Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Mike White:

Position: Quarterback

Height/Weight: 6’4”/225 pounds

College Stats: 863 completions on 1,393 attempts, 1,1262 passing yards, 62% completion percentage, 74 TDs, 31 interceptions, 142.9 passer rating.

After transferring to WKU from South Florida in 2015, Mike White’s 2016 junior campaign under then head coach Jeff Brohm (now at Purdue) became the one that will probably define his college career. Following in the footsteps of another now-professional quarterback Brandon Doughty, White and the Hilltopper offense mostly cruised to their second straight Conference USA championship that year. In 2017, Mike Sanford Jr. took the reigns of the team and the offense wasn’t quite the same, but White showed once again what a stellar passer he is (when he actually had time to throw). Now, he has a very good chance of showing what he can do at the professional level.

Pros:

White is a gunslinger. When he sets up in the pocket, he’s truly as good a passer as any quarterback in this draft. During that 2016 season, he finished in the top ten in FBS in pass completion percentage, passing yards, passing yards per attempt, and passing touchdowns. He was also in the top 15 in overall completions. When you throw to guys like Taywan Taylor,Lucky Jackson, and Nacarius Fant, you get pretty good at throwing a deep ball and that’s one of the big things scouts noticed about him at the combine. But White isn’t just a long ball guy. He can do quick hits and short routes as well and really spread the ball around, which makes him great for an uptempo offense.

Con:

He’s REALLY not a runner, which makes him a little one dimensional. Not only is he slow, his ball carrying could be better. He fumbled 12 times in 2017, which you can certainly partially blame on his abysmal offensive line. But here's the thing about the NFL: the defensive linemen are big, fast, and eventually going to tackle you. White needs to be prepared for that.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Back to the Austin thing..... The Rams did it right.  They got something for a projected cut.  They took their medicine (4 million this year) as sunk cost and traded a player without a true position and then drafted a superior player in John Kelly from Tennessee to backfill his projected role.  Kelly will have more value L-T than Austin, IMO as he can be more than a speciality RB...

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sure they did. He did things at Tennessee, and was one of the younger players in n the draft that year. 

They thought the same about Dave lafleur too, but that’s what they thought they were getting. 

So you are arguing that the Cowboys knew they were getting a hall of fame player but waited until the third round to select him. Nice logic. 

The successful teams draft developmental QB’s and work with them. I’m not sure the Cowboys can work with them, but they got a good one. Brandt had him as the QB remaining to draft along with the Richmond QB going into the 4th.

Just now, Rabidhorn said:

The LB Dallas just took graded out to a 30, Hill graded out as a 76, explain that to me?

Gotta be the drug tests.  Not just Dallas refusing to draft him.  It might be more than the drug tests the way teams are refusing to draft him.

Teams must also not like Ford's size or something. Both guys should be gone by now.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Player Bio

Covington was the first Division I scholarship athlete from Chicago's Al Raby High School as a dual-threat quarterback in 2014. He suited up at quarterback for the Hoosiers in 2014, but struggled as a passer (3-of-12, 31 yards, no scores, two interceptions) and then suffered a season-ending ACL injury against Iowa. He moved to linebacker during the following spring, and played in the team's final eight games there (four tackles). Becoming more comfortable at the position, he started once in 13 games played, making 29 stops, three for loss, and two sacks. Covington took another step forward at linebacker in 2017, using his athleticism to garner honorable mention All-Big Ten honors as a 12-game starter, posting 85 tackles, 12 for loss, three sacks, and five pass breakups. He was named Indiana's Defensive Player of the Year for his efforts.

^ From the NFL network's page.

If they really like what they saw, then taking a Round 7/PFA guy with one of two picks in the 6th round, because they thought that at least one other team might like him, is fine with me.

He's a former dual-threat QB who switched to LB after an injury. We've seen that Herman likes the same kind of jumbo athletes. This is the time to take a flyer on a baller.

Not to the cowboys apparently Vic.  Or at least not higher than the LB/OG/WR holes filled earlier.  Other than Ford, not sure there's a guy left that's much more than a prospect or career backup at those spots. still 2 picks left though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Not to the cowboys apparently Vic.  Or at least not higher than the LB/OG/WR holes filled earlier.  Other than Ford, not sure there's a guy left that's much more than a prospect or career backup at those spots. still 2 picks left though.

Well maybe they should see it as a concern. Our DTs are undersized. Even Irving even though he is a game changer. You would prefer some bigger guys up the middle. Like the route the Rams went with Darnold and Suh. I'd much rather have a stout middle of the line than edge rushers if you made me pick. Football is won from the inside out on both sides of the ball but we love to build outside in. And I get it. It's the sexy picks. DTs and safeties are not seen as flashy positions that get all the stats and recognition. But having great safety play is huge. They are the centerfielders of the secondary. Ask Seattle why their secondary was so damn good. Earl and Kam.

Was really hoping we could have made a deal with Seattle for Earl but I guess they weren't budging and it's too late now. Unless they would want picks for next year's draft. But this was the year to do it with all the comp picks we had and now you can trade them.

I liked that we addressed the missing piece on the OL and got LVE for MLB. Still wish they had addressed the DT and safety at the higher rounds. It's too late now.

I don't disagree.  I've been on the "find  a middle round 1 Tech" train for a long time.

I think they needed to add someone to Safety, but the guys on twitter keep saying theyre really high on Woods and Fraizer they want to give them a chance.  Maybe they readdress all the FA Safeties out there now that the draft is done?

Damn looks like late rounds trash cowboys drafting still in effect. But who knows, maybe this QB they drafted can really play ball and he'll rise to the level of playing 2nd halves of preseason games and holding a clipboard for a couple of years before getting cut. 

Just now, In10se said:

Damn looks like late rounds trash cowboys drafting still in effect. But who knows, maybe this QB they drafted can really play ball and he'll rise to the level of playing 2nd halves of preseason games and holding a clipboard for a couple of years before getting cut. 

First two days were so good, today has been no one cares draft trash day.