Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just don't think this is going to happen.  Dodds' great contribution to UT was the LHF, which was designed to decouple BMD from outsized influence.  It didn't work for that purpose because BMD have "too many ways in."  If CDC tells them to pound sand, they go to Hartzell or whoever is President.  If both tell him to pound sand, they go to the Regents.  They threaten to withhold all contributions.  They threaten CDC's job.  And so on and so forth.

When Deloss took over UT athletics , gross revenues were $1mil. Then he stepped aside, gross revenues were at $200 mil.

At this point, the AD at UT Austin can tell any “BMD” to go fuck themself. UT athletics is essentially self funding. No one “BMD” has the ability to demand their individual agenda matter. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

27 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

When Deloss took over UT athletics , gross revenues were $1mil. Then he stepped aside, gross revenues were at $200 mil.

At this point, the AD at UT Austin can tell any “BMD” to go fuck themself. UT athletics is essentially self funding. No one “BMD” has the ability to demand their individual agenda matter. 

It is also leverage outside of athletics.  Until our net profit number exceeds 10% substantially, we don't really have fuck you money.

• Like 2

"Chris Del Conte needs to up his game. He needs to tell the donors with a shit record of hiring head coaches their services are no longer needed on the 40 Acres. He needs to restructure UT athletics."  

I think he can easily do this.  The question will be whether the  president will agree with CDC.  If the two men agree on this strategy, then problem solved.   Where is the offended BMD gonna go?  The Joe Jamail of the 2020s is not walking through that door, mostly because Texas almost certainly will not feel it if a BMD pulls his money.  $200 million annual?  Imo, not a chance a BMD is pulling more than about 15% of this amount from supporting the program.  If a BMD did pull 15%, then CDC should meet with the prez and agree to say goodbye.  Once Texas says goodbye to $30 million a year, then the rest of the BMDs will fold, and the money will continue to flow in.  We have finally reached the age of the AD realistically acting as THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, not a babysitter of BMDs.  

He really should do this....and now.  Hey, maybe he already has done this?  Anybody think that is a possibility? 

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Do you really think that would be an option for an AD anywhere? Ridiculous. Donors know other donors.

AD's that want to stay employed spend a lot more time trying to get more donations and listening to donors than telling them to fuck themselves.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The bloat is the salary drain from the political hires.

I remember it being reported on TOS that the UT AD had more than twice the number of employees than TCU had under CDC. It was widely agreed that UT probably needed more than TCU, but more along the lines of 25% more. That can’t be blamed entirely (or even mostly) on political hires. There were other areas of suspected bloat and waste. There are other football blue bloods that support more sports than UT football does on less revenue... tens of million less.

Ask CDC about that for ol’ ImWP. 

5 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

I have a deep problem with Chris taking money from 200 staff member because of "financial necessity," then in less than 90 days finding "unlimited funds" to fire Tom Herman and hire Sarkisian. In my mind, he needs to address that issue.

If I was a BMD, I would have no qualms about donating millions to hire Sark & Co. As you have pointed out, the millions to pay off Herman & Co. will come out of general operating revenue over a period of years. I realize it’s a bit of a shell game, but the salary reductions are a separate issue. The BMD (private and corporate) are writing big checks for specific projects (including the Sark Project), not to prop up an overpaid, bloated staff. That’s what we Schmucks are for. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

8 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

"No one BMD".... Sure.

But a large group of similar minded BMDs united behind a single idea? Well, they sure could hold some leverage and do some damage if they wished.

6 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Do you really think that would be an option for an AD anywhere? Ridiculous. Donors know other donors.

AD's that want to stay employed spend a lot more time trying to get more donations and listening to donors than telling them to fuck themselves.

