2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

Here’s what Gabe from TFB has to say about Duvernay’s move to slot.

Spoiler

FB Short | The Dude Inside

– Gabriel

How are y’all doing!? Isn’t it a great feeling, Texas Football is in Fall Camp! With that comes interesting news about position changes. None other should interest you more than Devin Duvernay inside. I’ll give you time to cool off. If you follow me on Twitter you know that this is a prayer of mine and it being answered is Tom-sent, or whoever’s easy decision it is. Losing Humphrey leaves a huge hole in the offense. Instead of inserting an inexperienced player, why not one of the most physical, sure-handed, and fastest players on the roster, no-brainer. A couple questions you may have are, how this move effects scheme and who replaces Duvernay outside? That’s what we’re here to discuss.

First off, as mentioned above, Devin punches above his weight, he’s very fast, and last season, doesn’t drop passes. What he brings is effective blocking coming from the inside up to linebackers or safeties, that’s very important because Herman & Hand want to run the rock, good blocking in the alley will lead to bigger plays. Now, his speed, perhaps the most interesting aspect of moving The Dude inside. To scorch these quarters-heavy defenses, there’s no better route than the Seam-Read. Now, whether they run that particular ‘Choice Route’ or not is secondary. Defenses have to line up a Nickel and or safety over one of the fastest receivers in the league, creating issues for coverage because you can’t always bracket him with two. Why? I’m glad you asked! It’s because Collin freakin’ Johnson is on the other side of the field, sometimes the same side, yikes! Bracketing both means you have seven vs nine underneath, good luck with that. As you know, since you read here, Herman’s baby, 3-Level passing is also a big deal because the inside man either runs a Post, Corner, or a Switch Vertical (Wheel), that’s enough to set your hair on fire, and here’s the kicker. Outside of Devin you could see John Burt again. Stop imagining DB’s shaking in their boots for minute. This is just ridiculous wouldn’t you say? Add in 3 or 4-Verticals to the mix with a QB Draw option, just stupid. If this offense doesn’t explode, fire them all (LOL)! Now, are you excited about this switch?

58 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Trying to keep this in mind when I read reports of Denzel Okafor at RT. 

This one annoys me for sure. I feel like if he hasn't learned to move his damn feet in pass pro by now he sure ain't gonna learn it, but I'll trust some Herb Hand instruction. Same as the rest though, we'll know pretty soon whether he blew his last offseason to become a tackle or not.

5 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

It bothers me to hear Duvernay is the primary slot at the moment. I know he’s fast but unless he’s miraculously found some shiftiness, I feel like he’s been beat out of his position and being allowed to play slot because he’s a senior. Hopefully, he’ll be used situationally and the younger guys will get plenty of playing time.

It is early in fall camp to be concerned about such things. It's not uncommon for the coaches to tinker with positions like Duvernay at slot, or as others are mentioning Jamison starting vs Cook. I could also see Duvernay rotating in at slot along with Joshua Moore and to a lesser extent Jake Smith during the season. Or by the same token, Herman may well decide Duvernay at slot was an idea that didn't pan out.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

I'm more confident than ever in the O line. Year two with this dude, we gonna regularly push mother fuckers around like Auburn did when he was there.

When Hand left Auburn, many of their fans were glad to see him go. Not saying he's bad, but that his success, or lack thereof, at Auburn was not a unanimous sentiment.

Herb Hand Leaving for Texas

Herb Hand leaving Auburn for Texas - SECRANT.com

Herb Hand leaving Auburn for Texas - 247sports

Lots of different takes in the comments for those links. Time will tell. Also, success or failure at any given stop for a coach can be different for whatever reasons. Manny Diaz seems to have been OK everywhere except Texas. One gripe some Auburn fans made were his recruiting abilities. Seems to be doing fine at Texas so far in that regard.

14 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

When Hand left Auburn, many of their fans were glad to see him go. Not saying he's bad, but that his success, or lack thereof, at Auburn was not a unanimous sentiment.

Lots of different takes in the comments for those links. Time will tell. Also, success or failure at any given stop for a coach can be different for whatever reasons. Manny Diaz seems to have been OK everywhere except Texas. One gripe some Auburn fans made were his recruiting abilities. Seems to be doing fine at Texas so far in that regard.

