Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

IT team notes

By: Pat Culpepper

We've reached the penultimate weekend of spring football and it will be a quiet one on the 40 Acres. Coaches and players alike will be allowed to leave campus. Likewise, recruiting will also be quiet. We don't expect any visitors, though you can never entirely rule that out.

It's a great weekend to 'go dark' for the staff and team. A&M and OU are hosting a number of visitors and holding their spring games. There's no point in competing with that. In past weekends the team has scrimmaged, but this is a good time to allow the team some rest.

So far we've seen very few injuries. As far as we know Gary Johnson's groin is the biggest concern. In typical GJ fashion, he sees the bright side -- that he didn't require surgery. He'll be back in July and is telling people, "I'll be there when it matters."

PJ Locke's scare, either a stinger or concussion, was a reminder to the staff there's a long way to go until August. Since then they've pulled the reins in some. Still, some minor injuries are beginning to add up.

Davante Davis rolled his ankle on Tuesday. In his place was Anthony Cook. As we reported Cook would be CB3 if anything happened to Davis or Boyd. On Thursday Cook tweaked his hamstring. We're still checking on severity but anyone who follows sports know how fickle hamstrings can be.

Josh Thompson has been wearing green of late. We believe that's due to lingering effects of a stinger. Because he's young I don't want to overstate his upside, but he's a blur who throws his body around. He'll make some mental mistakes of course, but he has real NFL athletic traits and mental disposition.

ON THE RISE

I asked for some specific names of players having big, status solidifying camps. These are the players most frequently mentioned. If a player wasn't mentioned, it doesn't mean they're leaving, they suck, or anything like that.

Obviously we've heard a ton regarding Charles Omenihu and Breckyn Hager, but they're very well known.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey: He's too good to keep off the field so he's running #1 in the slot. Herman originally had him behind Collin Johnson but this move was predicted. I mentioned LJH having a good camp and heard back, "he's not one of the best receivers on the team, he's one of the best players." He's really come on of late. The staff is starting to get more creative with him. Yesterday he was motioning to the back-field to either block for the quarterback sweep or take direct snaps. He was gaining yardage too.

Anthony Cook: He ascended to #3 incredibly fast considering Kobe Boyce has ability. I asked about that as well, "Kobe's good, he just doesn't have it like Cook does." Cook's competitiveness, mental maturity, and technical ability stand out early, but so does his quickness and physicality. If you want to reload rather than rebuild you have guys like Cook replacing Boyd. Oh, and a source this morning said, "and he's still not as good as Jalen Green."

TaQuon Graham: This boils down to his ability to spin down while keeping his athleticism. He takes the game very seriously away from the film and that's shown up this spring. It also helps he's in a fantastic defense for what he can do.

Devin Duvernay: A sight for sore eyes. He also received some carries yesterday. Since early in camp the staff has made sure he received his targets and he's been taking advantage. He may not live up to the lofty expectations many of us had (or he might) but he's coming on and demonstrating ability. Have yourself a year, Devin, for you're the Garrett Wilson facsimile.

Andrew Beck: He's giving as good as he's getting this spring going against some full grown men across from him. Apparently he even planted a blitzing Malcolm Roach that caught everyone's attention. To top it off, he's been a consistent receiving threat.

QUIET SPRINGS

Denzel Okafor/Sam Cosmi: Calvin Anderson is even more important than I realized a month ago. Okafor continues to keep getting beat. Cosmi may be distracted for reasons I won't go into. This is disappointing because if neither picks it up by fall it will ensure Derek Kerstetter will remain at right tackle. He'll be fine there, but that may not maximize the line.

John Bonney: "They want him to be Jason Hall but he's more like Naashon Hughes." That about sums it up. DeMarvion Overshown in a simplified role might be a real thing this coming season.

John Burt/Jerrod Heard: Maybe it's because we're hearing about Duvernay and Humphrey respectively, but these two haven't registered on our radar.

CHRIS NELSON

Nobody knows whether he'll return for his senior year, at least nobody I talk to. That includes people who previously told me he was leaving back in November/December. Those people still lean towards him not wanting to be in Austin.

The staff became aware of the situation in December and doesn't want to lose him.

Much has been made about him being '1st team in a green non-contact jersey' as if he's actually stealing useful reps, or he's lining up in the scrimmage and everyone is making sure not to evade him. He's out there with the 1st team during the short media window, which is basically pursuit drills and water breaks. Pursuit drills are non-contact. Water breaks can get contentious depending on the heat index.

Ta'Quon Graham is your effective 1st team nose tackle.

Nelson has his cap and gown and is set to walk, but is he set to walk?

Obviously Herman wants him to stick around and is trying to make him feel a part of the team. Herman is subconsciously challenging him to not quit on his teammates. It's the smart thing to do. I'm not sure it will work.

Those of you mystified about what's going on shouldn't be.

It's just too bad Poona Ford is the one who didn't red-shirt.

PRACTICE MISCELLANY

-- Casey Thompson ripped off another long scramble, this one from 60 yards. He dropped back, didn't see anything he liked, hit the B or C gap, then cut outside and to the house. His athleticism is indisputable at this point. Let's see how long it takes for the passing game to slow down for him.

