Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

40 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

So sick and tired of everyone tap dancing around these alleged off the field issues.  Either say what they were, or completely shut the fuck about them even existing.  

It's been discussed, Herman and Warehime were cloggers.

watch-4_7_2020.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

That’s not how the internet works. First we tap dance around them, then one or two trickle out to remain as internet fact forever. Surly patrons will then post references to said internet fact, forever brow beating the board for eternity or the next name change.

Exactly!  I hate when they do that....

• Hook 'Em 1

My take on all this is we are seeing just how toxic UT football culture can get. Having our fifth AD and/or fourth head football coach within seven years would be a rather damning indictment of UT football. I'm on the "ride the storm out" bandwagon on this one. We have a number of options, but none of them seem like a true solution.

No. The "damning indictment of UT football" is that UT doesn't develop players, loses year-in, year-out to the likes of fucking TCU and Iowa State, doesn't play for conference championships, and isn't even in the discussion for playoffs. I'm not worried about recruits and fans seeing us upgrade our coaches. That's a good thing. I'm worried about people seeing what we look like on the field.

The solution is not to "ride out" a Charlie Strong or Tom Herman. The solution is to fire him as soon as you realize he's a fraud and hire a real football coach.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

I'll say it over and over again, CDC is out of his league here.  This isn't TCU.  He wears nice suits, can fundraise, and has done a decent job of improving the game experience.  Outside of that, he has no clue how to run a successful football program like tOSU, Bama, Clemson.  Who was his major coaching hire?  You guys are morons if you think Fenves extended Herman.  I don't think Fenves knows one damn thing about football.  You really think Herman and his agent went above his boss's head (CDC) to get the extension?  If that is true, Fenves would have deferred to CDC.  It's quite convenient that when this extension is viewed as a big blunder, it starts to leak from his mouth pieces that it was Fenves who extended him.  What a load of bullshit.  He should have been fired last year and this moron gave him a whole new coaching staff.  Hmm... I wonder if that ever fucking works?  I mean, it wasn't like we tried that exact same scenario with Charlie Strong to end up with the same fucking results.  We have a gawd damn amateur running the athletic department and I for one am happy that Hartzell and the BOR are running this show so we don't end up with fucking Dykes or Franklin.  

CDC needs to be reassigned.  Let Meyer pick his AD.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

No. The "damning indictment of UT football" is that UT doesn't develop players, loses year-in, year-out to the likes of fucking TCU and Iowa State, doesn't play for conference championships, and isn't even in the discussion for playoffs. I'm not worried about recruits and fans seeing us upgrade our coaches. That's a good thing. I'm worried about people seeing what we look like on the field.

The solution is not to "ride out" a Charlie Strong or Tom Herman. The solution is to fire him as soon as you realize he's a fraud and hire a real football coach.

College football is live sports entertainment. As long as the games generate ticket sales and TV ratings, the AD is going to be content. If there is no sign of financial impact due to on-field performance, the AD isn't going to make a coaching change, and nothing about 2020 is meaningful when gauging ticket demand or television ratings.

The program badly needs some level of stability. Five athletics directors and/or four head football coaches in a 7 year span is all one needs to tell the program is completely out of control.

I can fully appreciate there are people who want the head coach fired. But people always want the head coach fired. And those same people want the coach fired using other people's money.

At some point, the AD needs to take a much longer view of things. I believe CDC is doing exactly this.

It was only September when UT athletics had to lay off staff and institute salary reductions because of financial issues. To now claim "money is no object" and spend $40 million on coaching a change would be horribly counterproductive to the long term health of UT athletics.

The first priority is to stabilize Bellmont's finances. The SEZ project needs to get completed. Coaching changes have to wait. Gotta play the long game this time.

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I'll say it over and over again, CDC is out of his league here.  This isn't TCU.  He wears nice suits, can fundraise, and has done a decent job of improving the game experience.  Outside of that, he has no clue how to run a successful football program like tOSU, Bama, Clemson.  Who was his major coaching hire?  You guys are morons if you think Fenves extended Herman.  I don't think Fenves knows one damn thing about football.  You really think Herman and his agent went above his boss's head (CDC) to get the extension?  If that is true, Fenves would have deferred to CDC.  It's quite convenient that when this extension is viewed as a big blunder, it starts to leak from his mouth pieces that it was Fenves who extended him.  What a load of bullshit.  He should have been fired last year and this moron gave him a whole new coaching staff.  Hmm... I wonder if that ever fucking works?  I mean, it wasn't like we tried that exact same scenario with Charlie Strong to end up with the same fucking results.  We have a gawd damn amateur running the athletic department and I for one am happy that Hartzell and the BOR are running this show so we don't end up with fucking Dykes or Franklin.  