Ywah, it’s definitely an interesting point to consider. Even though, everything’s coming up sunshine with Hand so far, I think we need one more full year to have a better idea of exactly what we have with him. 

In response to the links you posted though,

1. Auburn fans are dumbasses. Their OL was not their biggest issue by any stretch, and if anything it got worse after he left.

2. Most casual fans don’t know enough to really evaluate the performance of an OL coach. 

3. He’s had quite a bit of success at a lot of his stops throughout his career, so Auburn is just one data point. And I consider his coaching at Auburn to be pretty good. If he has an issue, it’s probably that he tends to struggle with pass protection to a degree, in part because he had too many tweeners at OT at Auburn and also because he seems to prioritize his run block schemes with his limited practice time. However, Stidham is not a smart QB and he was very slow to make reads and get the ball out. He tends to hold the ball way too long, so at least some of the sack numbers at Auburn can be attributed to QB play.

4. so far, he’s certainly been recruiting well. It will take 2-3 more years to determine the strength of his evals on he OL since we’re finally at a healthy point where most OL won’t play for their first two years. 

I’m not saying Hand is flawless, but his resume indicates he’s extremely good at coaching the run game and he’s a plus coach overall. His recruiting has been great so far at UT and hopefully his evals will match. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

This is the narrative with 95% of coaches that bail to another team. Getting an unbiased opinion from a fanbase that just lost a coach never happens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

lulz they were "glad to see him go" once he decided to leave huh? 

2016 (8-5)

173/game

5.5/attempt

2017 (10-4)

161/game

4.8/attempt

_____________HAND LEAVES_____________

2018 (8-5)

128/game

4.3/attempt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

He's plenty electric for me. Dude was one of the only bright spots in that Maryland debacle. 

Hide contents

Every single highlight is straight line speed produced. That’s not the electricity I’m referring to.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Never seen lightning move in a straight line.

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

1. Auburn fans are dumbasses. Their OL was not their biggest issue by any stretch, and if anything it got worse after he left.

2. Most casual fans don’t know enough to really evaluate the performance of an OL coach. 

3. He’s had quite a bit of success at a lot of his stops throughout his career, so Auburn is just one data point. And I consider his coaching at Auburn to be pretty good. If he has an issue, it’s probably that he tends to struggle with pass protection to a degree, in part because he had too many tweeners at OT at Auburn and also because he seems to prioritize his run block schemes with his limited practice time. However, Stidham is not a smart QB and he was very slow to make reads and get the ball out. He tends to hold the ball way too long, so at least some of the sack numbers at Auburn can be attributed to QB play.

4. so far, he’s certainly been recruiting well. It will take 2-3 more years to determine the strength of his evals on he OL since we’re finally at a healthy point where most OL won’t play for their first two years. 

I’m not saying Hand is flawless, but his resume indicates he’s extremely good at coaching the run game and he’s a plus coach overall. His recruiting has been great so far at UT and hopefully his evals will match. 

I don't disagree with your points, and in particular, your closing point is salient. I come from the camp of "trust but verify". Reading fan comments requires copious doses of salt and simplistic knee-jerk reactions abound. But as you say, there could be some flaws that need ironing out. This is Hand's second season. I'm simply cautious in my estimation until time and performance proves Hand's true worth at Texas. And Herman as the HC may well temper and guide him to better performance at Texas as well. A good executive knows how to get the best from his charges.

45 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I don't disagree with your points, and in particular, your closing point is salient. I come from the camp of "trust but verify". Reading fan comments requires copious doses of salt and simplistic knee-jerk reactions abound. But as you say, there could be some flaws that need ironing out. This is Hand's second season. I'm simply cautious in my estimation until time and performance proves Hand's true worth at Texas. And Herman as the HC may well temper and guide him to better performance at Texas as well. A good executive knows how to get the best from his charges.

