Texas Women's Tennis 2020-2021 Let's Go!!!

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!

From the depths of 2015 til now! Give Joffe both a raise and extension!!!!

My former club tennis friend and I were yesterday reminiscing of how low the program had gotten to 6-7 years ago to where it is today. Not many people know that back in 2015 the varsity team was recruiting girls from the club team just to get players. It was BAD, and now we're champs!

Edited by perfectchaos007

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

My former club tennis friend and I were yesterday reminiscing of how low the program had gotten to 6-7 years ago to where it is today. Not many people know that back in 2015 the varsity team was recruiting girls from the club team just to get players. It was BAD, and now we're champs!

I remember that. That was that one season coach, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I remember that. That was that one season coach, right? 

Yep...

This champ was won by this current team but huge props to all the players who stayed through the mess (Bree, Neda, etc.), the players who bought into Joffe's vision when there was nothing (Bianca, Poluta, Crovetti, etc.) and the former assistant coaches (Dolehide, Shaimaa). They laid the foundation for this team.

Edited by Aleemay
  • Hook 'Em 3

No. 2 Texas wins the 2021 DI women's tennis team championship

Lulu Sun delivered No. 2 Texas its third championship in program history, defeating Pepperdine's Taisiya Pachkaleva in the deciding match at No. 3 singles. Sun won her matchup 6-2, 7-6, 7-5. She had a chance to serve for the match up 5-3 after a service break in the eighth game before Pachkaleva broke back and tied the set at five games apiece. But Sun's serve put her back in front again and broke Pachkaleva's serve a second time to win it, clinching the match with a cross-court backhand winner that was returned into the net.

Texas won the doubles point and No. 4 singles for an early 2-0 lead before Pepperdine pulled level with wins on courts two and five. The Longhorns and Waves split singles wins at No. 1 and No. 6 just as Pachkaleva forced a third set, setting the stage for a winner-take-all moment.

Here are the final scores (in order) of all singles matches:

No. 4 singles: Texas' Charlotte Chavatipon def. Pepperdine's Shiori Fukuda 6-3, 6-2
No. 2 singles: Pepperdine's Jessica Failla def. Texas' Anna Turati 6-2, 6-3
No. 5 singles: Pepperdine's Lisa Zaar def. Texas' Kylie Collins 6-3, 7-6
No. 1 singles: Texas' Peyton Stearns def. Pepperdine's Ashley Lahey  2-6, 6-0, 6-2
No. 6 singles: Pepperdine's Nikki Redelijk def. Texas' Malaika Rapolu 6-4, 7-5
No. 3 singles: Texas' Lulu Sun def. Pepperdine's Taisiya Pachkaleva 6-4, 6-7, 7-5

And this is how Texas won the doubles point:

No. 1 doubles: Texas' L. Sun/K. Collins 7, Pepperdine's A. Lahey/L. Zaar 6 (7-3 in tiebreak) 

No. 2 doubles: Pepperdine's S. Fukuda/T. Pachkaleva 6, Texas' A. Turati/F. Labrana 1

No. 3 doubles: Texas' C. Chavapiton/P. Stearns 7, Pepperdine's J. Failla/A. Iamachkine 6 (7-5 in tiebreak) 

24 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Yep...

This champ not only belongs to this current team but also all the players who stayed through the mess (Bree, Neda, etc.), the players who bought into Joffe's vision when there was nothing (Bianca, Poluta, Crovetti, etc.) and the assistant coaches (Dolehide, Shaimaa)

Yeah Crovetti is one of the girls that came from club tennis, and she played some meaningful matches in our down years in doubles and sometimes at line 6. Pay Joffe whatever he asks for so this won't happen again!