austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

11 hours ago, Drifterwood said:

IHeartRadio group got the UT contract, but doesn’t currently have any sports programming on any of its stations and doesn’t even know which one of their stations they’ll put the games on.

Meanwhile, Nassour has told a couple of the Horn on-air talent that they’ll still have jobs (not Bucky) but is also doing behind the scenes shit to try and sell the station.

So no one involved knows shit about what will happen other than who will pay UT for the contract. Pretty fitting.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they try to just keep a few guys like Rod, Erin, and Craig for a local show, cut the rest loose and just plug in some nationally syndicated shows. Not sure what the other opportunities are even like at this point but any of the guys who are halfway decent should try to jump ship.

I think the demand really is there, but the talent isn’t.  I just find it impossible to believe that there aren’t enough listeners interested in UT sports to support a local sports radio station.  I just think the talent has been god awful and the stations have been horribly mismanaged.

I used to enjoy 1300’s lineup back in the day, when Bucky still had a good combo of humor and college football coaching insight, and they mixed in some nationally syndicated shows so that they didn’t overstretch the local talent.

Would a station with the weekday time slots filled with the following programming not work?

A 3 hour morning show with a guy like Erin Hogan paired with a younger/better version of Bucky

A 1 hour show with Craig Way solo, updating the last week in UT/HS sports, telling stories, and hosting interviews

A 1 hour mid afternoon show hosted by multiple former UT athletes, interviewing current and former UT players and coaches 

A 3 hour afternoon show hosted by professional comedians who are knowledgeable about local sports

The rest could be filled with nationally syndicated shows or shit even non-sports shit like standup clips or music.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think the demand really is there, but the talent isn’t.  I just find it impossible to believe that there aren’t enough listeners interested in UT sports to support a local sports radio station.  I just think the talent has been god awful and the stations have been horribly mismanaged.

I used to enjoy 1300’s lineup back in the day, when Bucky still had a good combo of humor and college football coaching insight, and they mixed in some nationally syndicated shows so that they didn’t overstretch the local talent.

Would a station with the weekday time slots filled with the following programming not work?

A 3 hour morning show with a guy like Erin Hogan paired with a younger/better version of Bucky

A 1 hour show with Craig Way solo, updating the last week in UT/HS sports, telling stories, and hosting interviews

A 1 hour mid afternoon show hosted by multiple former UT athletes, interviewing current and former UT players and coaches 

A 3 hour afternoon show hosted by professional comedians who are knowledgeable about local sports

The rest could be filled with nationally syndicated shows or shit even non-sports shit like standup clips or music.

image.gif.6e90c48686dae0b206c64c87e9a3b2ac.gif

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So KVET AM/FM will cover Texas games in Central Texas now...

Screenshot_20230713-135412_kindlephoto-14475622.thumb.png.93999f2795ee4692cc127e6dd3b493b7.png

The article mentions everything but where baseball will be on radio.

Baseball is #2 to football in my interest, and IDGAF if basketball is on the radio at all if it pushes baseball out of the way.

I hope Texas Baseball isn't relegated to a 400-foot temporary road-games transmitter for home games.  

And definitely, effectively ending Texas Baseball radio (since they didn't care to explicitly mention what happens to it, which causes people to wonder) isn't going to work as some Crystal-ploy to force more home attendance at the Disch.

Yes, IHR has many stations in the Austin area, but they all have their own music audiences that will revolt if their 96.7 grooves/etc. get interrupted for Texas Baseball, so where do Texas Baseball radio games go? I wonder if the answer to that is Nowhere.  /rant

Edited by BachelorTrek

Morning Show: Hogan, money-whip Brad Kellner to come back, Rod as the third wheel to talk stats and absolutely nothing about his personal life and relationships with women. Bring Craig in for an hour+ segment every Friday during the football season to preview the high school games that night and discuss the results of the previous week. 

mid-morning: Dan Patrick

mid-day: some other nationally-syndicated guy

drive time: who the fuck knows. find a few guys that don't suck balls. maybe a former football and basketball player that aren't dumbasses and can discuss the big three sports at the college and pro level? 

Fire everyone else. They're all dead weight. 