CDC needs to be reassigned.  Let Meyer pick his AD.

Who gives a shit about the extension. Herman isn't even in the top 10 for head football coach salaries. For recruiting purposes, head coach contracts are routinely extended to make sure the coach has at least four years left. If he was extended and is being paid less than his peers, I'm not going to fire the AD.

And no, Fenves did not extend Herman's contract. Fevnes deferred to his AD in all things athletics. Fenves openly admitted on many occasions he didn't know much about managing the athletics department.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

NSD and Herman still employed. Unbelievable. CDC should be fired. 

It's obvious this is all according to somebody's plan. Is it CDC's? Urban's? Who fucking knows. I'm hearing from more and more sources that have ties in to people who would know that Herman is not coming back for 2021. I feel very confident that is going to be the case so why not cut him loose immediately? Herman is still HC because of either: 1) NSD1 issues; 2) until we find the replacement; or 3) OSU's season gets to a point where Urban can get the guys he wants to join him.

Ok - the big dogs have signed - time to make our move (if one is being made)

Get rid of this fuckwit and get Urban. Barring that I would be fine in firing Herman and just having coordinators with no head coach for season. Have an intern shake a Magic 8 ball for answers to the stupid press conference questions the gaggle of assclowns that cover UT football ask.

The team couldn't do any worse.

^
Good point.  The bowl game we're most likely to play in is just 13 days away.  What the fuck are we waiting for?  To let Herman install his genius bowl game plan?  

I'm the first to admit, his bowl game record is impressive and against damn good teams.  But it ain't $6mm/year good.  

14 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

What I have deduced from all of this is that we(CDC) are scared to death of having an interim coach (Ash) in place for a few weeks. The questions is why... optics? recruiting fallout? CDC appearing incompetent? (too late for that one LOL)

Because firing him now means an absolute commitment to hiring a new coach when there aren't any great options out there.

You know what's worse than keeping Tom Herman?  Hiring another Tom Herman for a five-year deal.

You could argue that we could keep Ash or Yurcich on as an interim into next season.  Well, you want to see recruiting fucking crater?  Let's try having an interim coach through an entire recruiting cycle.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

What I have deduced from all of this is that we(CDC) are scared to death of having an interim coach (Ash) in place for a few weeks. The questions is why... optics? recruiting fallout? CDC appearing incompetent? (too late for that one LOL)

The leverage is bad enough right now. Firing the existing coach makes it worse. What does firing Herman right now do for the program?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'd be cool with Meyer as AD - Football Programs 

This is actually a good idea. Gives them the opportunity to up his pay and removes Crystal from the equation. Reports directly to the President and telegraphs that he'll be responsible for hiring his replacement.

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Snacks said:

The leverage is bad enough right now. Firing the existing coach makes it worse. What does firing Herman right now do for the program?

1. It would immediately demonstrate our commitment to finding a championship caliber coach.

2. It would demonstrate our lack of tolerance for immature, arrogant narcissists that fuel off field issues. 

3. It would help silence the messy background noise about us searching for a coach and TH reaching out to other schools while employed.

There are positives and negatives tp each route. Obviously we do run the risk of hiring another coach that’s over his head.

13 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

1. It would immediately demonstrate our commitment to finding a championship caliber coach.

2. It would demonstrate our lack of tolerance for immature, arrogant narcissists that fuel off field issues. 

3. It would help silence the messy background noise about us searching for a coach and TH reaching out to other schools while employed.

There are positives and negatives tp each route. Obviously we do run the risk of hiring another coach that’s over his head.

All of these would make YOU feel better.  There's no evidence that this would make recruits feel better, or the current team, that's just rank speculation.

We are in uncertainty hell right now and have been since the Meyer rumor "broke."  Nothing is going to fix it except a home-run hire that doesn't appear to be feasible at the moment.

