2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB practice notes

Hide contents

OL:
Sam Cosmi – Junior Angilau – Zach Shackelford – Derek Kerstetter – Denzel Okafor

Reese Moore – Tope Imade – Rafiti Ghirmai – JP Urquidez – Christian Jones

– Man,senior WR Collin Johnson is smooth. It’s like he’s taking a test with the answer sheet right next to him. He knows where to move, how to get pst defenders, and how to high point the ball.

– CB Jalen Green was tasked with guarding Collin Johnson and broke up a number of passes. He is looking like he may live up to the hype.

No Braun on the OL depth chart? Also, gotta love the zero sum sunshine pump with CJ and Green.

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

That’s not even the right quote from the scene.

I'll take your word for it. I don't remember the full scene. But it is quite interesting that Smith jumped up to second string already after just a few practices. That's probably a good sign he'll push for a healthy number of snaps this year.

1 minute ago, Voluminous Banality said:

That's probably a good sign he'll push for a healthy number of snaps this year.

Definitely sounds like it. I mean, if we jump back to his senior season, it's pretty fucking stupid he wasn't a 5 star. National offensive player of the year. Has probably gone a little more under the radar not being an early enrollee. 

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s also very concerning that Jevon Shepherd and Tyler Johnson didn’t know all the plays and line steps after 2 days of practice. 

Well, Tyler Johnson also has spring practice under his belt. So you're gonna need to increase your concern for him at least 10-fold

"– VERY INTERESTING NOTE, it looks like the coaches are very comfortable with taking a B-backer off the field and replacing him with Demarvion Overshown. Byron Hobbs was relegated to third team and replaced with Demarvion Overshown. He isn’t a B-Backer. But he’s closer to the line than Joker.

– Also, Freshman WR Jake Smith was moved up mid-practice to work with the twos at slot."

Two best notes from that report IMO.  If Overshown is good enough to see the field consistently, the defense's ceiling is higher.  If Smith is good enough to get looks this year, it means he's going to make explosive plays.  I had/have worries that neither would be ready for that role this year.  We'll see.

After watching those interviews, I'm hyped about this defense.  We've got a mix of some very athletic DL in Coburn, Graham, Roach, and Ossai.  While Dele needs to work on his quickness, he's not as stiff as Wheeler.  McCollouch played very well in the spring game and moved very well.  Looks like he's lost some weight.  I think he can fill the role that Malik played and GJ had two years ago.  This DB group is going to rival the 2005-2006 DB squad.  Stern and Foster are fucking badasses.  Jones has played a LOT of football here.  He played very well last year and I hope he only builds on that.  The group of Cook, Jamison, and Green has enough elite talent to figure it out.  Jamison and Green have elite athleticism that should at least help them while they gain experience.  Cook was probably the best cover guy last year.  Round that group out with two guys that would start at other good P5 programs in Overshown and Brown.  I wouldn't pick another DB group in the country over these guys.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3

Hmm, I was under the impression that Green and Cook would be our starting corners but it sounds like they'll be battling it out for the same side. And Jamison will get the corner spot on the other side.

I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping one of Cook or Green off the field. I also question how much Boyce can really challenge Jamison for the #1 spot.