Allstate Drivewise program

This topic briefly came up in the COVID thread due to Allstate giving auto insurance customers a Shelter-in-Place rebate for reduced driving in recent weeks. I got an email from Allstate about the SiP rebate, which also said that I could get that rebate sooner if I installed the Allstate app. So I got the app.

Upon doing this, I noticed a feature called Drivewise that tracks driving habits and offers rewards for good drivers. This is not part of the SiP rebate they advertised, totally different. Drivewise is turned off by default and the user has to activate it. I'm normally hesitant to share location or allow any apps to monitor my activity, but I looked it over and figured it was worth a try if it saves money. I drive about 12 miles a day on residential streets, so I felt like I should be okay to demo it, and if I don't like it I can always turn it back off. 

In the last 4 days it has monitored my trips. It looks at the time of day I'm driving, speeds in excess of 80 mph, and hard braking incidents. I apparently did well in those categories. I was penalized for using my phone while driving a couple times, but one of those I was actually on my bike and it let me remove that data point.

As a result of my driving in 4 days I earned $31.17 back, which can be a check or a statement credit. I took the check. That is much more than I expected to earn, but perhaps they offer bigger bonuses up front to convince you to continue participating.

I don't see much of a downside here but perhaps I'm naive. I'm sure it reduces battery life because it allows an app to run in the background and monitor GPS location. Aside from that?

Someone suggested that Allstate could use this data to avoid paying claims if you are in an accident, if they could demonstrate that you were speeding or otherwise driving recklessly. Would that be possible under the insurance policy terms and conditions? I honestly don't know.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Aside from that?

it doesn't know if you're driving in your car or riding in someone else's.  if you can (remember to) delete the entries maybe it's not a problem. i did a full multi-week test using a different company's app and it spit out the same premium as i was already paying with progressive so i just stuck with progressive.  haven't used progressive's app for that. 

speaking of insurance apps, after using it for the insurance card during a traffic stop, i realized handing my unlocked phone to a cop wasn't something i should be doing (work email account is on there, along with NSAA access). 

Edited by elfenix

I am using the app from USAA. I am currently eligible for a 15% discount when my premium renews. Seems worth it so far.

edit: also my driving score is quite better then the wife’s. I’ve made sure she knows this multiple times because she used to complain about my driving. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

Does it monitor you through your phone, or plug into your OBD 2 port?

We are using it with Safeco and the tech plugs into your port. I think it’s a bit flawed in that it measures hard braking too but it needs some refining. I brake hard to stop for a light, get dinged. Brake hard for someone that comes in your lane then turns, get dinged. I’m at 19% discount right now but the program needs some help.

Being conspiracy minded that I am, I think this is a slow transition to requiring these products and penalizing you when you fail to use them. They're buying people right now to normalize this level of spying. But hey I'm all for discounts so why not.

Eventually as people become accustomed to the voluntary spying, they will flip it to a requirement. Which if you're a "good" driver, you use the product, and still pay the same, who cares if it's required.  Then the drivers that don't enable to product or appear to cheat will see a weekly upcharge.

• Like 3

I will never willingly allow my insurance company to ride shotgun in my vehicle.  I work for an insurance company.  I participated in the beta test of their device for this.   It has been many years since the initial experiment, and I’m sure it has improved.  Still.  Never. In.  My.  Car.  

• Like 4