2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

Spoiler

Texas had four consecutive football practices, and I checked in with sources to find out if there was any new information I could pass along to you before the first padded practice on Wednesday.

There are definitely some developments I need to pass along to you:

--- The biggest development is Moro Ojomo has been moved to nose guard. Gerald Wilbon has been battling a hip injury, and according to my source, Keondre Coburn and Ojomo have excelled. From what I was told, Coburn is currently the starter, and it appears he might lock up that position soon. Ojomo is currently the second-string nose guard, followed by Wilbon.

--- Texas installed a third-down package on Monday that should make your mouth water. The package featured four receivers, but here is the kicker. Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay were in the slot, while Brennan Eagles and Malcolm Epps were the outside receivers. From what I was told, Johnson replaced Lil’Jordan Humphrey in the slot. Outside of Duvernay, every receiver in the field was tall and fast. When I asked a source to describe how it looked, I was told, “It looked great.”

--- Speaking of looking great, quarterback Casey Thompson has been very impressive during training camp. I was told Thompson continues to improve every day, and nobody inside the building is worried about his skillset. From what I was told, the only concern is how he might handle playing in a game and his inexperience. Nobody knows how Thompson will react in an actual college game. Outside of that, everyone I spoke to believes Thompson has the tools to succeed.

--- I was told Duvernay’s move to the slot has gone very well. There is a lot of speed on the field with him and Brennan Eagles on the same side. This is something to keep an eye on.

--- Out of curiosity, I asked one source how fast Jake Smith really is. I was actually told Smith might be fourth fasted player in the room, behind Duvernay, John Burt and Eagles. Here is what I was told: “The thing that makes him look really fast is he has great acceleration and great change of direction. Elite. He can go from zero to 60 fast. Now, his 60 is not as fast as Duvernay’s 60, but he can also change direction much better than those three guys.”

--- Jeffrey McCulloch did miss practice on Monday due to an illness, but there are no concerns about his long-term health.

--- D’Shawn Jamison and Jalen Green are currently the starting cornerbacks. One source told me Anthony Cook has some ground to make up. For now, Jamison and Green are the starting cornerbacks.

--- Freshman running back Jordan Whittington is the clear backup to Keaontay Ingram. Everybody believes Whittington is the real deal. As a result, Kirk Johnson is currently the third-string running back, while Daniel Young is a situational player.

--- Finally, I did ask about freshman Roschon Johnson. I was told the coaches are tinkering with his throwing motion, and that is why Johnson has struggled during practice. Johnson has been frustrated, but those close to him have said this is a long-term project and encouraged him to be patient. They want him to attempt simple passes with the new throwing motion during practice, even if the results are not pretty. The transformation is going to take some time.

Some Anwar Richardson practice notes. I'm skeptical of several parts, like calling Johnson and Epps fast.

I wonder what's going on with Anthony Cook.

I also wonder if Duvernay has been moved to slot because they think Eagles would win the Z spot in a position battle. We know the staff likes to play vets unless absolutely forced not to. If (this is a big if and not something I think will happen) Smith/Moore and Eagles are both demonstrably better than Duvernay in games then I wonder how the staff would handle it.

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Texas had four consecutive football practices, and I checked in with sources to find out if there was any new information I could pass along to you before the first padded practice on Wednesday.

--- The biggest development is Moro Ojomo has been moved to nose guard. Gerald Wilbon has been battling a hip injury, and according to my source, Keondre Coburn and Ojomo have excelled. From what I was told, Coburn is currently the starter, and it appears he might lock up that position soon. Ojomo is currently the second-string nose guard, followed by Wilbon.

--- Texas installed a third-down package on Monday that should make your mouth water. The package featured four receivers, but here is the kicker. Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay were in the slot, while Brennan Eagles and Malcolm Epps were the outside receivers. From what I was told, Johnson replaced Lil’Jordan Humphrey in the slot. Outside of Duvernay, every receiver in the field was tall and fast. When I asked a source to describe how it looked, I was told, “It looked great.”

--- Speaking of looking great, quarterback Casey Thompson has been very impressive during training camp. I was told Thompson continues to improve every day, and nobody inside the building is worried about his skillset. From what I was told, the only concern is how he might handle playing in a game and his inexperience. Nobody knows how Thompson will react in an actual college game. Outside of that, everyone I spoke to believes Thompson has the tools to succeed.

--- I was told Duvernay’s move to the slot has gone very well. There is a lot of speed on the field with him and Brennan Eagles on the same side. This is something to keep an eye on.

