The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Blackwings are here. Or back. Or whatever.

668hp/659ftlbs.  Starting at 85K for the CT5.

Also purportedly last of the internal combustion breed.  We all know that's coming.  Still gives me a sad.

Man, the coolest thing there (and there is a lot of cool) is the Tremec box.

I'd quibble with "daily driveable" descriptor though. I know several people who have owned one and basically said you need to a be a legit driver to not kill yourself in these. one of them traded it in post haste for a 911.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I'd quibble with "daily driveable" descriptor though. I know several people who have owned one and basically said you need to a be a legit driver to not kill yourself in these. one of them traded it in post haste for a 911.

I believe it.  I test-drove an ATS-V for half a day, which is only about 470hp/450ftlbs, but also about 3200-3300 lbs.  It was pretty easy to break the back end loose.  It stayed on track, but add in some lateral gs and you could be in trouble.  And it comes on so fast and so strong.

In around-town freeway driving, I wind up up people's ass all the time with a minor punch of the 2.0T.  I am becoming a true-believer on forced-induction with a low end tune.  Holy shit.  My only prior experience with performance-y forced induction was Roots-blown basically street dragsters, and while the top end is awesome to behold, you kind of have to work at it to get the power crazy.

But, if you can keep your foot out of it, the magnetic ride control makes them very well behaved from a ride standpoint, so that aspect of daily driver holds up well.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

This was my experience, I drove one last year and came away both giddy and terrified. 

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I believe it.  I test-drove an ATS-V for half a day, which is only about 470hp/450ftlbs, but also about 3200-3300 lbs.  It was pretty easy to break the back end loose.  It stayed on track, but add in some lateral gs and you could be in trouble.  And it comes on so fast and so strong.

In around-town freeway driving, I wind up up people's ass all the time with a minor punch of the 2.0T.  I am becoming a true-believer on forced-induction with a low end tune.  Holy shit.  My only prior experience with performance-y forced induction was Roots-blown basically street dragsters, and while the top end is awesome to behold, you kind of have to work at it to get the power crazy.

But, if you can keep your foot out of it, the magnetic ride control makes them very well behaved from a ride standpoint, so that aspect of daily driver holds up well.

This is why I couldn't own one of those for daily driving. I lack the restraint necessary to not floor it on the reg. I like to keep my hotrods "driven sparingly".

47 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am more interested in the bull shark video. I wish it wasn't shot using a potato though.

Also, that note sounds sexy as hell.

I thought I posted the bull shark in boat thread last year. It was Cape Eleuthera, which incidentally we will be back at in a couple weeks. Will certainly try for more video.

22 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Yep, I fucked around and found out.

I'm a benz ignoramus.  S-Class?

I saw a burnt orange McLaren today parked in a regular parking lot of regular stores, i.e. not Northpark or HP Village or some other snooty locale.

I have seen several S Coupes in the same lot.  As I am kind of a coupe fag, they make me drool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm a benz ignoramus.  S-Class?

I saw a burnt orange McLaren today parked in a regular parking lot of regular stores, i.e. not Northpark or HP Village or some other snooty locale.

I have seen several S Coupes in the same lot.  As I am kind of a coupe fag, they make me drool.

CLS AMG53

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

CLS AMG53

That would have been my second guess.  I have always liked those despite not caring for most of the four-door coupes that it spawned.

Also, it seems like Benzes are becoming "swoopier" sort of across the board these days.  The E-class looks downright svelte and sporty to me, for a Benz.

Also, I was behind a GLE today that had no obvious AMG badges or anything, but goddam, it was kinda wide, kinda low with fat rear tires.  Looked pretty good for a grocery getter.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I thought I posted the bull shark in boat thread last year. It was Cape Eleuthera, which incidentally we will be back at in a couple weeks. Will certainly try for more video.

More back lot MX if you’re gonna be making more videos. Maybe a table top over a dump truck just for fun.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That would have been my second guess.  I have always liked those despite not caring for most of the four-door coupes that it spawned.

Also, it seems like Benzes are becoming "swoopier" sort of across the board these days.  The E-class looks downright svelte and sporty to me, for a Benz.

Also, I was behind a GLE today that had no obvious AMG badges or anything, but goddam, it was kinda wide, kinda low with fat rear tires.  Looked pretty good for a grocery getter.

