Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

I'm definitely in the minority camp that believes when he said Herman is the coach for 2021 he meant it and Herman will be the coach next season. I think it's funny if you believe that you are a moron but if you say "no what he really meant was January 2021 he will still be the coach and he never said for sure Herman will be here for the 2021 season as in August of 21 he meant January 2021"

I hope I am wrong and Urban pops up as the coach but if that happens Imagine the backlash CDC will get for saying Herman is my coach for the 2021 season then he hires Urban. Not that i would give a shit but we know the media. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texanbychoice said:

If you read CDC’s comments and think it means Herman will be our coach next season....you are not smart.

Go on....break it down for us.  Because as far as I can tell, and I mean I try my best to check information on the web...MENSA fuckstick will be our coach far into the future.

Edited by Shaggy3.0

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I'm definitely in the minority camp that believes when he said Herman is the coach for 2021 he meant it and Herman will be the coach next season. I think it's funny if you believe that you are a moron but if you say "no what he really meant was January 2021 he will still be the coach and he never said for sure Herman will be here for the 2021 season as in August of 21 he meant January 2021"

I hope I am wrong and Urban pops up as the coach but if that happens Imagine the backlash CDC will get for saying Herman is my coach for the 2021 season then he hires Urban. Not that i would give a shit but we know the media. 

CDC saying Herman will coach in 2021 is completely consistent with how CDC operates. People who want Urban would soon be just as incensed as they are today if Urban didn't have instantaneous success. CDC wants to play the long game and build a better overall athletics program.

The COVID layoffs/ position eliminations greatly accelerated Bellmont's restructuring. UT athletics has about an $80 million hole for the period of May 2020-Aug 2021. The first thing to do is stabilize the finances. next, restore the salary cuts imposed on staff. After that, there will be some mid-level hires to help CDC implement his vision for UT athletics. After that, making decisions on coaches. Then, circle back and make additional adjustments/ changes. 

Finally cleaning up Bellmont post-Deloss and getting all of UT athletics headed in the right direction is far more important than having Urban Meyer on campus. At least it is if you want to play the long game. Which is a game CDC knows well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Which part of CDC's call to the AAS confirming that Herman will be the coach in 2021 do you not understand?

The part where he still didn't say Herman would coach the 2021 season.  All it takes for that clarification to be true is for Herman to still be employed on January 1st.  The most important part of statements like this is to note what they don't say.  That's the only part that actually matters.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

There is a whole lot of dumb in this thread, or at least some extreme gullibility.  CDC is doing exactly what he needs to do to limit damage caused by uncertainty while continuing to work toward ensuring that the future of the program ends up in the best possible hands.  Stop hanging on every fucking word he releases for public consumption, and act like this isn't the first time that you have heard AD-speak.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows what is at stake.  He is as unhappy with the level of performance as any of us.  If the best possible coaching change could have happened by now, it would have.  Shove your unrealistic expectations up your ass and trust the man to do his job. 

Image 12-13-20 at 8.57 AM.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

The part where he still didn't say Herman would coach the 2021 season.  All it takes for that clarification to be true is for Herman to still be employed on January 1st.  The most important part of statements like this is to note what they don't say.  That's the only part that actually matters.

Want. To. Believe

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

CDC saying Herman will coach in 2021 is completely consistent with how CDC operates. People who want Urban would soon be just as incensed as they are today if Urban didn't have instantaneous success. CDC wants to play the long game and build a better overall athletics program.

The COVID layoffs/ position eliminations greatly accelerated Bellmont's restructuring. UT athletics has about an $80 million hole for the period of May 2020-Aug 2021. The first thing to do is stabilize the finances. next, restore the salary cuts imposed on staff. After that, there will be some mid-level hires to help CDC implement his vision for UT athletics. After that, making decisions on coaches. Then, circle back and make additional adjustments/ changes. 

Finally cleaning up Bellmont post-Deloss and getting all of UT athletics headed in the right direction is far more important than having Urban Meyer on campus. At least it is if you want to play the long game. Which is a game CDC knows well.

And this is why it takes FOREVER to make any decisive moves.  I may not be the smartest guy in the room. In fact, I'm very UN-MENSA.  But I see other major universities make moves without all this unnecessary churn.  It takes too long for shit to happen around here.  But hey, we WERE Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Ha - this sounds like proper decision making if you are a government accountant with guaranteed funding.  