--- Out of curiosity, I asked one source how fast Jake Smith really is. I was actually told Smith might be fourth fasted player in the room, behind Duvernay, John Burt and Eagles. Here is what I was told: “The thing that makes him look really fast is he has great acceleration and great change of direction. Elite. He can go from zero to 60 fast. Now, his 60 is not as fast as Duvernay’s 60, but he can also change direction much better than those three guys.”

--- Jeffrey McCulloch did miss practice on Monday due to an illness, but there are no concerns about his long-term health.

--- D’Shawn Jamison and Jalen Green are currently the starting cornerbacks. One source told me Anthony Cook has some ground to make up. For now, Jamison and Green are the starting cornerbacks.

--- Freshman running back Jordan Whittington is the clear backup to Keaontay Ingram. Everybody believes Whittington is the real deal. As a result, Kirk Johnson is currently the third-string running back, while Daniel Young is a situational player.

--- Finally, I did ask about freshman Roschon Johnson. I was told the coaches are tinkering with his throwing motion, and that is why Johnson has struggled during practice. Johnson has been frustrated, but those close to him have said this is a long-term project and encouraged him to be patient. They want him to attempt simple passes with the new throwing motion during practice, even if the results are not pretty. The transformation is going to take some time.

Some Anwar Richardson practice notes. I'm skeptical of several parts, like calling Johnson and Epps fast.

I also wonder if Duvernay has been moved to slot because they think Eagles would win the Z spot in a position battle. We know the staff likes to play vets unless absolutely forced not to. If (this is a big if and not something I think will happen) Smith/Moore and Eagles are both demonstrably better than Duvernay in games then I wonder how the staff would handle it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Cook, Jamison is a bad ass.

• Like 1

It bothers me to hear Duvernay is the primary slot at the moment. I know he’s fast but unless he’s miraculously found some shiftiness, I feel like he’s been beat out of his position and being allowed to play slot because he’s a senior. Hopefully, he’ll be used situationally and the younger guys will get plenty of playing time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Slot WR is the safety blanket for the QB in this offense.  Lots of single coverage against LBs and less athletic DBs like nickels and safeties playing off coverage.  What you want there is a reliable, veteran player who you can count on to run the right route and catch the ball.  Also important for that guy to be smart in order to sight adjust to blitzes and to find the soft spots in the zone.  Duvernay is that kind of experienced, smart player.  He's supposed to have the best hands of any Texas WR.  He won't be as tough as LJH moving the pile downfield after the catch but he's a guy the staff probably trusts to convert 3rd and 5-7 yds.

At Z you need a guy fast enough to stretch the field and his hands have to be good enough to credibly threaten the defense deep.  Medium fast is good enough if the line can protect against a 4 man rush.  Herman and Co have recruited a lot of fast guys and some of them have good size as well.  Eagles may not be quick but his top end speed is enough to do that job and he seems to have good hands as well.  Lastly if Sam is still working on the accuracy of his deep ball, the bigger catch radium might help and the extra size to basically post up the defender on a back shoulder throw doesn't hurt either.

Eagles has timed extremely well in both the 40 (4.51 on a day when everyone was posting slow) and the shuttle (3.99!!) Combine that with the aforementioned catch radius and we'd be foolish not to threaten the defense with that. 

He didn't really play to those numbers in HS and he was hurt his senior year, but maybe they've tapped into some of that.

Edited by Atticus

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Hide contents

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with Cook, Jamison is a bad ass.

I'd be really, really surprised if Cook isn't starting by LSU (suspended for the first half and I could see Orlando saying fuck it, stick with the continuity for the 2nd half.) No knock to Jamison, Cook is the better field corner option imo. If he's not starting week 2, it's definitely something off the field. 

Jake Smith won't be the starter anytime soon, and that's ok. All reports are that he's a little raw in routes and is still learning the offense. He'll get playing time in sub packages like Jamison did last year. I suspect he'll be used more since he's a dynamic weapon offensively. 

Duvernay in the slot makes sense to me. Speedy reciever with great hands and an understanding (with experience) in this offense. No, agility isn't the same as Smith but I still think going with the guy Sam's already built chemistry with (albeit, not the greatest) is the smarter choice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

What the fuck is that, and why did you post it? Don’t link, it’ll just add clicks, moron. 

It's some satire shit site, here's an archive link to not give clicks. Maybe I just don't fuck with twitter enough, but how is this garbage on the Texas replies? Can't they just delete it?

http://archive.is/L3Ay3

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Usage (targets, designed plays) rather than just the type of player.

