2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

20 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Looks like the first digit is a “3,” so I’m guessing Gbenda.

Crap, the Whittington video was at the base of the prior page and I thought it was the last post, so I’m agreeing with TommyGufano, who beat me to the punch an hour ago.

This concludes the guinea competition on this board, then. We now know who the real stinking WOP genius really is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those funny helmets have been shown to help cushion the mechanical effect of direct blows. It stands to reason but is not yet well-shown in the literature that they reduce the frequency and severity of head trauma. There is some concern further design work may be needed to ensure they slide against the ground better to make sure they don’t unintentionally increase other injuries like bending-moment c-spine injuries. My guess is that fatter helmets will become the norm within a few years, with extra padding in some fashion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Those funny helmets have been shown to help cushion the mechanical effect of direct blows. It stands to reason but is not yet well-shown in the literature that they reduce the frequency and severity of head trauma. There is some concern further design work may be needed to ensure they slide against the ground better to make sure they don’t unintentionally increase other injuries like bending-moment c-spine injuries.

And schools have drastically decreased their full-contact practices. I believe Texas HSs are now limited to 90 minutes a week. These helmet pads are meant to reduce incidental or accidental contact in practice. Basically cutting down on "wear and tear" and saving it for games. Linemen bang heads on nearly every play. This cuts down on that a lot.

43 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Those funny helmets have been shown to help cushion the mechanical effect of direct blows. It stands to reason but is not yet well-shown in the literature that they reduce the frequency and severity of head trauma. There is some concern further design work may be needed to ensure they slide against the ground better to make sure they don’t unintentionally increase other injuries like bending-moment c-spine injuries. My guess is that fatter helmets will become the norm within a few years, with extra padding in some fashion.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

And schools have drastically decreased their full-contact practices. I believe Texas HSs are now limited to 90 minutes a week. These helmet pads are meant to reduce incidental or accidental contact in practice. Basically cutting down on "wear and tear" and saving it for games. Linemen bang heads on nearly every play. This cuts down on that a lot.

Yep to a few things in this post.  

1) the helmet covers are more and more common. See a lot of lineman, LBs and RBs wearing em.  7 on 7 has a mandatory cap like thing to wear starting this last year.  

2) I’m an athletic trainer at a central TX HS and we very very rarely do full contact hitting drills and just “thud” during team and 7 on 7 parts of practice.  There are times tackling to the ground happens but it’s not something we want happening. Our guys don’t wear pants either. They have basically the Nike girdles with pads in all the spots that pants pads would be and have neoprene knee pads with shorts over the top. 

Its crazy to me to see how advanced technology is and the study of prevention is when rugby does the same thing with no pads and doesn’t have nearly the problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Yep to a few things in this post.  

1) the helmet covers are more and more common. See a lot of lineman, LBs and RBs wearing em.  7 on 7 has a mandatory cap like thing to wear starting this last year.  

2) I’m an athletic trainer at a central TX HS and we very very rarely do full contact hitting drills and just “thud” during team and 7 on 7 parts of practice.  There are times tackling to the ground happens but it’s not something we want happening. Our guys don’t wear pants either. They have basically the Nike girdles with pads in all the spots that pants pads would be and have neoprene knee pads with shorts over the top. 

Its crazy to me to see how advanced technology is and the study of prevention is when rugby does the same thing with no pads and doesn’t have nearly the problem. 

For rugby, the lack of helmets is the key. You're a lot more careful, even on a subconscious level, where you put your skull when it's unguarded.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This is true in regards the traditional two a days basically being a thing of the past.  With more schools starting in early to mid August,  what used to be a three to four week prep time is now down to a week and a half.   Plus I believe you can only have a traditional two a day like session every other day, so you in effect only have three or four true two a day practices.

I don't know if this is really a good thing,  Since they've gone to this strategy, seems to me it's taking maybe three games into the season to see kids in game shape.    I'm all for the precautions they have to take now a days to account for the heat and some of the other issues which were not as prevalent back in the day when we had REAL two a days which made August a real hell month.  I think the UIL should re-visit the two a days thing and allow practices to start a couple of weeks earlier with more of a non contact period and then allow the contact period to begin around this time.