Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

44 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I haven't been to a spring game in years.  Can someone tell me what the tailgating scene is like, or if there are any?

My group is undecided on whether we want to tailgate or just get there early and do the live music http://texassports.com/news/2018/4/11/football-live-music-announced-for-orange-white-spring-game-on-saturday-april-21.aspx

It's not that hard to put on 35 lbs of muscle over the summer if you hit the gym real hard.

Unless he is absolutely juiced to the gills he isn’t adding 35 lbs of muscle in 3 months.

In fact, even on roids you aren’t adding that much muscle. You can add 35 lbs but at least half will be fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I agree in principle. I think Kyler is determined to give it a go in football. 

A lot has changed with signing bonus slotting, but the more clever teams seem to find work arounds. It'll depend on the round and the team. 

Let's say Murray goes in the second to Boston. Things could get interesting.

Kiley McDaniel said yesterday he is seeing Kyler next month; right now he is a top 5 round pick.  Pretty nebulous assessment, doesn't sound like he leaves the gooners. 

2 hours ago, gurt said:

Unless he is absolutely juiced to the gills he isn’t adding 35 lbs of muscle in 3 months.

In fact, even on roids you aren’t adding that much muscle. You can add 35 lbs but at least half will be fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's face it, anytime a new S&C coach is drastically more effective at putting muscle on the athletes it means PEDs. It doesnt matter how optimized your workouts, there is a pretty strict ceiling on muscle gain and only one way to break it. It's probably good we're going the way of Saban/Kirby, Scott Frost and Briles. Our guys are gonna kick ass.

• Fuck You 6

20 hours ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

I still remember that 2008 game at Tech where that OLineman or maybe DLineman came out with somewhat similar face paint. I remember thinking 'what a fucking idiot to come out looking like that... but this does not bode well'. 

Pretty sure that was Brandon Carter and I think he was an all American that year.

That's face it, anytime a new S&C coach is drastically more effective at putting muscle on the athletes it means PEDs. It doesnt matter how optimized your workouts, there is a pretty strict ceiling on muscle gain and only one way to break it. It's probably good we're going the way of Saban/Kirby, Scott Frost and Briles. Our guys are gonna kick ass.
Hager was well on his way this past year. Of course he's bulked up over the off season, but it's not like he was a skinny little kid last year..

If you compare his freshman pics to now and tell me that happened over a single off-season you might have a point.

IT - Thursday practice notes

By: Joe Cook

There are only a handful more practices between now and next Saturday's spring game. Head coach Tom Herman didn't have his team go full pads today, opting for shorts instead. It was a windy day at Denius Fields.

Here are a few notes.

-Chris Nelson was the only one in the green no-touch jersey. He was still with the first team line, with Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu at his side. I didn't get a great look at the rest of the first defense, but Anthony Cook was at corner opposite Kris Boyd. Herman said on Tuesday that Davante Davis rolled his foot during practice, and I didn't see him out there today. Caden Sterns was also running with the ones in place of PJ Locke.

-The second DL remained the same with Bimage - Graham - Chisholm up front. Graham is de facto first team. Demarco Boyd was at rover, with Ayodele Adeoye at mac. Jeff McCulloch worked at BLB, and JarMarquis Durst worked at nickel. Donovan Duvernay manned one corner spot, and he was joined in the defensive backfield by BJ Foster at safety.

-In order to fill in some of the holes on the defensive depth chart, I observed Jason Washington's group go through individual drills. Boyd - Cook went first, followed by Boyce - Cuffee, with Duvernay running third.

-After my brief view of the defense, I went to the offensive side of the field to watch the entire offense work on the playbook's various running plays against a scout look. Herb Hand once again was very loud in explaining the finer points of inside zone, outside zone, and other running plays. Additionally, he got on the scout team defense several times for not providing the look the offense needed to get the play right.

-Sam Ehlinger marched out with the ones, with Daniel Young and Toneil Carter rotating at RB. Collin Johnson was at X, Lil'Jordan Humphrey was in the slot, and Devin Duverany was at Z. Reese Leitao and Andrew Beck rotated at TE. The line with Ehlinger went Okafor - Vahe - Shackelford - Rodriguez - Kerstetter.