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Morning Show: Hogan, money-whip Brad Kellner to come back, Rod as the third wheel to talk stats and absolutely nothing about his personal life and relationships with women. Bring Craig in for an hour+ segment every Friday during the football season to preview the high school games that night and discuss the results of the previous week. 

3 people on a show is too many. I’d be happy with Erin and Rod in the mornings. That’s really all I’d need.  I’ve been listening the B&E only via podcast for several years now. Haven’t touched the actual radio in my car in a long time. One podcast a day is all the sports talk I can take but it’s nice being able to listen to it whenever is convenient in my day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

The article mentions everything but where baseball will be on radio.

Baseball is #2 to football in my interest, and IDGAF if basketball is on the radio at all if it pushes baseball out of the way.

I hope Texas Baseball isn't relegated to a 400-foot temporary road-games transmitter for home games.  

And definitely, effectively ending Texas Baseball radio (since they didn't care to explicitly mention what happens to it, which causes people to wonder) isn't going to work as some Crystal-ploy to force more home attendance at the Disch.

Yes, IHR has many stations in the Austin area, but they all have their own music audiences that will revolt if their 96.7 grooves/etc. get interrupted for Texas Baseball, so where do Texas Baseball radio games go? I wonder if the answer to that is Nowhere.  /rant

They will likely simulcast baseball on 102.3.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, PantsTent said:

Opportunity for the new Horn!  I just go to 790am website on phone.  Also can find the same on iHeartRadio app.  It sure cuts in and out a lot while driving though.

You can stream the games through that?

thought that was locked down by mlb 

43 minutes ago, WBT said:

yeah, missed that. Really didn’t need to know it because I’ll listen to the games on XM in the car and the MLB app otherwise, but the latter is utter shit since audacy got involved so glad to see there is another streaming option.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, WBT said:

The terms of these newly-inked streaming deals vary depending on the team and the station. “Everybody is doing their own individual agreements because MLB allowed the teams to negotiate whatever they could or would with their partners,” Martin explains. Items being worked out include ad inventory, which Dee says “is subject to negotiation between the team and their flagship rights holder.”

Bundling streaming rights into a broadcast deal with a station, “is a trade that MLB should make knowing that geo-targeting will not wipe out their national offering of local games,” Pearlman says. It’s also a trade that’s beneficial to both sides. “Flagship stations are faced with the challenge of filling their client rosters in a pandemic climate while looking for ways to broaden their broadcasts to attract new audiences,” he continues. “In trying to fill that lineup card with the biggest bats for the buck, streaming rights can help score some new listeners and extend the power of its sales story.”

Soo... It varies?

24 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

The Austin Radio network must be absolutely hemorrhaging cash, they just announced that the festival they have been hyping and advertising for months is being cancelled 3 weeks before it was set to go:

KokeFest Cancelled.

Preemptive lawsuit avoidance for multiple heat-related deaths at an outdoor music festival in central texas in early august apparently yields greater cost savings than lawsuit defense from artists/other damaged parties due to last minute cancellation 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Preemptive lawsuit avoidance for multiple heat-related deaths at an outdoor music festival in central texas in early august apparently yields greater cost savings than lawsuit defense from artists/other damaged parties due to last minute cancellation 

Haha, that's what I was thinking.  I looked at their website and thought it was funny that no one appears red-faced and covered in sweat. 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, irishtexan said:

mid-morning: Dan Patrick

mid-day: some other nationally-syndicated guy

drive time: who the fuck knows. find a few guys that don't suck balls. maybe a former football and basketball player that aren't dumbasses and can discuss the big three sports at the college and pro level? 

Fire everyone else. They're all dead weight. 

giphy.gif

On 7/14/2023 at 3:16 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

The Austin Radio network must be absolutely hemorrhaging cash, they just announced that the festival they have been hyping and advertising for months is being cancelled 3 weeks before it was set to go:

KokeFest Cancelled.

"We take money immediately from your bank when you buy tickets, but give us a month or two to get it back to you."

Nice. 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, irishtexan said:

Wishful thinking as BK was the one true talent on the Horn. He was beyond his years wise enough to try out different approaches & move on from schtick that wasn't working while building on the stuff that did.

