Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Did it cost $40 million to make the hire happen? I don't think so.

Spending $40 million on a coach, just 14 weeks after letting 80 people go and instituting pay cuts on 300 others (claiming financial necessity) and declaring "money is no object" to hire someone as controversial as Urban Meyer would be inexplicably bad management.

UT Austin may well have to cut the number of teams fielded. We haven't begun to see what will be needed done to fill the financial hole COVID has created.

Cutting programs and taking money from well over 350 athletics department staff (between firings and pay cuts) to pay Urban Meyer to coach football would create such a firestorm of ill-will we might as well just give up on athletics.

The first priority has to be to get Bellmont's financial situation stabilized. Those alumni who insist their individual choice of football coach must be the highest (and only) priority can fuck off.

There comes a point when the demands of "certain alumni" need to be subordinated to the interests of the athletes, students and those alumni who care about the long term best interests of the university.

What, then, are the parameters defining when Herman should be fired?  And how does that decision fit within the “long term best interests of the university.”

Not trolling. Legitimately interested in how one makes these decisions and when

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

What, then, are the parameters defining when Herman should be fired?  And how does that decision fit within the “long term best interests of the university.”

Not trolling. Legitimately interested in how one makes these decisions and when

RD is full of shit and doesn’t know.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

CDC has one sport that pays for everything else and brings in a fuckton of $ for the AD and the University. Consider Football probably contributes 85% of all revenues and interest for UT that is where he should spend the bulk of his time. Why everyone is acting like it is some huge thing for him to give disproportionate time to football is beyond me. I liken this to him running a business with multiple P&L entities, one of them contributes the vast majority of revenue and profits, nearly all of the others could fucking disappear tomorrow and it would have no impact. You focus on the business (football) that drives your success. IDMAS if you get softball or men's tennis right. They add $0 to UT. Fucking fix football. It is job #1.

If it is too big a job for CDC then get rid of him and hire someone from a Tier 1 university in terms of athletic success that won't be overwhelmed by the job.

I hope he works out as his ass is already in the seat but if he cannot get football right rickey-tick then get him the fuck out.

this. he has one fucking job.  he thought Herman might work out, well shit, he didn't because the most experienced team in the Big 12 lost 2 games to middling programs with less talent AT HOME. Sucks to be you CDC, Herman failed because he is an average P5 coach.   you have one job, fix it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Spending $40 million on a coach, just 14 weeks after letting 80 people go and instituting pay cuts on 300 others (claiming financial necessity) and declaring "money is no object" to hire someone as controversial as Urban Meyer would be inexplicably bad management.

UT Austin may well have to cut the number of teams fielded. We haven't begun to see what will be needed done to fill the financial hole COVID has created.

Cutting programs and taking money from well over 350 athletics department staff (between firings and pay cuts) to pay Urban Meyer to coach football would create such a firestorm of ill-will we might as well just give up on athletics.

The first priority has to be to get Bellmont's financial situation stabilized. Those alumni who insist their individual choice of football coach must be the highest (and only) priority can fuck off.

There comes a point when the demands of "certain alumni" need to be subordinated to the interests of the athletes, students and those alumni who care about the long term best interests of the university.

This department has had to many folks in comparison to other departments. Patterson was suppose to clean it up but did not do so. If we can waste money on a bloated department for years why is it wrong to make a good investment on fixing a coaching issue with money that would not be invested in the university otherwise by the BMDs.

18 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The SEZ and Moody projects are already funded.

The petulant shits who think their priorities are the only priority that matters will have to find another empty threat to make "to support the program."

I'm not sure how prevalent the attitude is among the donor base, but the "BMDs" who threaten to turn their backs on the program unless they personally get their way are a cancer, not an asset to the program.

You simply can't layoff staff and institute salary cuts out of financial necessity on Sept 1 and on Dec 1 declare "money is no object," and bring in a new head football coach at a massively higher salary than the old one. Do that, and the new coach would instantly be the most resented person on campus, with staff willingly undermining him at every move out of spite.

That, in short order, would set the overall athletics program back and would lead to uncontrolled leaks to the media that would cost the overall athletics program dearly. We don't want or need the head football coach to be despised by the entirety of the athletics department, all to appease the most self-centered members of the alumni base.

