2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is so stupid. For starters, you have no clue if the injury was from “taking blows”. It could have been a freak no-contact type injury. 

In addition, the early description of both injuries point at sprains or other non-contact injuries that could have just as easily happened during conditioning work. You have to let guys get some full speed reps in during fall camp. Sometimes injuries happen when you do that. It is what it is. You get 85 scholarships for a reason.

36 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You know, you’re right, and I seem to have addressed that above. But given that this is the third consecutive year that this has happened, and that it happened on a scrimmage day I have a better than fair shot of being right.

It’s possible that these are both non contact issues, and, as I said above, that’s a trade off you make at a thing position. But It’s probable that both happened in the scrimmage. 

I know, it’s easy to shout “big pussy” or “we won’t be able to tackle in October if we don’t beat up key players in August”. That’s fine. Coaches once handed out salt tablets and restricted water intake too.

It’s probable that both injuries are minor and will have both players back by the season if not large portions of the season. But it’s also just as possible that we see some 5’4” walk-on getting snaps against LSU if Ingram’s injury lingers. 

eat a bag of dicks you big pussy

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s probable that both injuries are minor and will have both players back by the season if not large portions of the season. But it’s also just as possible that we see some 5’4” walk-on getting snaps against LSU if Ingram’s injury lingers. 

Injuries happen.... it's football

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Injuries happen.... it's football

It’s amazing that some of you have a really hard grasping two concepts at once. “Injuries happen, it’s football” can coexist  with “protect your limited assets”. Alabama has 4-5 stars waiting in line at every position on the field. There’s probably 3-4 all everything players waiting in the wings to replace Sanders. If he was even a starter. I don’t follow the Tide.

We started  fall ball with two legitimate RB’s, a JAG and a stain glass window. So really we had two guys we’d trust to play starter minutes in any given game. Two. With that in mind you might consider protecting the best one of the two, and the one with actual starting experience in the offense within reason. If it’s a non contact kind of thing you shrug your shoulders  and flip off Lady Luck.  But don’t step on your own dick if you don’t have to.  

I hope both players are back to full strength by the start of the season or LSU at the worst. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Any practice reports or is everyone just posting around like a bunch a Kansas City fagets?

TFB scrimmage report

Texas held a team scrimmage today. Here are a few sourced notes regarding said scrimmage…

***Was told there were quite a few explosive plays on offense.

***Source said John Burt had a pretty acrobatic catch that might have been the highlight of the day.

***Also told that due to some guys being held out, Jake Smith and Kennedy Lewis got a lot of reps. Heard Jake Smith too a screen 50 yards to the house.

***Marcus Washington didn’t practice.

***The RB core was Danny Young and walk-ons. Looks like Jordan Whittington and Ingram were out. Will mentioned both Ingram and Sterns being out. It sounds precautionary…tweaks but don’t quote me…that was just the initial word I received.

***Was told freshman DT, T’Vondre Sweat is going to be a monster. Sounds like he’s impressing the coaches and has already won the respect of his teammates. I don’t know that he will make a big impact this year, given who is in front of him. But it sounds like it’s just a matter of time.

***Was told Green, Cook, Jamison and Boyce all took reps with the 1s but of the four CBs it sounds like Green was put in with the 1s most frequently. I suppose that’s because he will start in place of Cook (suspending) in the first game.

***Heard Todd Orlando is working on finding ways to move Overshown around. I get the sense that they like the diversity of his skill set which apparently includes an ability to get to the QB. Was told he can be pretty special if Orlando finds the right way to utilize him.

***Was told Sam and Casey Thompson looked good. Was told Roschon Johnson struggled quite a bit.

***Sounds like a little brawl broke out, as well. Apparently Ossai (who is very intense) and Sam got into it and then Brennan Eagles, seeing his QB in a tussle, came flying in. A brawl ensued. Love the edge!

That’s it for now. If you have any specific questions, again, just leave them below and when if were able to get an answer for you, we’ll pass it along.

*** UPDATE 12:37PM ***

Here are some notes from the week in general as well:

– Freshman LB Marcus Tillman continues to impress. Apparently things are coming to him easily because he played the same defense in high school and already has the Spring under his belt.

– LB Ayodele Adeoye is looking faster than he has in the past. I was told he is looking a little bit better than Anthony Wheeler.

– Sam Ehlinger is getting used to his new receivers currently, but everything is still there as far as his level of play from last year.

