Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

CDC and Hartzell say, "Sarkisian was thoroughly vetted". What, exactly, does that mean and what did the vetting process entail? Did we hire a private detective to tail him for a couple of weeks to ensure sobriety?

They had a long talk with his sponsor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The guy we wanted said no. 

Everyone else would be a coin flip.

I was trying to be kind.  he's less than a coin flip(as would be some others) and includes red flags but whatever. same ol' same ol'.  we hired the hot coordinator.  maybe it will work out.

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Hey CDC.  Just let Sark know that Charlie and Tom fkd up their initial OC hires.  Help him not do that.  Also don't hire Stoops.  Please tell coach to call Ewers and if a call to Tommy Brock would be good.  Also lets recruit SEC states for d line talent.

Sarks most important hire will be defense coordinator.  If he gets that right he’s gonna be good.  

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ll never in my life be impressed again by coaches giving good answers at press conferences, practice reports, or reports/videos of strength & conditioning workouts. Win some fucking games.

Yes, press conferences are kind of worthless for new hires unless they tell you specifically who their assistant coaching hires are going to be and whether they are going to run a 4-3 or a 3-4. Nothing that couldn't be learned outside of a tweet.

Sark said all the right things but so did our last two hires. Strong preached of cleansing the program of guys with poor ethical standards, and we all applauded the purge of players with "Mack brown stink" only to see Strong lead the team to 3 consecutive losing seasons culminating with one of the program's most embarrassing losses in its 100+ year storied history in a loss to Kansas. Then we bring in Herman who promised to bring Texas "back", and we all felt this Mensa member, if nothing else, would be a great schemer and smart game day coach. Instead he opens his tenure at Texas with an embarrasing home loss to Maryland which ultimately set the tone for the next 4 years. 

What's concerning the most to me is that Strong and Herman's odds of success seemed like 6 sided di where at least 4 of those sides were winners, yet we crapped out on both. Sark is a coin flip, and I feel less confident about him than I did with Strong and Herman to bring Texas back to an annual conference contender. I sincerely hope for the best and Sark leads us to our first Big 12 championship since 2009 by 2024 but yeah...I need to see some wins on the field before I start to believe. Only way he'll win over Longhorn fans is by winning on the field as opposed to preaching about culture like the last two hires were able to get away with from the start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sark said all the right things but so did our last two hires.

Assistant coach hires speak louder than words. That is how he will win over UT fans. Hell the last two guys had tons of the fanbase bailing on them on this alone, long before they were losing to Maryland or getting blown out by BYU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Assistant coach hires speak louder than words. That is how he will win over UT fans. Hell the last two guys had tons of the fanbase bailing on them on this alone, long before they were losing to Maryland or getting blown out by BYU.

Mack Brown was the coach getting blown out by BYU, not Strong or Herman.

Edited by Royal With Cheese

10 minutes ago, Royal With Cheese said:

Mack Brown was the coach getting blown out by BYU, not Strong or Herman.

Wrong. Strong got blown out by BYU in his secind game. I was specifically mentioning thier first losses.

But Strong got blown out so many times I don't blame you for getting confused.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah, if he hires the staff that has been rumored, we're probably going to be ok as long as he doesn't relapse.  If he understands that the biggest advantage about coaching at a big name school is using the money to hire great coordinators and position coaches instead of your pals, then there is hope.  The names on that list would weaponize Texas recruiting maybe to a level even beyond peak Mack Brown.

Edited by kevwun

It's very likely to end in spectacular failure with Sark and CDC being fired, but there are also scenarios where it works out.  Like he stays sober, hires a good staff and we finally start recruiting like the NCAA is a toothless organization that doesn't actually enforce any of it's own rules.  I can see a path to victory.  I don't think it's particularly likely, but it's there and at least I never had to look at Tom Herman in a Texas shirt again.

Edited by kevwun

6 hours ago, stork642 said:

Sarks most important hire will be defense coordinator.  If he gets that right he’s gonna be good.  

According to the coach all of Surly was clamoring for, this is wrong. Urb was very vocal about the most important component to long term success was an elite S&C coach/staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ll never in my life be impressed again by coaches giving good answers at press conferences, practice reports, or reports/videos of strength & conditioning workouts. Win some fucking games.