The financial ramifications of COVID are substantial and will soon be felt in full effect. And it's not going to be pretty.

In light of this, the BMDs who demand to have their way "or else," can go to Hell.

https://texassports.com/news/2020/9/1/forty-acres-insider-sept-1.aspx

• 26 contracted coaches and administrators voluntarily agreed to take temporary salary reductions (beginning Sept.1 through Aug. 31, 2021 )
  • 273 staff members will receive temporary salary reductions, and 11 staff members will be temporarily furloughed with benefits (beginning Oct. 16 through Aug. 31, 2021)
  • 35 staff members will be laid off 
  • 35 vacant positions will be permanently eliminated

All, the time-honored "too big to fail" argument. My solution would be to fire CDC & Herman today, before lunch. Let our Defensive Coordinator be the temporary HC for now. At least he seems to know what the hell he is doing.  

b23b9cc9-35a5-4e04-a2cd-2a49e7a97956-RBB

13 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

CDC has one sport that pays for everything else and brings in a fuckton of $ for the AD and the University. Consider Football probably contributes 85% of all revenues and interest for UT that is where he should spend the bulk of his time. Why everyone is acting like it is some huge thing for him to give disproportionate time to football is beyond me. I liken this to him running a business with multiple P&L entities, one of them contributes the vast majority of revenue and profits, nearly all of the others could fucking disappear tomorrow and it would have no impact. You focus on the business (football) that drives your success. IDMAS if you get softball or men's tennis right. They add $0 to UT. Fucking fix football. It is job #1.

If it is too big a job for CDC then get rid of him and hire someone from a Tier 1 university in terms of athletic success that won't be overwhelmed by the job.

I hope he works out as his ass is already in the seat but if he cannot get football right rickey-tick then get him the fuck out.

It is utterly unethical to be taking money out of the paychecks of over 200 employees while simultaneously going on a spending spree, throwing $40 million on a football coach whose personal ethics were so demonstrably unacceptable he literally was the subject of a Harvard Business review article.

Period.

When "St Urban the Innocent" left Ohio State, one writer summed it up especially well:

Meyer proclaimed Tuesday that he's leaving Ohio State because of health issues, and that he's done coaching. It's the same thing he said eight years ago after walking away from Florida.

Back then, in 2010, he walked away from a program cratered with entitlement run amok, roster manipulation, a drug problem in the locker room and more than 30 player arrests in six seasons.

On Tuesday, he walked away from a program that has had a brutal season off the field, including revelations of the reckless enabling of former assistant coach Zach Smith, whose alleged domestic violence (among other nefarious issues) while working for Meyer at both Florida and Ohio State left an indelible shame stain for all to see on one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport.

The next big question: Who takes a chance on Meyer when he wants back in?

If you think Meyer, the most competitive, win-at-all-costs football coach of our generation, will just walk away at 54 years young, you're the same person who believes he's as pure and true as the Pope he's named after.

Any number of jobs could be available for the 2020 season, and a year away from the grind will allow Meyer to get well (he has been dealing with an arachnoid cyst in his brain since the early 1990s), recharge and reorganize his life.

Forget about the NFL. Meyer's rah-rah, psychological motivation won't work on grown men. It will, however, work at the highest level of college football.

But if you're USC, Auburn, Florida State or any other major program, are you willing to sell your souls for championships, knowing full well the future collateral damage?

Do you hire a coach who allegedly hid drug-test failures on the Florida sideline by having players wear walking boots so it looked like they were injured?

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar?

Do you hire a coach who did nothing after a star player (Percy Harvin) allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches at Florida?

Do you hire a coach who had to visit a player's family in the middle of the season to make it right with them because he created an environment where an assistant, Smith, allegedly got into an altercation with the player, Trevon Grimes, and used a racial slur?

I know, I know. All in the past. All just allegations. And Meyer denies it all.

Because what would make anyone doubt the honesty of a coach who was caught lying by an Ohio State committee investigating the enabling of Smith? Who deleted texts on his phone prior to investigators searching it for clues? Who told investigators he met with Smith's wife in 2009 and she recanted domestic abuse claims, even though Smith himself told the committee that Meyer didn't meet with her? Who would cook up a story about flying down to Florida five days before a Big Ten road game to see Grimes' sick mother out of the goodness of his heart—not because he was concerned a damaging story would get out?