The most critical thing he needs to focus on is the top line.  Period. Now and forever.  Sure, cost cutting matters, but that's a 2nd order consideration.  If he monkey fucks the football program, which it looks like is trying his best to do, none of the other shit matters - staff cuts, mid level hires, whatever.  No one will have jobs, including himself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure many posters know how Herman's "$15 million" buyout actually works. 

If he's canned, we do not cut him a  lump sum check for $15 million.  He gets 5 million a year for the next three years, which is slightly less than the ~$6 million we would pay him per year if he coaches out his contract.  I would assume it's a very similar deal for the assistants, but I can't locate a copy of their contracts online.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same setup.  In that sense -- and putting pandemic effects aside - that money has already been budgeted and is expected to be (and will be) paid out per month, regardless of what happens with Herman.  

The true, incremental spending effect of bringing in a new coach would be the salary of the new coach and any new net assistants for the 2-3 years that both sets of coaches are on the payroll.  That is far less than the "$25 million!!" you see quoted in the media.

Or, I could be completely full of shit.  That's just my understanding from reading Herman's old contract.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If Texas were to get Urban Meyer as its Head Football Coach, Longhorn football fans won't give a fuck about yesterday's CDC statement on Mensa...
Yep.

If it is not Meyer, honestly I'm probably ok with Herman sticking around another year. I didn't want Herman when he was hired. I wasn't wowed by him in year 1 and certainly not year 4. Maybe Meyer starts thinking on it and come October he's ready. Maybe Herman catches lightning in a bottle next year - could be good or bad for longer term growth. Maybe just maybe he's learned some humility. Campbell may be the only name that would satisfy a majority and I wouldn't think he'd come here. Mullen has proven Jack squat. He's lucky Georgia didn't put USC boy in at QB otherwise he'd be sitting on 3 losses.

If I'm not mistaken, this year's recruiting class will likely finish higher than this senior class did. The highest ranked classes are the meat of the roster next year. Singularly, it will not kill a program. Might not even hurt it. Might be a little irony at the QB position. Pretty sure the guy we are getting was a Matt Campbell commit. And just guessing Campbell thinks he could win the 12.

If CDC truly screwed up getting Meyer, that is one thing. But yeah alternate choices at that cost with the odds being we lock up mediocrity for 3 to 5 years is not good. Keeping Herman another year likely gives us more flexibility for the next 2 to 5 years.

CDCs statement yesterday allows flexibility. I'm not convinced Meyer is not an option. Publicly I don't know what CDC could have done. Probably only reel in Meyer.

Yall can cuss me all you want but I'll likely be in my seats again next year. Herman or not.
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yep.

If it is not Meyer, honestly I'm probably ok with Herman sticking around another year. I didn't want Herman when he was hired. I wasn't wowed by him in year 1 and certainly not year 4. Maybe Meyer starts thinking on it and come October he's ready. Maybe Herman catches lightning in a bottle next year - could be good or bad for longer term growth. Maybe just maybe he's learned some humility. Campbell may be the only name that would satisfy a majority and I wouldn't think he'd come here. Mullen has proven Jack squat. He's lucky Georgia didn't put USC boy in at QB otherwise he'd be sitting on 3 losses.

If I'm not mistaken, this year's recruiting class will likely finish higher than this senior class did. The highest ranked classes are the meat of the roster next year. Singularly, it will not kill a program. Might not even hurt it. Might be a little irony at the QB position. Pretty sure the guy we are getting was a Matt Campbell commit. And just guessing Campbell thinks he could win the 12.

If CDC truly screwed up getting Meyer, that is one thing. But yeah alternate choices at that cost with the odds being we lock up mediocrity for 3 to 5 years is not good. Keeping Herman another year likely gives us more flexibility for the next 2 to 5 years.

CDCs statement yesterday allows flexibility. I'm not convinced Meyer is not an option. Publicly I don't know what CDC could have done. Probably only reel in Meyer.

Yall can cuss me all you want but I'll likely be in my seats again next year. Herman or not.

