Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

He has not mishandled them - outside of being premature (in retrospect) to give Herman an extension.  He just hasn't moved as fast a many people around here want him too.  I firmly believe Shaka would have been gone if the Spring season had not been brought to a halt.  We'll never know.  Shaka gets an extra year to try to prove something.  Herman is on the way out and all the tea leaves point to CDC doing what he can to make the biggest hire possible.  Yes, judge him on those two moves, but it's still in front of us and the hires he has made so far look like a good track record is being built.

Shaka has been here 6 years and hasn’t done shit. Basketball isn’t like football where it takes a few years. He’s a dog shit coach and has had elite talent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

I agree that he's on the clock.  But the fact of the matter is that 98% of the criticism leveled at CDC around here is borne from frustration over the state of the football program, not really over anything CDC has done or should have done.  Yes, they are related, but if he makes this move and does it right, in retrospect it will look like it was handled and timed properly.

He shouldn’t have gave that extension. That was a colossal fuck up on his part. He gambled and lost. 

• Like 1

He shouldn’t have gave that extension. That was a colossal fuck up on his part. He gambled and lost. 
This is the huge knock on his tenure so far. It was a giant misstep that even from a risk reward perspective made no sense. Herman wasn't going anywhere regardless, so why extend? That painted us into a much worse corner at the moment. We can navigate out of it, but it's harder than it needed to be and that's on cdc.

The extension came 5 months after Tom had just won a Sugar Bowl and everyone was riding high, even though we still had lots of things we needed to fix. Even with that, the idea of a semi veteran line, 16 returning starters and Sam looking like a then Heisman contender there was little reason to believe we weren't on the rise.

Only Hermdog could turn that momentum 180 degrees, pull it's pants down and goose it in the rear so fantastically and show us that Tom is nothing if not consistent in his mediocrity. CDC may have gotten bamboozled by the burning desire to win, but we all did. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

The extension came 5 months after Tom had just won a Sugar Bowl and everyone was riding high, even though we still had lots of things we needed to fix. Even with that, the idea of a semi veteran line, 16 returning starters and Sam looking like a then Heisman contender there was little reason to believe we weren't on the rise.

Only Hermdog could turn that momentum 180 degrees, pull it's pants down and goose it in the rear so fantastically and show us that Tom is nothing if not consistent in his mediocrity. CDC may have gotten bamboozled by the burning desire to win, but we all did. 

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

-- Mensa

To be fair, although it would seem that extensions and the terms of them would be solely in CDCs discretion, there are a lot of fucked up dynamics in our Athletic Department.

We have no idea what type of pressures the administration or BMD put on him.  I could see the administration pressuring him to give a longer extension to avoid the embarrassment of a revolving head football coach.  I could see Houston BMD doing it just to swing their dicks around and to underscore the great victory they achieved on behalf of Texas football.

Plus, when you factor in that Herman's reps are probably shooting for the moon, CDC and the lawyers have to take even stupid-ass proposals (like three years fully guaranteed) to the administration, regents, and to some extent BMD.  God knows what they told him to do over his objection.

It has been pointed out that a one- or two-year extension is pretty commonplace to insure continuity of recruiting.  Three years with guaranteed money is absurd, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 hours ago, tjhooker said:

CDC will only be judged on mainly what he does with football/basketball where he is failing greatly.  He has mishandled those 2 programs to be kind. 

at Texas you can add baseball to that list.  if football and baseball are right, basketball can be above average but not Shaka bad.  at this point he's only responsible for the herman extension from a decision standpoint.  hopefully he has a plan on all 3.

1 hour ago, 77horn said:

Holy crap.  Did you notice the url for that tweet contains "chris-del-conte-called-a-booster-last-week-asking-for-money-to-buyout-herman-and-confirmed-he-had-urban-meyers-verbal-commitment"

Not sure that url post is legit... Beware trolls right now

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I saw this on Twitter a couple of weeks ago, I think.  I wondered to myself; “What ties does Arthur Blank have to UT?”  Anyway, what a generous gift.  My respect level for him just skyrocketed and I hope his Falcons are wildly successful (not that he need more$$, but..)

And also, huge kudos to the young lady leading the study/program.  What a selfless contribution to people in need. 
“What starts here...”🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lmao. Well the “goals are still in front of us” is going to be the drum he keeps pounding. That and COVID and short off-season. It’s not surprising. Given what we know of Tom (from his pressers alone), we can’t expect anything less/more. What else is he going to say? I think he does believe if he wins the Big 12 he will be back for 2021. This may or may not be true. None of us really know. I’d like to believe that if we do not win the Big 12 he’s gone. I’d have fired him after TCU. But “our goals...” this is already backfiring fairly drastically. Everyone in MSM knows we want Urban. Tom just trots out there and says whatever he wants. Geez. It’s just a shit show. And if all the fucking rumors are true, that Tom is a DMW, then you jettison the guy like SC did Muschamp damnit. You don’t let him linger. What possible good is that going to do. With 15 returning seniors and a media-consensus senior Heisman candidate (well was) QB and in a year when the conference is awful we still look like shit. Fucking Tom. But I mean what is he gonna say? Sorry for the rant. This was a big fear of mine...go to Big 12, get beat badly. Possibly lose out on some great coaching candidates (if Urban doesn’t pan out) bc we dicked around with Tom. 

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Lmao. Well the “goals are still in front of us” is going to be the drum he keeps pounding. That and COVID and short off-season. It’s not surprising. Given what we know of Tom (from his pressers alone), we can’t expect anything less/more. What else is he going to say? I think he does believe if he wins the Big 12 he will be back for 2021. This may or may not be true. None of us really know. I’d like to believe that if we do not win the Big 12 he’s gone. I’d have fired him after TCU. But “our goals...” this is already backfiring fairly drastically. Everyone in MSM knows we want Urban. Tom just trots out there and says whatever he wants. Geez. It’s just a shit show. And if all the fucking rumors are true, that Tom is a DMW, then you jettison the guy like SC did Muschamp damnit. You don’t let him linger. What possible good is that going to do. With 15 returning seniors and a media-consensus senior Heisman candidate (well was) QB and in a year when the conference is awful we still look like shit. Fucking Tom. But I mean what is he gonna say? Sorry for the rant. This was a big fear of mine...go to Big 12, get beat badly. Possibly lose out on some great coaching candidates (if Urban doesn’t pan out) bc we dicked around with Tom. 

So if all their goals are still in front of them then apparently it was their goal at the start of the season to not make the playoffs.  I don't think most of the BMDs and CDC would agree that all their goals are in front of them.

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1