At what point do college presidents see Meyer for what he is: a helluva football coach with a win-at-all-costs mentality who dangerously blurs the line between righteous and renegade?

Meyer doesn't lie. He misrepresents facts.

He doesn't know about damaging details. He forgets them.

He doesn't delete text messages. He just asks his director of football operations how one would, you know, clear old text messages, if one wanted to?

He doesn't fly down to Florida in the middle of the season to make a deal with a backup freshman wide receiver who has three career catches. He travels to Florida to comfort a sick mother.

Ohio State knew all of this in August and still chose to slap Meyer on the wrist with a three-game suspension instead of ripping off the bandage and firing him.

The old coaching adage is that a team is a reflection of its coach. Well, a university is, too. A three-game suspension, and back on the horse.

If we don't learn from history, we're doomed to watch Meyer build a program of preferential treatment at Florida with what he called his "Circle of Trust," then move to Ohio State and do the same damn thing with his—ready for it?—"Brotherhood of Trust," all over again somewhere else. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. Who's next?

The clock started ticking on Meyer's latest exit once he sat through the uncomfortable suspension press conference in August, dripping with defiance and using forced, uncomfortable apologies. Then last month, Meyer told reporters that headaches he gets from the cyst have become an issue, but that he loves Ohio State and he wanted to coach the Buckeyes "as long as I can."

Let me be the first to translate that for you: He has worn out his welcome in Columbus, and he knows it.

It took six years at Florida. It took seven at Ohio State. He seems to have a bad locker room now (why else would star defensive end Nick Bosa not even hang around to support his teammates while recovering from a core injury and work out at the finest facilities in college football?), like he had a bad locker room when he left Gainesville after the 2010 season.

So now Meyer is retiring and wants to get healthy and spend more time with his family (sound familiar?). He'll sit out a season and do some television work, and a big job will open up.

Then what? We'll breathe deep and get through that shocking, can't-be-true revelation together.

Again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809209-urban-meyer-leaves-another-program-disgraced-and-it-wont-be-his-last

Edited by Randolph Duke

For years Dipshit Duke has complained about bloat in the athletic department now he's complaining some of the bloat was let go. Fucking rich irony right there. Fucking dipshit should stick to aggy.

Most especially since the money isn't coming from the AD department or the university for the buyout. It's coming from people who if trends in other aspects of the business worlds created more wealth during the pandemic. Fucking tool Dipshit Duke is.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

All, the time-honored "too big to fail" argument. My solution would be to fire CDC & Herman today, before lunch. Let our Defensive Coordinator be the temporary HC for now. At least he seems to know what the hell he is doing.  

b23b9cc9-35a5-4e04-a2cd-2a49e7a97956-RBB

Not to be argumentative, but why are so many thinking we don't already have an agreement in principle - as rumored - with UM? I agree that CDC's press release was unnecessary, but it'll be forgiven if/when UM is announced. Right now, we don't know if CDC actually fucked it up. No leaks are good at this point.

At least that's my opinion until UM states emphatically that he's done and has no interest in UT. Hasn't happened yet. Agree that Herman should've been shit-canned already if we've decided to make a change and are considering Plan B options.

But, it looks like UM or bust to me. CDC may not have the money if UM declines.

/BDE

• Hook 'Em 2

For everyone banging on CDC. I agree his decision to extend Herman after finishing 9-4 and winning the Sugar Bowl was just stupid. You extend a HC when you're concerned he may bolt. Herman was on record saying "TEXAS is my dream job". He wasn't going anywhere.

Easy to second-guess in hindsight, I know, but CDC was still thinking like a Rice and TCU guy. Bad decision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Nivek said:

Again, it is not about thinking Tom is going to turn it around as much as it is about slowing down and making sure the next guy is THE guy and not making a lateral move that is backed by a 4-5 yr contract.  

And, one thing about the future, is you never know what could happen.  I tend to think that taking the time to make a "rational" decision is better than having to do it completely on an external timeframe.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

For everyone banging on CDC. I agree his decision to extend Herman after finishing 9-4 and winning the Sugar Bowl was just stupid. You extend a HC when you're concerned he may bolt. Herman was on record saying "TEXAS is my dream job". He wasn't going anywhere.

Easy to second-guess in hindsight, I know, but CDC was still thinking like a Rice and TCU guy. Bad decision.