I get it, but it would be nice to have someone a little more electric on the field. Maybe we don’t have a Rondale or Waddle type on the team but given this staff’s history, they may not play him much as a freshman if we did.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

it would be nice to have someone a little more electric on the field

This will be Whit. Later in the summer we'll see him motioning out of the backfield into 4 and 5 wide sets. In combination with situational Smith, we should have a "rondale type", or at least the explosive play type guy on the field 2 of 3 snaps. 

That said, I'm pretty damn excited to get Eagles on the field. I would almost always put a tall, sure handed, speed guy on the field than a small, quick, shake and bake guy. If Eagles 4.5 is viable and he understands his role in the offense, it will be a special season. Also, Josh Moore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'd be really, really surprised if Cook isn't starting by LSU (suspended for the first half and I could see Orlando saying fuck it, stick with the continuity for the 2nd half.) No knock to Jamison, Cook is the better field corner option imo. If he's not starting week 2, it's definitely something off the field. 

Cook is a very good cover corner, has great technique, but lacks elite athleticism which he makes up for with okay size and length.  Jamison is a very good cover corner that has elite athleticism but lacks good height and length.  They played at the same highschool and 7 on 7 team.  If you've watched them play, you'd know that Jamison was every bit as good if not better in many of the games.  I think you're reading too much into this.  The coaches are going to play the hot hand.  We're going to see all 3 CBs rotate quite a bit.  This is good and will only make Cook step up his game more.  It's an open competition and if Jamison wins, it means he's playing lights out.  The kid was a highly rated recruited with big time P5 offers.  

• Like 6

Nothing says summer like overanalyzing the second practice's depth chart!

• Like 4

Devin Duvernay is a perfectly cromulent option at slot. The slot plays off the LOS, so a physical nickel or LB can't get a face-to-face jam on him at the snap. When the ball is snapped, Devin's going to be sprinting unimpeded. This is important, because he's essentially racing the pass rush. If he gets downfield faster than the defense can get to the QB, then he's almost always going to be 1 on 1 with a deep safety. Here's the ugly secret - if the deep safety's initial cut is to cover, Devin fades to the outside. If he initially cuts to support, Devin bends inside. Either way, if Sam and Devin see the same thing, the safety is helpless.

The key here is "racing the pass rush". Last season, even as fast as Devin is, the OL couldn't reliably hold up against a pass rush long enough to spring him. This limited everything. LJH rode to our rescue by being a tough matchup who could win contested balls in traffic.  The slot in our offense shouldn't be doing that, but thank Bevo he was there to do it. The lack of downfield threat (primarily caused by not-quite-good-enough pass protection) kept the defenders close to the LOS. Any time Ingram broke through the line on a run, he was sure to find 3 more defenders waiting for him within 7 yards. The compact nature of our offense simply prevented any long gains.

Right now, the Texas WR room has an embarrassment of riches. Not only talent, but diverse talent. Speed. Size. Catch radius, etc, it's all there. If Herb Hand does his job, the receivers will get their time in the press conferences.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Cook is a very good cover corner, has great technique, but lacks elite athleticism which he makes up for with okay size and length.  Jamison is a very good cover corner that has elite athleticism but lacks good height and length.  They played at the same highschool and 7 on 7 team.  If you've watched them play, you'd know that Jamison was every bit as good if not better in many of the games.  I think you're reading too much into this.  The coaches are going to play the hot hand.  We're going to see all 3 CBs rotate quite a bit.  This is good and will only make Cook step up his game more.  It's an open competition and if Jamison wins, it means he's playing lights out.  The kid was a highly rated recruited with big time P5 offers.  

Didn't believe your athleticism arguement (or at least the degree to which you assert it) so I went to look at sparq scores between the 2. Holy shit. I knew was known for being more technically sound out of the 3 but didn't realize the disparity. I'd still take Cook now tho. 

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nothing says summer like overanalyzing the second practice's depth chart!

Fuck you don't judge me!

• Like 1

. If he's not starting week 2, it's definitely something off the field. 

This is a truly ridiculous statement. We have three young, super talented outside CBs.

if Cook isn’t starting, it likely means we have 3 really good options at outside CB, and it will be a really good sign for the defense.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Cook hurt his hamstring in March.  Cook will also miss the 1st half of the LaTech game due to targeting penalty in 4th quarter of Sugar Bowl.  Makes sense to get Jamison a lot more reps at CB this summer to get him ready for this season since D'Shawn played WR in 2018.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-spring-practice-CB-Anthony-Cook-hamstring-injury-Jalen-Green-Kobe-Boyce-130164334/

Josh Moore and Whittington should get plenty of opportunities in the slot as well, but we cannot telegraph our intentions with Duvernay by only putting him in for deep routes. 

