Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Praise be to jesus.  The newborn is finally sleeping better after we got her reflux medicine changed.  We're a little pissed at the pediatrician for basically blindly prescribing the baby's reflux medicine.  She gave us the medicine that reduces spit up by basically making the baby shit more (from what I understand) and not the one actually reduces the acid in the stomach.  

The thing I learned was that if your baby is dealing with gas issues, pay attention to the type of cry that's coming out of them.  If they're arching their backs and pushing off of everything, odds are it's an overabundance of gas and there are specific types of meds just for this.  Fortunately we had a friend over that works as a GP and they brought it up to us.

The baby has been happy as a clam for the past few days.  She laughed for the first time this morning.  I teared up a little.

• Like 1

Wife took the 5yo boy with her out of town for the weekend. Been awesome with the 2yo, watching Peppa and building towers and overall being lazy as fuck. Had a ‘dance party’ last as I DJ’d via YouTube and she even liked my mix of kaskade, Glass Animals, Walk the Moon, etc.

Funny but I get the feeling her and I will have more similar interests than I will with her brother.

I absolutely love lazy weekends and they are very rare.

• Like 1

Any advice on how to get a kid to tolerate school or at least to like more than lunch, recess and fun Friday??

My son is starting second grade. He has told us more than once he hates school. Any attempt we have made on suggestions to improve his attitude have been shut down with I hate everything about school except lunch and recess. It’s going to be a long 11 years for him if he can’t find something he enjoys about it.

So it is that time of year to drop kids off at school. heard it is brutal. My twins are starting what should probably be called daycare, but it is at a school. Think it will be fine, but I hear it is brutal around Kindergarten age,. Best of luck for all dads doing the drop off, 

Oldest is starting 1st grade. My wife was a first grade teacher for 9 years before we had twins and she “retired”. We didn’t get any of the teachers she wanted. The last 4 days have been a shit show. Meet the teacher last night could have gone better. First day is tomorrow and it’s going to be brutal. Daughter will be great. She’s ready. Just sucks she doesn’t have any friends in her class. All the kids she knows are in other classes. Wife in full freak out mode - searching for other options already. Not like her at all. Going to be a long week.

Any advice on how to get a kid to tolerate school or at least to like more than lunch, recess and fun Friday??

My son is starting second grade. He has told us more than once he hates school. Any attempt we have made on suggestions to improve his attitude have been shut down with I hate everything about school except lunch and recess. It’s going to be a long 11 years for him if he can’t find something he enjoys about it.

Lets be honest, that’s how we all felt. Unless you were a dork. Don’t worry, he’ll add chasing tail to the mix in several years.

Lets be honest, that’s how we all felt. Unless you were a dork. Don’t worry, he’ll add chasing tail to the mix in several years.

1st grade was a shit show, so I can’t really blame him. His emotional maturity was shit and his teacher was not equipped to handle him. He was suspended 3 times. We finally got through the district testing and got him moved to a behavioral class right after spring break last year. He’s there again this year. He’s improved leaps and bounds.

1st grade was a shit show, so I can’t really blame him. His emotional maturity was shit and his teacher was not equipped to handle him. He was suspended 3 times. We finally got through the district testing and got him moved to a behavioral class right after spring break last year. He’s there again this year. He’s improved leaps and bounds.

I’m not there yet. Oldest is 3.5. I am looking forward to not paying daycare but worried about the other shit we will have to deal with.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Boy sounds goofy.

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Oldest is starting 1st grade. My wife was a first grade teacher for 9 years before we had twins and she “retired”. We didn’t get any of the teachers she wanted. The last 4 days have been a shit show. Meet the teacher last night could have gone better. First day is tomorrow and it’s going to be brutal. Daughter will be great. She’s ready. Just sucks she doesn’t have any friends in her class. All the kids she knows are in other classes. Wife in full freak out mode - searching for other options already. Not like her at all. Going to be a long week.

great scott!

god bless those day after labor day Minnesota first days of school at times like this. Mid Aug way too early for this chap

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Never been, but heard about it. Also looks pretty awesome from what I’ve seen. You definitely won’t be “roughing” it.

Not at all. I got a sneak peek before it opened since I was volunteering at Fellowship Church a lot. Bunch of the guys went down for the day and road the bike trails, fished, had lunch and toured the place. This was in 2008. I’m sure it is better now.
For $75 each and 2 nights it’s cheaper than just about anything else I can find.

