So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

7 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Amazon currently has the Weber 18" for $381.

That’s good info. I really hate what Amazon has become and would prefer not to give them my business when I can avoid it. I wonder if I can get a local vendor to price match. Probably not but I know a garden center that might possibly work with me. I can get 10% cash back if I buy from Lowe’s. I’m not sure I want their credit card but if I apply for that they’ll give me 20% off.

Ive got to pick up a new PC first so I’m not in a rush. I’ve got time to shop around. But I’m starting to feel that jones.

Jesus. The price for a new 18” WSM is up to $419. (Over $450 with tax.) That seems ridiculously high for such a low tech device. I got excited when I saw that Ace Hardware has one for $279, that seemed more like it. Then I learned there’s such a thing as a 14” WSM. Wtf is up with that?
I wish I had metalworking skills. I’d build my own. 

Metalworking skills??
giphy.gif

A harbor freight grinder, couple a lonestars, old 55 gallon drum, kettle lid off of Craigslist…..

4c7ae6490091b8efac589cbf237c833d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

Not so fast . . . 

Yeah, I don’t think his repeated use of the phrase “little bitty” is helping. Lulz. But that’s a good video. A few things I noticed:

He doesn’t put a butt on the bottom rack. That might be a snug fit to try to reach down and remove while the smoker is hot. I’ve got two butts in the freezer and I’m not sure how they would fit. Maybe one would fit okay on the top. I’m definitely never getting a 14” but that was an interesting exposition.

He fired that sucker up fresh without doing a burn first while it was empty. I see a lot of people advocating for a preliminary burn to season the thing or burn the gunk off or whatever. I’m pretty skeptical about all of that and he didn’t show me of my skepticism.

OMG! He put water in the pan! Yeah, it’s a water smoker. You’re trying to cook in a humid environment to help the smoke do its job. That’s the point. I’m not buying it that leaving the water pan dry is an improvement. He seems to agree. I’m a water guy.

He didn’t wrap the butt during the stall.

Boy, he was adding more charcoal early (and apparently often).

Nice plastic flamingo.

In summary, okay he could smoke a butt on the thing. I’m not going to buy one but good for him. How is he reheating that thing for his 4th of July party?

5 hours ago, baboso said:

WTB, the 18 is the perfect size for a single dude.  Check FB marketplace; I found a used one in great condition for 100 bucks a couple of months ago.

Now that is what you call a smoke'n good deal.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, baboso said:

WTB, the 18 is the perfect size for a single dude.  Check FB marketplace; I found a used one in great condition for 100 bucks a couple of months ago.

I agree that the 18” is the perfect size for a single dude. That’s what I said I’m looking for. It’s the 14” I said I’d never get. I’d love to get a 22” because it has a shallower water pan but I’d so rarely have occasion to take advantage of all that space that it wouldn’t be economical.

And I’m not joining Facebook just to look for a smoker. I’m probably not buying until next month. Maybe there will be some pre-4th sales. Chances are I’ll wind up buying from Lowe’s.

Stopped down at the garden center and they had a 22” on sale for $459. They didn’t have an 18” on display. I couldn’t find any help so I’ll call down tomorrow and see if they have an 18” in stock and on sale. Maybe at one of their other locations. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Stopped down at the garden center and they had a 22” on sale for $459. They didn’t have an 18” on display. I couldn’t find any help so I’ll call down tomorrow and see if they have an 18” in stock and on sale. Maybe at one of their other locations. 

Lowes app is really good.  I recommend it. You can check stock, see where shit is located in the store, check prices, etc. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:21 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, I don’t think his repeated use of the phrase “little bitty” is helping. Lulz. But that’s a good video. A few things I noticed:

He doesn’t put a butt on the bottom rack. That might be a snug fit to try to reach down and remove while the smoker is hot. I’ve got two butts in the freezer and I’m not sure how they would fit. Maybe one would fit okay on the top. I’m definitely never getting a 14” but that was an interesting exposition.

He fired that sucker up fresh without doing a burn first while it was empty. I see a lot of people advocating for a preliminary burn to season the thing or burn the gunk off or whatever. I’m pretty skeptical about all of that and he didn’t show me of my skepticism.