– WR Brennan Eagles had a breakout week last week with some big receptions downfield. He’s bigger than most of the DBs and just as fast.

– WR Devin Duvernay is taking over the quick slant behind the line and go role that Lil’Jordan Humphrey had last year.

– TE Cade Brewer has apparently been a great receiving target and Ehlinger is finding him more often than he did Beck. The problem is his blocking is still a question mark. Per Herman, he made a great one handed catch in the scrimmage for a touchdown.

(Will Baizer)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB scrimmage report

Reveal hidden contents

Texas held a team scrimmage today. Here are a few sourced notes regarding said scrimmage…

***Was told there were quite a few explosive plays on offense.

***Source said John Burt had a pretty acrobatic catch that might have been the highlight of the day.

***Also told that due to some guys being held out, Jake Smith and Kennedy Lewis got a lot of reps. Heard Jake Smith too a screen 50 yards to the house.

***Marcus Washington didn’t practice.

***The RB core was Danny Young and walk-ons. Looks like Jordan Whittington and Ingram were out. Will mentioned both Ingram and Sterns being out. It sounds precautionary…tweaks but don’t quote me…that was just the initial word I received.

***Was told freshman DT, T’Vondre Sweat is going to be a monster. Sounds like he’s impressing the coaches and has already won the respect of his teammates. I don’t know that he will make a big impact this year, given who is in front of him. But it sounds like it’s just a matter of time.

***Was told Green, Cook, Jamison and Boyce all took reps with the 1s but of the four CBs it sounds like Green was put in with the 1s most frequently. I suppose that’s because he will start in place of Cook (suspending) in the first game.

***Heard Todd Orlando is working on finding ways to move Overshown around. I get the sense that they like the diversity of his skill set which apparently includes an ability to get to the QB. Was told he can be pretty special if Orlando finds the right way to utilize him.

***Was told Sam and Casey Thompson looked good. Was told Roschon Johnson struggled quite a bit.

***Sounds like a little brawl broke out, as well. Apparently Ossai (who is very intense) and Sam got into it and then Brennan Eagles, seeing his QB in a tussle, came flying in. A brawl ensued. Love the edge!

That’s it for now. If you have any specific questions, again, just leave them below and when if were able to get an answer for you, we’ll pass it along.

*** UPDATE 12:37PM ***

Here are some notes from the week in general as well:

– Freshman LB Marcus Tillman continues to impress. Apparently things are coming to him easily because he played the same defense in high school and already has the Spring under his belt.

– LB Ayodele Adeoye is looking faster than he has in the past. I was told he is looking a little bit better than Anthony Wheeler.

– Sam Ehlinger is getting used to his new receivers currently, but everything is still there as far as his level of play from last year.

– WR Brennan Eagles had a breakout week last week with some big receptions downfield. He’s bigger than most of the DBs and just as fast.

– WR Devin Duvernay is taking over the quick slant behind the line and go role that Lil’Jordan Humphrey had last year.

– TE Cade Brewer has apparently been a great receiving target and Ehlinger is finding him more often than he did Beck. The problem is his blocking is still a question mark. Per Herman, he made a great one handed catch in the scrimmage for a touchdown.

(Will Baizer)

Oops. Looks like Batronic needs to advocate to hold Ingram out of all drills and practice.

So they weren’t even injured during the scrimmage? Batronic might want to go delete some posts where he looks like an idiot for speculating. 

Even funnier is it sounds like the staff was holding both out for precautionary reasons. Protecting them against injuries. Hilarious after Batronics idiotic rant. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ingram’s loss is probably worth a L or three on the schedule. 

Yeah, Ingram's loss is totally worth three losses on the schedule. 🙄

We don't need Keontay against LaTech or Rice - we need him healthy for LSU. If he tweaked his knee then let him untweak it while Whittington and Young put some work in. Sam is still a capable runner himself. 

As for Sterns our DB room is deep as hell. And a rolled ankle is nothing. He will be good to go for week 1. 

Herman's teams will never be 100% because of what he expects in practice and that's fine. It will become less of an issue the more classes Tom gets on campus and the deeper we get across the board. To someone else's point - that's why we show up and whip teams like Georgia come bowl season. Because Herman doesn't have us practice like a bunch of 7 on 7 no contact Sooner pussies. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Even funnier is it sounds like the staff was holding both out for precautionary reasons. Protecting them against injuries. Hilarious after Batronics idiotic rant. 

