The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1*0UcPEJrnK35bFMVrC4Pm9A.png

[mention=1769]Chewbacca[/mention]pull it back a notch man. You were one that kicked the whole thing off. No one just popped in and said "Landcruisers suck" out of the blue. I said many times how much I love them (I think [mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention]
is a LC man too) and I am a former owner. I also can tell you that the last FC to be a true offroad machine in stock trim was the FJ80. It's all good man, just enjoy your new whip and don't make it a pissing contest.

When people say stupid shit, i tend to respond. And some stupid shit was said.

But I'm over it.

I am tired of dodging all the swinging dicks. What the hell are y'all clowns arguing about. Weight matters when offroading, and we have no idea of the offroading capabilities of a vehicle that just hit the market a few months ago. Could be good. Could be shite. We won't find out for awhile. What we do know is the thing is pretty bad ass, so a tip of the ole cap is all that's warranted. Just about everyone in this thread is somewhere between well off and ChitownDoc money. So we can all put our dicks away.

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't have a 20 yo Yukon; you have an '02 Toyota you're enamored with.  I do have a 20 yo Silverado though that is built for...Offroading.  It was my first new truck, and I'll keep it forever.  The Yukon you are talking of is an 08 Denali we are sending to the ranch because the wife got a new one last week, and it's worth more to me down there than trying to get 5k out of a 12 yo kid hauler with 1/4m miles on it.  4wd, 400 hp, never had mechanical issues, so why not.  Going to make a great quail rig.  You don't care, so I'll assume you're not familiar, but that's a real thing.  It's what the poors down here do...

Here's a book on it:

http://www.texasquailrigs.com/shop

I have a k2500 Suburban that I will not get rid of as well. It's 23 years old.

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I have a k2500 Suburban that I will not get rid of as well. It's 23 years old.

I still have my 95 F350 on 40's that I refuse to part with.

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

454?  

Better be. I have a 460 in my truck.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I am tired of dodging all the swinging dicks. What the hell are y'all clowns arguing about. Weight matters when offroading, and we have no idea of the offroading capabilities of a vehicle that just hit the market a few months ago. Could be good. Could be shite. We won't find out for awhile. What we do know is the thing is pretty bad ass, so a tip of the ole cap is all that's warranted. Just about everyone in this thread is somewhere between well off and ChitownDoc money. So we can all put our dicks away.

Need Chi to pick up that Singer for...unity.  @G650 ‘s attempts at exquisite, bad ass rides are divisive.  Kidding.  Back to my old boring rides. 

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You know it. It has every option that was avail in 98 and was 41k new.....funny to think about that now.

Had a friend in college who got a hand me down ‘95 iirc.  Anyhow, white/tan with tan leather.   That thing was fucking awesome. Good stance with 285’s on it.  Got like 9 mpg. But it was a tug.  I specifically remember it has the old school wired cell phone thing going on.  He comes from a wealthy family and I know he tried to hunt it down at least once papa John’s style to no avail.  

Reminds me of when we found my boss at the time window sticker for his ‘02 250 Lariat 7.3.  Loaded to the tits for the time, 36k.  This was in ‘12 or so and they have him something in the teens for it.  Craziness. 

Edited by fattyflattie

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was hoping someone would explore it.  Trying to figure out a way to do the dog boxes is my challenge right now.   Wife is vehemently against top driving it (she doesn’t like the kids up there) but she’s going to lose that battle. 

Hell, just break out $150k, and get it over with https://www.ultimatetopdrives.com. They were at all three TTHA shows and the DSC Expo. Hell of a setup, if cash isn't an issue.

CHIEF

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

I do.

After our discussion about vehicles of nostalgia this AM, I pulled up behind a mid 90’s 350 on ~40”ish tires.  I’m currently in Va.  I was thinking theres no f’n way, but sometimes Surly defies reality.  Then I noticed the stack, and while I don’t judge books by covers, I’m pretty sure the guy driving doesn’t race carbon fiber boats all over the place.  

In a similar wtf moment about 90 seconds later, guy next to me sees my Texas plates and asks where I’m from.  He was in the class below me in high school, 1425 miles away.  

Between all this shit and GME, today has been a day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

After our discussion about vehicles of nostalgia this AM, I pulled up behind a mid 90’s 350 on ~40”ish tires.  I’m currently in Va.  I was thinking theres no f’n way, but sometimes Surly defies reality.  Then I noticed the stack, and while I don’t judge books by covers, I’m pretty sure the guy driving doesn’t race carbon fiber boats all over the place.  

In a similar wtf moment about 90 seconds later, guy next to me sees my Texas plates and asks where I’m from.  He was in the class below me in high school, 1425 miles away.  