To argue otherwise is to argue that someone, anyone is better than Herman.  That might ultimately prove to be true, but for now and the foreseeable future, it's rank speculation.

It's all just pissing on spark plugs.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

So sick and tired of everyone tap dancing around these alleged off the field issues.  Either say what they were, or completely shut the fuck about them even existing.  

He's a drunk and has been publicly shitfaced at ACC multiple times.  There are rumors that he blows coke.  He also apparently has been dicking a horsefaced jewelry maker.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

College football is live sports entertainment. As long as the games generate ticket sales and TV ratings, the AD is going to be content. If there is no sign of financial impact due to on-field performance, the AD isn't going to make a coaching change, and nothing about 2020 is meaningful when gauging ticket demand or television ratings.

The program badly needs some level of stability. Five athletics directors and/or four head football coaches in a 7 year span is all one needs to tell the program is completely out of control.

I can fully appreciate there are people who want the head coach fired. But people always want the head coach fired. And those same people want the coach fired using other people's money.

At some point, the AD needs to take a much longer view of things. I believe CDC is doing exactly this.

It was only September when UT athletics had to lay off staff and institute salary reductions because of financial issues. To now claim "money is no object" and spend $40 million on coaching a change would be horribly counterproductive to the long term health of UT athletics.

The first priority is to stabilize Bellmont's finances. The SEZ project needs to get completed. Coaching changes have to wait. Gotta play the long game this time.

I don’t disagree that these are important priorities. I’m just not sure you can separate them from the coaching issues when supposedly the BMD’s are saying that their funding of those projects will dry up if Herman remains the coach. 

37 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

1. Demonstrate to who? Pissy impatient fans?

2. Urban Meyer is literally 10xs more immature & arrogant than Herman and has way more off the field issues. Stop pretending that this matters if he wins.

3. Firing Herman would make this worse. 

Firing Herman right now only makes since if Urban is literally packing his shit ready to move to Austin

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I would recommend to people the Everyone Gets a Trophy podcast that dropped last night.  For those not familiar, it's done by Scipio Tex (Paul Wadlington) from IT and Kevin Dunn from The Horn FM.  To hear Scipio tell it, CDC was the one who extended Herman after the Sugar Bowl (Fenves wasn't mentioned), and then when Herman had some significant off the field incidents that reflected poorly on his ability to lead the program (they had to be real careful dancing around specifics on these), CDC failed to properly document these incidents and counsel Herman on them from an HR perspective.  When CDC started to get wind that Herman might not survive the year, all his efforts at laying the groundwork for a coaching change were towards getting  - James Franklin.

I heard this too and was confused at the whole "off the field incidents" part. Why mention it if you aren't going to tell us what that is?

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

2. Urban Meyer is literally 10xs more immature & arrogant than Herman and has way more off the field issues. Stop pretending that this matters if he wins.

More immature as in mocking an opposing team's QB on national television, carrying baseball bats on a team bus, trying to own lockers with a sledge hammer, faux head-butting, kissing his players on the lips, double birding the camera on LHN, and knows what the hell else clown-like shit Herman pulls off that hasn't been reported.  The guy's 45 going on 25.   And Meyer is 10X more immature?   Got it. 

We damn sure want our coach to have some arrogance about him.  187-32 and national championships at two schools gives you that pass.   31-18 record does not. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I don’t disagree that these are important priorities. I’m just not sure you can separate them from the coaching issues when supposedly the BMD’s are saying that their funding of those projects will dry up if Herman remains the coach. 

The SEZ and Moody projects are already funded.

The petulant shits who think their priorities are the only priority that matters will have to find another empty threat to make "to support the program."

I'm not sure how prevalent the attitude is among the donor base, but the "BMDs" who threaten to turn their backs on the program unless they personally get their way are a cancer, not an asset to the program.

You simply can't layoff staff and institute salary cuts out of financial necessity on Sept 1 and on Dec 1 declare "money is no object," and bring in a new head football coach at a massively higher salary than the old one. Do that, and the new coach would instantly be the most resented person on campus, with staff willingly undermining him at every move out of spite.

