austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

On 2/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I agree.  Grunge begat some fairly horrible rock/rap hybrids, and that all gave way to the folk-pop revival (Mumford, Decemberists, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Father John Misty come to mind).  Only now is the stink of that precious, pretentious crap fading.

You'd left out the Lumineers. Just fuck those guys and their stupid fucking hats.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm not privy to all the numbers, but I don't understand 101x. I was under the impression that Jason and Deb were pretty popular. Maybe things get worn out and you need something fresh.

Deb is axed... ok. They bring on a young female to replace her. To me she is alright, but certainly not the big personality that Deb is (which admittedly wore on me).

Then Jason's contract isn't renewed. And my understanding is that Nick fills his seat. I love Nick, but switching him for Jason is like going from a major league pitcher to a Single-A pitcher. He's funny as a side guy, but actually carrying a show? Plus the show just seems to now be completely music anyway.

Jason/Deb used to be where the dial went when I was in the car before 10 a.m. Now I'm thinking about re-programming the station altogether. Just seems completely bungled. Why not bring in new talent? Or hell, offer Jason a contract that's lower as there aren't many other radio gigs in Austin. Instead, they've just killed the program in a weird way.

yeah, deb got sideways with the owners - that happens, whatever. 

she's going to be hard to replace, but i'm sure you can give it a go.

what i don't understand is this slavish need to do a music talk hybrid in the morning.

if i want music, i can get music. if i want local content, i gotta wait through the fucking foo fighters my hero? get out of here. i'll listen to the podcast, thanks.

i do not understand the business, as outlined earlier, but it's broken af. i wasn't a jason and deb guy, but they were local content which seems to be going away so we can hear some more pink fucking floyd.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not privy to all the numbers, but I don't understand 101x. I was under the impression that Jason and Deb were pretty popular. Maybe things get worn out and you need something fresh.
Deb is axed... ok. They bring on a young female to replace her. To me she is alright, but certainly not the big personality that Deb is (which admittedly wore on me).
Then Jason's contract isn't renewed. And my understanding is that Nick fills his seat. I love Nick, but switching him for Jason is like going from a major league pitcher to a Single-A pitcher. He's funny as a side guy, but actually carrying a show? Plus the show just seems to now be completely music anyway.
Jason/Deb used to be where the dial went when I was in the car before 10 a.m. Now I'm thinking about re-programming the station altogether. Just seems completely bungled. Why not bring in new talent? Or hell, offer Jason a contract that's lower as there aren't many other radio gigs in Austin. Instead, they've just killed the program in a weird way.

I get that most here hated dale Dudley but he’s been gone from klbj for a year now. Have you tried their morning show? It’s infinitely more entertaining than anything 101X is doing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/24/2023 at 12:34 PM, hayden_horn said:

yeah, deb got sideways with the owners - that happens, whatever. 

she's going to be hard to replace, but i'm sure you can give it a go.

what i don't understand is this slavish need to do a music talk hybrid in the morning.

if i want music, i can get music. if i want local content, i gotta wait through the fucking foo fighters my hero? get out of here. i'll listen to the podcast, thanks.

i do not understand the business, as outlined earlier, but it's broken af. i wasn't a jason and deb guy, but they were local content which seems to be going away so we can hear some more pink fucking floyd.

What, you don't like Booker on 94.7?  Fuck me that guy is awful.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, deft said:

I get that most here hated dale Dudley but he’s been gone from klbj for a year now. Have you tried their morning show? It’s infinitely more entertaining than anything 101X is doing.

I honestly know nothing about Dale Dudley is or why he isn't liked. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, deft said:

I cycled thru FM presets on my way to the office this morning and landed on KLBJ.  They had some idiot on the phone who "wasn't a conspiracy guy" but who questioned everything about covid statistics.  Matt & Bob or whoever is on now just barely pushed back.  It was laughable.  All the usual tropes -- not as deadly as the flu, if you died of a heart attack but had covid they put it down as covid to get more federal funding, etc.  The dude just kept going because those pussies couldn't be bothered to actually tell him he was an idiot.