Yeah this is fucking bad take  from someone who knows jack shit about recruiting. Keeping Herman for another year insures that the next coach is looking at another +4 year rebuild and we are right back to where we were in 2013 and have completely wasted a decade and allowed OU OSU and the SEC pillage the instate talent.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

CDC is not stupid. 

Image 12-13-20 at 8.57 AM.jpeg

Everyone assumed this was a great move because "we were back", bevo almost gored uga, life was good.

Hindsight is 20/20.  But in the real world, this decision, and whoever was responsible for it, gets shot.

Was this CDC's idea?  Or maybe the houston cigars?  It doesn't matter now, but it would be nice to know, so when the time comes, and it will, those responsible can answer for it, because it is the root cause that will see us wandering in the wilderness for at least another 44 months minimum.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That sounds like a bunch of generic bullshit. If his last few months are any indication, CDC won’t ever get the opportunity to implement this generic plan. 

Hartzell has the utmost confidence in CDC. That, I can assure you.

And there isn't any secret to the plan - Priority 1) stabilize the financial impact of COVID, help develop and implement NIL, finish the SEZ and bball projects. Priority 2) evaluate program head coaches, participate in preliminary media rights renewal discussions, participate in realignment discussions.

That takes us to 2023. From there, evaluate priorities. Wash, rinse, repeat.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Everyone assumed this was a great move because "we were back", bevo almost gored uga, life was good.

Hindsight is 20/20.  But in the real world, this decision, and whoever was responsible for it, gets shot.

Was this CDC's idea?  Or maybe the houston cigars?  It doesn't matter now, but it would be nice to know, so when the time comes, and it will, those responsible can answer for it, because it is the root cause that will see us wandering in the wilderness for at least another 44 months minimum.

well, not everyone assumed it was a great move at the time . . . 

There's this rumored narrative that the extension was Fenves' idea and he really pushed for it, but I find that hard to believe.  That sounds like a "blame it on the guy that's gone" excuse.  To me, the extension has CDC written all over it. 

CDC is an event planner, not someone that should be in charge of big boy coaching/contract decisions.  

3 hours ago, texanbychoice said:

If you read CDC’s comments and think it means Herman will be our coach next season....you are not smart.

I read the statement and thought what a completely useless and unnecessary thing to say. Then I watched ESPN scroll that Herman would coach Texas in 2021 about 400 times during the UF vs LSU game.  

We’re Texas.  What happens here makes the rest of the college football world point and laugh.  

Yeah this is fucking bad take  from someone who knows jack shit about recruiting. Keeping Herman for another year insures that the next coach is looking at another +4 year rebuild and we are right back to where we were in 2013 and have completely wasted a decade and allowed OU OSU and the SEC pillage the instate talent.
Wrong cupcake.

I'm no recruiting guru but I know how all these guys are ranked. I know the schools.

This recruiting class will not tank the program. And if you were man enough to think critically, we are ushering out a senior class plus Cosmi that was lower rated and produced limited contributors. Yet we all had expectations of BCS playoff or bust with that class included. And Cosmi and Kerstetter were not highly ranked. You follow up with another one like it then it gets tougher. But OU made multiple runs to the BCS playoff with less than stellar classes. And the Portal is a gamechanger anyway.

Now if we have significant attrition, that's concerning. Robinson, Smith, Whittingon, Johnson, Wiley. That's a damn good Corps. Thompson will be fine. If not Thompson, Card's a good alternative.

What I'm telling you is that it is very possible that an inadequate can do more damage longer term than keeping Herman.

The true, incremental spending effect of bringing in a new coach would be the salary of the new coach and any new net assistants for the 2-3 years that both sets of coaches are on the payroll.  That is far less than the "$25 million!!" you see quoted in the media.
Or, I could be completely full of shit.  That's just my understanding from reading Herman's old contract.  

$12M/year for CUM would be $36M for 3 years before you even pay for assistants, hookers, and blow.

47 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Priority 1) stabilize the financial impact of COVID, help develop and implement NIL, finish the SEZ and bball projects. Priority 2) evaluate program head coaches, participate in preliminary media rights renewal discussions, participate in realignment discussions.

That takes us to 2023.

Jesus Fucking Christ. This is why we're Texas. Even if it's not true, just the idea that we have fans that think doing this would be some kind of uber 4D chess way of operating an athletic department.

