Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 11:58 AM, B00M said:

Our 5 minute younger twin daughter just started crawling

B00M: "it's 9/29 and we have 2 crawlers"

MrsB00M: "and OU still sucks!"

daddy is beaming lol

Just wait until they both start walking, complete game changer good and bad. Your life will never be the same. 

Storms are hitting hard here at the house (working from home today).  5 week old is half asleep, dog is shitting bricks left and right.  She's been under my desk for a while (50 lb dog, not a lap dog by any means), and now she's stuck up against Mrs. PVS in the other room while she's working on something.   And no pics.

2.5 year old is growing up toooooo fast.  We've all been battling a cold/upper respiratory shit ever since he started back an MDO deal two days a week.  He's been sleeping like a champ though.  He loves to read books and absolutely loves Elmo and Cookie Monster.  Have any of you ever heard of the Youtube guy named Blippi?  Holy shit...it's like crack for a 2 year old.  Seriously, turn it on for your kid and he/she will be enamored for hours.

I came home from work yesterday and my wife and him were out in the swing set in the back yard.  They didn't know I was home.  I walked out and he looked up and saw me and screamed "DAH DAH!!!" and ran over to me.  Really fixed my shitty day.

Still working on the hook'em horns sign with his hands.  Every time he sees a football game on TV, he always screams "HOOK 'EM!" and turns to me with three fingers in the air.  I'm definitely taking him to his first game next year.

Edited by pearlandhorn

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

2.5 year old is growing up toooooo fast.  We've all been battling a cold/upper respiratory shit ever since he started back an MDO deal two days a week.  He's been sleeping like a champ though.  He loves to read books and absolutely loves Elmo and Cookie Monster.  Have any of you ever heard of the Youtube guy named Blippi?  Holy shit...it's like crack for a 2 year old.  Seriously, turn it on for your kid and he/she will be enamored for hours.

I came home from work yesterday and my wife and him were out in the swing set in the back yard.  They didn't know I was home.  I walked out and he looked up and saw me and screamed "DAH DAH!!!" and ran over to me.  Really fixed my shitty day.

Still working on the hook'em horns sign with his hands.  Every time he sees a football game on TV, he always screams "HOOK 'EM!" and turns to me with three fingers in the air.  I'm definitely taking him to his first game next year.

I've been taking my oldest to UT games at DKR since he was 10 months old. He'll be 3 in less than a week.

I plan to take him to his first OU game next year. 

• Like 1

So much to learn about...it makes you wanna shout Bliiiipppiii bliipiii

Hes a national treasure to parents everywhere.

Yeah the kids YouTube app is definitely crack for my kiddos. The only meal they can watch it during is breakfast because otherwise they won’t eat, just stare. Had to put an app on the 5yos tablet to lock it between 9-6am otherwise he will get up in the night and binge watch.

My 2yo daughter needs to grow up a bit faster. When my 5yo boy turned 2 he was very chill but literally the day after he turned 3 he was in his terrible threes phase...we think we are smart and tell everyone 2 is easy it’s 3 to watch for...

Now we are paying for that with the daughter going psycho mode. I have to open her door at 0540 to give her 15 minutes of yelling ‘NO DADDY!!!’ until she calms down enough for me to get her dressed, potty (she was ready for potty training at 20 months, my son didn’t start until 3.5), brush teeth, etc.

She’s a cute little shit though, so that’s nice (for now) but her teens are going to be rough.

Good luck to those in the four month regression. It was easily the worst few weeks of our now 7 month old’s life so far. Just awful.

He started crawling at 5 months and it’s been crazy (mostly good) since. Probably going to be walking in a few weeks, which is way too early for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah the kids YouTube app is definitely crack for my kiddos. The only meal they can watch it during is breakfast because otherwise they won’t eat, just stare. Had to put an app on the 5yos tablet to lock it between 9-6am otherwise he will get up in the night and binge watch.

Our 8 year old twins get ipad time Saturday and Sunday morning for 1 hour give or take. That's it. The only other time they can use it is for school work.

Yeah some might call my wife and I strict for doing it but fuck that zombie shit my kids are going to know how to have a conversation. I don't mean to judge any other parents but they have friends who have all day and night access to TV, Ipads, PS4 in their room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Our 8 year old twins get ipad time Saturday and Sunday morning for 1 hour give or take. That's it. The only other time they can use it is for school work.

Yeah some might call my wife and I strict for doing it but fuck that zombie shit my kids are going to know how to have a conversation. I don't mean to judge any other parents but they have friends who have all day and night access to TV, Ipads, PS4 in their room. 

We try to only let our daughter get phone/tablet time when it's absolutely necessary. Still hasn't stopped her 25 month old butt from learning how to use a touch screen. We just don't want to use it as a crutch. Of course my parents pull out their phones any time she starts fussing no matter how many times we tell them that we don't want her to have that much screen time.