I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I wish they hadn't held Jordan out, if he was healthy (and the reports are true). Our defense needs practice against dynamic threats out of the backfield.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, Ingram's loss is totally worth three losses on the schedule. 🙄

We don't need Keontay against LaTech or Rice - we need him healthy for LSU. If he tweaked his knee then let him untweak it while Whittington and Young put some work in. Sam is still a capable runner himself. 

As for Sterns our DB room is deep as hell. And a rolled ankle is nothing. He will be good to go for week 1. 

Herman's teams will never be 100% because of what he expects in practice and that's fine. It will become less of an issue the more classes Tom gets on campus and the deeper we get across the board. To someone else's point - that's why we show up and whip teams like Georgia come bowl season. Because Herman doesn't have us practice like a bunch of 7 on 7 no contact Sooner pussies. 

It could be worth three L’s if the normal course of football injuries, particularly to that of RB, played out over the course of a season and we were left with one of Whitt and or Young paired with a walk-on. 

You can’t come at me with “injuries happen in football” and the. Ignore the high probability that injuries will  continue to happen during the actual football season.

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It could be worth three L’s if the normal course of football injuries, particularly to that of RB, played out over the course of a season and we were left with one of Whitt and or Young paired with a walk-on. 

Way to change the goalposts. What's your prediction for this season? 11-1? 10-2? You think this team is going 8-4 or 7-5 if Keontay never saw the field? I don't buy that. 

And, while we're on the subject, did you see what Smith was capable of out of the backfield in high school? (pretty sure he went 1k/1k)

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So they weren’t even injured during the scrimmage? Batronic might want to go delete some posts where he looks like an idiot for speculating. 

I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m fine with their being hurt during the course of normal practice.it happens.

Oh noes, I was wrong about their being injured during the scrimmage. How will I ever weather your small peen BS. If the coaches held them out it was smart. It would also be against the grain of their prior pre season work. 

• Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Way to change the goalposts. What's your prediction for this season? 11-1? 10-2? You think this team is going 8-4 or 7-5 if Keontay never saw the field? I don't buy that. 

It’s almost like I posted 10-2 in this very thread. And yes, 9-3 to 7-5 are well within the realm of possibility if we don’t have a credible running threat to pair with Sam. Like if we had to play a walk on at RB. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Like if we had to play a walk on at RB. 

It's August 11th. We are still not close to a walk-on getting carries out of the backfield. Keontay might be 100% on August 31st. If he isn't our room is Whittington/DY/Smith before any walk-ons touch the field. 

26 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m fine with their being hurt during the course of normal practice.it happens.

Oh noes, I was wrong about their being injured during the scrimmage. How will I ever weather your small peen BS. If the coaches held them out it was smart. It would also be against the grain of their prior pre season work. 

This guy doesn’t fuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's August 11th. We are still not close to a walk-on getting carries out of the backfield. Keontay might be 100% on August 31st. If he isn't our room is Whittington/DY/Smith before any walk-ons touch the field. 

Ok. Follow me here. If Ingram had to miss extended time it would be Young, Whitt and a walk-on. Almost certainly one of the two starters would get dinged during the course of a season. Hence one plus a walk-on. There’s no starter going to carry the load for 13 games. Which means a walk- would have to get significant playing time. And then it would fall to which games he were forced to play in. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ok. Follow me here. If Ingram had to miss extended time it would be Young, Whitt and a walk-on. Almost certainly one of the two starters would get dinged during the course of a season. Hence one plus a walk-on. There’s no starter going to carry the load for 13 games. Which means a walk- would have to get significant playing time. And then it would fall to which games he were forced to play in. 

It doesn't sound like KI is missing significant time - let alone the entire season. 

And like I said, I would put the ball in Jake's hands before any walk on. 

To expound - Sam is perfectly fine with 12-15 carries a game behind what should be an improved OL. Even with KI at 100% the entire season Sam would still be getting carries. He ran for what, 15 TDs last year and only missed 3 quarters the entire season? (granted he played below 100% in a couple games)

48 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You sure do talk about others “peens” a lot. Sounds like you have a fetish there. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That’s a lot of ifs.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I wish they hadn't held Jordan out, if he was healthy (and the reports are true). Our defense needs practice against dynamic threats out of the backfield.

If they’re dinged up I have no issue with them being held out. 

It’s the idiotic Batronic position that’s nonsensical. They obviously have to get some reps in fall camp if they’re healthy.