That, in short order, would set the overall athletics program back and would lead to uncontrolled leaks to the media that would cost the overall athletics program dearly. We don't want or need the head football coach to be despised by the entirety of the athletics department, all to appease the most self-centered members of the alumni base.

The financial ramifications of COVID are substantial and will soon be felt in full effect. And it's not going to be pretty.

In light of this, the BMDs who demand to have their way "or else," can go to Hell.

https://texassports.com/news/2020/9/1/forty-acres-insider-sept-1.aspx

• 26 contracted coaches and administrators voluntarily agreed to take temporary salary reductions (beginning Sept.1 through Aug. 31, 2021 )
  • 273 staff members will receive temporary salary reductions, and 11 staff members will be temporarily furloughed with benefits (beginning Oct. 16 through Aug. 31, 2021)
  • 35 staff members will be laid off 
  • 35 vacant positions will be permanently eliminated
Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I’m sure you know this stuff better than I do, but by “funded” do you mean the money has already changed hands? Or is it merely pledged?

If the money for SEZ and Moody are already sitting in the University accounts, or bonds have been bought, whatever, then how does a coaching search distract CDC if he already has the funding he needs for those? The buyout money for a new coach would be new money coming from the BMD’s who want to make it happened. Sorry, but I’m sincerely not following your argument. 

I should add that the podcast also praised CDC for everything else he does as AD, just that he had bungled the handling of the football coach situation, both as to Herman’s status and in looking for a potential replacement. 

Edited by Duane Moore

I don't really buy the "we should keep Herman because there are no great options out there" argument.    

What's magically going to change next year?  We think 7-8 football games played next year are going to be the key data points allowing us to divine who is truly the "right" coach? Or that some known guru is going to suddenly become available? 

What if, and this is the most likely scenario, we are in the same place (with both Herman and the job market) that we are in right now:  a shitty coach who's obviously not the guy and a field of zero home-run hires? 

The truth is anyone we could get next year we almost certainly could get this year.  The time to act is now. I'd rather roll the dice with a short-term, incentive laden contract for a new up and comer than just stand pat with the guy we know is not the guy.   We shouldn't let a desire for perfection stand in the way of improvement.  

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I don't really buy the "we should keep Herman because there are no great options out there" argument.    

Just stop right there.  Nothing else needs to be said.  If you at least have an interim coach -  recruits/ fans know a change is coming and not stuck in limbo.  Fuck this Tom Herman shit. 

432B4F4F-26CA-446D-B982-3A546419BC33.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What's magically going to change next year?  We think 7-8 football games played next year are going to be the key data points allowing us to divine who is truly the "right" coach? Or that some known guru is going to suddenly become available? 

What if, and this is the most likely scenario, we are in the same place (with both Herman and the job market) that we are in right now:  a shitty coach who's obviously not the guy and a field of zero home-run hires? 

The truth is anyone we could get next year we almost certainly could get this year.  The time to act is now. I'd rather roll the dice with a short-term, incentive laden contract for a new up and comer than just stand pat with the guy we know is not the guy.   We shouldn't let a desire for perfection stand in the way of improvement.  

It's a loser mentality for losers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The petulant shits who think their priorities are the only priority that matters will have to find another empty threat to make "to support the program."

I'm not sure how prevalent the attitude is among the donor base, but the "BMDs" who threaten to turn their backs on the program unless they personally get their way are a cancer, not an asset to the program.

You simply can't layoff staff and institute salary cuts out of financial necessity on Sept 1 and on Dec 1 declare "money is no object," and bring in a new head football coach at a massively higher salary than the old one. Do that, and the new coach would instantly be the most resented person on campus, with staff willingly undermining him at every move out of spite.

That, in short order, would set the overall athletics program back and would lead to uncontrolled leaks to the media that would cost the overall athletics program dearly. We don't want or need the head football coach to be despised by the entirety of the athletics department, all to appease the most self-centered members of the alumni base.

The financial ramifications of COVID are substantial and will soon be felt in full effect. And it's not going to be pretty.

In light of this, the BMDs who demand to have their way "or else," can go to Hell.