OMG! He put water in the pan! Yeah, it’s a water smoker. You’re trying to cook in a humid environment to help the smoke do its job. That’s the point. I’m not buying it that leaving the water pan dry is an improvement. He seems to agree. I’m a water guy.

He didn’t wrap the butt during the stall.

Boy, he was adding more charcoal early (and apparently often).

Nice plastic flamingo.

In summary, okay he could smoke a butt on the thing. I’m not going to buy one but good for him. How is he reheating that thing for his 4th of July party?

He's got more cookers than I could shake a stick at.  I think he just got this one to play with.  I've seen people throw chicken on for the burn in, but I burned a bag with some Pam sprayed all over everything before I cooked.  

I use nested clay pots in my foiled water pan.  Water evaporates over long cooks and I don't want to have a heat sink that's a moving target.  I've seen him use sand before, but he's mostly a water guy.

I wrap butts, but I played around with not wrapping brisket for a time.  I'm back to wrapping brisket.  I never wrap ribs.

I don't know what to say about the flamingos.  I guess if I had a BBQ Youtube channel with lots of subs, I'd play around with a bunch of cookers too.  But for me, a 22.5" Kettle and a 22.5" WSM cover the bases.  The PBC that got me going now lives at the lake and the long-smoked stuff tastes funny by comparison.

Edited by dcbc

22 hours ago, Cajun said:

Not my WSM, I'm cheating with the Homo Joe, but I'm still thinking of the Webber, so...

IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4811.jpeg

IMG_4813.jpeg

That seems like it will have the same flavor issues I get from my old PBC with the grease dripping on the charcol through the perforated diffuser plate on the OKJoe Barrel Cooker.  Did you notice any distinct taste difference? 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Would there be a way to put a foil drip pan on top of the diffuser? Wrap in foil if not?

I think you could wrap it in foil.  But since it's flat, you likely would have run off.  Whether that gets in the coal basket is anyone's guess.  Plus, these aren't exactly cheap compared to a WSM (hard to get a read on capacity on the ones I've looked at).  So I'm curious as to what the advantage is.  You definitely can buy hanger attachments for the WSM if that's something you want to try.  I'm not saying it's not a good cooker, because I don't know.  But my experience with a barrel cooker versus the WSM has pushed me firmly into the WSM camp.

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I think you could wrap it in foil.  But since it's flat, you likely would have run off.  Whether that gets in the coal basket is anyone's guess.  Plus, these aren't exactly cheap compared to a WSM (hard to get a read on capacity on the ones I've looked at).  So I'm curious as to what the advantage is.  You definitely can buy hanger attachments for the WSM if that's something you want to try.  I'm not saying it's not a good cooker, because I don't know.  But my experience with a barrel cooker versus the WSM has pushed me firmly into the WSM camp.

Interesting. I’m more curious than anything. Something like that seems like it could be a design flaw, and with so many people using barrel-styles like this, PBC, etc, you’d think it would maybe have been fixed if it’s a big issue.

I'm sure the answer is here but this thread is long.  What's the best resource for learning to smoke?  Just go to YouTube I imagine? 
I have an WSM on its way.

If you want to get started, google “the minion method” and burn a fire after you assemble it.

Then repeat with a pork butt on.

Then go back and read this thread while it’s smoking. And YouTube.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Interesting. I’m more curious than anything. Something like that seems like it could be a design flaw, and with so many people using barrel-styles like this, PBC, etc, you’d think it would maybe have been fixed if it’s a big issue.

PBC pitches it like it's a feature and even has a name for it, "Smoke Fog."  It was my first cooker.  So I didn't really notice it as an unpleasant flavor until I got the WSM, cooked on it for a while, then went back to the PBC for a cook for old time's sake.  Definitely not a pleasant flavor on long cooks.  Ribs and chicken seem fine.   Hamburgers can be quite good on it.  But Brisket and Butts don't taste great.  Frankly, everything is better on the WSM and chicken is better on a kettle.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tigol said:

If you want to get started, google “the minion method” and burn a fire after you assemble it.