Well, you do it for recruiting, too. To paper up that illusion that the coach is here to stay for the next four years and just as a symbolic gesture.

The length and the full salary guarantee are the irksome parts of it.

I find it plausible that CDC was on-board with a shorter extension or a longer one with a reduced guarantee.  I tend to think, but it's speculation, that Fenves or the BMD behind Herman's hiring in the first place pushed for the longer, richer one because "we finally have our guy."  

I understand that Fenves didn't want to deal with AD issues as a general proposition, but I can also see him not wanting to ride herd on another coaching search or have to hop on a plane to beg two assistants to come ever again, thus pushing an extension that would virtually guarantee that that didn't happen again during his tenure.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the specter of having to replace a flailing Herman played a role in his early departure.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, you do it for recruiting, too. To paper up that illusion that the coach is here to stay and just as a symbolic gesture.

The length and the full salary guarantee are the irksome parts of it.

I find it plausible that CDC was on-board with a shorter extension or a longer one with a reduced guarantee.  I tend to think, but it's speculation, that Fenves or the BMD behind Herman's hiring in the first place pushed for the longer, richer one because "we finally have our guy."  

I understand that Fenves didn't want to deal with AD issues as a general proposition, but I can also see him not wanting to ride herd on another coaching search or have to hop on a plane to beg two assistants to come ever again.

Good point

But, how many of our #17 ranked kids signed yesterday bc they loved Herman? I don't follow recruiting that closely, but I assume that many are more enamored with UT with all the smoke about Herman's hot seat. Do these kids get a free release from UT if Herman is fired? How does that work? 

15 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Good point

But, how many of our #17 ranked kids signed yesterday bc they loved Herman? I don't follow recruiting that closely, but I assume that many are more enamored with UT with all the smoke about Herman's hot seat. Do these kids get a free release from UT if Herman is fired? How does that work? 

Yeah, I don't know.  I do think it's a hazardous business trying to predict the behavior of 18-year-old athletes.  Sure seems plausible that they won't like the idea of the coach/staff that recruited them not being their actual coach.  But then maybe having a strange but ostensibly better coaching staff offsets that.  I really don't know.

The recruiting angle on coach retention seems more to avoid the negative recruting of "yknow, Coach X only has two years remaining on his contract, he could be gone" kind of shit.  I have no idea how effective that really is, but it is certainly an accepted justification for extensions.

Regardless of the actual effect of a coaching staff change, or threatened change, on recruiting, the general notion of stability has to appeal.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I don't know.  I do think it's a hazardous business trying to predict the behavior of 18-year-old athletes.  Sure seems plausible that they won't like the idea of the coach/staff that recruited them not being their actual coach.  But then maybe having a strange but ostensibly better coaching staff offsets that.  I really don't know.

The recruiting angle on coach retention seems more to avoid the negative recruting of "yknow, Coach X only has two years remaining on his contract, he could be gone" kind of shit.  I have no idea how effective that really is, but it is certainly an accepted justification for extensions.

Corches who negatively recruit are douchebags, but I'm sure it goes on. It's amazing that a kid and his family are duped by that tactic, but whatever. Too much history - see Gus Malzahn - that an extension doesn't mean shit for job security.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

one writer from Bleacher Report

do you even consider your sources? 

When you can't argue the content, attack the author (or, in this case, the publisher). Would, for example, FOX Sports (an arguably more esteemed source) be more credible in your mind?

Let's stick with the content of the article.

Do you hire a coach who allegedly hid drug-test failures on the Florida sideline by having players wear walking boots so it looked like they were injured?

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar?

Do you hire a coach who did nothing after a star player (Percy Harvin) allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches at Florida?

Do you hire a coach who had to visit a player's family in the middle of the season to make it right with them because he created an environment where an assistant, Smith, allegedly got into an altercation with the player, Trevon Grimes, and used a racial slur?

What would make anyone doubt the honesty of a coach who was caught lying by an Ohio State committee investigating the enabling of Smith? Who deleted texts on his phone prior to investigators searching it for clues? Who told investigators he met with Smith's wife in 2009 and she recanted domestic abuse claims, even though Smith himself told the committee that Meyer didn't meet with her? Who would cook up a story about flying down to Florida five days before a Big Ten road game to see Grimes' sick mother out of the goodness of his heart—not because he was concerned a damaging story would get out?