When I was an aircraft mechanic, we flew a Twin Comanche to Las Cruces to drop off for Frank Borman, yes, that Frank Borman. While there, we saw a Cessna T210 that we also serviced, it belonged to a guy from Killeen. We stuck a business card, loosely into the frame on the pilot window. He knew there was no way it was there when he landed. It was a very small World that day.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

d11754f28d408e4b5f88f38b9b9b15af.jpg
2684ed380b51be3b5e80fcd71cf9f7ac.webp
eb8688b3b4628e3666b6fd9b661f0e8f.jpg

So Tesla just updated the interior on their Model S today for the fist time since they rolled it out like 9 years ago. Not sure about the funky formula 1 steering wheel and no gear stalks just buttons on the steering wheel for turn signals and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iirc, you were in the market for one?    I’m not their demo, but I like the S.  Nice to finally get a revamp on the interior. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Iirc, you were in the market for one?    I’m not their demo, but I like the S.  Nice to finally get a revamp on the interior. 

So good news and bad news.  I bought one and it was delivered Christmas Eve.  I love the car but now can't decide if I kind of got screwed by them updating the car.  I basically got the one of the last versions of the old car interior.  That being said I like my vertical screen more than the horizontal screen.  Other new stuff in the new one I am kind of pissed about.

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So good news and bad news.  I bought one and it was delivered Christmas Eve.  I love the car but now can't decide if I kind of got screwed by them updating the car.  I basically got the one of the last versions of the old car interior.  That being said I like my vertical screen more than the horizontal screen.  Other new stuff in the new one I am kind of pissed about.

Oof. Sorry about that. And I know the feeling. Personally I’d rather have the tried, tested, and true version anyhow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve only been there once, but I would have guessed that snow would be a pretty rare thing there.

Growing up it was definitely rare. I could count on one hand the snow days up till the time I was in my mid twenties. We did have two good sized blizzards when I was young but overall not much. About 15 years ago it shifted and most years are multiple snows, last year being the exception, but I would be totally happy if it went back to rarity.

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Ha, wild. What part of VA you in?

My 350 is currently a lawn ornament unfortunately. This reminds me I should probably go start it up and let it run a bit.

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

I was in Winchester from Sept thru Christmas, mostly working just on the other side of the line in Bunker hill, and have been in Haymarket now for a few weeks.  Will be here and Tysons Corner back and forth for the next few months, likely.  You know, the best time to be in the NE as a South Texas guy - balls dead winter.

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was in Winchester from Sept thru Christmas, mostly working just on the other side of the line in Bunker hill, and have been in Haymarket now for a few weeks.  Will be here and Tysons Corner back and forth for the next few months, likely.  You know, the best time to be in the NE as a South Texas guy - balls dead winter.

Yeah, great timing...

I was in Tysons last Thursday, that's where the Aston dealer is.

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Resale value extremely stronk. If you wanted to flip for a new one you probably could do with very little loss. 

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Growing up it was definitely rare. I could count on one hand the snow days up till the time I was in my mid twenties. We did have two good sized blizzards when I was young but overall not much. About 15 years ago it shifted and most years are multiple snows, last year being the exception, but I would be totally happy if it went back to rarity.

My 350 is currently a lawn ornament unfortunately. This reminds me I should probably go start it up and let it run a bit.

Guessing the AM stayed in the garage today?

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That was the biggest hunk of rolling steel you could buy for the money.   They've lost a lot of the value proposition over the years.

That truck has shown me that the GM design team doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. There are so many head scratchers on this thing. First of all it has a plastic fuel log that has broken 3 times. That fuel log has little plastic nubs that the injectors snap onto that are sure to break if you have to do any work to it. An automatic 160 as soon as you start a project. Book it. I put 19lb Bosch injectors in it instead of the shitty stock ones. Anyone who has ever owned one of these things knows to well about the door hinges. Awful design. Every door latch has had to be replaced.

The funny thing is, I need a truck here and there for hauling around things since I like to build stuff. I just don't need one enough to go and spend 100k on a decent 250/2500, as I am NOT a truck guy. So ole girl sits outside until I need to run somewhere once every 3 weeks, or for beach trips. She has a good life. I leveled it and put 20x10's on it with some AT tires. The rednecks around here ask me if I want to sell it all the time.

Edited by Thatguy

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Guessing the AM stayed in the garage today?

Been there all week. Trying not to get the thing filthy right off the bat. I did order a set of winter tires and wheels for it too though, even though it actually comes with all seasons and not summer tires like my BMW

Welp, I was over by FILs yesterday and saw why I curbed myself.

They have these curb drains that are deeply recessed from the curb, like maybe two feet.

Kind of like this, but the "entry and exit" angles are more acute:

drain.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This particular one is at an intersection and also is angled downwardly pretty dramatically, like that one above.

So I figure as I slowed to a stop, the downward angle "pulled" me into the recess and when I went forward, I went over and glanced off the protrusion into the street.  I wasn't impaired, just a little tired, but not tired enough to air hockey off normal curbs.  I can totally see not noticing that I pulled off to the right a little as I came to a stop. Gotdammit.  

Edited by TwiceHorn