also wonder/hope the same for Tyler Johnson. He is at least on the depth chart even if Karic and Hayden Conner are ahead of him. One report said he came in out of shape in 2020. Otherwise, not sure what is holding up his development. I think Hayden Conner is a promising prospect and Jake Majors will have a year of starts and maturing under his belt barring injury*. If Angilau stays he's solid. I'd say Karic, Conner and Majors are the most likely contributors of the young guys. Maybe Parr can work his way into the discussion as an interior piece. Definitely room for stud recruits and transfers.

Not having Jones and Okafor next to each other is probably a net win in pass pro, despite Kerstetter not exactly being experienced at G. They were both prone to complete whiffs. The basic concepts of pass protection aren’t typically that complicated and you can at least trust Kerstetter to get his assignment right. Do not there’s only one guy prone to completely screwing up his assignment on the left side.

The downside of course is Karic has big shoes to fill in that running being Angilau and Kerstetter has been really effective and the question probably isn’t if we’ll see a drop off but whether not it’s going to be really bad.

Could work out better on net. Could be an unmitigated disaster. Should be a little better than this past Saturday as the unit will get to practice together.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Perhaps another year in the incubator will have him ready. Also wonder/hope the same for Tyler Johnson. He is at least on the depth chart even if Karic and Hayden Conner are ahead of him. One report said he came in out of shape in 2020. Otherwise, not sure what is holding up his development. I think Hayden Conner is a promising prospect and Jake Majors will have a year of starts and maturing under his belt barring injury*. If Angilau stays he's solid. I'd say Karic, Conner and Majors are the most likely contributors of the young guys. Maybe Parr can work his way into the discussion as an interior piece. Definitely room for stud recruits and transfers.

I really liked Tyler Johnson's upside and it's been a shame to see him not make much noise. The blue chips in that #3 ranked 2019 class have been a bit of a nightmare in general: Bru McCoy, J-Whitt, Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, De'Gabriel Floyd, Tyler Owens, and Kenyatta Watson. We all know about Bru and De'Gabriel (never played a down but for very different reasons), Kenyatta and Smith aren't with the program anymore, the Tylers are essentially irrelevant right now, and only J-Whitt is making meaningful contributions on game days. 

52 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Didn’t Karic play RT the last two games of 2020 when Kerstetter got injured? They seemed to run pretty well in those games. Not the greatest defenses, but still two P5 opponents. 

He played LT and Jones played RT.

image.thumb.png.ebb1dd898b08b6867b1e6962d8ce8400.pngP

Edited by Longhornlove
proof
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I think Karic pass blocks better than Jones, but obviously Flood thinks differently.

Maybe he should review the Alamo Bowl again?

Karic is mean, I'll rewatch and get back to you. First thought is yes he is better at Pass pro. Physically jones does look more like a tackle. Connor Williams also looked more like a guard and all that did was make him All American and a 2nd round draft pick at guard.

• Hook 'Em 1