-The second team marched out, but with Casey Thompson at the helm. Shane Buechele got his chance with the ones the next time it was their turn to rep, just as Cameron Rising got his turn when the twos came up for round two. Kyle Porter joined Thompson in the backfield with a regular looking ankle brace on. Brennan Eagles worked at X, Jerrod Heard in the slot, and Davion Curtis at Z. Leitao rotated at tight end with Max Cummins. The line was Cosmi - Rison (w-o) - Rodriguez - Imade - Urquidez

-When it was time for the first team to work again, Buechele marched out in the shotgun, and John Burt replaced Duvernay. Other than that there were little changes in the first team offense, and they continued working on Texas' different running plays, with coaches throwing balls to receivers.

-Cameron Rising led the second team out for their second turn, and was protected by a line of Cosmi - Rison (w-o) - Kerstetter -Imade - Urquidez. The skill players remained the same.

-After that, the offense broke out into group work. The offensive and defensive lines met up for a drill, with tackles and guards working together against a rushing lineman. I was able to catch a rep of Cosmi working to Vahe's left to block a defender.

-The QBs and WRs worked together on what appeared to be goal line throws. However, it looked like it needed a lot more work. In the time I spent observing the drill, there were few completions. Receivers dropped balls, quarterbacks overthrew receivers, and it did not look like a crisp at all.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT - Thursday practice notes

Hide contents

By: Joe Cook

There are only a handful more practices between now and next Saturday's spring game. Head coach Tom Herman didn't have his team go full pads today, opting for shorts instead. It was a windy day at Denius Fields.

Here are a few notes.

-Chris Nelson was the only one in the green no-touch jersey. He was still with the first team line, with Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu at his side. I didn't get a great look at the rest of the first defense, but Anthony Cook was at corner opposite Kris Boyd. Herman said on Tuesday that Davante Davis rolled his foot during practice, and I didn't see him out there today. Caden Sterns was also running with the ones in place of PJ Locke.

-The second DL remained the same with Bimage - Graham - Chisholm up front. Graham is de facto first team. Demarco Boyd was at rover, with Ayodele Adeoye at mac. Jeff McCulloch worked at BLB, and JarMarquis Durst worked at nickel. Donovan Duvernay manned one corner spot, and he was joined in the defensive backfield by BJ Foster at safety.

-In order to fill in some of the holes on the defensive depth chart, I observed Jason Washington's group go through individual drills. Boyd - Cook went first, followed by Boyce - Cuffee, with Duvernay running third.

-After my brief view of the defense, I went to the offensive side of the field to watch the entire offense work on the playbook's various running plays against a scout look. Herb Hand once again was very loud in explaining the finer points of inside zone, outside zone, and other running plays. Additionally, he got on the scout team defense several times for not providing the look the offense needed to get the play right.

-Sam Ehlinger marched out with the ones, with Daniel Young and Toneil Carter rotating at RB. Collin Johnson was at X, Lil'Jordan Humphrey was in the slot, and Devin Duverany was at Z. Reese Leitao and Andrew Beck rotated at TE. The line with Ehlinger went Okafor - Vahe - Shackelford - Rodriguez - Kerstetter.

-The second team marched out, but with Casey Thompson at the helm. Shane Buechele got his chance with the ones the next time it was their turn to rep, just as Cameron Rising got his turn when the twos came up for round two. Kyle Porter joined Thompson in the backfield with a regular looking ankle brace on. Brennan Eagles worked at X, Jerrod Heard in the slot, and Davion Curtis at Z. Leitao rotated at tight end with Max Cummins. The line was Cosmi - Rison (w-o) - Rodriguez - Imade - Urquidez

-When it was time for the first team to work again, Buechele marched out in the shotgun, and John Burt replaced Duvernay. Other than that there were little changes in the first team offense, and they continued working on Texas' different running plays, with coaches throwing balls to receivers.

-Cameron Rising led the second team out for their second turn, and was protected by a line of Cosmi - Rison (w-o) - Kerstetter -Imade - Urquidez. The skill players remained the same.

