Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Price played pretty well in his brief stint in the lineup. He was sort of an emergency backup they picked up just before the the season opener after Thornton ended up being a massive bust. He ended up getting quite a bit of playing time and flashed some skills. He's cheap and under contract for two years. If he's healthy he could end up with a significant role on the DL.

Edited by DougO

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Except the line wasn't nearly the same as it was in 2016. Leary was gone, Free retired. Chaz Green, who everybody except Drew knew was a terrible pick at the time, was terrible when forced into action. Then you have a situation where you lose Zeke for six games to suspension. Oh, yeah, and Tyron Smith has back issues. They weren't the same team they were on the O-line the previous year.

to be fair, i was the first to say that was a horrible pick.  i knew he was a three round reach, but when i watched his film, which i do for all dallas draft picks,  i then stated not only was he a reach but would also be a colossal bust. there were plenty like drew, hollywood colt, cdm, etc calling me an idiot for that opinion.  maybe one or two agreed with me then and most were wait and see. then after seeing him play for several years then they finally started admitting he was a bust.

it was the same way when i said it was a huge mistake to go after swoopes instead of barret, same with porter, same with deshon elliott.  i said elliott would be a star when he was recruited, it took a while but i was proved right once again.  i pick my battles but im right most of the time. drew still hasn't admitted i was right about green or any others.  colt apologized about swoopes only.  they call you an idiot then disappear when they are horribly wrong again...

26 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

to be fair, i was the first to say that was a horrible pick.  i knew he was a three round reach, but when i watched his film, which i do for all dallas draft picks,  i then stated not only was he a reach but would also be a colossal bust. there were plenty like drew, hollywood colt, cdm, etc calling me an idiot for that opinion.  maybe one or two agreed with me then and most were wait and see. then after seeing him play for several years then they finally started admitting he was a bust.

it was the same way when i said it was a huge mistake to go after swoopes instead of barret, same with porter, same with deshon elliott.  i said elliott would be a star when he was recruited, it took a while but i was proved right once again.  i pick my battles but im right most of the time. drew still hasn't admitted i was right about green or any others.  colt apologized about swoopes only.  they call you an idiot then disappear when they are horribly wrong again...

I knew it was a reach but they reached for Frederick and it worked out beautifully. Then you heard about Green's health issues, the number of other OL picks they could've made instead and then that wonderful "highlight" clip of him tackling his own teammate or something along those lines. Memory is a little fuzzy. Anyway, I didn't hold out much hope he'd be worth a shit but he's even worse than I imagined he could be.

47 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDNXWYZR2D8b6hhBeTmFY

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

You've got to play the odds.  You call everyone here an idiot you are going to be right more times than not.

3 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

So what's ur take on our new draftees?  LVE gonna be good or Barbie Carpenter 2.0?

i haven't looked at much video except for two players, LVE, Gallup and of course I've seen all of Williams' games.  I think all three are good picks.  I think Williams starts as a rookie and will be very solid.  I think LVE will be a good one but it might take a while, he is more athletic than Lee and has good instincts but he hasn't played much football and so it will take a while for him to get used to this level but I think he will become a good one. Hopefully he progresses enough to take the place of Jaylon Smith at some point next season.  I bet he follows Lee around like a puppy to learn all he can.

I think Gallup will contribute in his first year.  he is tough and plays bigger than he is.  He has the potential of being the best wr on the team but it usually takes wr's a while to contribute in the NFL.  he will play but i'm not sure how much we will get out of him first year.  i loved this pick in the third round.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDNXWYZR2D8b6hhBeTmFY

haha, was really rubbing those guys noses in it more than tooting my own horn...

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You've got to play the odds.  You call everyone here an idiot you are going to be right more times than not.

that is a good point

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

to be fair, i was the first to say that was a horrible pick.  i knew he was a three round reach, but when i watched his film, which i do for all dallas draft picks,  i then stated not only was he a reach but would also be a colossal bust. there were plenty like drew, hollywood colt, cdm, etc calling me an idiot for that opinion.  

meh.  you’re just a dumb fan like anyone else.  because you think you got something right doesn’t mean you don’t shit in your hand most of the time.  and chaz green actually acquitted himself just fine at guard.  it wasn’t until he was forced to play LT that he sucked.

