austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

People overrate localness and sports knowledge and underrate radio talent.

Good radio talent is the most important. Like Bobby Bones switched from local pop to national country. Toucher and Rich switched from rock to sports.

Get good creative radio talent and let them do their thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

People overrate localness and sports knowledge and underrate radio talent.

Good radio talent is the most important. Like Bobby Bones switched from local pop to national country. Toucher and Rich switched from rock to sports.

Get good creative radio talent and let them do their thing.

Yea, i think they were obsessed with the whole "local" thing and overlooked getting real talent that could drive interest.

Having local coverage is fine, but the people that care about everything being "local" probably dont care about sports. I never once have been interested in high school sports outside of which players i can expect to see at the next level. I give not one shit about who wins their district or whatever the fuck Craig Way rambles about.

1 minute ago, Nope said:

For the sake of his sobriety I hope he lands something else to keep him busy

He blabbered on the radio for four hours in the morning five days a week, and it was obvious he spent no time beyond that preparing for the air.  He'll be fine playing golf and gardening all day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Erin said he's staying. Said he couldn't afford the uncertainty at the moment if he left. 

Not really a vote of self-confidence.  I actually think Erin is one of the few halfway decent guys left on that station.  But maybe it's more of a comment on the dying local radio industry.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not really a vote of self-confidence.  I actually think Erin is one of the few halfway decent guys left on that station.  But maybe it's more of a comment on the dying local radio industry.

Yeah, sounded like he didn't have any other lifeline. 

Hogan had Ward on one morning the other day and I thought it was maybe the best thing I've heard on 104.9 since BK left. 

The point about actual talent is correct. You can think whatever you want of Ward but he and Hogan know how to fill airtime and keep you listening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They really don't need a mid day show. Just find 2 guys that don't suck in the am and 2 guys that don't suck in the pm. Run some national stuff in between. 

totally agree, they only need 4 guys, and maybe a 5th that acts as producer to both shows

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

I'm guessing Hogan and Babers will be doing a morning show together. 

While that would probably make for a decent morning show, I dont think they can do that. those are their 2 "best" guys, which means the afternoon show would be pretty bad. 

I dont have any inside knowledge, but based on info thats available, Erin, Rob, Chad, Zay are the most likely ones to still have jobs. We know Craig, Howe, Bucky are gone. Harge is a question mark, and most of us that listen are not that impressed with him.

So unless they are going to poach someone from the other station again (please god dont give Chip or Ketchum a spot) or they keep Harge and dump Zay (or demote him to producer) they are the 4 most likely surviors

And if they are only doing a morning and afternoon show, It would probably be Erin working with his choice of Chad or Zay.  and Rob working with the other one. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Hardge is "better" than Zay.  That's a very low bar.

Hogan, BK, and Ward are the best in Austin sports radio over the years.  Babers does his homework, and works for people like me who enjoy statistics, etc.  He can be a little bit of a beating vocally, but I like him and I'm glad they're keeping him.

Whatever they do I’ll be picking one show to listen to.  Don’t care if it’s morning or afternoon as I generally only hear it via podcast at my convenience. Two shows worth of content each day is way more than I need. Most likely I’ll listen to Erin. But if he pairs with Ward I’m out. Can’t stand Ward. 

Hardge is "better" than Zay.  That's a very low bar.
Hogan, BK, and Ward are the best in Austin sports radio over the years.  Babers does his homework, and works for people like me who enjoy statistics, etc.  He can be a little bit of a beating vocally, but I like him and I'm glad they're keeping him.

Hardge seems like a nice guy but just can’t speak fluidly. Horrible to say bc I like him but he just sounds like a dumbass — so awkward when he stumbles through ads. Zay wouldn’t be horrible if he calmed down but he can’t seem to help himself and he’s getting worse and worse. He’s abandoned his normal voice and now almost exclusively screams and rants and raves. He’s so bad lately it’s unlistenable. Same with Chad. Not horrible when he’s not excited but that’s hardly ever these days. They feed off each other and get riled up and it’s just so so bad. Hogan isn’t the most dynamic but is a pro and can anchor a show. I think rod is great. He can get a little excited every once in a while but overall I think he’s really really good. His deep dives into stats and analysis are great. I know people disagree but I’ve always liked ward and really enjoy his anecdotes from his playing days and general old school ut / swc knowledge.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Watching this show “ survive the raft”’ And it’s hosted by Nate Boyer. Nate fucking Boyer. When he introduced himself he said he was a green beret and a former football player that played in the nfl for the Seattle seabitches.