Currently driving a ‘19 CLS 450. Initially smitten with the ‘21 E43, same engine and suspension as the CLS AMG & slightly roomier, but simply like the looks and interior of the CLS more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, davidg said:

More back lot MX if you’re gonna be making more videos. Maybe a table top over a dump truck just for fun.

I actually was just walking the yard yesterday with a friend looking at what we could do. Got a bunch more dirt in there again, need to do something.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:43 PM, troph said:

Any guy driving a mini has to be gay.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

As long as we're tallying, my lesbian friends drive a V6 Accord (late 50s white collar) and a Mini Cooper S (late 30s professor) - seems like the common theme is fun sensibility with the upgraded engine.

And our cishet/one-and-done on kids family owns three Subarus - tuned and modded Legacy GT wagon, beater Outback 3.0, and Forester XT. 

One of the funnest cars I've owned is my manual Mini Cooper S (JCW).  You don't have to gay to own/drive them if you're a car enthusiast.  

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.a0fbfe178b8624fb7eb052f000b9fe8d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SDG said:

One of the funnest cars I've owned is my manual Mini Cooper S (JCW).  You don't have to gay to own/drive them if you're a car enthusiast.  

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.a0fbfe178b8624fb7eb052f000b9fe8d.jpeg

They are a riot. My mom had one, I would drive it every now and then for shits and giggles.

Edited by G650

When did tires get so expensive?  Just ordered a set of 5 Toyo AT3s for my Landcruiser.  Total was just under $2k through Discount Tire.  I bought a set of tires (Falken Wildpeaks) for my other Landcruiser about a year ago.  Same size, also 5 tires and that was around $1,400.  The Wildpeaks are within $10/tire of the Toyos...

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Not sure if there are many cars out there that can match the racing pedigree of the Mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree though if I get my way I’d rather race a vintage Formula Ford. Cheap, parts are plenty, lots of mechanics can work on them.  Gears are cheap(ish) and it’s an open wheel experience.

Edited by troph

I did 4 Michelin LTX last year for 975, also for Land Cruiser. It pays to shop around/price match, and it REALLY pays to wait for sales and stack rebates/promos with them. Memorial Day is usually a great one, and around Thanksgiving is good as well. Set up a deal alert on Slickdeals for tires.

I paid $1100 for a replaceable set of 17" Pilot Sport 4S's in September, but I didn't have the luxury of waiting around for a sale. 

They're the best tires I've ever had. They're somehow slightly softer and more compliant than the Pilot Sport Super Sports they've replaced, but there's no loss of grip or feedback - quite possibly more, but it's been a long time since I drove them in brand new condition, obviously, so challenging to compare... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I did 4 Michelin LTX last year for 975, also for Land Cruiser. It pays to shop around/price match, and it REALLY pays to wait for sales and stack rebates/promos with them. Memorial Day is usually a great one, and around Thanksgiving is good as well. Set up a deal alert on Slickdeals for tires.
I did shop around. Price is the same everywhere. Unfortunately can't wait. Stock tires are garbage in snow and we still have 2-3 months of winter left around here.

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've always found the theory of a Bugatti appealing, but every one I have seen has been just outright ugly.

I thought, at first, that it was some sort of bastardization of a car made to look like one. It was ugly. It was being pulled, as you see, open-air, by an F-150.

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Surprised they got that thing on just a straight up flatbed.  I guess if it’s enough for my tractor it’s good enough for a once 7 figure ride. 

The snow had stopped, so it wasn't so bad out. But there is a ton of shit on the road, and splatter from slush. I would not have done it that way but, it wasn't my car.

On a side note, after I did what I had to do on the other side of town I stopped at the Porsche dealer to talk about the speakers in my older 911. I looked around the showroom a bit. The Taycan is spectacular in person. If I was going with a sedan though, I'd still go with a Panamera.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Once 7 figures?  It's worth more now than when it was new.

No shit. I don’t watch them close. Just know one of the YouTube guys, that hyper ass Strad guy or whatever bought one, and I remember it has depreciated quite a bit (to like 600k iirc).   Still crazy to me to be pulling it on a flatbed.  One rock to the windshield and you’ve paid for a real transport a few times over. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

No shit. I don’t watch them close. Just know one of the YouTube guys, that hyper ass Strad guy or whatever bought one, and I remember it has depreciated quite a bit (to like 600k iirc).   Still crazy to me to be pulling it on a flatbed.  One rock to the windshield and you’ve paid for a real transport a few times over. 

No shit on repair costs.  Tires on those things cost something like $10-20k a set.  I'm sure a windshield is the same.