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

meh.  you’re just a dumb fan like anyone else.  because you think you got something right doesn’t mean you don’t shit in your hand most of the time.  and chaz green actually acquitted himself just fine at guard.  it wasn’t until he was forced to play LT that he sucked.

is there any subject on which you're not a complete moron?  i gave you four examples where i was right and the majority said i was wrong initially, now you give me one fucking example where i was wrong.  green has sucked everywhere he has played.  he drafted to be a swing tackle, not guard.  you would know that if you knew one fucking thing about football..

13 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

is there any subject on which you're not a complete moron?  i gave you four examples where i was right and the majority said i was wrong initially, now you give me one fucking example where i was wrong.  green has sucked everywhere he has played.  he drafted to be a swing tackle, not guard.  you would know that if you knew one fucking thing about football..

no, he didn’t suck at guard; he played well enough.  you’re a mouth-breathing cocksucker and a fuckwit. 

but, please, do tell us more about your talent evaluations.

Edited by futureman

no, he didn’t suck at guard; he played well enough.  you’re a mouth-breathing cocksucker and a fuckwit. 
but, please, do tell us more about your talent evaluations.

Here’s one talent evaluation everyone will agree on, you’re a fucking no talent loser who has never had a good take on anything on this board. Never been funny, just a snarky asshole, nothing more.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Green was so good at guard they just used a 2nd round pick to replace him when all of their TE combined have 9 total receptions, their starting safeties are Jeff Heath and a 2nd year 6th round draft pick, and their best receiver was a guy who just got cut by Jacksonville. 

10 minutes ago, In10se said:

Green was so good at guard they just used a 2nd round pick to replace him when all of their TE combined have 9 total receptions, their starting safeties are Jeff Heath and a 2nd year 6th round draft pick, and their best receiver was a guy who just got cut by Jacksonville. 

he didn’t play guard last year but you made a good effort. 

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

he didn’t play guard last year but you made a good effort. 

He started the first three weeks of the season at guard and was so good he was replaced. 

Edited by In10se

1 minute ago, In10se said:

He would have if he was good at it like you said he was.

you’re even worse at this than miles.  and you seem dumber.

he was serviceable at guard early last season before cooper took over.  not really the starter you want but he wasn’t a sieve.  then when he switched to tackle he was terrible, couldn’t even kick the ball through the uprights.  he was ok at guard, but of course not good enough to preclude us from drafting connor williams late in round 2.  a great value and basically gives us 1st round talent all the way across the youngest line in the NFL. 

So was he ok at guard or good? First you said good now hedging. 

And again... this team had massive holes at TE/Receiver/and Safety that needed to be addressed and they felt so poorly about the prospect of putting Green at guard now that Cooper is gone that they elected to address that position over all of them. That says all that needs to be said. 

Now go get me some butt fucking blueberries. 

The Cowboys pumped sunshine about how awesome Chaz was and projected him to be the starting RT. But he stunk up the field, and lost the job to Collins.

Then the Cowboys pumped sunshine about how awesome Chaz would be at LG and handed him the job to lose over some pug they signed on the cheap who had been cut by several teams but could maybe be an OK backup, or start in case Chaz Greeen just sucks. Chaz stunk up the field and lost the job to Cooper, because Chaz sucked.

Then the Cowboys pumped sunshine about how awesome Chaz was going to be as the swing tackle. Then when he had to play he stunk up the field so bad he gave up six sacks to a guy who only had three the rest of the entire year, and was replaced by Byron Bell, an emergency depth guy they had signed in case they found out what everybody already knew, that Chaz Green fucking sucks super heavy goat ass.

They let Cooper walk, even though he remained quite cheap and wanted to stay, because he wasn't really that good, even though he had proved to be light years better than Chaz, who sucks. The Cowboys then signed a marginally usable backup level guy, because they know it would be disaster if Chaz ever plays in a game, even as a backup, because he sucks. Then as they had planned all along, they drafted a player early that they project to be the actual starter at guard, because they never really wanted the free agent guy to start, and they certainly know that Chaz Green sucks.

The Cowboys will pump more sunshine about Chaz Green's talent, attitude and work ethic this offseason, and how he's really developing as a player and will challenge for a job. It's what they do. But they know that unless some guys get hurt he will never see the field, because Chaz Green sucks.

Edited by DougO

18 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Here’s one talent evaluation everyone will agree on, you’re a fucking no talent loser who has never had a good take on anything on this board. Never been funny, just a snarky asshole, nothing more.

He's definitely a 5 star composite cocksucker.

Regrading the 2014 draft

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/draft-grades-2014-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-khalil-mack

Cowboys go from one of the worst to 2nd best.

