The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

looks like a wood paneled honda pilot and now i can't unsee that. 

Is it just me or have Pilots and MDXs gotten more wagon-like over the years?  I can barely tell the difference between an MDX and an RDX anymore.

Acura really loses the thread for years at a time.  I seem to like Hondas styling-wise while Acura flails.

Are you getting a deal on it?  I'm thinking '21 is the last model year for the WK2, very very long in the tooth (from a chassis/architecture POV).  I admire the little updates added to them year over year.  The Harmon UConnect system is still among the best in its class for infotainment, the Summit has acoustic glass windshield and side windows, the 5.7 HEMI is finally refined and reliable, and you'll likely not be able to get another GC with a V8 again.

I still want one, never bothered shopping hard enough for it.  Don't need a pickup, it would do almost all the things I need it for.  Make mine a Summit in Granite Crystal with that quilted Laguna leather.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Are you getting a deal on it?  I'm thinking '21 is the last model year for the WK2, very very long in the tooth (from a chassis/architecture POV).  I admire the little updates added to them year over year.  The Harmon UConnect system is still among the best in its class for infotainment, the Summit has acoustic glass windshield and side windows, the 5.7 HEMI is finally refined and reliable, and you'll likely not be able to get another GC with a V8 again.

I still want one, never bothered shopping hard enough for it.  Don't need a pickup, it would do almost all the things I need it for.  Make mine a Summit in Granite Crystal with that quilted Laguna leather.

Not far enough along to know if I’m getting a good deal or not.  Just looking at mid-sized SUVs and there aren’t many that I like.  The GC is the winner among domestic options. I will never own another vehicle produced in England.  The Germans have some interesting options, but at a higher price point for what I would want.  The midsized Lexus is a little bigger than I want,  the smaller one is too small, and I don’t think I have ever seen a man driving one.  Don’t like any SUV Acura or Infiniti makes.   Don’t want one of the massive SUVs as I currently have no kids.  I’ve got a month or two before I need to get serious, was just hoping to hear some feedback from someone who drives one.

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Anyone want to talk me out of a Grand Cherokee Summit with the bigger engine?

Why would you talk yourself into it in the first place?  No matter what you want from an SUV, there is something out there that does it better than Jeep GC.  Some are better on road (X5, GLE).  Some are better offroad (4Runner, Defender, Bronco).  Almost all will be more reliable with the possible exception of the Defender.

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Why would you talk yourself into it in the first place?  No matter what you want from an SUV, there is something out there that does it better than Jeep GC.  Some are better on road (X5, GLE).  Some are better offroad (4Runner, Defender, Bronco).  Almost all will be more reliable with the possible exception of the Defender.

Appreciate the input.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

The 4Runner is absolutely not better off-road until modifications begin and it's complete dogshit on-road.  We've also been over this but it's absurd to pay $42K for a powertrain and vehicle technology that was wasn't even considered 'new' to the brand more than a decade ago.  

Also, Lexus WTF, unless you're into AARP-things, a realtor or pharma rep.  The prior-gen V8 GX is cool when lifted/modded to follow the Land Cruiser theme.

Edited by Gravy Train

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nobody here has one of them new VW Atlas cross sports. Get one of those.  Then hire Paul giamatti to manage your finances.  275 hp might feel a little anemic though. 

can anyone even tell the difference between the altas and atlas cross sport?  the roof is like 1" different.

edit: also all CoupeUVs are regarded looking other than the GLC

Edited by elfenix

The 4Runner is absolutely not better off-road until modifications begin and it's complete dogshit on-road.  We've also been over this but it's absurd to pay $42K for a powertrain and vehicle technology that was wasn't even considered 'new' to the brand more than a decade ago.  
Also, Lexus WTF, unless you're into AARP-things, a realtor or pharma rep.  The prior-gen V8 GX is cool when lifted/modded to follow the Land Cruiser theme.

4Runner is incredibly capable offroad out of the box with the TRD versions. On road it's a dog, I agree there. But the trails in CO will tell you the 4Runner is where it's at. Just come look for yourself.

Nobody mentioned Lexus but you.

3 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

The 4Runner is absolutely not better offroad until modifications begin and it's complete dogshit on-road.  Next.

Also, Lexus WTF, unless you're into AARP-things, a realtor or pharma rep.