We didn't exactly have a tall bar when he got here.  Perspective people.  Our OL was warmed over cat shit for far too long.  Anyone not seeing the significant improvement isn't paying attention.  It's a huge step in the direction we need to be headed towards and we're up out of the ditch and back on the road.  We can thank Hand for this.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We didn't exactly have a tall bar when he got here.  Perspective people.  Our OL was warmed over cat shit for far too long.  Anyone not seeing the significant improvement isn't paying attention.  It's a huge step in the direction we need to be headed towards and we're up out of the ditch and back on the road.  We can thank Hand for this.  

The OL was almost certainly going to be better in year 2 of Herman than 1 with or without Hand. The line was riddled with injuries in year 1 and no good option for LT once Connor Williams went down. Kerstetter came in undersized and did the best he could. Cosmi redshirted. Year 2 Cosmi comes in at RT with a year of Yancy enhancement, and yes Hand coaching in fall camp. Kertstetter battle tested if not great and also physically more capable. Elijah Rodriguez a senior and finally healthy, Vahe and GT Calvin Anderson. Just by virtue of personnel alone the OL was likely going to be better. That's not to say Hand's coaching wasn't a factor, but to put it another way, how much better would 2017 have been with Hand as the coach instead of Warehime? One can only speculate but I'm having a hard time seeing any OL coach being able to brag about results in that scenario. Added to all that it was the first season of Herman's offense being installed. Perspective indeed.

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

The OL was almost certainly going to be better in year 2 of Herman than 1 with or without Hand. The line was riddled with injuries in year 1 and no good option for LT once Connor Williams went down. Kerstetter came in undersized and did the best he could. Cosmi redshirted. Year 2 Cosmi comes in at RT with a year of Yancy enhancement, and yes Hand coaching in fall camp. Kertstetter battle tested if not great and also physically more capable. Elijah Rodriguez a senior and finally healthy, Vahe and GT Calvin Anderson. Just by virtue of personnel alone the OL was likely going to be better. That's not to say Hand's coaching wasn't a factor, but to put it another way, how much better would 2017 have been with Hand as the coach instead of Warehime? One can only speculate but I'm having a hard time seeing any OL coach being able to brag about results in that scenario. Added to all that it was the first season of Herman's offense being installed. Perspective indeed.

Most certainly.  I would bet it was going to improve for the given reasons.  I still credit Hand for his part he played as well as the direction he seems to be trending toward.  He's not "the answer", but he has played a strong role to date in getting us back on track, and for that I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Hand also recognized a problem area and fixed it by recruiting Anderson and Braun to give the young pups time to grow up.  He gets credit for that.

They were on Anderson before Hand was hired but obviously he gets credit for closing the deal.

Braun was a masterclass in grad transfer identification and recruiting.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Most certainly.  I would bet it was going to improve for the given reasons.  I still credit Hand for his part he played as well as the direction he seems to be trending toward.  He's not "the answer", but he has played a strong role to date in getting us back on track, and for that I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  

Herman felt the need to upgrade and I'm glad he did. A seasoned veteran with P5 experience should be the OL coach at Texas. But I think Warehime's contributions merit consideration given the circumstances. I for one, am glad we have Cosmi, Kerstetter and Angilau. We were really fortunate with few injuries last season, knock on wood. And maybe Hand's techniques factor in on that, who knows? If Cosmi goes down, it begs the question who steps in and is there some shuffling? I've seen Reese Moore listed as 2nd LT on one depth chart floating around, but since he hasn't been listed as one of the primary "guys", could just as easily see Kerstetter taking it, Okafor at RT and Maybe Angilau at RG? Too early to speculate I suppose. Maybe clearer by the end of August. Best case scenario is, we never find out, ha.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

I know a guy that is close friends with freshman CB Marques Caldwell’s dad. He just shared with me a video from practice (looks like someone’s Snapchat) of Marques getting a very athletic pick. I am not sure who the receiver was though. I am guessing it’s best not to post such type videos...

If it's on social media, it's public. Post it!

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I know a guy that is close friends with freshman CB Marques Caldwell’s dad. He just shared with me a video from practice (looks like someone’s Snapchat) of Marques getting a very athletic pick. I am not sure who the receiver was though. I am guessing it’s best not to post such type videos...

Does your friend's name rhyme with Mevin Macon?

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Image result for you guys know how to post videos to facebook