-After that, the offense broke out into group work. The offensive and defensive lines met up for a drill, with tackles and guards working together against a rushing lineman. I was able to catch a rep of Cosmi working to Vahe's left to block a defender.

-The QBs and WRs worked together on what appeared to be goal line throws. However, it looked like it needed a lot more work. In the time I spent observing the drill, there were few completions. Receivers dropped balls, quarterbacks overthrew receivers, and it did not look like a crisp at all.

"However, it looked like it needed a lot more work. In the time I spent observing the drill, there were few completions. Receivers dropped balls, quarterbacks overthrew receivers, and it did not look like a crisp at all."

Sounds like a Tim Beck-coached offense. 

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

I was enjoying this video until I noticed that guy's ears.

Are you kidding?   I guarantee that guy has slayed more strange than you've ever dreamed of.  Some of the absolute coolest people I've ever known have some sorta odd features yet they are unfazed by it.  You sound like a total douche.  Exactly how old are you?  If you're still in high school disregard.  And, oh yeah, OU does sucks. 

• Fuck You 4

8 hours ago, stork642 said:

Are you kidding?   I guarantee that guy has slayed more strange than you've ever dreamed of.  Some of the absolute coolest people I've ever known have some sorta odd features yet they are unfazed by it.  You sound like a total douche.  Exactly how old are you?  If you're still in high school disregard.  And, oh yeah, OU does sucks. 

Hurts when they poke you in the chest, doesn't it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stork642 said:

Sorry about whatever deformity you’ve been dealing with your entire life. We’ll try to be more sensitive.

dr-evil-crying1.gif

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

OB War Room:

Let us get to the most important news first. 

- Texas offensive lineman Patrick Hudson and running back Kyle Porter were back at practice on Thursday. Porter participated in the team and individual portion of practice. Porter did not show any side effects from his ankle injury. He looked the same during practice, and from what I could tell, he did not have any restrictions. 

Meanwhile, Hudson had his shoulder pads on, but stood on the sidelines with his helmet during practice. Typically, Hudson works with trainers during practice, but it appears he is getting closer to seeing the field soon. 

In addition, defensive lineman Chris Nelson wore a green non-contact jersey during practice. 

- The one thing that stood out most during practice was seeing Herb Hand get in everybody’s ass when the first-team offense faced Texas’ second-team defense. 

From the sidelines, it was sometimes hard to tell who Hand was screaming at. That being said, he was fired up at his offensive line at times, the defense, and anybody who was not following his instructions. You could tell Hand has the mentality of most offensive coaches who are not opposed to getting on their players if necessary. 

At one point, Hand was screaming at his offensive lineman, and he was right next to receiver Brennan Eagles, who was caught in the crossfire. Eagles started to restrain Hand, but quickly let the coach go and do this thing. 

- The development of Charles Omenihu has been a great offseason story for Texas. 

Omenihu looks like a future NFL pick during practice. He has the size and weight. More importantly, it appears Omenihu is beginning to put it all together. 

During one-on-one drills against J.P. Urquidez, Omenihu’s strength was on full display. Omenihu tossed Urquidez to the ground with ease and got into the backfield. He is starting to look the part of a potential impact player. 

In addition, Ta’Quon Graham easily beat the offensive lineman he was matched up against. That play occurred as media members were near the gate and walking out of practice. Graham definitely looks like a guy is living up to the hype from his teammates and coaches. 

- There were three new signs up at the practice field on Thursday. The word “finish” was in both end zones, while “develop was hanging near the 50-yard line. 

- Thursday’s practice was definitely one of the warmer ones this spring. It was 85 degrees outside during practice, with a slight breeze. You could tell this was one of those practices Texas football coach Tom Herman loves because he gets to see how his guys react in different situations. From the part of practice we were allowed to watch, the heat did not have a major impact on the players. 

- Texas defensive back Kobe Boyce was participating in a shuffle and break drill through two chutes when he hit his head on the second one. Longhorns cornerbacks coach Jason Washington made Boyce do the drill again because his defensive back did not stay low. During Boyce’s second attempt, he nailed it. 