Well, Charlie’s first press conference immediately threw up red flags. 

Paraphrasing some posters:

I think this is a terrible hire, but if we can score more points than the other team in all  our games, it’ll be a good hire. 

Reality: this is a terrible hire, and Sark’s W-L record would be even uglier if he hadn’t had Jake Locker.

10 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Hey CDC.  Just let Sark know that Charlie and Tom fkd up their initial OC hires.  Help him not do that.  Also don't hire Stoops.  Please tell coach to call Ewers and if a call to Tommy Brock would be good.  Also lets recruit SEC states for d line talent.

Sark will operate like Lincoln Riley. So I think our staff makeup will be like at OU. 

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Did you actually listen to Charlie’s introductory press conference?  He seemed...overwhelmed by it all. 

That was my huge oh shit moment in my gut that Texas hired the wrong guy with Strong followed by his numerous bad loses, and for Herman it was when he sledge hammered the locker room which told me he had wrong priorities from the start followed by his loss to Maryland at home.  

you'll be alone.  The fanbois love to jizz their shorts over this stuff.  

• Rage+1 1

You guys do realize that the whole Texas job is fuckstomp everyone but OU and maybe an OOC game with pure talent advantage and in 3 maybe 4 games a year actually coaching well and making in game adjustments. 

If they just let the best players play with simple plays it would be better than what Herman was doing. Sark knows how to play with elite talent and he knows what to expect with elite talent. He coached the NFL and Sabans NFL like squads. He knows how to make playmakers playmakers. The rest will take care of itself. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

You guys do realize that the whole Texas job is fuckstomp everyone but OU and maybe an OOC game with pure talent advantage and in 3 maybe 4 games a year actually coaching well and making in game adjustments. 

If they just let the best players play with simple plays it would be better than what Herman was doing. Sark knows how to play with elite talent and he knows what to expect with elite talent. He coached the NFL and Sabans NFL like squads. He knows how to make playmakers playmakers. The rest will take care of itself. 

I always joked around when I told people most of this job is hiring competent assistant coaches and just unleashing the recruiting machine. This is sadly something Herman and Strong could not do. Just avoid stepping on your own dick with Watson, Orlando or whomever and a lot of this takes care of itself. 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I always joked around when I told people most of this job is hiring competent assistant coaches and just unleashing the recruiting machine. This is sadly something Herman and Strong could not do. Just avoid stepping on your own dick with Watson, Orlando or whomever and a lot of this takes care of itself. 

This is why mack did well until he didn't. We want mack 2.0, excluding the manic depressive mack era that is 2010+. He didn't suck until he checked out. We need not checked out mack brown 2.0, that's a bar I think Sark can meet. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

This is why mack did well until he didn't. We want mack 2.0, excluding the manic depressive mack era that is 2010+. He didn't suck until he checked out. We need not checked out mack brown 2.0, that's a bar I think Sark can meet. 

It’s what every great coach does well to be honest. Saban, Dabo, Mack, etc. Sark even mentioned this yesterday when he talked about when he was younger he thought he had to do it all himself but learned from Saban and NFL if you hire the best you can and let them do their jobs then it will all work itself out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s what every great coach does well to be honest. Saban, Dabo, Mack, etc. Sark even mentioned this yesterday when he talked about when he was younger he thought he had to do it all himself but learned from Saban and NFL if you hire the best you can and let them do their jobs then it will all work itself out. 

I have posted my thoughts elsewhere, but yes, his ups and downs are invaluable experience that neither Strong nor Herman had.

And, while we're all rightfully concerned about his alcohol problems, few probably understand what recovery means in terms of losing arrogance and accepting lessons and wisdom from others.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

That was my huge oh shit moment in my gut that Texas hired the wrong guy with Strong followed by his numerous bad loses, and for Herman it was when he sledge hammered the locker room which told me he had wrong priorities from the start followed by his loss to Maryland at home.  

Nah man. It was hiring Casey Horny and his entire staff of G5 has beens and never wases 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So what your saying is maybe, just maybe, winning isn’t hard?  Like give the ball to Bijan 15 times a game against TCU instead of sitting around smelling your own farts and maybe we win in a 21 point yawner and don’t leave open the possibility to fumble on the goal line in the last minute?  Because we have way more talent at UT. 