It would be career suicide for him to move from the Houston market back to Austin. And since none of the local sports-oriented stations seem to have the money to employ much more than entry level talent plus interns they're not going to find a way to pay him more PLUS promote him in a way that would bring him anywhere near the exposure he's currently getting at ESPN in Houston. Shit, his personal page is more professional looking than anything that the Horn has done for their talent (minus him using Bucky Godbolt and Fuck Chip Brown as references).

BK's page

So is there going to be a locally focused sports radio channel during football season to stream or no?  Crazy how in one thread we have people explaining Texas fan numbers and in this thread people are saying there’s no market for Longhorn based radio programming anymore lol.  That is not true.  

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So is there going to be a locally focused sports radio channel during football season to stream or no?  Crazy how in one thread we have people explaining Texas fan numbers and in this thread people are saying there’s no market for Longhorn based radio programming anymore lol.  That is not true.  

If you are referring to Texas Football games, there will be streaming options:

The Longhorn Radio Network broadcasts football and men's basketball game days, as well as coaches' shows statewide on more than 30 affiliates. Additionally, broadcasts are available on SiriusXM satellite radio and streamed live worldwide on TexasSports.com and the Texas Athletics mobile app, as well as the iHeartRadio app. Fans can find the complete list of listening options on TexasSports.com/radio.

No longer broadcasting Texas football games, but it appears that HornFM app will  likely continue along with 1260-AM and the change to 101.9-FM and provide some local Austin sports talk.

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

If you are referring to Texas Football games, there will be streaming options:

The Longhorn Radio Network broadcasts football and men's basketball game days, as well as coaches' shows statewide on more than 30 affiliates. Additionally, broadcasts are available on SiriusXM satellite radio and streamed live worldwide on TexasSports.com and the Texas Athletics mobile app, as well as the iHeartRadio app. Fans can find the complete list of listening options on TexasSports.com/radio.

Looks like the HornFM app will  likely continue along with 1260-AM and the change to 101.9-FM

No like local radio talking about longhorn football during the season.  

7 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Wishful thinking as BK was the one true talent on the Horn. He was beyond his years wise enough to try out different approaches & move on from schtick that wasn't working while building on the stuff that did.

It would be career suicide for him to move from the Houston market back to Austin. And since none of the local sports-oriented stations seem to have the money to employ much more than entry level talent plus interns they're not going to find a way to pay him more PLUS promote him in a way that would bring him anywhere near the exposure he's currently getting at ESPN in Houston. Shit, his personal page is more professional looking than anything that the Horn has done for their talent (minus him using Bucky Godbolt and Fuck Chip Brown as references).

BK's page

Kellner is good.

Edited by Wally Pryor

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I saw some stuff pop up on FB about this and checked in mostly to see what happened to BK. Been forever since I listened although I think my truck is still tuned to 104.9. No idea what station that is here in Raleigh.

If you missed BK's info above... he's been in H-Town for 2 yrs with ESPN radio...

Screenshot_20230717-010032_kindlephoto-4112782.thumb.png.4f6f7735eb756a2a485cd4ff620c2a6d.png

Thanks for stopping by! My name is Brad Kellner (BK) and I am a sports radio host at ESPN 97.5 & 92.5 in Houston. I was born in Overland Park, Kansas, but spent the majority of my childhood in the Dallas-area after moving to Texas at the age of 6. Before moving to Houston in the summer of 2021, I spent my previous nine years in Austin, attending the University of Texas and working at AM 1300 The Zone and 104.9 The Horn.

I currently serve as a host of “The Wheelhouse” on ESPN 97.5 & 92.5 in Houston. The show airs weekdays from 3-7 p.m. and covers a broad range of important topics in the world of sports, news and entertainment. My goal is to put on an entertaining and informative radio program day in and day out.

During my time in Austin, I also served as a Texas Longhorn football and basketball postgame host and play-by-play broadcaster. I hosted the official Texas Longhorn football postgame show after every game on the flagship station for UT sports. In addition, I hosted basketball postgame shows for various games throughout the season. Both programs were call-based and provide Texas fans with immediate commentary following Longhorn games. I also called games for various high school football and basketball teams throughout Central Texas, as well.