- One guy Washington praised heavily during chute drills was Chase Moore. He had great footwork, and Washington was very pleased. 

- During a tackling drill with cornerbacks, Boyce had to attack Kris Boyd. This was not a full-contact drill, but teaching players where the strike zone was, and how to properly execute a takedown. As soon as Boyce made contact with Boyd, the senior instantly told the freshman he needed to get low. Washington said the exact same thing. It was a great display of Boyd’s leadership. 

- Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton works his guys on the sidelines, and the most impressive thing I saw was a great-stiff arm by Toneil Carter. Drayton did not want to his guys to break stride, and praised Carter for creating distance between him and the defender. 

- Longhorn receiver Collin Johnson made one dynamic catch after another. Most of those catches were against air, but no matter where each quarterback threw the ball, Johnson went up and grabbed the ball and kept his feet inbounds. 

- Speaking of footwork, Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele showed a lot of great footwork during quarterback keeper drills. Each quarterback got up the field quickly without any hesitation. Both quarterbacks displayed pretty good speed during that portion of practice. 

- There was no music played at practice on Thursday. The hip-hop music was blasting on Tuesday, but Herman likes to mix things up. This was one of those days.

(From Alex Dunlap) 

Here are a few notes from the open media-availability portion of Thursday's football practice:

- Shorts and shoulder pads practice, less contact of course, but we still got to see some competitive and physical reps. 

- It was a lightly attended practice outside of players and staff. The only notable visitor was again Colt McCoy. CB Eric Cuffee's dad was also in attendance. Pretty light day for program visitors. Another lighter note from an atmosphere-perspective were new signs up on the scoreboards and period boards reading "Finish" and "Develop." 

- DB Caden Sterns is going to find his way onto the field regardless of whether or not his role as a "starter" - at least in the lightning sub-package - goes away once PJ Locke returns from stinger injury (which I'm not sure will even be the case). Sterns already looks like one of the best punt-team gunners on the roster. 

- A big note here. Speaking of the starting DBs, the youth movement continues as FR CB Anthony Cook took over starting duties Thursday in place of the injured Davante Davis opposite Kris Boyd. In the "lightning" dime-package, that meant the secondary personnel was Cook and Boyd at the corners, Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns at the safeties, Chris Brown at the nickel and John Bonney as the joker box-safety. 

- One more note on Anthony Cook: I was lukewarm on his Army All-American practice reps, but he's a guy who's taken exceptionally well to college coaching. He was running with Kris Boyd in the backpedal-chute t-step drills and he was moving just as quickly through the chute as Boyd was. I noticed on one rep he lost his footing before getting into his t-step so DBs coach Jason Washington took him aside for some advice and had him re-run the drill, which Cook executed to perfection. Little by little, Cook's crazy-high prospect pedigree is coming into focus on the college practice field. 

- Another interesting and definitely big note to watch: WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey has seemingly moved from the No. 2 X WR to taking starting reps in the slot. This means a starting unit of Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Devin Duvernay. That's dirty. If the staff can just get Andrew Beck off the field when he's split out wide in "4 WR" personnel and replace him with Jerrod Heard, then we'll be cooking with peanut oil. Regardless, seeing LJH and Johnson on the field next to one another feels very sick. It's like the twin towers in deciding which one you want to deal with and then you also have Devin to take the top off the defense from the Z position. 

- Speaking of WRs, RS FR Jordan Pouncey returned to practice on Thursday. Pouncey had been having a terrific spring before suffering his recent setback. The WR room is the best it has been at Texas in the last decade and maybe more. It's time to get some production from it. 

- As for the offensive line, a few notes: 1) SO OG Patrick Hudson wasn't really "back" today from his 2017 injury as hoped for by Tom Herman, although he was kinda 
back. He was out with the team for much longer than he normally has been, but did not fill in, even with the second-group, during 3/4 speed team drills. There's no way he'll play in the spring game but barring setbacks this means he'll be rearing to go come summer; and 2) Another day, another set of reps with Derek Kerstetter at center with the twos. It's now official that Kerstetter is being cross-trained, meaning there are now at least three players with C/OG versatility between him, Zach Shackelford and Elijah Rodriguez. 