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I honestly know nothing about Dale Dudley is or why he isn't liked. 

Dale was a self confessed cuck who got increasingly depressing as time went on.  Dale suffers from a wide variety of mental health issues, and ultimately that just killed his part of the show.  He used to be pretty funny back in the 90's and early 2000's but it just got sad at the end.  I hope he's doing alright, but it was just a beating listening to him towards the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Dale was a self confessed cuck who got increasingly depressing as time went on.  Dale suffers from a wide variety of mental health issues, and ultimately that just killed his part of the show.  He used to be pretty funny back in the 90's and early 2000's but it just got sad at the end.  I hope he's doing alright, but it was just a beating listening to him towards the end.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Yeah he opened up about his sexual a use as a child and claims that’s what lead to his sexual…..proclivities. Pretty sure he talked on air about them trying pegging once. He definitely talked more about swinging about threesomes than he did getting cucked but that was in the convo too.

His biggest problem is that he just couldn’t stop. He used to drink too much and couldn’t do the morning show. Then it got to be doing too much rx and I think what lead to them finally not renewing his contract. He would slur on air and would constantly repeat himself/stories/talking points. His new podcast is even worse for his inability to control himself. He completely loses his train of though even mid sentence. Somebody should have told him it’s not a point of pride to say twice a week how you can do more Xanax than everyone else…..while slurring.

11 hours ago, deft said:

So like I was saying, I know some of you hate dale…..

I got to know Dale when he first came to Austin.

We had a mutual friend and used to watch the Cowboys together when they were actually winning Super Bowls.

Some people did not like him but I tell you one thing......a lot of people did which is why he did morning drive for well over 20 years at the same station. Very few people have ever done that anywhere.

• Like 1

I remember Dale having a complete break down after coming across posts about him on the shag.

It was bit where him and Bob would google themselves. 

For those that were on the shag it's first few years then you know it was NOT a kind place.

The weak were sniffed out, bullied, and ruthlessly mocked. Some of the dog piles, which occurred on the reg, had a truly disturbing psychopathy to them.

Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

In '91 or '92 I used to hang out at Medieval Inn (35 and 53rd?) because lots of imported beer on tap served by "beer wenches" (so read the sign on the roof of the building; can't imagine that would fly these days). I was there one random Monday for MNF. The place was pretty dead, and I was chatting with waitress I'd become friendly with. She had a Kelly Willis-look about her except with curly dishwater blonde hair, and just enough rudeness to make her low cut beer wench uniform really standout. 

Anyway, we she'd stop by and tell me how it was one of the shifts that you hate as a server because she knew her tips would be light, and oh yeah there was this creepy guy a few tables over who kept feeding her the worst lines, pawing at her, and trying to get her to go back to his place. I looked over and saw a tall, dorky guy with a curly mullet and glasses. He was pretending to watch the game while really just staring at the waitress. Suddenly he started yelling WAY too loud at the game (he was pulling for Buffalo) in an obvious way to see if anyone noticed his radio voice. Sure enough it was Dale. I told the waitress who he was (she didn't know him), but she told me he kept telling her he was "famous" so if she hooked up with him he'd introduce her to all of the VIPs in Austin. I laughed at that thought as he probably thought Ed Clements would impress her.

She had to go serve him a few times after that and I was close enough to hear some of the shit lines he was throwing at her. It got so bad she had to have the bartender start bringing him  his drinks because he kept trying to touch her boobs whenever she brought him a drink. 

Oh Dale is a total fucking creep. Back in 95 I took my gf at the time to some KLBj listener event. We introduced ourselves and he wouldn't stop staring at her RATs. Man I know they are glorious but they're mine dude so take a good look then carry on. 

We left because he was making her so uncomfortable. 

Edited by MissingInAction

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Oh Dale is a total fucking creep. Back in 95 I took my gf at the time to some KLBj listener event. We introduced ourselves and he wouldn't stop staring at her RATs. Man I know they are glorious but they're mine dude so take a good look then carry on. 