My stock 4Runner has electrical locking diffs, downhill assist, a V8 and will still run 120 mph down the highway with 250k miles. You would have to order a Rubicon to get a Jeep that is that capable. One of the best on-road 4WDs ever made. I'm gonna throw the "bullshit flag". I've owned Broncos, Jeeps, Tacos, Willis, trucks, you name it. But that is a bullshit statement.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Hell would need to freeze over 4-5 times before I would purchase another Land Rover product.

I keep getting Defender reviews on my google feed and reliability is horrendous.  Reviews are interrrupted by major repairs and things dealers can't figure out.

Makes an Alfa look like a Corolla.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

4Runner is incredibly capable offroad out of the box with the TRD versions. On road it's a dog, I agree there. But the trails in CO will tell you the 4Runner is where it's at. Just come look for yourself.

Nobody mentioned Lexus but you.

OP (looking at alternatives) mentioned Lexus.

4Runner (Trail)
9.6" of ground clearance
33-degree approach angle
26-degree departure angle
37.4-ft turning circle
270 hp @ 5600 rpm; 278 lb.-ft. @ 4400 
5-speed automatic transmission (3.520; 2.040; 1.400; 1.000; 0.720)
Reverse Ratio - 3.220
33.7:1 crawl ratio
Track Width, Front - 63.2
Track Width, Rear - 63.2

Grand Cherokee (with QuadraLift air suspension)
10.6" of ground clearance
34.3-degree approach angle
23.1-degree breakover angle 
29.3-degree departure angle
18.5-ft turning circle
360 hp @ 5,150 rpm; 390 lb.-ft. @ 4250
8-speed automatic transmission (4.69:1; 3.13:1; 2.10:1; 1.67:1; 1.28:1; 1.00:1; 0.84:1; 0.67:1)
Reverse ratio - 3.30:1 
44.1:1 crawl ratio
Track Width, Front - 63.7 
Track Width, Rear - 64.3

Now if I were solo or with a small group out there getting lost, I'd feel more confident in the 4Runner simply for its simplicity, ability to take on some really useful modifications, and its body-on-frame construction where the GC is a unibody platform.

My stock 4Runner has electrical locking diffs, downhill assist, a V8 and will still run 120 mph down the highway with 250k miles. You would have to order a Rubicon to get a Jeep that is that capable. One of the best on-road 4WDs ever made. I'm gonna throw the "bullshit flag". I've owned Broncos, Jeeps, Tacos, Willis, trucks, you name it. But that is a bullshit statement.
CHIEF
Rubicons are very capable but might be bigger dogs on the road. And Jeep reliability.

OP (looking at alternatives) mentioned Lexus.
4Runner (Trail)
9.6" of ground clearance
33-degree approach angle
26-degree departure angle
37.4-ft turning circle
270 hp @ 5600 rpm; 278 lb.-ft. @ 4400 
5-speed automatic transmission (3.520; 2.040; 1.400; 1.000; 0.720)
Reverse Ratio - 3.220
33.7:1 crawl ratio
Track Width, Front - 63.2
Track Width, Rear - 63.2

Grand Cherokee (with QuadraLift air suspension)
10.6" of ground clearance
34.3-degree approach angle
23.1-degree breakover angle 
29.3-degree departure angle
18.5-ft turning circle
360 hp @ 5,150 rpm; 390 lb.-ft. @ 4250
8-speed automatic transmission (4.69:1; 3.13:1; 2.10:1; 1.67:1; 1.28:1; 1.00:1; 0.84:1; 0.67:1)
Reverse ratio - 3.30:1 
44.1:1 crawl ratio
Track Width, Front - 63.7 
Track Width, Rear - 64.3

Now if I were solo or with a small group out there getting lost, I'd feel more confident in the 4Runner simply for its simplicity, ability to take on some really useful modifications, and its body-on-frame construction where the GC is a unibody platform.
Specs on a sheet are super. Come out here and see what people are running trails with. 4Runner and Rubicon are probably numbers 1 and 2. Tacoma is up there, too.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:
CHIEF

Rubicons are very capable but might be bigger dogs on the road. And Jeep reliability.

Jeep reliability? I'm gonna probably put 500k on the 4Runner, it's still tight. I've spent less than $1000 on non-maintenance items in 16 years. It is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Mrs. CHIEF agrees, we would get rid of the GS F before we got rid of the 4Runner. That is my apocalypse vehicle, but with leather guts and a sunroof. If I were gonna EMP proof a vehicle, that would be it. 

