Non-Texas Recruiting 2022

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I could name player after player that were rated as 3 stars whose on-field efforts were much better. Emmanuel seems like the kind of player we should be all over. He's the kind of player Gary Patterson built TCU's success upon.

Yeah, I know he's got at least one power 5 school that's all over him but feel like these teams find these guys and wait until the last minute to offer them so that no one else takes notice.  There is a reason there are more 3 star QBs in the NFL than 5 stars.

The recruiting of QBs has gotten to where they only look at tall dudes who can "make all the throws" with rocket arms and completely skip over guys that have good to great arms (but not elite) but who actually know which throw to make.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, I know he's got at least one power 5 school that's all over him but feel like these teams find these guys and wait until the last minute to offer them so that no one else takes notice.  There is a reason there are more 3 star QBs in the NFL than 5 stars.

The recruiting of QBs has gotten to where they only look at tall dudes who can "make all the throws" with rocket arms and completely skip over guys that have good to great arms (but not elite) but who actually know which throw to make.

I'm sure he's a great kid, but I don't see QB for him at the next level. He's also not under the radar if he got invited to E11. CJ Stroud went there as a relative unknown and came out a 5-star after his season supported his performance there.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holy. Shit. This would be a tremendous hire for Florida and I hate Florida. 

My in-laws are big UL people. The AD texted my FIL yesterday and it sounds like he basically told him he expected him to leave for UF. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Mullen is gone for a couple of days and already recruiting is picking up for UF

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Napier doing work.. FWIW a buckeye guy i know thought he was going to commit there too

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Chris McLellan to UF - some weird timing here ::

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-McClellan-46100996/

I don't think OU or Ohio St wanted him. He apparently had a disappointing year.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:37 PM, Duane Moore said:

I would laugh if they’ve been spinning their wheels with Jimbo and Riley all this time and end up missing out on both Napier and Aranda. 

The LSU boards think they still have a shot with Riley. 

It's really the only thing that makes sense to me because they would have already locked up somebody like Napier, Aranda or Fickell. They might miss on Riley but I think it's obvious they're swinging big here. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's really the only thing that makes sense to me because they would have already locked up somebody like Napier, Aranda or Fickell. They might miss on Riley but I think it's obvious they're swinging big here. 

This is an interesting scenario. For LSU, would you prioritize Riley over Aranda? I'm not sure that I would. 

I also think Fickell would be a good candidate, but I speculate he wouldn't be interested in LSU given how his NFL career transpired. He's an Ohio man through and through.

If I were a LSU fan, I would go for a head coach with defensive roots and trust him to get a decent offensive coordinator. Maybe this season has influenced my judgment a bit.

Riley is underwhelming as a head coach for a team seeking to win national championships and being in weak Big 12 conference has made him look much better than he really is.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I agree that LSU's hire will feel underwhelming unless they get Riley (or an NFL guy?) at this point, but I don't think OU'd let him leave without a fight.

I don't think LSU (or USC or UF) gets Riley from OU simply by outbidding the Sooners. OU knows that having Riley when they move to the SEC is their surest path to avoiding becoming Arkansas, and that's worth a lot. Coming from the other direction, by all accounts, Riley values the stability that OU's administration offers him. This stability is stands in contrast the clownshow that is the LSU administration, which had the University running a deficit recently and currently has basketball recruiting scandal and a football Title 9 scandal.

To me, Riley leaving would mean that he really doesn't think he can win a national championship at OU, which may be the case. I may know that OU's administration won't be fully in the bag game (a la A&M, Georgia, Bama, Ohio St, and LSU), or feel that OU's lack of natural recruiting advantages will cripple the program with the change in conference.

Because the OU admin ALSO knows these factors are out there, I bet they'd even OVERpay to keep him.

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Riley is underwhelming as a head coach for a team seeking to win national championships and being in weak Big 12 conference has made him look much better than he really is.

All the guy did was move to OU and create an offense that's really fun and effective. Then he got the head coaching job and has won the conference title every year so far (and is within two games of doing it again), while beating his school's leading rivals 9 out of 10 times, going 14-4 vs top 25, 7-3 vs top 10, 21-6 in one possession games, and 55-9 overall. His recruiting is just now approaching the Clemson/Ga/Bama/Ohio St level, despite OU not being fully in the bag game like those others schools (see the Sooners lack of interest from players who want the full bag).

This year his offense is down. "Down" means FEI rank 16th, FPI efficiency ranking 8th, yards/play 8th. He's finally got a defensive coordinator who isn't a jerk, and the defense has improve from trash fire to competent and will probably be better in the coming years based on recruiting alone.

Who are the other coaches with comparable/better national championship odds?

Active coaches with national championships:
Saban: GOAT, but old, not leaving Bama (except if Texas opens).
Corch O: CEO coach whose offense sucks without transcendent skill position talent. LSU just fired him.
Dabo: CEO head coach whose offense sucks this year without transcendent skill position talent. Not leaving Clemson.
Jimbo: Surprisingly only 56, but looks terrible. Has more guaranteed money than any other coach in America, college or pro, in any sport (I think). One natl championship at FSU and then the program cratered. Best seasons at A&M was last year when he lost to Bama by 4 TDs and this year when he's lost 3 times. Seems to need to cheat to recruit.
Mack Brown: Yes, LSU should hire Mack Brown.