- ... and Zach Shackelford had a tough practice himself. It was a new 1v1 drill today that I hadn't ever seen before, and once again, OL coach Herb Hand seems to have picked his drills based on things I complained about last season. He's the best OL coach I've seen at Texas. Today, it was OL vs. DL outside-zone solo-base reach-block technique versus upfield DL penetration. It was clear that the goal of the period for the offense was to generate movement off the line of scrimmage at an outside-zone angle, reach to the defender's outside half, and either drive him off his spot at the outside-zone angle and if not, at least get the inside hand into the inside armpit of the defender and run him off laterally. The goal of the defense was to penetrate upfield against the solo-base assignment and screw up the zone lane. If I was running practice, I would call it the Zach Shackelford drill as it's the one I'd want to run with him over and over based on what we've seen on tape over the last two seasons. 

- So, finally, here is a list of notes I took versus this 1v1 period:

LT Denzel Okafor beats DL Ta'Quon Graham but was pretty 'grabby' in the process; it bordered on being too close to holding

LG Patrick Vahe beats Graham but also was a little bits handsy himslef and was told to keep his paws inside by Herb Hand. Graham isn't easy to handle

DL Jamari Chisolm easily whoops Vahe who didn't keep his feet and went to the ground 

Chisolm barely beats C Zach Shackelford because it was a stalemate where Shack couldn't generate even a half a yard of movement off the line

Chisolm whoops Shack's ass as Shackelford does what he does in his worst moments in outside zone, letting the defender earhole him and move him backwards

On the next rep, DL D'Andre Christmas did the same thing to Shack and Herb Hand grabbed Shackelford and called for a "NEW CENTER!!!" 

Christmas beats Rodriguez

DL Gerald Wilbon beats Rodriguez

Rodriguez beats Wilbon by generating a little bit of movement at his angle of the line 

DE Breckyn Hager wins versus RT Derek Kerstetter, Hager's upfield explosion is too much for Kerstetter to handle while engaged and moving laterally

Hager beats Kerstetter again

DE Marquez Bimage beats Kerstetter in ways very similar to Hager (and as an aside, I was standing right behind these drills and couldn't believe how much Bimage has developed through his lower body. He already has as thick a lower body as Naashon Hughes did as a senior). 

Chisolm beats OT JP Urquidez

DE Charles Omenihu rag-dolls and tosses aside Urquidez

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 2

TFB team notes: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-13th-15th/

Team Quick Hitters: Spoke with a couple sources about this week’s practices…

*Am told starting CB, Davante Davis is dinged up right now. In his place, freshman CB Anthony Cook has been taking the first team reps. How is he looking?

*Was told by both sources that Cook looks fantastic. Both sources raved about him. Cook has excellent football strength for a young guy. He does well with his technique within the calls. He’s physical. And I’m told he’s extremely competitive.

*I’m told starting nickel back, Josh Thompson has been dinged up as well. Interestingly, senior walk-on, Jamarquis Durst has been taking some snaps there with the first team. Am told he’s actually a pretty solid player. Maybe not an NFL draft pick but a good player nonetheless.

*Also, asked about the quarterback progression. Cam Risings name came up. Am told he is really improving. Was told “he had some exceptional throws in the most recent practices…getting better and better”. One source noted that Cam could be that big guy who gives Texas more than just a scrambler or a zone read QB…he could give them a true passing game.

*But was also told, it’s too early to tell what will happen and that the real test for these guys will come in the Spring Game.

*Either way, the fact that there is competition should be music to Texas fans’ ears.