CHIEF

Jeep reliability? I'm gonna probably put 500k on the 4Runner, it's still tight. I've spent less than $1000 on non-maintenance items in 16 years. It is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Mrs. CHIEF agrees, we would get rid of the GS F before we got rid of the 4Runner. That is my apocalypse vehicle, but with leather guts and a sunroof. If I were gonna EMP proof a vehicle, that would be it. 
CHIEF
Jeep reliability is a liability, not an asset.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I keep getting Defender reviews on my google feed and reliability is horrendous.  Reviews are interrrupted by major repairs and things dealers can't figure out.

Makes an Alfa look like a Corolla.

There is nothing wrong with a Land Rover Defender in Africa or any other less than first world country.  I would prefer a Landcruiser, but the Defender is a valid option.  When they start putting in automatic transmissions and all the electronic shit that you need to have to sell a vehicle in N. America is where it goes sideways.  I had an 2000 Disco that I still have nightmares about.

edited to add:  thanks to all for the conversation about other vehicles.  Gives me something to think about.

Edited by conVINCEd

There is nothing wrong with a Land Rover Defender in Africa or any other less than first world country.  I would prefer a Landcruiser, but the Defender is a valid option.  When they start putting in automatic transmissions and all the electronic shit that you need to have to sell a vehicle in N. America is where it goes sideways.  I had an 2000 Disco that I still have nightmares about.

edited to add:  thanks to all for the conversation about other vehicles.  Gives me something to think about.
Several year old Landcruisers are very reliable. That's always an option. Find one in your price range. Properly maintained they will go 300k+ no problem.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Several year old Landcruisers are very reliable. That's always an option. Find one in your price range. Properly maintained they will go 300k+ no problem.

I really don’t want something that big. If I did I would just buy a Lexus LX and call it a day.  I’m also not a fan of what they have done to the body of that car over the last 10-15 years.  When I mentioned Landcruisers I was talking about what they sell overseas.

• Like 1

Here's another thought on the GC.  From some of the other things you're looking at, off-road capability is not a huge criterion for you.

AFAIK, the higher end GCs are all 4WD and thus carry a lot of extra weight and "complication."  Might be fun to have, but if you don't really need or want it, could be something of a burden in cost, mileage, reliability, etc.

I did not test drive one, but an Explorer or one of the new Lincolns on paper is pretty compelling with RWD.  I'd probably want a 2021 as they had a lot of new-model gremlins.

Also, while it blasphemes the Blazer name (but then so have a lot of things they've called Blazer since the 90s), and it's FWD/AWD, the Chevy Blazer is kinda different and an interesting vehicle.

I really don’t want something that big. If I did I would just buy a Lexus LX and call it a day.  I’m also not a fan of what they have done to the body of that car over the last 10-15 years.  When I mentioned Landcruisers I was talking about what they sell overseas.
They are big. And i hear you on the overseas models. Those are bad ass.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You are aware that there is an all- or mostly new Defender for 2020.  It is, apparently, a raving POS.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One other observation about the GC.  For a relatively large SUV (it drives kind of big), the interior is surprisingly cramped.  Not objectively cramped, but smaller than you might think.  At least it feels that way.

It's weird how some designers drop the ball on the most important aspect of SUV's. We looked at the Etron the other day and my wife's head(5'9) was almost touching the roof in the back seat. She immediately walked away.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One other observation about the GC.  For a relatively large SUV (it drives kind of big), the interior is surprisingly cramped.  Not objectively cramped, but smaller than you might think.  At least it feels that way.

Concur. Had one as a rental early this year. Was shocked at how small it felt inside. It’s like an explorer on the outside and an escape on the inside. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

23 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's weird how some designers drop the ball on the most important aspect of SUV's. We looked at the Etron the other day and my wife's head(5'9) was almost touching the roof in the back seat. She immediately walked away.

That's the most baffling thing about these gran coupes and CUVs (meaning the coupe variant as opposed to crossover).  Most advantage conferred by the two extra doors is negated by the low rear roofline.  And for those where the non-coupe variant also has four doors, it's like wtf lol.

I suppose it lets you do kid hauling while pretending to be extra sporty.  But a lot of the time the "sporty" is a fail.

That said, I did/do kind of like the CLS (the Benz E-class variant with the fastback roof/trunk, if that's the right designation), and the A7.  Both of those predated and maybe inspired the gran coupe movement.

Edited by TwiceHorn