Coaches without a national championship but look like they could win one:
Ryan Day: Young, 42 (Riley's 38), but not leaving Ohio St. He's #1 on the list to be next NEW national championship winning coach based on the based of operations and his performance.
Brian Kelly: Old, looks even older. ND was thought to be his dream job so not leaving. Based on his sideline demeanor, you'd be hiring @closetojumping with good scheme knowledge. His defensive coordinator, Marcus Freeman, may be the best coach on the staff.
James Franklin: Good recruiter of players and staff. 1-5 vs Ohio St but most of those losses were close. Nicknamed Frames Jacklin because of his boggling in game decision making. Compare his record at Penn St, 67–32, to Riley's.
Mario Cristobol: Good recruiter of players and staff but may need Nike $ to do it. Despite the PAC12 being WAY DOWN, he's only won one conference title. He ascended to HC job at Oregon the same year Riley did at OU. Compare 34–12 his record to Riley's.

The only coaches that have more proven quality then Riley who aren't fossils are Dabo, Jimbo, and Day. I'd take Riley over Dabo and Jimbo regardless, but none of these three are moving anyway.

Who else are you thinking?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:25 AM, quigley said:

All the guy did was move to OU and create an offense that's really fun and effective. Then he got the head coaching job and has won the conference title every year so far (and is within two games of doing it again), while beating his school's leading rivals 9 out of 10 times, going 14-4 vs top 25, 7-3 vs top 10, 21-6 in one possession games, and 55-9 overall. His recruiting is just now approaching the Clemson/Ga/Bama/Ohio St level, despite OU not being fully in the bag game like those others schools (see the Sooners lack of interest from players who want the full bag).

This year his offense is down. "Down" means FEI rank 16th, FPI efficiency ranking 8th, yards/play 8th. He's finally got a defensive coordinator who isn't a jerk, and the defense has improve from trash fire to competent and will probably be better in the coming years based on recruiting alone.

Who are the other coaches with comparable/better national championship odds?

Active coaches with national championships:
Saban: GOAT, but old, not leaving Bama (except if Texas opens).
Corch O: CEO coach whose offense sucks without transcendent skill position talent. LSU just fired him.
Dabo: CEO head coach whose offense sucks this year without transcendent skill position talent. Not leaving Clemson.
Jimbo: Surprisingly only 56, but looks terrible. Has more guaranteed money than any other coach in America, college or pro, in any sport (I think). One natl championship at FSU and then the program cratered. Best seasons at A&M was last year when he lost to Bama by 4 TDs and this year when he's lost 3 times. Seems to need to cheat to recruit.
Mack Brown: Yes, LSU should hire Mack Brown.

Coaches without a national championship but look like they could win one:
Ryan Day: Young, 42 (Riley's 38), but not leaving Ohio St. He's #1 on the list to be next NEW national championship winning coach based on the based of operations and his performance.
Brian Kelly: Old, looks even older. ND was thought to be his dream job so not leaving. Based on his sideline demeanor, you'd be hiring @closetojumping with good scheme knowledge. His defensive coordinator, Marcus Freeman, may be the best coach on the staff.
James Franklin: Good recruiter of players and staff. 1-5 vs Ohio St but most of those losses were close. Nicknamed Frames Jacklin because of his boggling in game decision making. Compare his record at Penn St, 67–32, to Riley's.
Mario Cristobol: Good recruiter of players and staff but may need Nike $ to do it. Despite the PAC12 being WAY DOWN, he's only won one conference title. He ascended to HC job at Oregon the same year Riley did at OU. Compare 34–12 his record to Riley's.

The only coaches that have more proven quality then Riley who aren't fossils are Dabo, Jimbo, and Day. I'd take Riley over Dabo and Jimbo regardless, but none of these three are moving anyway.

Who else are you thinking?

season 7 middle finger GIF

i gave you a pos rep for being funny tho. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
LOL at taking Riley over Dabo.

I think Riley would kill it at LSU. With his offensive mind and the kind of talent he could pull in that state on defense, if he just got at least an average DC (Grinch qualifies as that) they would win a ton of games. But moves of coaches from blue blood to blue blood so rarely happen I wouldn’t count on it happening. 

Long-ass article link for those inclined to read it

"LSU's roster numbers after latest attrition"

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/LSU-Tigers-Football-Roster-Attrition-Decommitments--177827024/#177827024_13

Below is the Summary at end of this article:

Summary

As of Dec. 8, LSU had eight players declare for the NCAA Transfer Portal off the 2021 roster.

Minus those eight, and projecting Derek Stingley Jr. and Cade York as early declarations for the 2022 NFL Draft, along with Damone Clark, Ed Ingram and Micah Baskerville projected to decline returning for an extra year, the roster sits at 59 players on scholarship. That includes projecting Chasen Hines, Todd Harris, Soni Fonua and Avery Atkins return for an extra year due to 2020 not counting towards their eligibility. That number also reflects Pig Cage listed as a walk-on and projecting Josh Williams and Jack Mashburn on scholarship.

Add in 32 potential newcomers – made up of high school recruits and college transfers – and LSU would need to lose three more players to get down to the NCAA limit of 85