At what point do college presidents see Meyer for what he is: a helluva football coach with a win-at-all-costs mentality who dangerously blurs the line between righteous and renegade?

Edited by Randolph Duke

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

When you can't argue the content, attack the author (or, in this case, the publisher).

The answer to all of these is that we and every program already have hired coaches who operate in these spaces....

Let me be clear EVERY program.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The answer to all of these is that we and every program already have hired coaches who operate in these spaces....

Let me be clear EVERY program.

No evidence or sources necessary.

That's why most practices and team events are closed to the press and public. It's called D1 football. Lotta grey areas.

And a light goes on in the darkness.

And remember, colleges and universities still have to beg the federal government for financial relief due to COVID. Students are filing suit to reclaim tuition payments.

And you people want to start throwing money around like drunken scumbags on coaches who are human pieces of shit.

Colleges still have millions to fire football coaches despite claiming financial trouble from coronavirus

Brent Schrotenboer
USA TODAY

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

And a light goes on in the darkness.

And remember, colleges and universities still have to beg the federal government for financial relief due to COVID. Students are filing suit to reclaim tuition payments.

And you people want to start throwing money around like drunken scumbags on coaches who are human pieces of shit.

No, the BMDs who have a vested interest in the success of Texas Football want to throw the money at our problem.

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

No, the BMDs who have a vested interest in the success of Texas Football want to throw the money at our problem.

It's time the self-centered and ethically challenged alumni quit holding holding the university back. If we have to hire a human piece of shit as head coach to win games, it's time to shut down the football program.

“It’s the big cigar guys with big dollars who are willing to spend it, because it suits them and because they can,” Turner said of donors. “Universities get held hostage over that, and it just takes courage on the part of presidents and other leaders in higher ed to say that’s inappropriate.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/12/17/college-football-coach-firing-costs-rise-much-75-million/3930808001/

Edited by Randolph Duke

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Because they realize that a winning program at UT brings in millions and millions of dollars to benefit the university at large.  Having UT be bad at football hurts the entire university. Also UT players under Mack, Charlie and Herman have done all of the things that RD is decrying about UM. Drug tests being failed, fights among players/staff, assaults, video taping sex acts, adultery among coaching staff and trainers, home invasions, DUI  etc etc etc

Acting like UT has had some moral high ground is just a fucking joke. UT has been no better or worse than any D1 program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

"“It’s the big cigar guys with big dollars who are willing to spend it, because it suits them and because they can,” Turner said of donors. “Universities get held hostage over that, and it just takes courage on the part of presidents and other leaders in higher ed to say that’s inappropriate.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/12/17/college-football-coach-firing-costs-rise-much-75-million/3930808001/

You like to tout the "courage" of Bill Powers in deciding to hire our worst AD, Steve Patterson, who in turn hired our worst HC, Charlie. Not a shining moment in Texas athletics history. Unless failure is your thing. 

I'm of the mind that CDC should listen to the "big cigars" and hire the best HC available. You should adopt an incorruptible D3 program to support with pastors who moonlight as corches. That might fit your holier-than-thou stance on this issue.

USA Today as a source. Geez...

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

When you can't argue the content, attack the author (or, in this case, the publisher). Would, for example, FOX Sports (an arguably more esteemed source) be more credible in your mind?

SINCE WE'VE TALKING ABOUT THE COACH WHO WAS ON URBAN MEYER'S STAFF DURING MANY OF THESE ALLEGATIONS AND WE CURRENTLY EMPLOY ONE OF ART BRILES MINIONS FFROM HELL, ANSWERS BELOW!

Do you hire a coach who allegedly hid drug-test failures on the Florida sideline by having players wear walking boots so it looked like they were injured? YES

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar? YES

Do you hire a coach who did nothing after a star player (Percy Harvin) allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches at Florida? YES

Do you hire a coach who had to visit a player's family in the middle of the season to make it right with them because he created an environment where an assistant, Smith, allegedly got into an altercation with the player, Trevon Grimes, and used a racial slur? YES

What would make anyone doubt the honesty of a coach who was caught lying by an Ohio State committee investigating the enabling of Smith? Who deleted texts on his phone prior to investigators searching it for clues? Who told investigators he met with Smith's wife in 2009 and she recanted domestic abuse claims, even though Smith himself told the committee that Meyer didn't meet with her? Who would cook up a story about flying down to Florida five days before a Big Ten road game to see Grimes' sick mother out of the goodness of his heart—not because he was concerned a damaging story would get out? YES

At what point do college presidents see Meyer for what he is: a helluva football coach with a win-at-all-costs mentality who dangerously blurs the line between righteous and renegade? YES

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Having UT be bad at football hurts the entire university.