This is the way.  It's all about trial and error but coming from an informed position.  Maybe not every smoker is different but more than anything it's all about informed effort.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

That seems like it will have the same flavor issues I get from my old PBC with the grease dripping on the charcol through the perforated diffuser plate on the OKJoe Barrel Cooker.  Did you notice any distinct taste difference? 

I really haven't.  That's an interesting observation though.  No shade at the WSM, I love mine, but the OKJ is a much superior seal.  It leaks smoke/heat nowhere.  Even with the Cajun Bandit mods on my WSM I always had a bit of leakage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 2:25 PM, Dutch said:

Go on....

I was so busy with the slicing I forgot money shots, but my cousin who I was entertaining did send these my way tonight.  I all I've got on that, unfortunately.  Packer HEB brisket at $3.49/lb and it was a+ in flavor with roughly a- moistness (wasn't the greatest marbling being a packer and all) --

IMG_4562.jpeg

IMG_4563.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Long ass stall at 165F. Like it took me 2 hrs to break through running at 300F on the Homo Joe
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Cajun said:

I really haven't.  That's an interesting observation though.  No shade at the WSM, I love mine, but the OKJ is a much superior seal.  It leaks smoke/heat nowhere.  Even with the Cajun Bandit mods on my WSM I always had a bit of leakage. 

It looks far superior in design to the PBC and I can tell from the pictures that it's well built.  My guess is that the chimney versus the tiny rebar holes on the PBC means better flow and less contact time with the "fog."  In any event, great looking brisket. 

My WSM is far from stock.  It has benefited from the Cajun Bandit door, a gasket where the center section meets the lid, an Arbor Fabricating charcoal basket that will hold 30 lbs of charcoal, and a BBQ Guru controller.  The last bit of kit is a great add on, but I did fine for years holding temps be closing off two vents and closing off the third to the width of a pencil (I actually had a pencil in my BBQ box that I used to accomplish the feat of engineering).  I also put a notch at the top of the center section with a grinder to make running probes easier versus the probe port (so there's a little leak there but nothing to write home about).

Edited by dcbc

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, tigol said:

All of this. Anyone's first cook on a WSM (or any smoker, really) should definitely be a pork butt/shoulder.  You'll get the hang of adjusting the vents, temp control, etc without the worry of "damn this brisket cost ~ $110; I don't want to mess it up." Pork shoulder is cheap, delicious, and damn near impossible to screw up due to all the intramuscular fat and connective tissue. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

^^That, and on top on of all you said about the ease and inexpensiveness of a pork butt, it's great for the first cook seasoning of the smoker due to it being 65% pork fat.

It's like bathing the inside of the smoker with Crisco.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

It looks far superior in design to the PBC and I can tell from the pictures that it's well built.  My guess is that the chimney versus the tiny rebar holes on the PBC means better flow and less contact time with the "fog."  In any event, great looking brisket. 

My WSM is far from stock.  It has benefited from the Cajun Bandit door, a gasket where the center section meets the lid, an Arbor Fabricating charcoal basket that will hold 30 lbs of charcoal, and a BBQ Guru controller.  The last bit of kit is a great add on, but I did fine for years holding temps be closing off two vents and closing off the third to the width of a pencil (I actually had a pencil in my BBQ box that I used to accomplish the feat of engineering).  I also put a notch at the top of the center section with a grinder to make running probes easier versus the probe port (so there's a little leak there but nothing to write home about).

image.png.17826ec88e6abfb29562a404177f0bbb.pngThis is my new door.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tigol said:

image.png.17826ec88e6abfb29562a404177f0bbb.pngThis is my new door.

I looked at those, but looks like way overkill.  The C/B door seals it well enough for me.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I looked at those, but looks like way overkill.  The C/B door seals it well enough for me.

I think the C/B on mine just never settled in quite right.  SO, I overcompensated.  I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Edited by tigol
meh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tigol said:

I think the C/B on mine just never settled in quite right.  SO, I overcompensated.  I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Yours is the one that says badmuthafucka on it for sure.

• Haha 2

Well, it looks like it’s going to take me a little time to decide on a new PC, I figured I’d just walk into Micro Center and walk out with a model that satisfied me like last time. Not so. Maybe I’ll wind up building one myself. Either way I’ve got more research to do.

No need to research what new smoker I want. So yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the 18” WSM from Lowe’s. It’s due on Friday so I can smoke on Memorial Day, weather permitting. I paid $419 but I’ve got a discount card that will give me 10% cash back so ultimately it will cost less than ordering from Amazon.

I assume it’s going to be pretty easy to assemble.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, it looks like it’s going to take me a little time to decide on a new PC, I figured I’d just walk into Micro Center and walk out with a model that satisfied me like last time. Not so. Maybe I’ll wind up building one myself. Either way I’ve got more research to do.

No need to research what new smoker I want. So yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the 18” WSM from Lowe’s. It’s due on Friday so I can smoke on Memorial Day, weather permitting. I paid $419 but I’ve got a discount card that will give me 10% cash back so ultimately it will cost less than ordering from Amazon.

I assume it’s going to be pretty easy to assemble.

It's about two beers worth of assembly

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

Not much to it.  Just a matter of attaching the legs and the brackets that support the grill grates/water pan.

Right on. That’s pretty much what I was expecting. I assume the temp gauge is already installed in the dome. That’s as high tech as the WSM gets.

Now I need to get a new remote meat thermometer. I’ve had bad luck with Maverick. Never had one that lasted more than one season. I’d buy one at Home Depot because I needed it right away and it would inevitably fail on me. I stopped by Home Depot today to pick up apple wood chunks and they don’t even have Maverick anymore. They have ThermoPro.

My initial search for ThermoPro reviews hasn’t turned up anything positive. 

I settled on a Fireboard.  

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2-drive/

Most of them work.  I just like the functionality and nerdy graphs this one produces.  I think it helps me dial things in.  It's all about personal preference and how much you want to spend.  Get your recs here though because we've probably tried it all.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, tigol said:

I settled on a Fireboard.  

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2-drive/

Most of them work.  I just like the functionality and nerdy graphs this one produces.  I think it helps me dial things in.  It's all about personal preference and how much you want to spend.  Get your recs here though because we've probably tried it all.

I look forward to many upgrades from @WhatTheBuck to his new WSM.  That's the funny part.  Because they really do well bone stock. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:29 AM, PilotsError said:

I'm sure the answer is here but this thread is long.  What's the best resource for learning to smoke?  Just go to YouTube I imagine? 

I have an WSM on its way.

biggest single thing to learn/accept.  pork butts and briskets are done when they are done.  that means when they probe like room temp butter.   

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, stc said:

have made zero mods to mine and it still works fine after 15 years. you can buy all the fancy shit you want but it doesn't require a goddamn computer to cook bbq.  

I agree it's not required.  But when when the wind picks up, and the otherwise-venerable WSM goes absolutely ape-shit with temperature fluctuations, having a temp controller has been nice.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree it's not required.  But when when the wind picks up, and the otherwise-venerable WSM goes absolutely ape-shit with temperature fluctuations, having a temp controller has been nice.

Same. I also like to run it overnight and not have to pay attention at all. That’s where the computer comes in.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

regarding temp controllers; which one is the recommended model, and, if a guy were to upgrade to a '22, could the temp controller be removed from the 18 and switched over? 

Yes, IIRC. The vent hole size is the same on both.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Absolutely this. Either a tri-fold type you throw together, a little shack, whatever. Getting that wind blocked will save a lot of headaches.

I have mine in a little 3x3 shack/shed/whatever you want to call it. Been solid since I built it almost 10 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, stc said:

have made zero mods to mine and it still works fine after 15 years. you can buy all the fancy shit you want but it doesn't require a goddamn computer to cook bbq.  

This is why I love the WSM. You can run it as is (my preferred way as well) or you can be a total control freak and mod the shit out of it. 

Either way your food will come out fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

regarding temp controllers; which one is the recommended model, and, if a guy were to upgrade to a '22, could the temp controller be removed from the 18 and switched over? 

I bought the DigiQ BBQ Guru and have been happy with it.  Yes, you would just have to switch the vent port, that's all that is attached to the WSM.

• Hook 'Em 1