-- Malcolm Roach is still with the 1's at Rover with Gary Johnson out. Jeffrey McCulloch is now getting reps with the 2's. This spring McCulloch has played all three linebacker positions but seems to have bodies in front of him, namely Roach.

-- Mac is Wheeler (quiet spring) and Ayodele Adeoye. Recall Dele started spring at Rover but now he's home.

-- The quarterbacks have had quiet springs but have fared quite well in recent 7 on 7's. Life gets a little easier when the offensive and defensive lines aren't out on the field.

-- There are still too many missed assignments on both sides of the ball and it's leading to some big plays. Typically when the offense makes a big play, the defense screwed up, but when the defense makes a play, the offense either screwed up or got manhandled.

-- Remaining schedule heading to next Saturday: Friday lift, Monday lift/meetings, Tuesday practice, then meetings and lifts ahead of the game.

-- It's a tired team and Herman seems to recognize that.

QUOTE ON CADEN STERNS

"I don't recall a recent safety at Texas that is defending one has but making plays on the other. He covers a ton of ground with long strides."

Sterns is a fine athlete, but this is what instincts and field vision yields.

QUOTE ON HERB HAND

"Hand coaches them to put their weight on their hand -- showing white knuckles -- whether it's run or pass he wants you firing forward off your first step and delivering a blow. It's obvious he's a run first offensive line coach."

STADIUM RENOVATIONS

I guess most of what I have has been made public, but much what we're hearing now is what we wrote about a year ago; namely that the work will be done almost entirely with football in mind. It will be done according to Tom Herman's wishes, meaning he's basically going to get whatever he wants.

Originally it was planned to be an omnibus build to include facilities for multiple sports and a rehab training facility. It was going to be built three stories deep into the ground. Of those plans, all that appears to remain is the rehab facility.

Just read from 53 weeks ago:

Long ago I mentioned the single hang-up Tom Herman had regarding Texas was "support." He saw from afar a school lacking in direction and lagging in key, modern areas such as facilities. He could fix many of the other areas where the school was behind, mainly modernizing on social media and the like, but the support he was looking for was really spelled $upport.

Through intermediaries Texas knew these needs in advance, and that's why a middle-of-the-night agreement was so easily struck in Columbus in late November.

Herman wasn't bs-ing about wanting support, and Texas wasn't bs-ing about giving it, as we alluded to last month with facilities upgrades and spending $11 million dollars on the locker room, training room, and gym. But that's chump change compared to what awaits in the south end zone.

Before spring football began Chris Plonsky and David Onion (head of alumni relations and development) made a presentation to the LHF about stadium expansion with a price tag of $250,000,000. It was stated when they reach $100,000,000, give or take, they'd go to the Board of Regents seeking approval. Part of the sale to the BOR will be increased revenue without increased expense due to bonds coming off the books from the round of suite renovations in the late 90's.

The vision is for more suites, perhaps some club seating, but it's mainly football team and athletics-centric. The plan is to not only build up, but also four stories underground for an academic center, underground gym, and training center.

This is where the presentation got interesting.

Tom Herman was in attendance and politely suggested the new build should be football-centric. He gave appreciation for the other sports but lamented this was a football stadium. This led to an interesting quote from a donor, "for the first time since around 2003 or 2004 the football coach realizes he's the most powerful person in the AD."

Other Herman requests regarding the build and otherwise: in lieu of a few suites he wants coaches' offices overlooking the stadium; two turf fields with the same turf as what's in DKR; a new practice bubble; turning the current locker room into the visitors'; and to repurpose the football living areas of Jester in to more modern, loft-style living.

The main question you'll have is likely the same one I had; how close is the AD to reaching its goal of $100,000,000 for this project? I was told, "I'm not sure, but I do know with a few wins and Herman working the room, money won't be an issue at all. He'll have it with ease."

Recently I was having a discussion with another Cigar and he was voicing his displeasure with the situation at the top with the Athletic Director. I told him, at least we know football will b
e fine. He agreed.
Edited by Machinator

16 hours ago, stork642 said:

Are you kidding?   I guarantee that guy has slayed more strange than you've ever dreamed of.  Some of the absolute coolest people I've ever known have some sorta odd features yet they are unfazed by it.  You sound like a total douche.  Exactly how old are you?  If you're still in high school disregard.  And, oh yeah, OU does sucks. 

Dumbo says you have really big ears plus you are very sensitive. I graduated UT 2 decades ago and I wouldn't be on Shaggy Surly if I weren't a total douche, but thanks for affirming.

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Dumbo says you have really big ears plus you are very sensitive. I graduated UT 2 decades ago and I wouldn't be on Shaggy Surly if I weren't a total douche, but thanks for affirming.

It's possible I may have overreacted just a smidge.  It's probably because I lost both of my ears in a horrible weed eater accident.  Those things are dangerous.  

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

It's possible I may have overreacted just a smidge.  It's probably because I lost both of my ears in a horrible weed eater accident.  Those things are dangerous.  

Dangerous ears? Sorry about your broken weed eater.