WIN. SOME. FUCKING. FOOTBALL. GAMES.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Wrong cupcake.

I'm no recruiting guru but I know how all these guys are ranked. I know the schools.

This recruiting class will not tank the program. And if you were man enough to think critically, we are ushering out a senior class plus Cosmi that was lower rated and produced limited contributors. Yet we all had expectations of BCS playoff or bust with that class included. And Cosmi and Kerstetter were not highly ranked. You follow up with another one like it then it gets tougher. But OU made multiple runs to the BCS playoff with less than stellar classes. And the Portal is a gamechanger anyway.

Now if we have significant attrition, that's concerning. Robinson, Smith, Whittingon, Johnson, Wiley. That's a damn good Corps. Thompson will be fine. If not Thompson, Card's a good alternative.

What I'm telling you is that it is very possible that an inadequate can do more damage longer term than keeping Herman.

If we can't win make the B12 title game with this rooster what makes you think we are going to make it with an even less talented one in the future? We are not OU so stop trying to point to them, if we where OU we wouldn't be having this conversation. The portal only works if you have something to offer the transfers which Texas currently doesn't have for any players worth anything. Whittingon can't stay healthy for more than 4 quarters so he add nothing at this point, the QB and running backs will be fucked when our shit O line rolls over and dies because of poor coaching and recruiting and O line recruiting has become dire enough that any coach comming into Texas is going to stuggle with. There are massive holes in this roster at OL, WR, and LB it will only get worse as recruiting collapses even more under another year of Herman and setting up the next coach for failure.

Edited by Not a Sock

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

See this isn’t true (about doing his best to limit the damage). He let Herman twist in the wind for 2 months and then gave the most tepid endorsement ever. If Herman is actually on the sidelines 9/21 then CDC will be responsible for one of the worst self owns one the entire history of college football (and that’s not the least bit hyperbolic). 
I choose to believe he’s not a low grade moron so I believe Herman isn’t coming back, but if he is we’ve fucked this up six ways to Sunday and CDC should be getting his walking papers. 

Is it not within the realm of possibility that CDC was hopeful that he wouldn't need to endorse Herman at all?  Sometimes Plan A doesn't work out, and money can't buy what you want.  Herman being on the sidelines on 9/21 is only a fuck up if CDC did or didn't do something that prevented the best long term coaching option from taking the job.  Firing Herman without that option locked up would be asinine, as we would then be in a position where we might be forced to settle for someone considerably worse.  And that assumes that the money needed to get rid of Herman is unconditionally available regardless of whether a replacement has been secured.    

Look on the bright side.  A tepid endorsement gives us all hope that it was merely lip service, and not an indication that CDC actually believes that Herman is the answer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

CDC is doing exactly what he needs to do to limit damage caused by uncertainty while continuing to work toward ensuring that the future of the program ends up in the best possible hands.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows what is at stake.  He is as unhappy with the level of performance as any of us.  If the best possible coaching change could have happened by now, it would have.

i'm trying real hard to justify supporting cdc because 1) he listens to us and talks to us 2) the tower has his back and we need long game 3) he inherited plonsky/belmont/deloss' mess that patterson punted.  i'm trying real hard to support your position on CDC.  you've been consistent with this position.  i removed the tone from your message.  your tone could be interpreted as you having a tangential connection to CDC.

knowing what's at stake, being as unhappy as the zealots ("us"), doing everything he could to land the only change that would make a difference, all good.

yesterday's statement was ill-conceived and poorly received.

48 minutes ago, jinx said:

I read the statement and thought what a completely useless and unnecessary thing to say. Then I watched ESPN scroll that Herman would coach Texas in 2021 about 400 times during the UF vs LSU game.     We’re Texas.  What happens here makes the rest of the college football world point and laugh.  

Don't really care about "the rest of college football world". 

Let them all laugh -- who gives a shit.  

Get a great Head Football Coach, kick ass,  and Longhorn Fans celebrate... 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm trying real hard to justify supporting cdc because 1) he listens to us and talks to us 2) the tower has his back and we need long game 3) he inherited plonsky/belmont/deloss' mess that patterson punted.  i'm trying real hard to support your position on CDC.  you've been consistent with this position.  i removed the tone from your message.  your tone could be interpreted as you having a tangential connection to CDC.

knowing what's at stake, being as unhappy as the zealots ("us"), doing everything he could to land the only change that would make a difference, all good.

yesterday's statement was ill-conceived and poorly received.