I keep seeing this general statement, but I never really see quantifiable data that backs this up. The school has been the same size since the early 90's and we aren't  trying to become larger, so a spike in enrollment or applications isnt relevant like it may be at Alabama or A&M. Presumably the argument is that a bad football team means donors won't give money to the university in general. Well we have sucked dick over the last 10 years, does the data suggest that is the case? 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For years Dipshit Duke has complained about bloat in the athletic department now he's complaining some of the bloat was let go. Fucking rich irony right there. Fucking dipshit should stick to aggy.

Most especially since the money isn't coming from the AD department or the university for the buyout. It's coming from people who if trends in other aspects of the business worlds created more wealth during the pandemic. Fucking tool Dipshit Duke is.

this.  the fucking bloat in that department and truly at all levels is astronomical. the football coach is the most important guy in the department and as such you need to not have a dipshit running it.

I just hope the department will survive without all those folks.  wait you mean the AD hasn't imploded because a bunch of hangers on/do nothings aren't there?  are games getting cancelled? are flights not happening? are student athletes not getting their checks?  are they not being fed? are the towels not being washed?  Is CDC not getting his coffee in the morning?

they let go a bunch of dead weight they don't need and hmm the department seems to be running just fine.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I keep seeing this general statement, but I never really see quantifiable data that backs this up. The school has been the same size since the early 90's and we aren't  trying to become larger, so a spike in enrollment or applications isnt relevant like it may be at Alabama or A&M. Presumably the argument is that a bad football team means donors won't give money to the university in general. Well we have sucked dick over the last 10 years, does the data suggest that is the case? 

I would say that TV rights for Big12 when they're renegotiated, the LHN that will go away due to lackluster performance (those $ help broader university), all of the non-revenue sports/scholarships football help with, the millions of dollars that go back to academics all stand to suffer if Herman is kept on as I believe that this is becoming straw that is breaking the camels back.

I think Texas saw a flood of money back in post the Sugar bowl win, now it is due to Covid and shittiness seeing the money flow back out. I don't have the data and frankly this may be wishcasting on my part but I do believe that if Herman is coaching next season that interest in this team will be at its lowest point in years. No Ehlinger (who is native Austinite and big draw), all the noise associated with LHB, Players opting & portaling and a genuinely shitty home schedule lead to a blah moment. Now if everyone is vaccinated and says "fuck it a bad day at DKR is better than staying home" maybe it will see a bounce just due to people sick of being stuck home this fall.

I am just sick of UT being shitty.

17 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

You like to tout the "courage" of Bill Powers in deciding to hire our worst AD, Steve Patterson, who in turn hired our worst HC, Charlie. Not a shining moment in Texas athletics history. Unless failure is your thing. 

I'm of the mind that CDC should listen to the "big cigars" and hire the best HC available. You should adopt an incorruptible D3 program to support with pastors who moonlight as corches. That might fit your holier-than-thou stance on this issue.

USA Today as a source. Geez...

he's big on failure, just needs to stick to aggy failure.

I would say that TV rights for Big12 when they're renegotiated, the LHN that will go away due to lackluster performance (those $ help broader university), all of the non-revenue sports/scholarships football help with, the millions of dollars that go back to academics all stand to suffer if Herman is kept on as I believe that this is becoming straw that is breaking the camels back.

I think Texas saw a flood of money back in post the Sugar bowl win, now it is due to Covid and shittiness seeing the money flow back out. I don't have the data and frankly this may be wishcasting on my part but I do believe that if Herman is coaching next season that interest in this team will be at its lowest point in years. No Ehlinger (who is native Austinite and big draw), all the noise associated with LHB, Players opting & portaling and a genuinely shitty home schedule lead to a blah moment. Now if everyone is vaccinated and says "fuck it a bad day at DKR is better than staying home" maybe it will see a bounce just due to people sick of being stuck home this fall.