• Like 2

Anybody know what the hang up is on building on Clark Field? I understand the students want a sweet green space near their dorms to play some ultimate frisbee, but they shouldn't get in the way of football facilities. It's prime real estate for an Athletics Only Dorm or an indoor/outdoor practice facility. 

I'm hoping for Oregon style football facilities. Open space and natural lighting, not something 3 stories underground that looks exactly like Bama's facilities. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Anyone else bothered of the idea of the visiting teams getting our badass locker room?

They're not going to leave the new lockers in there are they?  Surely they will put some old nasty lockers for the visitors to use.  

At least they can see what they're never going to see again back at their place

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Make them wonder what kind of ultra lux, beyond next level lockers the Horns are using..

It would be funny to troll visitors with a looping highlight reel of the last time we played (and beat) whichever team on the tv's above the lockers.

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

I'm hoping we're being lead astray by the OL/DL reports... but I believe we're severely limited... Depth on DL and ability on OL. Everybody thinks our best OL is terrible and has all this hope for the rest... bad sign, if truth.

$9.95-ers are known for pumping Kool-Aid during the spring offseason. if anything, they're likely understating the severity of our O-line struggles. Contrary to what people here want to believe, our front seven is not good enough to excuse their struggles - especially without Gary Johnson.

Make them wonder what kind of ultra lux, beyond next level lockers the Horns are using..

It would be funny to troll visitors with a looping highlight reel of the last time we played (and beat) whichever team on the tv's above the lockers.
Oh yeah, that would be truly epic. Just put it on a loop from the moment they arrive

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm hoping we're being lead astray by the OL/DL reports... but I believe we're severely limited... Depth on DL and ability on OL. Everybody thinks our best OL is terrible and has all this hope for the rest... bad sign, if truth.

I doubt that we have been designated lead ashtray for any reports, but if we're being led astray, we might get burned. Also, Pb 82, etc.

• Like 1

We will have most likely 2 new starters on the line game 1 plus the return of a healthy Beck. If you get optimistic and call Anderson and Williams a push from last year, that leaves you with 1 spot that could have significant improvement with new personnel. That is still only 20% of the line. Add in familiarity of scheme, offseason gains, and better coaching, and I think it is reasonable to expect the line to be about 40-50% better than last year overall. Newsflash, still not great, but most likely serviceable.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Anybody know what the hang up is on building on Clark Field? I understand the students want a sweet green space near their dorms to play some ultimate frisbee, but they shouldn't get in the way of football facilities.

Hey, the women's club team (Texas Melee) made it to the national final last year, and the men's team (Texas TUFF) is generally a national qualifier, although they've been down for a couple of years. Club sports are important too!!

*I know sarcasm meters have been on the fritz since the move over here, so, yes, I'm being a bit facetious. Although the school's Ultimate Frisbee teams are really good!

I don't think Hand is done with grad transfers. Burrell and Hand recently started following each other on Twitter. If Burrell doesn't win the starting center job at Ohio State, I'm going to guess he transfers. 

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/04/football-position-battles-to-watch-in-ohio-states-spring-game/

"Ohio State has had back-to-back Rimington Trophy winners — Pat Elflein in 2016 and Billy Price in 2017. No one should expect a third award-winner next season.

While the winning center between redshirt senior Brady Taylor, redshirt freshman Josh Myers and redshirt junior Matt Burrell might end up as a solid player, none has much experience. Taylor has the edge, given he will be in his fifth year with the program.

Myers was a former five-star prospect and is a powerful run blocker. After a year in the program, he has begun to push for playing time. Burrell has been a career backup and has been embroiled in multiple position battles before, but he seems third in line for playing time at center.

With a strong performance in the Spring Game, Taylor could cement himself in the middle of the line. But Myers and Burrell seem to have a shot to overtake him."

10 hours ago, Modessit said:

16 hours ago, stork642 said:

Is a weed eater a gurl from  Aggy?

Edited by TexasTroll
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Hand is done with grad transfers. Burrell and Hand recently started following each other on Twitter. If Burrell doesn't win the starting center job at Ohio State, I'm going to guess he transfers. 

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/04/football-position-battles-to-watch-in-ohio-states-spring-game/

"Ohio State has had back-to-back Rimington Trophy winners — Pat Elflein in 2016 and Billy Price in 2017. No one should expect a third award-winner next season.

While the winning center between redshirt senior Brady Taylor, redshirt freshman Josh Myers and redshirt junior Matt Burrell might end up as a solid player, none has much experience. Taylor has the edge, given he will be in his fifth year with the program.

Myers was a former five-star prospect and is a powerful run blocker. After a year in the program, he has begun to push for playing time. Burrell has been a career backup and has been embroiled in multiple position battles before, but he seems third in line for playing time at center.

With a strong performance in the Spring Game, Taylor could cement himself in the middle of the line. But Myers and Burrell seem to have a shot to overtake him."

So we'd have him for 2years? That wouldn't suck 

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Burrell came here, I think he would easily beat out Shackelford to be the starting center. This move would also allow the coaching staff to keep Kerstetter at RT.