Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

I saw CDC walking through the fan section tonight at the Disch.  He was friendly with fans and would stop and chat with anyone who went up to him.  He also asked us how we were enjoying the game experience.  Really great guy.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, Machinator said:

What’s the deal with soccer?  We’ve basically always sucked at that, right?  Or so I just not notice when we are ok. 
Do we just still not have enough kids playing it in high school?  Facilities?  Coaches?  Lack of

also having a men’s team? 

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s the deal with soccer?  We’ve basically always sucked at that, right?  Or so I just not notice when we are ok. 
Do we just still not have enough kids playing it in high school?  Facilities?  Coaches?  Lack of

I don't follow the team, but the coach is a weak link.

Just wiki’d it...

28 years

14 ncaa tournaments

4 sweet 16’s. 

10 years in a row from 2001-2011 where we had all our sweet 16’s and conference championships. Since then 4 tournaments in the last 8 or 9 years. 1 regular season and 2 big 12 title tournaments. 
current coach 8 years on the job. Clearly doesn’t meet standards as laid out for our program by CDC. Interesting to see what (if anything) he does. 

1) Texas has always been historically bad in women's soccer. When Texas hired Petrucelli from ND it was considered a massive hire. ND finished NCAA runner up, NCAA champions, NCAA runner up, NCAA semifinals, and NCAA quarters in the years prior to Texas hiring Petrucelli. 

Petrucelli had some success at Texas with a few sweet 16s but nowhere close to the success he had at ND. 

So something is in play with that particular sport. Generally speaking, I think it has a lot to do with not having a men's team/soccer culture. 

2) Texas wasn't going to pull the trigger with Kelly until this recruiting class made it to campus in '21. It's the best recruiting class Texas has ever landed by a mile. The #1, #2, #9 and #10 recruits are in the '21 class. Byars and Missimo might both be USWNT players. 

I've seen CDC RT tweets about Missimo so I get the feeling he knows that recruiting class is loaded. Kelly should definitely be fired if she can't win with the roster next year but I can understand wanting to get that '21 class to campus. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Recruiting isn't a problem in Texas. A lot of the top soccer clubs are in Texas these days (Solar, Sting, Texans, FC Dallas, Lonestar). 

Solar, I believe, has the top women's soccer club in U18 and U17. 

The recruiting class Texas just signed is almost all Solar players. Regardless of what happens, hopefully Texas can keep that connection because any competent coach should be able to win with the talent coming from clubs like Solar.  

22 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

Missimo played for Texas this year, she was a midterm enrollee.  Looked like the best player on the team in the short time she got to play.

She played in the Spring but didn't in the Fall. 

Unsurprisingly, Texas was much better once Missimo joined the team. They went 3-0 with Missimo and 4-5 without her. It was against weaker competition but it was fairly obvious Texas was a much better team with Missimo. 

She was the #1 recruit for a reason but a lot of people think she's been the best player in the country since she was like 14. Byars is just as good which is insane for a college team. There really should be no reason Kelly shouldn't win with that roster next year or she's a terrible coach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hats off to CDC.  UT Athletics is kicking ass right now and there is reason to be very optimistic about the future, including the big sports. 

I wish I could get emotionally invested in sports other than football. I've tried over the years. I'm just not capable of it. I'm really worried about the Sark hire and the next 2 football seasons. I'm jealous of you guys that can be pacified by success in other sports. 

31 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I wish I could get emotionally invested in sports other than football. I've tried over the years. I'm just not capable of it. I'm really worried about the Sark hire and the next 2 football seasons. I'm jealous of you guys that can be pacified by success in other sports. 

🙄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Noogman said:

You must hate happiness. Football shitting the bed over the last decade has made it that much easier to root for sports that actually win (or at least put themselves in a position to do so). People shit on LHN all the time, but that's what the network was built for, highlighting non-revenue/Olympic sports. 

I get the impression most people on this board would trade all of the success in those sports for perennial success on the football field.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I get the impression most people on this board would trade all of the success in those sports for perennial success on the football field.

Not me. I mean, yes, HELL yes, I want to see consistent success in Football...but also continued dominance in S&D, T&F, VBall, Baseball, Hoops, Crew, Golf and everyone’s favorite, Quidditch.

And while they’re at it, add Wns Gymnastics. With all the freaking Olympic level training going on in the DFW & HOU areas, I’d think they could be quite the magnet for potential Olympians. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And while they’re at it, add Wns Gymnastics. With all the freaking Olympic level training going on in the DFW & HOU areas, I’d think they could be quite the magnet for potential Olympians. 

I’d hazard a guess that most gymnasts with a shot at the Olympic team aren’t going to risk switching coaches and having to train under NCAA limits on their time commitment.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d hazard a guess that most gymnasts with a shot at the Olympic team aren’t going to risk switching coaches and having to train under NCAA limits on their time commitment.

College aged gymnasts are usually too old to have any Olympic dreams.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

No shit and twice on Sunday. 

yes, from an athletics standpoint, I'd rather be Ohio State than Stanford

Ohio State has teams in tons of sports (they had more than thirty varsity programs at a time when we were capped at I think 20) and competes nationally in most of them, but "ooh we're really good at water polo and our girls teams won five national championships last year" will NEVER mitigate "our football team went 8-4" there. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yes, from an athletics standpoint, I'd rather be Ohio State than Stanford

Ohio State has teams in tons of sports (they had more than thirty varsity programs at a time when we were capped at I think 20) and competes nationally in most of them, but "ooh we're really good at water polo and our girls teams won five national championships last year" will NEVER mitigate "our football team went 8-4" there. 

I'd rather be Texas, and get to the point where we don't have to envy anyone's athletic department.