Fucking 9pm-2am. Every night. Any ideas? Not a fan of the soothing paci. I dont think it's a gas thing because it's like clock work. Obviously it's a phase but my god..

Wakes up at 9 and everything is good. Then between 1230 and 2 its go time and he gets piiissseedd. This is the greatest form of birth control ever made

I think hes currently falling asleep on the boob. Survived another night and advance. Barely

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

They wait a week to assign teachers so it will be a few days before pics of hot kindergarten teacher. But believe me the talent is there.

Out in the land of the MILFs and honey, the moms put on their best look for first day drop offs. Sorry guys, no pics. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
4 hours ago, EE2B said:
How old?

9 weeks. Dude sleeps like a champ once we get him down(5-6 hrs between feedings)..its just this late night surge of energy that sucks ass

My kid is 9 weeks and thankfully doesn’t do that shit.

• Like 1

First kid starting at AISD next week.  I got a text for AISD alerts - is this shit real or some phishing scam?

Kid is going into the Mandarin Immersion program.  I looked at some workbooks/flash cards and it completely sunk in that I will be useless in trying to help him with any of the Mandarin stuff at all.  The symbols all look the same to me.  Hope that kid is smart.  

My boys start school next Monday. Oldest is starting 4th grade and the youngest 3rd.

Good luck to all the new dads out there, it gets easier fellas. If you have boys it’ll be in no time when they just start pissing everywhere (trees, fences, AC units) cause their “boys” and girls can’t do that.

Enjoy them in all their craziness! 

First kid starting at AISD next week.  I got a text for AISD alerts - is this shit real or some phishing scam?
Kid is going into the Mandarin Immersion program.  I looked at some workbooks/flash cards and it completely sunk in that I will be useless in trying to help him with any of the Mandarin stuff at all.  The symbols all look the same to me.  Hope that kid is smart.  
They do send legit text messages. I don't know about the one you got obv.

Dropped my 5 year old daughter off at school for her first day of Kindergarten today.  She's been at her daycare since she was 6 weeks old so this is her first time in a new place.  I'm a fucking nervous wreck.  They should let the parent stay with the child on the first day of kindergarten.  To my daughter's credit she was ecstatic to go.  She has been talking about it for months.  Even made her own lunch this morning.

I was a bit nervous when my 1-yr-old son had his first day at daycare. I was a little less nervous when my 12-wk-old daughter had her first day at the same day care.

When my kids start kindergarten, I'll be too busy thinking about how I'm going to spend that extra money in my bank account rather than be nervous.

• Like 1

6th grade and 3rd grade boys. Start Monday.

One observation is some of y'all are rushing the shit out of potty training. That's a lot of pressure for you and your kids.  You're starting a child raising marathon not a sprint.

The best part of back to school as a frequent traveler is the summer hordes of families that don't know what the fuck they are doing in an airport is over until the holidays.

Rough day in the MailRoom.  No. 2 wasn’t happy all day.  Time to visit the ENT to try to get reflux under control. 

Ironically, the wife and I are getting closer because of it.  It’s very much a “we’re in this shit together” mentality at this point. 

Kids are the best form of birth control.

My 22 month old sleeps from 8 to 8 every night, with a 3 hour nap.  Fucking awesome sleeper.

The last 3 nights there has been massive regression.  She seems terrified to go to bed.  If we leave the room, she flips out and starts pointing to the chair in the corner of her room for us to sit.  She will not go to bed without us in the room and if she wakes up and we're not there she starts screaming.  We're trying to balance getting her (and us) some sleep and her using us as a crutch.  If it was just her not wanting to go to bed, I don't let her pull that, but she seems legitimate terrified about us leaving her. 

Anyone else experienced this?  Any tips?  Just ride it out the best we can?

no tip here..When i had to pretend sleep for my girl when she was in her 2's,  Id lay on the floor by the crib then crab walk out trying not to make a peep when leaving when I thought she was asleep.

maybe do that and then put some stuffed animals under a blanket so shed think that was you?  she now sleeps 10ish to 11ish every day and its so awesome. whenever she has a lapse or two in a row, we feel its the end of the world.

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM