The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I tend to think of -Vs as kind of high-strung, like an M or AMG, but yours, IIRC they just dropped a big NA V8 in and beefed up the brakes and suspension, so really not all that bad from that perspective.

By the same token as my possibly silly 100k limitation, all cars are complex as shit these days and prosaic things like headlights are liable to cost $1000, so some of the things about krautwagen reliability and part cost apply equally to a Caddy or ricer or Volvo or whathaveyou. So my fear of that is probably irrational.

I passed on a -V because of fear of maintenance costs (just the routine-ish stuff like brakes), plus I'm just a cheapskate that has lived long enough to know that optioning the biggest, baddest everything is not all it's cracked up to be.

LS2 drivetrain has been Rock of Gibraltar reliable...it’s everything else they tacked onto it that’s fallen apart.  GM put grossly undersized axles on the diff, but I don’t drag it so doesn’t bother me.  Engine is a midrange monster, I usually start in second, and sounds glorious.  

I always wanted a V8 and a stick, decided my pony car days were behind me and the 308 wasn’t gonna happen...so off I went.  And yes it took me 3 hours to replace the headlight bulbs because I had to remove everything to the radiator to get to them...they were $40 each.  

32 minutes ago, Homercles said:

LS2 drivetrain has been Rock of Gibraltar reliable...it’s everything else they tacked onto it that’s fallen apart.  GM put grossly undersized axles on the diff, but I don’t drag it so doesn’t bother me.  Engine is a midrange monster, I usually start in second, and sounds glorious.  

I always wanted a V8 and a stick, decided my pony car days were behind me and the 308 wasn’t gonna happen...so off I went.  And yes it took me 3 hours to replace the headlight bulbs because I had to remove everything to the radiator to get to them...they were $40 each.  

Differentials have problems on the second gen CTS, too,  And on the ATS, the vent clogs and blows out the axle seals.

I ran into an SS @Okie State and it sounded pretty glorious.

• Like 1

I'd guess it was stock.  It was that copper color, which initially caught my attention and I glanced the bowtie, then it took off.  I was like niiiiiiiice. Didn't sound all that different from a Camaro, for example, but it was surprising coming from a mild-mannered sedan.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Going back to Homercles point above he brought up something that keeps tooling around in my brain and has for probably over a decade.

I've always, like probably most here, had a hard on for a super car. A good time back I came to accept a Lambo or McLaren wasn't in my life cards.

I've always loved Vettes. What they are doing today make them essentially a bargain priced super. 

The I drove a Miata around as a rent for a week. Frankly, I fucking loved it. 

I forget which car writer said it (or maybe they just quoted it from some famous car guy in history), but the saying "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" is absolutely correct.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I forget which car writer said it (or maybe they just quoted it from some famous car guy in history), but the saying "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" is absolutely correct.

C&D and/or R&T have made this observation fairly often in their reviews. 

As an aside, I have a stack of unread car magazines dating back to February - it used to be my habit to leave the phone outside my shittorium and read car magazines while cutting weight, but with the state of the world since then, I haven't been able to put down my phone. 

I can't wait for things to get back to normal someday. 

I'd guess it was stock.  It was that copper color, which initially caught my attention and I glanced the bowtie, then it took off.  I was like niiiiiiiice. Didn't sound all that different from a Camaro, for example, but it was surprising coming from a mild-mannered sedan.
Yeah probably stock exhaust. Those years have the bi-modal setup. Mine does not.

Astonishing.

While the CT4-V falls into the same traps that have plagued Cadillac for too long, the brand's insistence on doing things the old way is what makes this V so good. Built on the right architecture and honed by GM's vastly underappreciated chassis-tuning team, the CT4-V is the best sedan in this segment you can buy right now.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I think the more midrange -V, priced accordingly, has a lot of appeal.  I bet they'll be spectacular on the gently used market.
Yeah I like that they're expanding the mid-range. I see a ton of Audi S/AMG 43's/whatever BMW calls theirs on the road. Let's see some wagon versions and I'm all in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

YMMV, intake runner/head design, PCV/oil separator and driving style have a lot to do with it as well.  Some engines exhibit carbon buildup more frequently than others, with symptoms ranging from rough idle to poor throttle response.  Turbocharged cars probably mask those slightly and most engines don't exhibit anything actionable until 60K miles of driving. 

I've read of a few early-developed DI engines that require it and carbon cleaning/walnut blasting seems to be more accepted among performance platforms.  The 5.2 Audi/Lambo V10 in the S6 and R8 was one example, same with the Audi 4.2 V8 in the RS4/RS5 and 3-liter N54 turbo BMW.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I ran an LLT 3.6L V6 to 90k+ miles. It may have dropped an mpg or two, but ran great. Idled fine and pulled strong to redline.  I'm pretty sensitive to mechanical things and if something were majorly off, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed.

There's an awful lot of talk about it, but almost no reporting of actual problems that were fixed by blasting or other fixes.  Lots of hysteria about catch cans, bigger PCVs and so on and so forth, but seemingly few actual problems.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I mean, I know it's par for the course for the hotvee V8, but it's still something to see in print.
I'm also rather fond of the E-class, moreso than current iterations of the 5-series.  I probably pay inadequate attention to the Audis.
I think Audis are the best looking with the best interiors, although MB is coming strong in interiors lately. They aren't going to have the power of the AMGs and Ms, though.

The E63S is a beast. I was all Mercedes until we actually starting shopping. Although not in the same category we were looking at GLE’s. We bought a new X5 M 50i. The thing has the power you need in a twin turbo v8 putting 523 hp. 

The new dual 12 inch screens and the luxury seats make it comfortable as hell to drive as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

The AMGs look total hotness, and great motors, but they just can't quite build a platform that completes the package. Which is unfortunate as I'm a huge Mercedes fan.

Yeah it seems they're getting better at it, but like Lexus, can't completely leave the luxobarge philosophy behind.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah it seems they're getting better at it, but like Lexus, can't completely leave the luxobarge philosophy behind.

Also, even AMGs get the "three on the tree" shifter.  Even in this day and age, when the shifter could be buttons again, like Lincoln's are (because they're just electronic switches), it still seems so odd not to have a floor/console shifter, sans t-handle por favor.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Looking for new big ass SUV for the wife.  Looks like GLS450 and Lexus LX570 are the final 2 contenders to replace her QX80.  We drove both today and can't decide which we like better.  Lexus looks better on the outside (subjective, but we both agree on this) and Lexus interior is much nicer.  The GLS drives much better on the road and gets better mileage.  The Lexus will last longer, and will do better offroad (and yes, I will take it offroad - I took the QX80 over Engineer Pass last summer).  Lexus costs more initially but has far better resale value.  I expect net cost to own both would be a wash.

This is the first time we haven't had a clear cut winner when looking at a new car.

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, even AMGs get the "three on the tree" shifter.  Even in this day and age, when the shifter could be buttons again, like Lincoln's are (because they're just electronic switches), it still seems so odd not to have a floor/console shifter, sans t-handle por favor.

I hate that MB shifter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Looking for new big ass SUV for the wife.  Looks like GLS450 and Lexus LX570 are the final 2 contenders to replace her QX80.  We drove both today and can't decide which we like better.  Lexus looks better on the outside (subjective, but we both agree on this) and Lexus interior is much nicer.  The GLS drives much better on the road and gets better mileage.  The Lexus will last longer, and will do better offroad (and yes, I will take it offroad - I took the QX80 over Engineer Pass last summer).  Lexus costs more initially but has far better resale value.  I expect net cost to own both would be a wash.

This is the first time we haven't had a clear cut winner when looking at a new car.

How long do you intend to keep it?  If it’s any longer than the warranty lasts, I can’t imagine the Lexus not being cheaper over the long run.  Plus, like you said, the resale probably won’t even close between the two.

But how do both compare to your QX80?  My wife has always wanted one but I’m just not sold on recent Nissan build quality, and I’ve owned 3 Nissans and grew up with Infinitis so I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

How long do you intend to keep it?  If it’s any longer than the warranty lasts, I can’t imagine the Lexus not being cheaper over the long run.  Plus, like you said, the resale probably won’t even close between the two.

But how do both compare to your QX80?  My wife has always wanted one but I’m just not sold on recent Nissan build quality, and I’ve owned 3 Nissans and grew up with Infinitis so I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

Dont know how long we would keep. Could be 3 years, could be 6 or 7. I would definitely buy an extended warranty with the MB.

The Infiniti has a lot going for it. Strong motor, rides great, lots of space. Has been very reliable. It's a 2017 with 50k that we bought new. A few things just bug me about it. It's tall. Really fucking tall. I'm 6'2" and i have a hard time getting things in and out of a rocket box, and we use one regularly going to/ from the mountains. Back cargo floor with 3rd row folded is not flat, so cargo slides towards the door. Center console cover will slide forward on its own. You can't lock it in place. All small stuff, but annoying.

We still might keep the QX at this point. Can't decide what to do.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

The AMGs look total hotness, and great motors, but they just can't quite build a platform that completes the package. Which is unfortunate as I'm a huge Mercedes fan.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

AMGs are supposed to make a lot of noise and a lot of smoke and ruin your tires and not actually go anywhere.  i suspect the new E is perfect at that.  you want something on rails get a porsche. 

• Like 1

Edit: what elfenix said.

But also, that just goes back to journalists trying to make every car sporty and judging it almost solely on that. Not every car has to be sporty.

People buy Lexus’ because they like luxobarges.

Same with Mercedes really.

Although, it is fun when they go racing.

f2fb5bb12b783d2552b9eef2da0952c5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Looking for new big ass SUV for the wife.  Looks like GLS450 and Lexus LX570 are the final 2 contenders to replace her QX80.  We drove both today and can't decide which we like better. 

I'm really surprised you guys didn't have a strong inclination one way or another between those 2. They're such different experiences. As a family vehicle the GLS is far better, and anecdotally it isn't useless off-road. Also surprised at your comments regarding the interior being better in the Lexus, the layout is still completely truck-like, just skinned in leather. The LX infotainment (infotainment did get a refresh, so may be a wash, since I hate Mercedes infotainment as well), ride, and mileage are literally 15yr old now, it remains a truck (which is exactly why it has the rep it does, it's a Land Cruiser and will take whatever you put it through.) Yes it will off-road better. Consider how many times a year you actually need that capability and weight it accordingly.

Later post you talk about 7yrs or so as your longest ownership window, so both are going to suffer the steep portion of their depreciation. If you were planning 15yr ownership then I'd say LX for sure, but in that short a time, neither is going to cost much on the maintenance side. What kind of mileage do you put on each year?

LC/LX is getting a refresh in 2022 and going turbo-6, so a last-2-year LX570 as the last of the V8s will always resell for a premium to the Cruiser fans, similar to how the 05-06 LX470 carries a nice premium. The LX will almost certainly cost you less at the end once resale is considered. If you're one who always trades your car in, you won't benefit from the premium resale at all.

FWIW, we've had an LX470 since new, I'm a huge Land Cruiser fan. I tried to get parents to look at LX, GLS, Navigator, and Rover, and they bought the GLS. It was not a close decision, the GLS was so much nicer an on-road experience, and they DGAF about resale.

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

AMGs are supposed to make a lot of noise and a lot of smoke and ruin your tires and not actually go anywhere.  i suspect the new E is perfect at that.  you want something on rails get a porsche. 

This is true, and why I love them but don't have one.

11 hours ago, Okie State said:
11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
It comes out.

Wouldn't come out of our Lexus seats. I'm sure it depends on the leather and what is used on it.

Also, I had a belt stain grey seats in an Acura.  It did not come out, it kind of wore away after time.  

And IIRC, it was after using Lexol or something on the seats.  There apparently was still some residue, it got on the belt and leached a little dye onto the seat.  And the grey was considerably darker than that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Edit: what elfenix said.

But also, that just goes back to journalists trying to make every car sporty and judging it almost solely on that. Not every car has to be sporty.

People buy Lexus’ because they like luxobarges.

Same with Mercedes really.

Although, it is fun when they go racing.

f2fb5bb12b783d2552b9eef2da0952c5.jpg

All no doubt true.  But it is possible to make a luxobarge handle pretty tautly without rattling your teeth out.  BMW is historically pretty good at it if not currently, save the SUVs.  Cadillac does it pretty well.