Radio host Art Bell dies at 72

Dolemite

Longtime radio host Art Bell died Friday at his Pahrump home, the Nye County Sheriff’s Office announced. He was 72.

Bell’s paranormal-themed show, “Coast to Coast AM,” was syndicated on about 500 North American stations in the 1990s before he left the nightly show in 2002. He broadcast the show from Pahrump’s KNYE 95.1 FM, a station he founded.

Bell retired several times in his career, which included a short-lived show on SiriusXM satellite radio in 2013.

Returning to terrestrial radio afterward was not a difficult decision, he told the Pahrump Valley Times in August 2013.

“That’s easy, because I love it,” he said at the time. “It’s my life, and that’s all I have ever done. I went through a lot of family problems, so that interrupted things, and I was overseas for four years, and that certainly interrupted things. I went back into radio because I love it.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/pahrump-based-radio-host-art-bell-dies-at-72/

Art may be gone but his show lives on. I like his successor George Noory, he's gentle with the random nutjobs that call in to the show and he's got a cast of regulars that call too. Sometimes it's actually even informative depending on the subject and the guest.

Edited by El Diablo

I listened to the shit out of Art Bell from 1994 to 1999. 
I didn't believe a lick of it, but he put on a good show. Kind of like Alex Jones back in the day.
Me too in 95 and 96 living in Dallas, then lost interest. I'd have it on my delayed off button on the clock radio and fall asleep to it.

Fall 2003 on the road from Baton Rouge to Houston on the middle of the night I ended up listening to his show. The topic than night was Vampires and so a steady stream of vampires were calling in to discuss their lifestyle. After a bit the show was flooded with vampires calling on to discuss how all of the other vampires were full of shit and that there was no way they "others" were real vampires.

It was a total shit show and the only time I ever listened to Coast to Coast, but damn it was entertaining.

Shadow people in the treeline and silent black helicopters hovering above rural shacks -- so many of Art's callers were bedeviled by both of them. Both of those hallucinations are quite common among meth addicts, and I imagine the tweaker / Art Bell fan combo was and is quite a large and motley crew.  

They sure as hell were entertaining, mostly because they really believed what they were saying. 

And he can forget when the Russians drilled down into hell? 

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shadow people in the treeline and silent black helicopters hovering above rural shacks -- so many of Art's callers were bedeviled by both of them. Both of those hallucinations are quite common among meth addicts, and I imagine the tweaker / Art Bell fan combo was and is quite a large and motley crew.  

They sure as hell were entertaining, mostly because they really believed what they were saying. 

And he can forget when the Russians drilled down into hell? 

That commotion you hear was from the dining hall at lunch. We had put out a salad bar but no tongs. 

Had never heard of the guy or his program.  Friend and I are driving back to TN in the middle of the night and I come across his show.  It was some War of the Worlds-esque shit where callers were calling in with live updates of close encounters over several major cities.  Freaked me the f out.