I agree with you.  Strong engagement can translate far beyond just the donations directly given to the university.  I can understand an athletic director wanting to not have to rely on BMDs at all, but I don't think that's easy at all.  Frankly, I'm not sure that a strong group of highly successful BMDs (perhaps some with decades in the community) might actually be smarter about UT football than a newbie athletic director without deep and lasting ties to the city/community.  I mean, didn't CDC allow the idea of Stoops?  Would any BMD or frankly most normal people that just know and love the team (and history) in general not realize the folly of exploring that option?  Certainly some BMDs are probably more negative than positive, but that's probably something that can be taken case by case I would hope...

On 1/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, Randolph Duke said:

The bloat is the salary drain from the political hires. As I’ve said, I’ve requested the 2020 financials for about 40 schools. I’m interested to see those numbers.

I stand by my earlier comments that CDC was wrong in taking money from employee pay, and then magically discovering unlimited funds to confer inter-generational wealth to yet another football coach, with no consideration whatsoever to fulfilling the obligations to the staff we desperately need to “up their game.”

The one who needs to “up their game” is CDC.

guess what, its apparent that the employees that got their pay cut don't have enough value and sarkisian apparently does have that value.  CDC fired Herman and is conferring inter-generational wealth to Sarkisian because CDC/Hartzell think he's worth it. nothing more, nothing less.

If those employees, that had their pay cut, were in any position to make sure CDC's job was secure they wouldn't get their pay cut.  They can always leave and find another job.

CDC could have hired Sterlin Gilbert(yet another football coach) for 2M per if he wanted but he didn't because he's not worth it and it would get him fired.

you could tell those employees to play football and get history degree from State U and if they are good enough and have enough drive they could make inter-generational wealth being a head coach at a top 10 P5 program in 25 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

A fair amount of complaints about CDC in the 2022 recruiting thread kicked off by the non hire of Drew Hughes, better served here. 

Without rehashing all of it, I do find it troubling that there are now 2 hires that sark has made and has had to undo. CDC seems to be central in both cases. 

I would call the outcome of the Stoops thing more lulz/shenanigans than troubling.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, dcar00 said:

guess what, its apparent that the employees that got their pay cut don't have enough value and sarkisian apparently does have that value.  CDC fired Herman and is conferring inter-generational wealth to Sarkisian because CDC/Hartzell think he's worth it. nothing more, nothing less.

If those employees, that had their pay cut, were in any position to make sure CDC's job was secure they wouldn't get their pay cut.  They can always leave and find another job.

CDC could have hired Sterlin Gilbert(yet another football coach) for 2M per if he wanted but he didn't because he's not worth it and it would get him fired.

you could tell those employees to play football and get history degree from State U and if they are good enough and have enough drive they could make inter-generational wealth being a head coach at a top 10 P5 program in 25 years.

Then why doesn't CDC talk honestly with the "rank and file" and say what you said? If CDC wanted to "cut dead weight" from the bloated Bellmont staff, why did he not chose the "honest communication with those affected and with the alumni" option? I don't want a chickenshit AD. I want and honest AD who sets an example for others to follow.

I want an honest person in that million dollar (plus) per year position of responsibility. I want an honest AD who will talk openly with those who are supposedly engaged with University of Texas athletics. Many of us aren't in the "Million Dollar Public Employee club" but many of us are the exact individuals UT athletics desperately needs to fund its athletics programs.

The biggest crisis UT athletics is faced with is the need to connect with young alumni donors who will (hopefully) fund the various programs over the next generation. Not being open and not being honest with the alumni will have massively negative ramifications.

If Chris Del Conte doesn't understand the need for transparency, honesty, and open communications with the alumni base, UT athletics is in very deep trouble.

Right now, I'm not comfortable he does.

And as increasing numbers of alumni get the same impression, (hopefully) increasing numbers of us will come to the conclusion transparent, open and honest communication from the University AD is something we value.

The pandering to every whim of the "BMDs," regardless of what misguided coaching hire the BMDs insist on (our BMDs have a HORRIBLE track record) and the dishonesty with alumni is a cancer.