We left because he was making her so uncomfortable. 

bull-kel.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

dale dudley was at the johnny walker memorial/soulhat concert last saturday at antone's. he was supposed to tell stories about johnny walker but instead he just told stories about himself and how fucked up he would get at radio parties. then he fake cried at the end. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, Native Horn said:

Gotta search the couch cushions for office rent money?

I think something happened in the Friday storm.  On Saturday morning I made some errand trips around 915-1045 and there wasnt any signal at all for 104.9 in my truck.  tried checking a few times after each stop. 

No clue if its related, but they have had weather related issues before where the transmitter went off air for a while due to high winds or something similar.  and at some points on Friday, that wind was close to 70MPH

• Hook 'Em 1

It was dead air yesterday. Honestly that operation really sucks. The signal is usually so weak that my car radio won’t even show it as an available station. When I drive to the airport I start hearing some country station from outside the area that obviously has a stronger broadcast signal. Kinda funny since it is the flagship station of UT. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

It was dead air yesterday. Honestly that operation really sucks. The signal is usually so weak that my car radio won’t even show it as an available station. When I drive to the airport I start hearing some country station from outside the area that obviously has a stronger broadcast signal. Kinda funny since it is the flagship station of UT. 

There are some pockets right in the middle of town in which their signal gets cockblocked by a Tejano station. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

When I drive to the airport I start hearing some country station from outside the area that obviously has a stronger broadcast signal. Kinda funny since it is the flagship station of UT. 

Even funnier that their broadcast tower is near the airport.  Want to say it's in Bastrop, but wiki just says on Hwy71 west of Austin.

Those sports wagering shows are a beating.  I don't know who listens to them, but I usually make it about a minute before launching Pandora or Spotify.

Honestly, Jersey Mike, I don't care that you think +110 for the Reds is easy money.  I guess somebody does.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Gotta search the couch cushions for office rent money?

4 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I think something happened in the Friday storm.  On Saturday morning I made some errand trips around 915-1045 and there wasnt any signal at all for 104.9 in my truck.  tried checking a few times after each stop. 

No clue if its related, but they have had weather related issues before where the transmitter went off air for a while due to high winds or something similar.  and at some points on Friday, that wind was close to 70MPH

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

The answer is closer to this than weather-related equipment issues.

interesting.

usually, i would think if something is weather related, the station would come out with a "hey, our equipment got fried, we're working on it."

complete radio silence over the weekend is a bad sign, especially following a flagship event.

generally, when radio doesn't tell you shit, they are out of money and/or fired someone(s).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mittens said:

I am choosing to read that as "we couldn't make payroll and our on-air talent told us to go fuck ourselves until we pay them, so enjoy some shit-ass Draft Kings shit that you can stream for $75/month".

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I am choosing to read that as "we couldn't make payroll and our on-air talent told us to go fuck ourselves until we pay them, so enjoy some shit-ass Draft Kings shit that you can stream for $75/month".

another writers' strike victim.

just kidding, it's probably just another set of victims from the friendly wilco sheriff's department.

Chad/Zay  just posted an odd podcast that went live as of 30 mins ago.   Its an hour long   I only listened to the first 5 mins or so just nwo

says something "weird and/or wacky" happened over the weekend.  that unforeseen circumstances came up over the weekend with issues well above their paygrade.

He emphasized that "all the guys" are still are appreciative of the listeners and that the other shows may or may not post their own podcasts today as things get figured out.

based on that, the idea of a bill getting unpaid or decision makers changing makes more sense.

sounds like all the show runners are waiting for a "go live' notice that could come sooner or later

• Haha 1

Ah yes, so the guy who was on terrestrial radio (the whole time lamenting the death of print media), then left radio to do a streaming show run by (checks notes) print media (and all the while lamenting the death of terrestrial radio), then left to do a podcast on a start up company that lasted all of 6 months or so, then started his own podcast that maybe 20 people listen to, has gone back to.... terrestrial radio.  How did we not see that coming?

jw.JPG

• Haha 2