For the corners, reading between the lines, it seems like Jamison has the athleticism and aggressiveness that the coaches are looking for. I would be surprised if his technique is as solid as Cook's given his stint at WR last year, but he is obviously polished enough to be considered for the starting role. 

Things will play themselves out over the coming weeks and I trust Orlando and Herman to make the right personnel decisions. 

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I get it, but it would be nice to have someone a little more electric on the field. Maybe we don’t have a Rondale or Waddle type on the team but given this staff’s history, they may not play him much as a freshman if we did.

He's plenty electric for me. Dude was one of the only bright spots in that Maryland debacle. 

14 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Josh Moore and Whittington should get plenty of opportunities in the slot as well, but we cannot telegraph our intentions with Duvernay by only putting him in for deep routes. 

For the corners, reading between the lines, it seems like Jamison has the athleticism and aggressiveness that the coaches are looking for. I would be surprised if his technique is as solid as Cook's given his stint at WR last year, but he is obviously polished enough to be considered for the starting role. 

Things will play themselves out over the coming weeks and I trust Orlando and Herman to make the right personnel decisions. 

As long as it's not the "Jamison is in, here comes the jet sweep" shit. I agree, let all the receivers run the full route tree. 

36 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Expect to see a lot of Jake Smith as well.

• Like 1

It was the 4th day of practice and from this page alone there's been Duvernay getting beat out of his job (on the 4th day of practice) so Herman moved him inside so a Senior could see playing time, and Anthony Cook likely has off-the-field issues now (first any of us has heard of a problem) because apparently Jamison, the other highly-touted 4-star athlete, can't be better than him.

It's week 1, Herman is tinkering. He used Collin in the slot, why not ask whether Epps beat him out too? We won't know shit about shit until the end of next week at the earliest. Just like last year, Calvin Anderson was a waste of a roster spot and a joke of a talent from a joke of a conference by day 4.

• Like 7

It sounds like they’re abiding by the philosophy Orlando uses with the LB’s. Get your 3 best WR’s on the field. The gap between Duv and the next  best slot is much greater than it is between Duv and Eagles on the outside.

I always thought of Duv as a slot and was surprised he didn’t play there. In fact, I always wondered why he and LJ didn’t swap positions.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

It's week 1, Herman is tinkering. He used Collin in the slot, why not ask whether Epps beat him out too? We won't know shit about shit until the end of next week at the earliest. Just like last year, Calvin Anderson was a waste of a roster spot and a joke of a talent from a joke of a conference by day 4.

Trying to keep this in mind when I read reports of Denzel Okafor at RT. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

It bothers me to hear Duvernay is the primary slot at the moment. I know he’s fast but unless he’s miraculously found some shiftiness, I feel like he’s been beat out of his position and being allowed to play slot because he’s a senior. Hopefully, he’ll be used situationally and the younger guys will get plenty of playing time.

Or it could be that Eagles is much better than any slot we have, so moving Duvernay inside gets the 3 best WRs on the field. i will tell you it took all of 1 catch be Eagles last year for anyone to see he was a different type of athlete than the other WRs.

Edited by HtownHorn

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I always thought of Duv as a slot and was surprised he didn’t play there. In fact, I always wondered why he and LJ didn’t swap positions.

Because LJ is a 4.8 and Duv is (self-proclaimed) a 4.3. He was put on the outside to burn DBs who left him 1 on 1. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Trying to keep this in mind when I read reports of Denzel Okafor at RT. 

I'm more confident than ever in the O line. Year two with this dude, we gonna regularly push mother fuckers around like Auburn did when he was there.

win.jpg 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a truly ridiculous statement. We have three young, super talented outside CBs.

if Cook isn’t starting, it likely means we have 3 really good options at outside CB, and it will be a really good sign for the defense.

Pardon me sir but you can go fellate a peafowl. This is the football board. Ridiculous statements are the only ones accepted. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

It was the 4th day of practice and from this page alone there's been Duvernay getting beat out of his job (on the 4th day of practice) so Herman moved him inside so a Senior could see playing time, and Anthony Cook likely has off-the-field issues now (first any of us has heard of a problem) because apparently Jamison, the other highly-touted 4-star athlete, can't be better than him.

This.  And S. Austin's mom is still a sloot.  So basically, same ol shit.