UT athletics will never do well as long as CDC continues to feed that cancer and ignore the long term interests of the various athletics programs.

Edited by Randolph Duke

11 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

An astonishing number of you don't understand the difference between revenue and profit. 

Good grief.  Major athletic departments don't run without BMDs.  That this has to be explained to adults is completely perplexing.  

Of that $200M in revenue, looks like a cool $50M came from donations.  That's, uh, 25% of revenue, and more than double our profit.

Without that, we go from profitable to pretty deeply in the red.  A lot of that is "grass roots," but the article notes a singular donation of $6.5M.

So, yeah, CDC could try to push out BMD.  It's probably the right thing to do in some sense.  But even if he could muster the consensus to do it, they'd weasel back in.  They're ultimately too persistent, and regrettably, important.

44 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Can someone summarize the Drew Hughes saga over here, to save having to search for that needle in the haystack that the Recruiting threads are?

19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Burton on Player Personnel Director

Hide contents

Inside Texas has learned that Drew Hughes is no longer expected to become the director of player personnel for the Longhorns under coach Steve Sarkisian.

Hughes, previously the player personnel at South Carolina, was expected to take the Texas job before NCAA compliance at Texas did not clear him. Hughes was at Tennessee for a couple of years and the Volunteers are currently going through an exhaustive review process with the NCAA.

Arkansas had also shown some interest in Hughes but he is actually expected to land in the NFL.

While there will be many possibilities for Sarkisian to choose from, expect the solution to be a disciple of Ed Marynowitz. Marynowitz is considered the dean of college football player personnel departments, revolutionizing the position in college sports under Nick Saban. Marynowitz now works for CAA super agent Jimmy Sexton and ostensibly helps coaches fill out their personnel staffs.

Per many CDC nixed out of unwarranted fear. 

The Texas BMDs are more than fulfilling their role.  Texas' problem is that the administration has so far been unwilling to entirely implement the model followed by all of the other elite programs in the country.  Texas is certainly catching up but the Hughes fiasco suggests that CDC and others remain inclined to try to compete with our purported peers with one hand tied behind their back.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Then why doesn't CDC talk honestly with the "rank and file" and say what you said? If CDC wanted to "cut dead weight" from the bloated Bellmont staff, why did he not chose the "honest communication with those affected and with the alumni" option? I don't want a chickenshit AD. I want and honest AD who sets an example for others to follow.

I want an honest person in that million dollar (plus) per year position of responsibility. I want an honest AD who will talk openly with those who are supposedly engaged with University of Texas athletics. Many of us aren't in the "Million Dollar Public Employee club" but many of us are the exact individuals UT athletics desperately needs to fund its athletics programs.

The biggest crisis UT athletics is faced with is the need to connect with young alumni donors who will (hopefully) fund the various programs over the next generation. Not being open and not being honest with the alumni will have massively negative ramifications.

If Chris Del Conte doesn't understand the need for transparency, honesty, and open communications with the alumni base, UT athletics is in very deep trouble.

Right now, I'm not comfortable he does.

And as increasing numbers of alumni get the same impression, (hopefully) increasing numbers of us will come to the conclusion transparent, open and honest communication from the University AD is something we value.

The pandering to every whim of the "BMDs," regardless of what misguided coaching hire the BMDs insist on (our BMDs have a HORRIBLE track record) and the dishonesty with alumni is a cancer.

UT athletics will never do well as long as CDC continues to feed that cancer and ignore the long term interests of the various athletics programs.

you are looking for honest people in positions of power at the university?  good fucking luck..there aren't any.

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This. 

Some of you fucking idiots are either biased by shitty economic grasps that can’t handle basic tenets of capitalism or too stupid to have opinions on shit like this. Nothing happens successfully at a program of this size without big money donors. Nothing. The org is paralyzed without the donor support and would have to cut all the way through muscle and into bone in order to find a way to manage without it. 