I am just sick of UT being shitty.

I absolutely agree with the part in bold, but UT raises in the neighborhood of $400 million annually(going from memory), and the Athletic department contributes what 10 million back to UT Austin? We have not been good at football at all the last 10 years, and yet the revenue keeps coming in. Did Michael and Susan Dell give a fuck about the football team's failures when they donated $100 million in January of 2020? A large amount of fundraising also comes from corporations  and foundations that dont give a shit about athletics.

The success/failure of UT football absolutely affects the finances of the athletics department especially as it relates to fundraising for athletics. But even the athletic department revenues have been steadily increasing over 10 years when the football program was sitting in the corner smearing feces on the wall. Will we lose the Longhorn network? Probably, but that would have happened regardless. Its a flawed concept. 

Do I want the football team to be good? Yes. Do I want Herman shit canned? Yes. I just don't buy into the storyline that if our football team isnt annually in the top 5 our university suffers. The University annual budget is $3 billion dollars, so while the $10 million annual contribution is nice, its not particularly material to the future success of the school in general. Applications aren't suffering either apparently

https://news.utexas.edu/2019/09/24/ut-austin-automatic-admission-rate-to-remain-at-6/

44 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Correct.  good football does drive more donations, money, interest but its not like it is anywhere close to make or break for the University.

to your point, we are Cal until proven otherwise and we might actually be OK with being Cal.  the BMD's probably don't want to be Cal but who knows.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Correct.  good football does drive more donations, money, interest but its not like it is anywhere close to make or break for the University.

to your point, we are Cal until proven otherwise and we might actually be OK with being Cal.  the BMD's probably don't want to be Cal but who knows.

You can make the argument that UT football was as successful any other school from 2000-2009. that was not that long ago, Cal has not been that in my lifetime. Since then we have fired Mack, hired Strong, fired Strong, hired Mensa, and now will likely have to fire Mensa. I'm not sure why that makes us Cal. We are trying to improve things, we just need to stop hiring shitty coaches. Nobody knows what went down with Saban, and for that matter Urban. But assuming we cant hire the #1 no-brainer available coach, we need to hire a winner. Mack Brown wasnt a grand slam guaranteed MNC hire in 98, but he worked out. Its that simple, you gotta get lucky and figure out the right guy for your program. 

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That is demonstrably false.

Ok I will caveat with removing obvious loss of institutional control programs eg Baylor/Penn State but UT has had its share of players that failed drug tests, committed crimes etc

Point is UT has not had a set of choir boys over the years.

Kinda like paying millions each year for Tom Herman?

Please take CDC's nuts out of your mouth before you respond. It's really hard to understand you with all the gargling noises.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I absolutely agree with the part in bold, but UT raises in the neighborhood of $400 million annually(going from memory), and the Athletic department contributes what 10 million back to UT Austin? We have not been good at football at all the last 10 years, and yet the revenue keeps coming in. Did Michael and Susan Dell give a fuck about the football team's failures when they donated $100 million in January of 2020? A large amount of fundraising also comes from corporations  and foundations that dont give a shit about athletics.

The success/failure of UT football absolutely affects the finances of the athletics department especially as it relates to fundraising for athletics. But even the athletic department revenues have been steadily increasing over 10 years when the football program was sitting in the corner smearing feces on the wall. Will we lose the Longhorn network? Probably, but that would have happened regardless. Its a flawed concept. 

Do I want the football team to be good? Yes. Do I want Herman shit canned? Yes. I just don't buy into the storyline that if our football team isnt annually in the top 5 our university suffers. The University annual budget is $3 billion dollars, so while the $10 million annual contribution is nice, its not particularly material to the future success of the school in general. Applications aren't suffering either apparently

https://news.utexas.edu/2019/09/24/ut-austin-automatic-admission-rate-to-remain-at-6/

Just a sidenote.  We've been objectively mediocre to bad at football for all but about 10 of the last about 40 years.  Hasn't seem to hurt the University much.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

You can make the argument that UT football was as successful any other school from 2000-2009. that was not that long ago, Cal has not been that in my lifetime. Since then we have fired Mack, hired Strong, fired Strong, hired Mensa, and now will likely have to fire Mensa. I'm not sure why that makes us Cal. We are trying to improve things, we just need to stop hiring shitty coaches. Nobody knows what went down with Saban, and for that matter Urban. But assuming we cant hire the #1 no-brainer available coach, we need to hire a winner. Mack Brown wasnt a grand slam guaranteed MNC hire in 98, but he worked out. Its that simple, you gotta get lucky and figure out the right guy for your program. 

