2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Damn... I thought we'd at least make it to the season before this shit. Herman really needs to find his balance and the right approach towards practices. I'm not going to act like I'd know what it is. Just hope both are back for LSU

It's folly to think Herman isn't going to conduct at least one all-out scrimmage. It's how he develops the physicality that allows us to beat the Georgias of the world in January.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's folly to think Herman isn't going to conduct at least one all-out scrimmage. It's how he develops the physicality that allows us to beat the Georgias of the world in January.

True, but not every injury has come from a scrimmage. Again, don't know how you ease up without sacrificing physicality but Herman needs to find his balance. 

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

True, but not every injury has come from a scrimmage. Again, don't know how you ease up without sacrificing physicality but Herman needs to find his balance. 

Every team deals with injuries. OU already lost Norwood for the season and Bama, Trey Sanders (on the last play of practice, no less). This is why you have to recruit at a high level every year. That's the solution.

I do hope/expect Herman to tone things down as we near the start of the season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Maybe it’s folly to have all out practices when the roster still isn’t loaded for bear. We keep losing key cogs with little depth behind them each preseason.

Got 4 ballers in the RB room? Let’s go make snot bubbles. 

Have 3 scholly RB’s, one decent LT, or I can’t remember who this happened to last year? And perhaps we should seek to protect that position a bit. 

Hopefully the prognosis is good. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

For fucks sake, can we hear one injury report without bleeding like a synchronized menarch team?
It's a violent sport. You play it right, shit will happen sometimes. That's the price for making more shit happen to the guys in the wrong colored jerseys.

This. Fucking bunch of pearl clutching Mack brown scares you to death pussies. Just chill.
  • Like 6

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

Maybe it’s folly to have all our practices when the roster still isn’t loaded for bear. We keep losing key cogs with little depth behind them each preseason.

Got 4 ballers in the RB room? Let’s go make snot bubbles. 

Have 3 scholly RB’s, one decent LT, or I can’t remember who this happened to last year? And perhaps we should seek to protect that position a bit. 

Hopefully the prognosis is good. 

If we can't have one full contact practice with our entire team, then it defeats the purpose of the whole thing. How the hell is the defense going to get proper reps if they can't tackle our skill players to the ground?

• Like 2

Just now, Machinator said:

If we can't have one full contact practice with our entire team, then it defeats the purpose of the whole thing. How the hell is the defense going to get proper reps if they can't tackle our skill players to the ground?

Wanna tackle a WR?  Knock his ass down. 

Wanna tackle a RB when we only have three on the roster? And only two of those are meaningful contributors? Maybe we should be smarter. 

Again, I’m all for physical practices and all our scrimmages. But gotdam, there are certain positions we can’t afford to lose. 

I assure you Sam wasn’t tackled to the ground. And for the same reason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Wanna tackle a RB when we only have three on the roster? And only two of those are meaningful contributors? Maybe we should be smarter. 

I'm sure our elite, experienced, deep linebacker corps will be well-prepared for dealing with the Kennedy Brooks and John Emerys of the world by playing thud tempo.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Again, I’m all for physical practices and all our scrimmages. But gotdam, there are certain positions we can’t afford to lose. 

This. Maybe we need to give RBs a rule similar to QBs while there is only 3 scholarship RBs healthy. We're lucky we have the depth at Safety, now we need to pray Ingram's (and Sterns') injury isn't serious.

Some of us are big boys and understand the sport and know you need to go full speed on occasion. I’m not all “the sky is falling” but I can be “are you fucking kidding me?” when I see Ingram’s name pop up. The kid played hurt most of last year and was almost never as effective as he could have been. He’s ultra important this year with the thin RB room, and he has a bum knee heading into the season? I feel for him. 

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

For fucks sake, can we hear one injury report without bleeding like a synchronized menarch team?

It's a violent sport. You play it right, shit will happen sometimes. That's the price for making more shit happen to the guys in the wrong colored jerseys.

Hey man, I'm just making the observation based on literally every season Herman has been a HC, and hoping he figures out a fix. No, his practices will never be injury free and in fact, some of his practices went the other way in terms of toughness. 

Again, hoping he finds a balance. What's wrong with that?

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This too

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm sure our elite, experienced, deep linebacker corps will be well-prepared for dealing with the Kennedy Brooks and John Emerys of the world by playing thud tempo.

It won’t matter a lick if they are or aren’t if we’ve got some walk-on in the game at RB because we made sure to tackle our thin RB group to the ground in a scrimmage.

It’s a circular argument. There’s a balance. Again, knock people’s dicks in the dirt when we have depth. Sterns is a survivable loss. Ingram’s loss is probably worth a L or three on the schedule. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Hey man, I'm just making the observation based on literally every season Herman has been a HC, and hoping he figures out a fix. No, his practices will never be injury free and in fact, some of his practices went the other way in terms of toughness. 

Again, hoping he finds a balance. What's wrong with that?

He's decided on his balance. Physicality is worth a couple of injuries. Nasty luck it happened to be Sterns and Ingram in the same practice, but hopefully they turn out to be minor things.