People receiving pay cuts or winding up as fat being trimmed from the org shouldn’t have probably been around that fat bloated org in the first place. Sometimes, organizations creep into leviathan status and need to be shocked back into health. The UT AD from Dodds up to the CDC era epitomized bureaucratic creep. As much as I think CDC has been a buffoon with the football program, cleaning out the fat and trash in the org has been necessary. 

Every other fucking school would kill for the depth and breadth of the UT donor base. They’re not the fucking problem. The premise of them meddling in all things sports is a tired trope with no basis in fact these days. They’re there when they’re needed, and they do what is asked. They’re fucking loyal and smart. I’d rather have them than the Catholic church breathing down the AD’s neck or one major donor calling all of the shots or a conference commissioner determining our outcomes or ESPN telling us what we will and will not do. Give me our BMD problems compared to any of that shit. 

“Oh noes, big bloated org cut some head count and still pays market for talent and is developing an ‘up or out’ mentality based on performance for its staff, whatever will we do about these meanies!” Get the fuck out of here with that dickless handwringing. 

but the little people!  what about the little people?!?!

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

An astonishing number of you don't understand the difference between revenue and profit. 

Good grief.  Major athletic departments don't run without BMDs.  That this has to be explained to adults is completely perplexing.  

You are surprised?  Instead of having 4 years of English in High School and a half semester of Economics.  I propose we flip it or at least say you can substitute the foreign language requirement for Economics(straight how the govt, banks and money works Economics, not the bullshit kind)

59 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

You are surprised?  Instead of having 4 years of English in High School and a half semester of Economics.  I propose we flip it or at least say you can substitute the foreign language requirement for Economics(straight how the govt, banks and money works Economics, not the bullshit kind)

What's the bullshit kind?

39 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Even if correct, why the hire and then un-hire clown show?  Coach and AD or AD and hire ups not on the same page, again 

oh, no doubt, no excuse for that-- that discussion needs to be "Chris, for my Director of Player Personnel, I was thinking I'd hire someone with (Hughes' resume)" not "Chris, guess who I hired to run player personnel??? No, not him. Nope. Nope! Think Music City Bowl, or Taxslayer Bowl, or no bowl at all, that kind of season!"

2 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

Even if correct, why the hire and then un-hire clown show?  Coach and AD or AD and hire ups not on the same page, again 

Do you expect CDC or anyone else to know the universe of assistants etc. so that he can preemptively say "don't touch that guy, Steve."

By necessity, names are going to come up and some are going to get kiboshed.  

Then you add in the media circus that creates a "done deal" out of any kind of consideration, even fictitious, non-existent consideration. and it looks a little off.  Going back to the Stoops deal, the only source we have for that is apparently Stoops himself and the Alabama reporter.  Rather than being a "you're hired, oops, no you're not," I'm thinking it's far more likely that he was briefly under consideration, prematurely packed his bags and started running his mouth, and then was told to fuck off.

Some of you people really like to fit the facts to your preconceived notion that Del Conte is a fuck up or out of his depth.  What's astonishing, too, is that we have no basis for comparison.  He's knocking it out of the fucking park compared to his three immediate predecessors.  And other than maybe the Alabama AD, who just has to fine tune the machine with Saban, there's not many you can point to that are doing a better job.  Auburn's AD?  GMAFB.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Do you expect CDC or anyone else to know the universe of assistants etc. so that he can preemptively say "don't touch that guy, Steve."

By necessity, names are going to come up and some are going to get kiboshed.  

Then you add in the media circus that creates a "done deal" out of any kind of consideration, even fictitious, non-existent consideration. and it looks a little off.  Going back to the Stoops deal, the only source we have for that is apparently Stoops himself and the Alabama reporter.  Rather than being a "you're hired, oops, no you're not," I'm thinking it's far more likely that he was briefly under consideration, prematurely packed his bags and started running his mouth, and then was told to fuck off.