2018 Rank 2014 Draft Class 2018 SI Grade 2014 SI Grade
1 Oakland Raiders A A
2 Dallas Cowboys B+ B-
T3 Atlanta Falcons B B
T3 Green Bay Packers B A
T3 Jacksonville Jaguars B A-
T3 Los Angeles (then St. Louis) Rams B A-
T3 New York Giants B B
T3 Pittsburgh Steelers B B
T9 Baltimore Ravens B- A-
T9 Kansas City Chiefs B- B-
T9 Minnesota Vikings B- A+
T9 New England Patriots B- C+
T9 Tennessee Titans B- B
T14 Denver Broncos C+ B
T14 Detroit Lions C+ B
T14 San Francisco 49ers C+ B+
T14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers C+ B+
T14 Washington C+ B+
T19 Arizona Cardinals C B
T19 Carolina Panthers C A-
T19 Chicago Bears C A-
T19 Cincinnati Bengals C A-
T19 Los Angeles (then San Diego) Chargers C B
T19 Seattle Seahawks C B-
T25 Houston Texans C- A-
T25 Miami Dolphins C- B-
T25 New Orleans Saints C- B-
T28 Indianapolis Colts D+ C
T28 Philadelphia Eagles D+ C
T30 Buffalo Bills D- B
T30 Cleveland Browns D- B+
T30 New York Jets D- B

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Regrading the 2014 draft

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/draft-grades-2014-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-khalil-mack

1 Oakland Raiders A A
2 Dallas Cowboys B+ B-
T3 Atlanta Falcons B B
T3 Green Bay Packers B A
T3 New York Giants B B
T9 Tennessee Titans B- B
T14 Denver Broncos C+ B
T14 Detroit Lions C+ B
T14 Washington C+ B+
T19 Chicago Bears C A-
T25 Houston Texans C- A-
T25 Miami Dolphins C- B-
T30 Buffalo Bills D- B
T30 New York Jets D- B

The write up for Cowboys is fucking awesome...... Jerrah, shut the fuck up and go sell more luxury seats.  

The Zack Martin pick was made by Jerry Jones’ son Stephen—Jerry later lectured him about choosing the guard over Rockstar quarterback Johnny Manziel. The exact quote: “Son, I hope you're happy. But let me tell you something: You don't get to own the Cowboys, you don't get to do special things in life, by making major decisions going right down the middle. And that was right down the middle.”

It was right down the middle like a bowling ball on a strike—an analogy that’s extra ripe considering how Manziel’s career wound up in the gutter. Martin has become arguably the game’s best guard, and arguably the best player on what is inarguably football’s best offensive line.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Regrading the 2014 draft

1 Oakland Raiders A A
2 Dallas Cowboys B+ B-
T3 Atlanta Falcons B B
T3 Green Bay Packers B A
T3 New York Giants B B
T9 Tennessee Titans B- B
T14 Denver Broncos C+ B
T14 Detroit Lions C+ B
T14 Washington C+ B+
T19 Chicago Bears C A-
T25 Houston Texans C- A-
T25 Miami Dolphins C- B-
T30 Buffalo Bills D- B
T30 New York Jets D- B

2nd best is surprising.  martin has been great since day one.  hitchens and lawrence came along slower but last year were both pretty good.  but the remaining six picks contributed zero.  

Only two players remain from that draft and both were drafted in the top 34. The rest never even contributed a single season, other than Hitchens, who wasn't good enough to keep and forced the Cowboys to draft another LB in round 1.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

2nd best is surprising.  martin has been great since day one.  hitchens and lawrence came along slower but last year were both pretty good.  but the remaining six picks contributed zero.  

The chances of being on an NFL roster after year 4 after being drafted after the 3rd round are pretty slim.  Lawrence is a pro-bowl caliber DE and Martin is probably the best guard in football right now.  Not many teams can say they got that kind of production out of their draft picks.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Only two players remain from that draft and both were drafted in the top 34. The rest never even contributed a single season, other than Hitchens, who wasn't good enough to keep and forced the Cowboys to draft another LB in round 1.

No.. just another team was willing to overpay for Hitchens.  Was he worth $9 million a year in your eyes?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

would you have given hitchens $9MM/year for five years to stay?  I think everyone agrees he was more than good enough to keep but if someone wants to moneywhip him there’s not really anything to do about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, futureman said:

Read the other teams reviews. It didn't take much to be the top