CFB Week 1 Games

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

Did anyone mention BYU vs Utah yet? A college rivalry game is always fun. 

This should be a good one, as it always is.  The fun part is that all of the pressure is on Utah to win and BYU is playing with house money with what will be an improved and fairly underrated team flying under the radar with one of the best underclassmen QB's in the country in Zach Wilson.  

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

BYU always seems to have grown ass men, but I still gotta lean Utes.

spacer.png

Utes have grown ass men too.  Outside of BYU and maybe Utah State, they have a ton of players serve 2 year church missions.  

3 hours ago, LTbear said:

Without looking it up, this has to be close to Utah's longest winning streak in the series.

Yeah, its about as dominant as they have been in recent memory, though all of the games but one were decided by a 1 score or less.   During the late 70s through late 90s, under LaVell Edwards BYU won something like 19 of 20 against the Utes.  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

I've been looking over local football schedules to see what games I might want to check out in person, and I'm pretty sure I will just skip week one. Bama is at Duke, which is just a ten minute drive away, but won't be competitive enough. USCe and UNC is compelling, but it's in Charlotte, and if I had wanted to spend time in a hot, steamy swamp, I would have moved to Houston, not the east coast.

No, I think I'll just wait to see App State when they visit Chapel Hill.

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've been looking over local football schedules to see what games I might want to check out in person, and I'm pretty sure I will just skip week one. Bama is at Duke, which is just a ten minute drive away, but won't be competitive enough. USCe and UNC is compelling, but it's in Charlotte, and if I had wanted to spend time in a hot, steamy swamp, I would have moved to Houston, not the east coast.

No, I think I'll just wait to see App State when they visit Chapel Hill.

Bama is playing Duke in ATL. 

The ECU @ NCSU game in Raleigh might be interesting for lunchtime.

9 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Bama is playing Duke in ATL. 

The ECU @ NCSU game in Raleigh might be interesting for lunchtime.

I shoulda known, based on Bama being SEC, that they wouldn't visit a podunk team.

Meanwhile, I've got four different FBS teams in a half hour drive, and not one of them is talking more about football than basketball. They's aliens, fer damnsure.

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sdsu/UMinn and UNI/Iowa St.

Classic fcs upset matchups right there to look out for. Dgaf if iowa states supposed to be good this yr. UNI plays them tough

I'd be lying if I said part of me wasn't absolutely fucking terrified.

UNI players/fans/coaches/alums are Hawkeye fans that couldn't handle going to the big school.  So they went to UNI, where they hang out with their high school posses, go home every weekend, and hate the ever living fuck out of ISU.

We should absolutely destroy them, but those insular pricks fucking bring it every god damn time and in true beaten dog Cyclone fashion, part of me is prepared for the worst.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

UNI players/fans/coaches/alums are Hawkeye fans that couldn't handle going to the big school.  So they went to UNI, where they hang out with their high school posses, go home every weekend, and hate the ever living fuck out of ISU.

We should absolutely destroy them, but those insular pricks fucking bring it every god damn time and in true beaten dog Cyclone fashion, part of me is prepared for the worst.

Yo glass be half-empty, bro--make that damn near all the way empty.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I shoulda known, based on Bama being SEC, that they wouldn't visit a podunk team.

Meanwhile, I've got four different FBS teams in a half hour drive, and not one of them is talking more about football than basketball. They's aliens, fer damnsure.

We volunteered at some Duke football games a few years back as a fundraiser for our kid's HS band. The long-time workers were still talking about when Bama came to Duke a few years before that. I think it was 2010? Would be interesting to see their reaction to a visit from Texas.

Yes, you are in the land of the round ball now.

As you quest for brisket in the Triangle, do NOT go to The Pit Authentic Barbecue in downtown Raleigh. I have given them two chances. Both times I got overpriced, under-portioned slices of rubbery, flavorless meat. The best (not saying much) brisket I have had here is at the original Q Shack in Durham. I believe the owner is at least from Texas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Yo glass be half-empty, bro--make that damn near all the way empty.

Realistically I think we win like 31-14.  There's always just a lurking sense of dread.  It doesn't matter how many good teams Campbell beats, it will be hiding somewhere under the surface.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My existential dread doesn't cut it for you, eh?

No you have what we call "battered Baylor syndrome" where you have had so many bad memories of losses that you can't imagine ISU doing great things. Paul Rhodes ain't walking through that door and the line is Iowa State -18.5 for a reason.

Now KU on the other hand better watch out for some Sycamores. 

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

No you have what we call "battered Baylor syndrome" where you have had so many bad memories of losses that you can't imagine ISU doing great things. Paul Rhodes ain't walking through that door and the line is Iowa State -18.5 for a reason.

Now KU on the other hand better watch out for some Sycamores. 

See, I can imagine the greatness.  I can also imagine the flip side.

I don't anticipate our game being particularly worthwhile to anyone outside the state of Iowa, which is a good thing for us.

KU is legitimately on upset alert.  They're scraping a level of suck that we haven't touched since the Big 8 existed, and we've had some pretty terrible teams since then.

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

See, I can imagine the greatness.  I can also imagine the flip side.

I don't anticipate our game being particularly worthwhile to anyone outside the state of Iowa, which is a good thing for us.

KU is legitimately on upset alert.  They're scraping a level of suck that we haven't touched since the Big 8 existed, and we've had some pretty terrible teams since then.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see any of KU, WVU, or KSU lose to their FCS opponents. I think the Big12 goes 3-0 or 2-1 in those, but I think they'll be close.

Edited by SimonBolivar

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Unless this dude is the QB, you should win easily...

aliwatn16s-1-web.jpg

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

What's your involvement or are you just there as a client/customer? 

Just there as a client/customer.  Going to hit up Stitzel-Weller, Michters, Rabbit Hole, and the Brown-Forman Cooperage the Notre Dame game is just a throw in because my buddy who lives in Louisville has an extra ticket.

Realistically I think we win like 31-14.  There's always just a lurking sense of dread.  It doesn't matter how many good teams Campbell beats, it will be hiding somewhere under the surface.
Something about ISU and their aura. Even if it's 31-14... it could be 17-14 with 11 min left in the game.

Agreed with everything you said. I just like planting that little nugget of doubt since we're in the same region