Some of you people really like to fit the facts to your preconceived notion that Del Conte is a fuck up or out of his depth.  What's astonishing, too, is that we have no basis for comparison.  He's knocking it out of the fucking park compared to his three immediate predecessors.  And other than maybe the Alabama AD, who just has to fine tune the machine with Saban, there's not many you can point to that are doing a better job.  Auburn's AD?  GMAFB.

You are a great poster.  You are just wrong about this here as it relates to Stoops.  Like Factually wrong. 

I think your last paragraph is an actual opinion and wrong too, but you are entitled to that.  I might be wrong and you might be correct. 

On 2/4/2021 at 3:09 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

You are a great poster.  You are just wrong about this here as it relates to Stoops.  Like Factually wrong. 

I think your last paragraph is an actual opinion and wrong too, but you are entitled to that.  I might be wrong and you might be correct. 

I followed the Stoops thing pretty close.  There were almost no actual facts, rather some speculation ("expected to be hired") from a single source, Matt Zenitz.  No one else reported it except through Zenitz, although that story got repeated far and wide.  He may have been brought up and relatively promptly kiboshed, but I don't believe he was actually hired and then "unhired."  That just reeks of the usual internet bullshit.

The final paragraph is, indeed, my opinion.  You can maybe quibble about Del Conte relative to Dodds' entire body of work, but not to his coaching hires.  Mike White, Vic Shaefer, and Edrick Floreal are better hires than Dodds ever made in secondary sports, and he made some pretty weak hires in football before Mack and that is purported to be a BMD hire rather than really a Doods hire.  And Del Conte does, in fact, kick the shit out of Perrin, God love him, and that awful bastard Patterson.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I followed the Stoops thing pretty close.  There were almost no actual facts, rather some speculation ("expected to be hired") from a single source, Matt Zenitz.  No one else reported it except through Zenitz, although that story got repeated far and wide.  He may have been brought up and relatively promptly kiboshed, but I don't believe he was actually hired and then "unhired."  That just reeks of the usual internet bullshit.

The final paragraph is, indeed, my opinion.  You can maybe quibble about Del Conte relative to Dodds' entire body of work, but not to his coaching hires.  Mike White, Vic Shaefer, and Edrick Floreal are better hires than Dodds ever made in secondary sports, and he made some pretty weak hires in football before Mack and that is purported to be a BMD hire rather than really a Doods hire.  And Del Conte does, in fact, kick the shit out of Perrin, God love him, and that awful bastard Patterson.

You're doing it wrong.  You are supposed to give CDC all of the blame when things don't go well, and when they actually do work out, which is obviously an extremely rare occurrence under his watch, you are supposed to emphasize how he single-handedly almost caused an epic failure, and that all successes are in spite of his involvement.  Get it right next time.  

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You are at an information deficit here regarding Stoops. I say that IRL contacts not message board or 9.95 guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are at an information deficit here regarding Stoops. I say that IRL contacts not message board or 9.95 guys. 

Well that may be the case.  But, with all due respect, "contacts" have fed us insane amounts of speculation and pure bullshit the last few months.

I don't recall the Stoops thing being reported here via "contacts," but instead through stories always tracking back to Matt Zenitz.  And I did my own research.

In the event, even if Stoops had been tentatively hired, it was promptly kiboshed overnight.  Might it have been preferable that he never have been contacted or discussed at all?  Sure.  Or in a leaky arena?  Sure.

Which gets back to my original point, which is Del Conte can't realistically maintain a blacklist of coaches and hand it to Sarkisian and say "none of these guys."  Or keep such tabs on tentative hiring decisions that he can move against them faster than overnight.

Even if Del Conte somehow completely fucked up the Stoops thing, I'd be willing to bet that Bellmont is a complete chaotic clusterfuck of phone calls, emails, meetings etc. coming in and out of all corners of the building and it's forgivable if there is a minor, impermanent fuckup.