• 26 contracted coaches and administrators voluntarily agreed to take temporary salary reductions (beginning Sept.1 through Aug. 31, 2021 )
  • 273 staff members will receive temporary salary reductions, and 11 staff members will be temporarily furloughed with benefits (beginning Oct. 16 through Aug. 31, 2021)

You want to be one way...but it's the other way.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Again, it is not about thinking Tom is going to turn it around as much as it is about slowing down and making sure the next guy is THE guy and not making a lateral move that is backed by a 4-5 yr contract.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

His bye out would be less?

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

spacer.png

He can fly upside down?

How is that a bad thing?

55 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Again, it is not about thinking Tom is going to turn it around as much as it is about slowing down and making sure the next guy is THE guy and not making a lateral move that is backed by a 4-5 yr contract.  

I know, which is really why I didn't make that argument for the Keep Tom team in the text you quoted.

I don't think there's much evidence that keeping Tom for a year is going to significantly increase the chance we are hiring THE guy.  It's going to be a crap shoot regardless.     

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

They hired Schaefer during the pandemic so that makes everything you said

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I know, which is really why I didn't make that argument for the Keep Tom team in the text you quoted.

I don't think there's much evidence that keeping Tom for a year is going to significantly increase the chance we are hiring THE guy.  It's going to be a crap shoot regardless.     

Exactly. What’s the strategy? Keep asking UM annually if his health is better? Offer Pete Carroll? 

If you don’t take a risk, you’ll never see a reward. We just have to stop with the idiotic contract extensions.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

They hired Schaefer during the pandemic so that makes everything you said

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Did it cost $40 million to make the hire happen? I don't think so.

Spending $40 million on a coach, just 14 weeks after letting 80 people go and instituting pay cuts on 300 others (claiming financial necessity) and declaring "money is no object" to hire someone as controversial as Urban Meyer would be inexplicably bad management.

UT Austin may well have to cut the number of teams fielded. We haven't begun to see what will be needed done to fill the financial hole COVID has created.

Cutting programs and taking money from well over 350 athletics department staff (between firings and pay cuts) to pay Urban Meyer to coach football would create such a firestorm of ill-will we might as well just give up on athletics.

The first priority has to be to get Bellmont's financial situation stabilized. Those alumni who insist their individual choice of football coach must be the highest (and only) priority can fuck off.

There comes a point when the demands of "certain alumni" need to be subordinated to the interests of the athletes, students and those alumni who care about the long term best interests of the university.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 4

26 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Spending $40 million on a coach, just 14 weeks after letting 80 people go and instituting pay cuts on 300 others (claiming financial necessity) and declaring "money is no object" to hire someone as controversial as Urban Meyer would be inexplicably bad management.

then we should cancel all of our capital projects

25 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Did it cost $40 million to make the hire happen? I don't think so.

UT Austin may well have to cut the number of teams fielded. We haven't begun to see what will be needed done to fill the financial hole COVID has created.

Cutting programs and taking money from well over 350 athletics department staff (between firings and pay cuts) to pay Urban Meyer to coach football would create such a firestorm of ill-will we might as well just give up on athletics.

The first priority has to be to get Bellmont's financial situation stabilized. Those alumni who insist their individual choice of football coach must be the highest (and only) priority can fuck off.

There comes a point when the demands of "certain alumni" need to be subordinated to the interests of the athletes, students and those alumni who care about the long term best interests of the university.

Does women's basketball bring in revenue to the athletic dept? Didn't think so. Football pays for everything. A good corch is really an investment. Urban Meyer brings in a shitload of money to where maybe you can afford to pay everybody their full salary again. Just a thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

CDC has one sport that pays for everything else and brings in a fuckton of $ for the AD and the University. Consider Football probably contributes 85% of all revenues and interest for UT that is where he should spend the bulk of his time. Why everyone is acting like it is some huge thing for him to give disproportionate time to football is beyond me. I liken this to him running a business with multiple P&L entities, one of them contributes the vast majority of revenue and profits, nearly all of the others could fucking disappear tomorrow and it would have no impact. You focus on the business (football) that drives your success. IDMAS if you get softball or men's tennis right. They add $0 to UT. Fucking fix football. It is job #1.

If it is too big a job for CDC then get rid of him and hire someone from a Tier 1 university in terms of athletic success that won't be overwhelmed by the job.

I hope he works out as his ass is already in the seat but if he cannot get football right rickey-tick then get him the fuck out.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2