Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This thread is hilarious: "CDC is just along for the ride, he's a suit who controls nothing."  Next post: "OMG CDC should be fired for making such a weak hire!"

Indeed.  It is, always has been, and ever will be a group grope.  Meaning both this thread and the hiring of HFC at UT.

15 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This thread is hilarious: "CDC is just along for the ride, he's a suit who controls nothing."  Next post: "OMG CDC should be fired for making such a weak hire!"

To be fair, we were just told (less than a month ago) that Herman would be the coach in 2021. We are, if nothing else, consistent with Belmont. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

How so?

I disbelieve any of the extreme positions, e.g. that Del Conte is out of the loop or is solely controlling things.  I assume that it's the same as it ever was, by committee.

There's been smoke for months that CDC wanted to keep Herman. And that he was told kindly to shut the fuck up after his silly vote of confidence memo.  There are multiple people plugged in across multiple sites (from mods and posters from the booster side) that said football coaching decisions were essentially out of CDC's hands at this point.  

The complete radio silence from CDC since that statement and the fact Herman was canned right after the bowl game seemingly out of the blue seems perfectly consistent with the narrative above.  I highly doubt CDC has had much input.  @closetojumping has been saying this for a while.  

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

After Meyer, no one was a sure-fire get or a sure-fire winner.

Brian Kelly was the closest thing to a sure-fire winner we had.

Seven-win Sark has coached seven seasons and finished ranked just twice, never lower than #21. He and Kelly are miles apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I've been as critical as anyone of CDC, but Herman's firing today pretty clearly demonstrates CDC was not really involved in that decision or the replacement decision.  So if you are pissed about Sark (if we do end up with Sark), then don't blame CDC.  He's just the suit out front.  

CDC right now in his fancy suit...

giphy.gif

If we're talking about a safe hire, Kelly was the only option after Urbs.   If I was CDC I would have made Urbs say no a third time, and then gone to BK.  But, that assumes CDC is running the show, which you guys are saying he doesn't.  If I am CDC and have no control, this is what you get.  

The only questions for me are the following:

1. Will Texas have a clause in the contract about coaching while impaired? 

2. Will Texas have a more favorable buy-out option than existed while Herm was here? 

3. Will Texas commit to no extension unless the coach wins the Big 12? 

4. Will Texas structure the contract with heavy performance bonuses: i.e. lower base salary than Tom, but say $1 million to win the Big12, another $1 million to be in the playoffs and $5 million to win the whole thing? 

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

If we're talking about a safe hire, Kelly was the only option after Urbs.   If I was CDC I would have made Urbs say no a third time, and then gone to BK.  But, that assumes CDC is running the show, which you guys are saying he doesn't.  If I am CDC and have no control, this is what you get.  

The only questions for me are the following:

1. Will Texas have a clause in the contract about coaching while impaired? 

2. Will Texas have a more favorable buy-out option than existed while Herm was here? 

3. Will Texas commit to no extension unless the coach wins the Big 12? 

4. Will Texas structure the contract with heavy performance bonuses: i.e. lower base salary than Tom, but say $1 million to win the Big12, another $1 million to be in the playoffs and $5 million to win the whole thing? 

And will there be weekly urine sample test?

30 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

There's been smoke for months that CDC wanted to keep Herman. And that he was told kindly to shut the fuck up after his silly vote of confidence memo.  There are multiple people plugged in across multiple sites (from mods and posters from the booster side) that said football coaching decisions were essentially out of CDC's hands at this point.  

The complete radio silence from CDC since that statement and the fact Herman was canned right after the bowl game seemingly out of the blue seems perfectly consistent with the narrative above.  I highly doubt CDC has had much input.  @closetojumping has been saying this for a while.  

And THIS is the best they can come up with???

We should have just left it to CDC if that's the case.

57 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The same genius boosters who were united behind Herman and anointed him with no real coaching search. It admittedly does reek of them.

Unfortunately for CDC, he’ll be the one leaving town as a result circa 2025. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

By confidence memo, you mean the statement that he will be our coach in 2021?

CDC has always been consistent about "evaluating coaches at the end of the season."  These actions are consistent with his public statements.

That's all we know.

The rest gives too much credence to "smoke."  Sarkisian is smoke at this point.

I'll reserve judgment on Del Conte until the smoke clears.  And even then, I'm relatively certain that the division of responsibility will be clear as mud.  The hiring of Herman was probably the most transparent of all because the AD was a BMD.

Hey good to know nothing has changed and the issue wasn't, Mack, our lack of a permanent AD or a horrible AD.  We're Cal because our Administration wants to be Cal.  we will flip the coin again in 5 years.

wonder what sycophant buddies Sark is going to hire.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Hey good to know nothing has changed and the issue wasn't, Mack, our lack of a permanent AD or a horrible AD.  We're Cal because our Administration wants to be Cal.  we will flip the coin again in 5 years.

Or he might be wildly successful.

Is that likely? Probably not, but maybe!

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How many fucking coaches have turned us down before we got to Sark?

Based on his HC record and being fired for cause at USC, I don’t even begin to get how he got hired.

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Hey CDC.  Just let Sark know that Charlie and Tom fkd up their initial OC hires.  Help him not do that.  Also don't hire Stoops.  Please tell coach to call Ewers and if a call to Tommy Brock would be good.  Also lets recruit SEC states for d line talent.

4 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Based on his HC record and being fired for cause at USC, I don’t even begin to get how he got hired.

I dint know if he is the right hire.  I do know that people can turn their lives around after 5 years.  I also know I can’t judge him.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

This. Everyone should watch so we can bitch about him with actual info.
(I know, we’re surly) He sounded Humble. Knowledgeable. And quietly driven. Self aware. No bullshit. Might lead us to the promised land. Get on board. 🤘🏼🙏🏼

He’s got a 12 step plan?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Sark’s HC record of 47-35 record is hardly impressive.

Welllll. If you were more productive you’d be a billionaire, taken over Texas Athletics years ago and we wouldn’t even be here. Yet, here we are. I’m Ridin’ w Sark! You can always root for the ags or move to okie. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

Welllll. If you were more productive you’d be a billionaire, taken over Texas Athletics years ago and we wouldn’t even be here. Yet, here we are. I’m Ridin’ w Sark! You can always root for the ags or move to okie. 

Get some sleep CDC.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Sark’s HC record of 47-35 record is hardly impressive.

Neither was 95-78.  or 54.9% from Mack either?  I admit I was sort of gobsmacked by the rumors that starting circulating last night and have no idea if he'll succeed or fail.  It's certainly a hire fraught with risk, but let's not bury him before he starts.  It's not impressive, but it doesn't mean he can't succeed.  Brian Kelly was 20-16 in his first 3 years.  Pete Carroll was a pro football washout.  Odds are against him but I'll be hoping he's the comeback story of college football in 3 years.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

No shit. Outside of Urban, they're all fucking coin flips, my dude. Campbell, Fickell, Shanahan, whichever other flavor of the month you like. 

Shanahan would have been awesome and a true home run if he had even an inkling of a desire to recruit (or come back to UT, which he's not particularly fond of).

Otherwise, agreed.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shanahan would have been awesome and a true home run if he had even an inkling of a desire to recruit (or come back to UT, which he's not particularly fond of).

Otherwise, agreed.

Well the lack of knowing how to recruit is a pretty big deal for an NFL lifer who has shown no interest in taking a college job. 

• Like 3