I have no connection to CDC or anyone else associated with UT athletics.  I just happen to appreciate the scope of the job that we entrusted to him, and believe that he is far better equipped to do it well than the pretenders, interims, and burnouts that got us here.  When things aren't going well, it's a thankless job.  I'm a firm believer in stability and patience, but I can appreciate that the latter is in very short supply around here.  

I want what everyone else wants, but I appear to be in the minority regarding the best way to get there.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Hartzell has the utmost confidence in CDC. That, I can assure you.

And there isn't any secret to the plan - Priority 1) stabilize the financial impact of COVID, help develop and implement NIL, finish the SEZ and bball projects. Priority 2) evaluate program head coaches, participate in preliminary media rights renewal discussions, participate in realignment discussions.

That takes us to 2023. From there, evaluate priorities. Wash, rinse, repeat.

What does Mr. Henry think of the plan?  Jesus, even Dignan came up with a better plan than this.

CC8E715E-809E-4D3E-AA54-315D0EF6CFFA.jpeg

17 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I have no connection to CDC or anyone else associated with UT athletics.  I just happen to appreciate the scope of the job that we entrusted to him, and believe that he is far better equipped to do it well than the pretenders, interims, and burnouts that got us here.  When things aren't going well, it's a thankless job.  I'm a firm believer in stability and patience, but I can appreciate that the latter is in very short supply around here.  

I want what everyone else wants, but I appear to be in the minority regarding the best way to get there.  

meh - getting paid $50 to ump a 12U baseball game in August with dad coaches that don't understand the infield fly rule is a thankless job.   

UT gives CDC over 2 million "thank yous" a year for his work.  And he's failing badly on the only stage that really matters for his job.  He deserves all the heat he's taking.  

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Ha - this sounds like proper decision making if you are a government accountant with guaranteed funding.  

The most critical thing he needs to focus on is the top line.  Period. Now and forever.  Sure, cost cutting matters, but that's a 2nd order consideration.  If he monkey fucks the football program, which it looks like is trying his best to do, none of the other shit matters - staff cuts, mid level hires, whatever.  No one will have jobs, including himself.  

This is the other side of the "please leave CDC alone" position.

Observe, Lord Burghley:

20220910 Alabama

20230909 @ Alabama

20240907 @ Michigan

20250830 Ohio State

20260905 @ Ohio State

20270911 Michigan

20280902 Georgia

20290901 @ Georgia

20300907 @ Florida

20310906 Florida

Keeping thermensa for whatever reason is fiscal suicide.  The 22 bama game will be the hardest ticket in 7 years (domer '16).  It *should* have been seen as the launching point for a playoff bid.  22 is also the most logical year for a revenge match in redstick.  don't want it now.  half this board will be dead before that game gets scheduled.

*REGARDLESS* of the hand dealt to CDC, we're Cal until something changes, and the possibility of resuming top line acceleration from the alabama series is gone.

58 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Is it not within the realm of possibility that CDC was hopeful that he wouldn't need to endorse Herman at all?  Sometimes Plan A doesn't work out, and money can't buy what you want.  Herman being on the sidelines on 9/21 is only a fuck up if CDC did or didn't do something that prevented the best long term coaching option from taking the job.  Firing Herman without that option locked up would be asinine, as we would then be in a position where we might be forced to settle for someone considerably worse.  And that assumes that the money needed to get rid of Herman is unconditionally available regardless of whether a replacement has been secured.    

Look on the bright side.  A tepid endorsement gives us all hope that it was merely lip service, and not an indication that CDC actually believes that Herman is the answer.  

No- it would be a terrible self own bc he didn’t get out in front of shutting down rumors and let recruiting and program momentum wither on the vine when he could have helped some with those issues- instead of throwing a bucket of gas on the smoldering dumpster fire Mensa was working on. 
It would be idiotic self sabotage of the highest order. It’s not even playing checkers it’s like uno or go fish. 
I’d really like to believe the guy we have in the C suite purportedly calling the shots on our program isn’t actually dumb as a bucket of hair- but I guess time will tell. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1