Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

On 12/7/2020 at 6:48 AM, bschoolprof said:

Where would he be going from Texas? If someone wants him enough to get in a bidding war, we might be in the position to win that one. 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:08 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Dumbass, no, the recruits themselves can barely read. But they and their uncles get told by others how likely it is the coach they're signing to play for will be there two or four years down the road. And that's not a difficult thing to interpret contractually. 

Then you guarantee a salary for the entire contract, but make guaranteed base less per year. Six million while coach is coaching, but only, say, three million if coach is not coaching. It would be ideal for an incentive-laden contract if the base is significantly less. Guaranteeing six mil a year is stupid if you can structure it for a three or four mil base with incentives that double or triple it for winning the CFP.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yes, by all means, let's blame him for somebody else's decision. 🙄

If CDC, as AD, wasn't allowed to be in-charge of Herman's contract bump, then he should have quit. He chose to stay. One of his many mistakes. How is this not obvious? 

37 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If CDC, as AD, wasn't allowed to be in-charge of Herman's contract bump, then he should have quit. He chose to stay. One of his many mistakes. How is this not obvious? 

Just because something isn’t obvious to you doesn’t mean the rest of us are confused. 

(Your premise. It’s wrong)

So either Tom Herman is coming back and CDC didn't explicitly state it in his statement.

or

CDC purposely released a vague statement about Tom Herman's future that does nothing positive for him, Herman or the program.

Either way this seems like a pretty incompetent day for him. I continue to be unimpressed by Chris Del Conte.

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I think it's time for us to come to grips with the possibility that CDC is not very good at what he does here on the 40 acres.

I've been on this for a bit. Sure, he's great st hiring softball and WBB, but uh, it's a little frustrating when he's dragging his feet for a sport that churns out cash. 

I may be wrong but I don’t think CDC is an idiot. He knows reporters are trying to clarify if he meant that Herman will be back coaching the 2021 season, and he hasn’t come out and said that - would be super easy to clarify this and remove all confusion.

Herman may get lucky if CDC can’t land the right candidate, but I still think Herman is most likely gone.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think CDC is an idiot. He knows reporters are trying to clarify if he meant that Herman will be back coaching the 2021 season, and he hasn’t come out and said that - would be super easy to clarify this and remove all confusion.

Herman may get lucky if CDC can’t land the right candidate, but I still think Herman is most likely gone.

I hope you're right but fear you're wrong.  

19 minutes ago, elguapo said:

He has clarified this to the Statesman unfortunately. CDC and Tom need to be fired. 

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

He clarified it to AAS personally.  His statement is just so poorly written that he had to have clarifying phone calls with reporters.  

Del Conte later confirmed in a phone call with the American-Statesman that his statement means Herman will be UT's coach in 2021. A second UT source confirmed this as well. 

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2020/12/12/texas-ad-tom-herman-remain-longhorns/6521741002/?a=a&utm_source=statesman-News Alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news_alerts&utm_term=news_alert