Yay.  4yo started puking about 6:45PM tonight. Productive vomit 3 times, dry heaves twice since then.  During that span, I tweaked my back somhow (no previous back problems) and can’t stand up without lower back pain.  Then 2 yo starts puking, 3 times in the last 45 minutes, 2 massively productive and 1 dry heave.  They did not have common food or drink today, so I assume stomach virus.  My back I’ll handle, but my kids writhing in pain, dry heaving, looking at me like ‘why, daddy?’ and nothing I can do about it - ultimate kick in the balls.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:40 AM, RowdyVic said:

Doing my first watchdog day. If your kids' school has this program and you have some free time, try it out.

https://dadsofgreatstudents.com

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Seconded. WatchDOGS is a great program. You get to see what a typical day at the school is like, play with kids at recess, have lunch with your own kids, help some other students read, and just generally help out around the school. Oh yeah, and there are a ton of smoking hot teachers who tell you how great it is that you're taking time out of your schedule to volunteer at your kid's school.

Seconded. WatchDOGS is a great program. You get to see what a typical day at the school is like, play with kids at recess, have lunch with your own kids, help some other students read, and just generally help out around the school. Oh yeah, and there are a ton of smoking hot teachers who tell you how great it is that you're taking time out of your schedule to volunteer at your kid's school.
It was great! I cant tell ya how many shoes i tied. Assembled a learning station also. Yea, i'd plug a couple of the teachers. Especially the PE one! She fiiinne!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

So Lil Big D is having serious behavioral issues at school.  After doing Kindergarten last year at a Primrose School, we decided to redshirt him and have him do Kindergarten in public school this year because we just didn't think he was ready on a maturity level.  He has gotten several notes sent home due to his playing in the sink in the bathroom, spitting on his friends, and grabbing things that don't belong to him.  He also has been seated at a table near the teacher due to him not wanting to stay in his seat during the day.  His handwriting and coloring have regressed from the level he was at last year as well.  We've tried taking things away from him ( ipad, bicycle time, playdates, etc) when he gets into trouble at school and it seems to work for a few days but he always resorts back to bad behavior.  I've actually had to spank him 3 times due to spitting on people and lying to us about it.  I hated to do it, but nothing else has worked.  

He was diagnosed with epilepsy in April and was put on Depakote to keep him from having seizures and we are starting to think it may be whats causing the change in behavior.  We don't go back to see the neurologist until December so we are kind of at a loss on what to do to get him to change his behavior.   I knew there would be an adjustment period in his new school but it's been long enough now for him to be used to it.   My wife and I are at our wits end on what to do.    Shit's tough to deal with because we know deep down he's a great kid.  We just don't know what to do anymore.    Ugh.

17 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Good luck to those in the four month regression. It was easily the worst few weeks of our now 7 month old’s life so far. Just awful.

He started crawling at 5 months and it’s been crazy (mostly good) since. Probably going to be walking in a few weeks, which is way too early for me.

I think we finally turned a corner. We put him down at 7:30 last night and he woke up at 7:45 this morning. I woke up for work this morning in this strange state of feeling regenerated. It is kind of nice. 

That being said, I probably jinxed it and he will be terrible tonight. 

• Like 2

I think we finally turned a corner. We put him down at 7:30 last night and he woke up at 7:45 this morning. I woke up for work this morning in this strange state of feeling regenerated. It is kind of nice. 
That being said, I probably jinxed it and he will be terrible tonight. 

That’s absurd. My 7 month old has never slept that long (10 hours max)

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

That’s absurd. My 7 month old has never slept that long (10 hours max)

My wife has read this sleep book which has been pretty helpful. It basically works under the premise that babies only have 90-minute alert cycles and if you put them down for naps 90 minutes from when they wake up, it develops better sleeping habits and allows them to learn to sleep. I was pretty skeptical at first, but It seems to work really well which is why we were so surprised by the regression. 

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

So Lil Big D is having serious behavioral issues at school.  After doing Kindergarten last year at a Primrose School, we decided to redshirt him and have him do Kindergarten in public school this year because we just didn't think he was ready on a maturity level.  He has gotten several notes sent home due to his playing in the sink in the bathroom, spitting on his friends, and grabbing things that don't belong to him.  He also has been seated at a table near the teacher due to him not wanting to stay in his seat during the day.  His handwriting and coloring have regressed from the level he was at last year as well.  We've tried taking things away from him ( ipad, bicycle time, playdates, etc) when he gets into trouble at school and it seems to work for a few days but he always resorts back to bad behavior.  I've actually had to spank him 3 times due to spitting on people and lying to us about it.  I hated to do it, but nothing else has worked.  