No way man. Winning is hard. I can’t imagine what you are saying could possibly be true. Except maybe for the smartest man in the world. Like Mack Brown. Who had this exact recipe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I watched his zoom introduction.  It was fine.  I don't care about the booze issues.   I do care about his past record as a HC.  Graduating Nick Saban's coaching career rehab is great, but I think he should take a lesser job and demonstrate that success before Texas looks at him.    Not fucking up the press conference shouldn't be the standard.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

So I watched his zoom introduction.  It was fine.  I don't care about the booze issues.   I do care about his past record as a HC.  Graduating Nick Saban's coaching career rehab is great, but I think he should take a lesser job and demonstrate that success before Texas looks at him.    Not fucking up the press conference shouldn't be the standard.

Of course it shouldn’t be the standard. No one is saying it is. But his coaching ability was good enough to get him the job at USC before alcoholism destroyed it. So if you want to talk coaching ability, let’s talk then. And bring up guys you would have wanted instead with the resume you expect, and leave UM out of this discussion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It's not, but it's all we got so far in this fait accompli.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

image.thumb.png.236696c901ad1b052ab2fea072defee3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

CDC should get more credit for making the change, when there were a lot of people here saying we should just stick with Herman. That was untenable and he knew it and made the decision and landed Sark. There was no better candidate out there, all considered. Hindsight may judge that differently, but there's not a single guy out there that looks any better today, and certainly nobody with a higher ceiling IMO.

Edited by mwaadeeb
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

So what your saying is maybe, just maybe, winning isn’t hard?  Like give the ball to Bijan 15 times a game against TCU instead of sitting around smelling your own farts and maybe we win in a 21 point yawner and don’t leave open the possibility to fumble on the goal line in the last minute?  Because we have way more talent at UT. 
No way man. Winning is hard. I can’t imagine what you are saying could possibly be true. Except maybe for the smartest man in the world. Like Mack Brown. Who had this exact recipe. 
Herman has definitely given me an appreciation for Mack's ability to get all of his best players on the field and with the ball in their hands. Sure, half the time it was bubble screens, but still
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

CDC should get more credit for making the change, when there were a lot of people here saying we should just stick with Herman. That was untenable and he knew it and made the decision. There was no better candidate out there than Sark all considered. Hindsight may judge that differently, but there's not a single guy out there that looks any better today.

It's noted Chris.  Have a good day.  Thanks again for the reduced beer prices.

32 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Herman has definitely given me an appreciation for Mack's ability to get all of his best players on the field and with the ball in their hands. Sure, half the time it was bubble screens, but still

Yeah- Mack made the easy look easy. I’m the same way Bonny Bowden did at FSU. When you have an overwhelming talent advantage overwhelm them. 
shit really shouldn’t be considered hard but Herman never figured it out. I don’t know what Strong was doing but I think it’s avant- garde performance art and it was spectacular. 
I’d have preferred to see it at OU or Bama or some such. 

13 hours ago, stork642 said:

None of us know if this guy is going to be any good. Best predictor of the future is the past and his coaching record is worse than Herman's. Yet I was on the anybody but Herman train. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate to break it to everyone that thinks because of his prior association and endorsement of bag men and that type of cheating, Sarkisian is going to be all for it here.

He might, he might not.  But a part of his recovery is doing "right" things.  Now, that permits some leeway on absolute moralism, but his past performance in that area may not be a good indicator of the future.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Right? This site busted a nut over Herman's intro. Any coach would be saying the things Sark is. First test is filling out the staff and limiting attrition from the roster. Then we'll see what things look like in spring ball. Then W-L record. That's it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I hate to break it to everyone that thinks because of his prior association and endorsement of bag men and that type of cheating, Sarkisian is going to be all for it here.

He might, he might not.  But a part of his recovery is doing "right" things.  Now, that permits some leeway on absolute moralism, but his past performance in that area may not be a good indicator of the future.

I mean, he's been recruiting for Alabama the past two years.

• Hook 'Em 1