Charlie and Herman were complete an utter G5 coin flips.  its the exact same thing as hiring Smart.  exactly like what a Cal would do.  yeah you can get lucky.  we did with Royal and OU did with Stoops. and Stoops decided not to burn it down on the way out.

we aren't asking for grand slam guaranteed MNC hires.  we are asking to hire someone competent with actual experience in P5 with a reasonably lengthy top 20 type resume.

we do have a "twice" in a lifetime opportunity to hire a guaranteed grand slam MNC hire so we should do that.  I'd rather not try the luck route again.  We are very poor at it.  like  1 out of 5 poor.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Charlie and Herman were complete an utter G5 coin flips.  its the exact same thing as hiring Smart.  exactly like what a Cal would do.  yeah you can get lucky.  we did with Royal and OU did with Stoops. and Stoops decided not to burn it down on the way out.

we aren't asking for grand slam guaranteed MNC hires.  we are asking to hire someone competent with actual experience in P5 with a reasonably lengthy top 20 type resume.

we do have a "twice" in a lifetime opportunity to hire a guaranteed grand slam MNC hire so we should do that.  I'd rather not try the luck route again.  We are very poor at it.  like  1 out of 5 poor.

OK. But who knows what the fuck is up with Urban. The dude is a great coach but a head case and if he doesnt want to coach here, you cant force him. The shit you read online is largely speculation. So if not Urban, who do you hire? Stoops had no head coaching experience. Dabo was a nobody. Tressel came from Div II or some shit. Carrol was like USC's 4th option. To pretend like getting the coaching search right is easy to do is ridiculous. We may not like it, but every school short of Ohio State has plenty of shitty hires. It has nothing to do with us striving to be like Cal. Its a fucking crapshoot. Mix in a fuckstick like Steve Patterson, and there ya go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Because they realize that a winning program at UT brings in millions and millions of dollars to benefit the university at large.  Having UT be bad at football hurts the entire university. Also UT players under Mack, Charlie and Herman have done all of the things that RD is decrying about UM. Drug tests being failed, fights among players/staff, assaults, video taping sex acts, adultery among coaching staff and trainers, home invasions, DUI  etc etc etc

Acting like UT has had some moral high ground is just a fucking joke. UT has been no better or worse than any D1 program.

I +repped your post, but it’s going a bit far to say that since UT has had many of the same problems, we are no better or worse and any other program. I doubt UF and tOSU are the worst of the worst, either, although I’d bet we’re still a bit better than them. Big time programs are more heavily scrutinized, so once something gets out, everyone hears about it. 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

All it takes is common sense. There are more good HS students who choose a school because their football team is great than there are who don’t because they are offended by football success. It’s a tiebreaker for more than a few.

As far as data goes, I’ve heard multiple stories over the decades of schools experiencing  an increase in applications when their football teams suddenly start doing well. It might not move the needle much at Stanford or Harvard, but they are the exception. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

All it takes is common sense. There are more good HS students who choose a school because their football team is great than there are who don’t because they are offended by football success. It’s a tiebreaker for more than a few.

As far as data goes, I’ve heard multiple stories over the decades of schools experiencing  an increase in applications when their football teams suddenly start doing well. It might not move the needle much at Stanford or Harvard, but they are the exception. 

Sorry thats bullshit. We dont need more students nor are we struggling for applicants. We have been at 50K students since I attended in the 90's. Applications are growing rapidly at Texas even with shitty football. The reason? Because we offer a top notch education at state school prices. Until that stops being the case, we don't need the football team to recruit for us. 

Edit - think about it this way. Since we arent looking for more students, we can only be more selective from a growing applicant pool. Where are all of these super high caliber students going to go because Texas cant win enough football games? Cal, UCLA, MIchigan.... they all suck as well. ND Stanford, perhaps but at a much higher cost.  Bama, LSU, OU, Clemson....lulz. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3