He was diagnosed with epilepsy in April and was put on Depakote to keep him from having seizures and we are starting to think it may be whats causing the change in behavior.  We don't go back to see the neurologist until December so we are kind of at a loss on what to do to get him to change his behavior.   I knew there would be an adjustment period in his new school but it's been long enough now for him to be used to it.   My wife and I are at our wits end on what to do.    Shit's tough to deal with because we know deep down he's a great kid.  We just don't know what to do anymore.    Ugh.

Hang in there. I am not against spanking kids but this seems like an issue that is beyond the normal being bad just to be bad and spanking him might make his behavior even worse. I know it sounds stupid but a conversation about why he acted this way or that way and why it's wrong has helped in our house. I know not always the easiest or slam dunk solution to every situation but worth a shot. Good luck

Hang in there. I am not against spanking kids but this seems like an issue that is beyond the normal being bad just to be bad and spanking him might make his behavior even worse. I know it sounds stupid but a conversation about why he acted this way or that way and why it's wrong has helped in our house. I know not always the easiest or slam dunk solution to every situation but worth a shot. Good luck

When we ask him why he does it, he says his brain is telling him to do bad things. He tells us he knows it’s wrong but he does it anyway.

5 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

When we ask him why he does it, he says his brain is telling him to do bad things. He tells us he knows it’s wrong but he does it anyway.

That sounds a lot like one of my son's best friends that has been doing similar things at school. I would schedule an appointment with a child therapist and obviously see what the neurologist says. 

He’s gonna trap people in his basement and skin them to make suits.

I know Depakote is a mood altering drug but I thought it calmed you down. At least it seemed to make me a little more patient and chill when I first got on it.

My wife has read this sleep book which has been pretty helpful. It basically works under the premise that babies only have 90-minute alert cycles and if you put them down for naps 90 minutes from when they wake up, it develops better sleeping habits and allows them to learn to sleep. I was pretty skeptical at first, but It seems to work really well which is why we were so surprised by the regression. 

this legit?We (my wife) read to keep the naps per day to a minimal to avoid 4msr...hmm

Our saving grace is that he falls back to sleep pretty easily. Our daughter would be bright eyed after getting a quick 2 hr "snooze" from 1-3am

46 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

this legit?We (my wife) read to keep the naps per day to a minimal to avoid 4msr...hmm

Our saving grace is that he falls back to sleep pretty easily. Our daughter would be bright eyed after getting a quick 2 hr "snooze" from 1-3am

Our results have been positive for the most part. Could it be because he's a better sleeper in general? No idea. Here's the book if you want to give it a read:

CAF7CwAAQBAJ?fife=w200-h300

40 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Our results have been positive for the most part. Could it be because he's a better sleeper in general? No idea. Here's the book if you want to give it a read:

CAF7CwAAQBAJ?fife=w200-h300

Let me know if this works.  The 3 month has never slept normally.  

And she shit on the couch for the third time today.

• Like 1

Go to a child therapist now. Get some parenting idea from them AND some things for the teacher to try. Also, ask the therapist if they think your kid should be tested for Special Education. There is a behavioral component to Special Education now. My kid falls under it and he has been moved to a specialized class that is helping him learn how to deal with school.

PM me if you head down this road. There is a lot to it.

5 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Let me know if this works.  The 3 month has never slept normally.  

And she shit on the couch for the third time today.

This book has worked well for us. In the infant stages, sleep begets sleep. My wife is a sleep nazi. She's read 5 books on infant sleep. She's actually reading this post as I type it and wanting you to email her. 

Edited by LurkingHorn

Ok

The past 3 or 4 nights were getting 4-5 hours of sleep in a row

Ive begun to "co sleep" with him. I wake him up from evening nap about an hr or 2 before bed time. He gets fed before bed then i bounce to"sleep"

The key here is im wearing a hooded sweatshirt. After his eyes are closed for a certain time, we lay in bed.. he in my left arm. I think the sweatshirt is more cozy than a bare arm so he falls asleep easier when bouncing and co sleeping

After laying in bed for 15 or so, i think hes in a deep enough sleep to not wake up every hour.

This has worked better than him just dozing off on the boob, bouncing, swing etc.

I downloaded the relaxio app and have the fan noise going through my phone throughout the night. Little white noise doesnt hurt.

We'll see how tonight goes... he's sound asleep as i write this

Transfer to bassinet was smooth...

On 10/11/2018 at 4:10 PM, HoustonFrog said:

My kid has slept about an hour to hour and a half at a time the past 3 nights. This sucks. Also, at his 4 month appointment he was in the 80th percentile for height, 95th for head circumference, and 3rd percentile for weight. Motherfucker looks like Mr. Mackey. Of course the Dr told my wife and I to start mixing in some formula to up his calorie intake. Wife took that really well...