I just find it kind of amusing, and fundamentally unfair, that whenever there is FUD flying around Bellmont, the one sure thing is that Crystal Conte is incompetent and fucked it up.  A goodly number of us treat him like he was Chip Brown.

Two things give me optimism about Del Conte relative to the whole HFC hiring saga.  First is that Sarkisian seems to be an inspired and unobvious hire among a sea of somewhat obvious and uninspiring choices.  The second is the almost complete absence of leaks from the process, until after Sarkisian was hired.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not gonna claim to know anything about Stoops and i tend to think everyone involved is an idiot for even giving it consideration, but it is a funny conundrum to find yourself in when a bunch of message board guys are saying "believe us, this is how it went down you moron". No matter how much they seem to know what they are saying it still isn't a legit source of info and you can't blame someone for being skeptical.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm not gonna claim to know anything about Stoops and i tend to think everyone involved is an idiot for even giving it consideration, but it is a funny conundrum to find yourself in when a bunch of message board guys are saying "believe us, this is how it went down you moron". No matter how much they seem to know what they are saying it still isn't a legit source of info and you can't blame someone for being skeptical.

Sure. But look at the people who are talking. 
1) I’ve never claimed to know anything insider on here. 

2) lots of people that have had the goods before confirming in not sourced to the same guy ways 

3) this was the second go round with bringing in Stoops. After round 1 it should have been a no fly when that furor rose up. 

it was a bad job by all, bottom line. 

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.  "We may know shit, but whatever happened, we know for sure that Del Conte fucked it up."  It really is like a serious version of FCB.

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well that may be the case.  But, with all due respect, "contacts" have fed us insane amounts of speculation and pure bullshit the last few months.

I don't recall the Stoops thing being reported here via "contacts," but instead through stories always tracking back to Matt Zenitz.  And I did my own research.

In the event, even if Stoops had been tentatively hired, it was promptly kiboshed overnight.  Might it have been preferable that he never have been contacted or discussed at all?  Sure.  Or in a leaky arena?  Sure.

Which gets back to my original point, which is Del Conte can't realistically maintain a blacklist of coaches and hand it to Sarkisian and say "none of these guys."  Or keep such tabs on tentative hiring decisions that he can move against them faster than overnight.

Even if Del Conte somehow completely fucked up the Stoops thing, I'd be willing to bet that Bellmont is a complete chaotic clusterfuck of phone calls, emails, meetings etc. coming in and out of all corners of the building and it's forgivable if there is a minor, impermanent fuckup.

I just find it kind of amusing, and fundamentally unfair, that whenever there is FUD flying around Bellmont, the one sure thing is that Crystal Conte is incompetent and fucked it up.  A goodly number of us treat him like he was Chip Brown.

Two things give me optimism about Del Conte relative to the whole HFC hiring saga.  First is that Sarkisian seems to be an inspired and unobvious hire among a sea of somewhat obvious and uninspiring choices.  The second is the almost complete absence of leaks from the process, until after Sarkisian was hired.

The fact that CDC even let stoops get to that point after he was told Stoops was a non-starter is the troublesome part. Couple that with other things CTJ has told us regarding Del Conte it all starts to add up. 

Good thing that Bama guy put that article out when he did or we'd be looking at Stoops on the staff. Also thank goodness the BMD's immediately blew up Hartzell and CDC phones.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The fact that CDC even let stoops get to that point after he was told Stoops was a non-starter is the troublesome part. Couple that with other things CTJ has told us regarding Del Conte it all starts to add up. 

Good thing that Bama guy put that article out when he did or we'd be looking at Stoops on the staff. Also thank goodness the BMD's immediately blew up Hartzell and CDC phones.

Do you see how many assumptions are packed into this post?

And, I enjoy CTJ as much as the next guy, and don't think he's bullshitting anyone, but he was not exactly Mr. Accuracy in this saga.