*Also, of note, like Ehlinger, it sounds like Rising is a good leader. He’s apparently well liked on the team. I know based on conversations I’ve had in the past with some sources, those intangibles are something Herman and co. care a lot about. – (Super K)

Spring Practice Notes | April 12th Practice

1s…
QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Daniel Young
X: Collin Johnson
Y: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Z: Devin Duvernay
TE: Andrew Beck
OL: Denzel Okafor – Patrick Vahe – Zach Shackelford – Elijah Rodriguez – Derek Kerstetter

DL: Breckyn Hager – Taquon Graham – Charles Omenihu
BLB: Jeffrey McCulloch
RLB: Malcolm Roach
MLB: Anthony Wheeler
SS: Josh Thompson, John Bonney
CB: Kris Boyd, Davante Davis
BS: Caden Sterns
FS: Brandon Jones

2s / 3s…
QB: Shane Buechele/Casey Thompson/Cam Rising
RB: Toneil Carter/Kyle Porter
X: Brennan Eagles
Y: Jerrod Heard / Jordan Pouncey
Z: John Burt/Davion Curtis
TE: Reese Leitao
OL: Samuel Cosmi – Walk-On – Elijah Rodriguez – Tope Imade – JP Urquidez

DL: Marquez Bimage – Gerald Wilbon – Jamari Chisholm/ D’Andre Christmas
BLB: Jeffrey McCulloch / Kyle Hrncir (what a last name)
RLB: Ayodele Adeoye
MLB: Jeffrey McCulloch / Demarco Boyd
SS: Chris Brown, Jamarquist Durst
CB: Anthony Cook, Kobe Boyce / Eric Cuffee, Donovan Duvernay
BS: walk-on
FS: BJ Foster

NOTES

Injuries:
– RB Tristian Houston
– RB Kirk Johnson
– RB Cameron Townsend
– WR Jordan Pouncey
– TE Cade Brewer
– OG Mikey Grandy
– OG Patrick Hudson
– DT Chris Nelson (Green Jersey)
– DE Andrew Fitzgerald
– LB Gary Johnson
– LB Edwin Freeman
– DB Montrell Estell
– DB PJ Locke

Take Aways:
– Today the team practiced in shorts. Anthony Wheeler told us Tom Herman said they deserved this day after this week of practice.

– Patrick Hudson and Kyle Porter are back but we’re doing individual drills. Slowly working them back in.

– So as you can see up top, Lil’Jordan Humphrey has been moved to the slot. When this staff says they want to get all of their talent on the field at once they find ways to do it again and again. Collin Johnson has too much potential to take off the field and Lil’Jordan Humphrey is a beast. Now you have some shakey depth at slot and X-WR instead of good depth at X and no depth at slot.

– We got a taste of just how “vocal” Herb Hand really is, as the media watched mouth agape while he cursed out the scout team defense (made up of back-ups and walk-ons) for not running the blitz scheme with enough effort.

– Toneil Carter and Daniel Young split reps with the 1s. Both have some big run ability. I imagine there is a lot of give and take between the offense and defense in the run game.

– PJ Locke is out with the stinger he sustained during practice last weekend. In his place in the Lightning package is freshman Caden Sterns who seems to be settling in well to his new spot.

– Breckyn Hager split a few double teams during OL vs DL drills. He’s going to be good.

– Jordan Pouncey is back on field with an ankle brace.

– Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger were splitting reps with the 1s. Same old story. Sam runs the offense better, but has a tendency to miss his targets. He’s still too erratic with his passes to make the plays I know he wants to. Shane is deadly accurate on most throws, but he doesn’t run the offense with quite the same effectiveness.

– I’ll be interested in seeing the freshmen QBs during the Spring Game because while they look good in practice against nobody, I don’t think they’ll shine quite as bright when bullet fly. Casey Thompson has some ability to escape a pocket though.

– There is a lot of motion in this offense. Looks like Herb Hand has gotten ahold of the playbook.

– Joshua Rowland ended practice by nailing a 35-40 yard field goal. – (Will)

The one thing that stood out most during practice was seeing Herb Hand get in everybody’s ass when the first-team offense faced Texas’ second-team defense. 

'Seeing Hand in everybody's ass'!

Gold, Jerry, Gold

That's the sort of Freudian shit it is hard to pull off with fake reports.

36 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

So basically our o-line is shit.

No, our D line is the best in the conference. 

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

TFB team notes: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-13th-15th/

Hide contents

– There is a lot of motion in this offense. Looks like Herb Hand has gotten ahold of the playbook.

Thank Jesus