NO MENTION OF THE UNIVeRSITY OF TEXAS!!!!

What the fuck Nate, I felt fucking betrayed!

I’m not a big money booster yet, but when I become one this type is bullshit won’t be tolerated. He should have listed family first, employment second.

Will someone make this its own threa? I’m too drunk to reliably get that right, otherwise I may tomatoes

• Fuck You 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:26 PM, PantsTent said:

Over the last week I thought everyone except Erin and Chad have said they’re done. Rod was a bit ambiguous I think. Erin and Chad are the two highest ranking company wise.

From the show Friday it definitely sounded like Rod is staying to me. 

Watching this show “ survive the raft”’ And it’s hosted by Nate Boyer. Nate fucking Boyer. When he introduced himself he said he was a green beret and a former football player that played in the nfl for the Seattle seabitches.

NO MENTION OF THE UNIVeRSITY OF TEXAS!!!!

What the fuck Nate, I felt fucking betrayed!

I’m not a big money booster yet, but when I become one this type is bullshit won’t be tolerated. He should have listed family first, employment second.

Will someone make this its own threa? I’m too drunk to reliably get that right, otherwise I may tomatoes
Discretion may have been a prudent mindset given your mindset down to your toes.

3 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Erin just confirmed that him and Rod will be hosting a morning show from 6-11 starting next Monday. Said there will also be an afternoon drive show from 5-7 but didn’t say who would be the host(s).

This is the right move. Assume Chad and someone.

I had to drive around and do some errands yesterday, and manually tuned into 101.9 to see how the signal was near the domain.  tried 3 diff times over 90 mins to listen

Its signal strength was actually WORSE than the 104.9 signal. 

Which tells me the only way to listen to these guys now is either the app, or on AM 1260.

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This is the right move. Assume Chad and someone.

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Erin just confirmed that him and Rod will be hosting a morning show from 6-11 starting next Monday. Said there will also be an afternoon drive show from 5-7 but didn’t say who would be the host(s).

It may just be Erin and Rod in afternoon too...

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I had to drive around and do some errands yesterday, and manually tuned into 101.9 to see how the signal was near the domain.  tried 3 diff times over 90 mins to listen

Its signal strength was actually WORSE than the 104.9 signal. 

Which tells me the only way to listen to these guys now is either the app, or on AM 1260.

I get nothing but static on both 101.9 and 1260 (SW Austin).

12 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I get nothing but static on both 101.9 and 1260 (SW Austin).

Yeah able to get it still thru The Horn ApphornFM.com, also found it on myTuner radio app (search for The Horn) so I could run it thru Roku on a TV.

Obviously if you can get the signals, 1260am and 101.9 FM (basically Williamson County and far North Austin) are still available.

Radio signals aren't good in most of South Austin though.

Edited by LTtxfan

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah able to get it still thru The Horn ApphornFM.com, also found it on myTuner radio app (search for The Horn) so I could run it thru Roku on a TV.

Obviously if you can get the signals, 1260am and 101.9 FM (basically Williamson County and far North Austin) are still available.

Radio signals aren't good in most of South Austin though.

If you have any Alexa device, you can tell it to tune in to almost any radio station and get an excellent feed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Native Horn said:

Threadjack - what happened to Whitfield's BBQ at Davis/Brodie?  Did Casey relocate, or just shut it down?

On Saturday morning he said that he wants to open a brick and mortar so for now he's just going to focus on catering.  He said he makes the same working 6-7 days doing catering than the did working the Brodie location (which was open 2 days a week?).  Anyway, he said cost to build is too high right now so he's waiting it out.

• Hook 'Em 1