Working in sports radio has been a goal of mine for a long time and I continue to work every day to turn my dreams into reality.

Feel free to browse around the site to view some of my works. Thank you for visiting, and please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or inquiries.

-BK-

https://bradkellner.com/ 

IHeartRadio group got the UT contract, but doesn’t currently have any sports programming on any of its stations and doesn’t even know which one of their stations they’ll put the games on.

Meanwhile, Nassour has told a couple of the Horn on-air talent that they’ll still have jobs (not Bucky) but is also doing behind the scenes shit to try and sell the station.

So no one involved knows shit about what will happen other than who will pay UT for the contract. Pretty fitting.

I thought Nassour was in prison for destroying evidence of cops killing that guy. Did you go visit him yourself?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some dude on the blitz a few minutes ago basically said " No one likes a liar and if you don't stop I'll call back tomorrow with the truth". Could be be full of shit? Who knows, but with all the shit going on and the stuff already talked about in this thread I'm sure it's an absolute clusterfuck behind the scenes. 

E handled the comment about as well as a seasoned pro could tbh, but you could tell he was taken back by it. 

2 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

Craig just announced on air that the "Light the Tower" is coming to an end and doesn't know if the show goes on anywhere else.  He still will be the voice of Longhorns.

"just announced"

it took him upwards of 25 minutes of explanation to refuse to give any other details about anyone else... before finally giving his own detail (which was obvious based on him being the voice of the horns and another station taking those rights).

at this point, sounds like theres gonna be a bloodletting.   I'm going to guess Harge, Zay, & Ward are gone for sure.  probably leaving a morning and afternoon local show.

Erin and Bucky ( yeah I think hes staying) and Chad & Rob in the afternoon.

I could see an argument for Zay to be kept instead of Chad.   but neither excite me.  

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

"just announced"

it took him upwards of 25 minutes of explanation to refuse to give any other details about anyone else... before finally giving his own detail (which was obvious based on him being the voice of the horns and another station taking those rights).

at this point, sounds like theres gonna be a bloodletting.   I'm going to guess Harge, Zay, & Ward are gone for sure.  probably leaving a morning and afternoon local show.

Erin and Bucky ( yeah I think hes staying) and Chad & Rob in the afternoon.

I could see an argument for Zay to be kept instead of Chad.   but neither excite me.  

Ward? Isn't he doing his own thing and not part of The Horn?

On 7/15/2023 at 10:08 PM, Deej said:

"We take money immediately from your bank when you buy tickets, but give us a month or two to get it back to you."

Nice. 

So, for all the resold tickets, how does that work?  I'd be pissed if I was one of the stooges that bought a ticket off of the big resellers or marketplace for above face, only to get screwed on the cancellation.

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Some dude on the blitz a few minutes ago basically said " No one likes a liar and if you don't stop I'll call back tomorrow with the truth". Could be be full of shit? Who knows, but with all the shit going on and the stuff already talked about in this thread I'm sure it's an absolute clusterfuck behind the scenes. 

E handled the comment about as well as a seasoned pro could tbh, but you could tell he was taken back by it. 

Why in God's name are you listening to the blitz?

35 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

Craig just announced on air that the "Light the Tower" is coming to an end and doesn't know if the show goes on anywhere else.  He still will be the voice of Longhorns.

Not that I'm happy about anyone losing a job but Craig's place is in the booth calling the game and then putting him back in cryogenic stasis between games.  His autistic level fascination with probabilistic outcomes regarding the high school playoffs is terrible, terrible radio 

"So if Bastrop loses Liberty Hill today, but Kerville Tivvy wins against Buda, then Bastrop Cedar Creek plays Comal Pieper but it's a tie, then let's say Buda Hays decides to forfeit their game against Medina Valley, then Alamo Heights will be district runner-up.  But if Bastrop wins, but Kerville Tivvy wins by 15 and Bastrop Cedar Creek loses....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

FIFY

Hey, I'll take KokeFest any day of the week over some iHeartRadio concert that's touting the latest of Nashville crap.  

And I'll take KOKE FM over KVET and KASE anyday.  KVET overplaying Toby Keith every chance they get really irks me...