OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

6B6ABF6A-88F0-4409-B830-4F19302968FD.thumb.jpeg.f576dfa55ec2926661883f834964ad56.jpeg

My dude, I know he sucks as a recruiter. I was being sarcastic. Roof checks none of the boxes I was hoping for -- innovation, relateability, recruiting--ZERO. I mean, he didn't cover up a rape conspiracy ring, so he's got that going for him.

It's a terrible hire unless Roof's figured out a way to legally get 13 men on the field.

Edited by quigley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

My dude, I know he sucks as a recruiter. I was being sarcastic. Roof checks none of the boxes I was hoping for -- innovation, relateability, recruiting--ZERO. I mean, he didn't cover up a rape conspiracy ring, so he's got that going for him.

It's a terrible hire unless Roof's figured out a way to legally get 13 men on the field.

From a splash hire perspective, yeah it is. But BV knows he needs a guy to do all that “mundane” anyalytical, breakdown, scheme, practice shit. So in that way it works…I think of it as Sark’s Milwee

15 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

From a splash hire perspective, yeah it is. But BV knows he needs a guy to do all that “mundane” anyalytical, breakdown, scheme, practice shit. So in that way it works…I think of it as Sark’s Milwee

I hope Roof is a competent game planner. You know what you do with that guy, make him an analyst. That was his job at Clemson. OU should've doubled his salary and made him an analyst again.

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

I hope Roof is a competent game planner. You know what you do with that guy, make him an analyst. That was his job at Clemson. OU should've doubled his salary and made him an analyst again.

Milwee vs Roof is definitely the matchup we’ve all wanted

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

@golfclap will definitely know more, but the impression I got was he had a solid regular season and completely melted down in the playoffs.

I think he's just ok as a football player and if that were all OU was getting it would be a marginal take for the Sooners to be a career depth QB and I don't know that he's a great fit for Lebby's offense. That said it's everything off the chalk that is a hard pass for me. He's not beloved by teammates and his parents are boisterous and annoying on social media and helicopter parents IRL. The mom is a trainer who thinks she knows everything about training elite athletes and the father is a finger-in-every-pie entrepreneur type dude. I expect that they will get along famously with the Williams clan. His football skills aren't worth that horseshit and if it were me I'd rather work a flip from Locke (from Leach) or Hoover (from TCU) -both would be better fits for Lebby's offense anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think he's just ok as a football player and if that were all OU was getting it would be a marginal take for the Sooners to be a career depth QB and I don't know that he's a great fit for Lebby's offense. That said it's everything off the chalk that is a hard pass for me. He's not beloved by teammates and his parents are boisterous and annoying on social media and helicopter parents IRL. The mom is a trainer who thinks she knows everything about training elite athletes and the father is a finger-in-every-pie entrepreneur type dude. I expect that they will get along famously with the Williams clan. His football skills aren't worth that horseshit and if it were me I'd rather work a flip from Locke (from Leach) or Hoover (from TCU) -both would be better fits for Lebby's offense anyway.  

Caleb’s recent social media leads me to believe he is staying. I think that was Lebby’s actual target. My assumption is he’s a stop-gap for this class as OU needed another scholarship quarterback behind Caleb. ‘23 should see a better fit for Lebby’s offense and squeeze this kid out perhaps. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Caleb’s recent social media leads me to believe he is staying. I think that was Lebby’s actual target. My assumption is he’s a stop-gap for this class as OU needed another scholarship quarterback behind Caleb. ‘23 should see a better fit for Lebby’s offense and squeeze this kid out perhaps. 

that's my guess as well - I just think you'd be better off taking a kid with that spot who is more of a head down workman kid but yeah, I think this is very much a stopgap and I would expect him to portal out in a year or two

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, Constant said:

Holding onto a top 10 class so far. Pretty impressive considering we were gutted and left for dead in the ocean just a week and a half ago. 

OU needed a big class this year and was set to sign one because of a large graduating class + early NFL entries + portalling. So the quality of the class has remained high, but numbers will be very short.

So far, including 2022 signees, OU only has 69 scholarship players by my count (offense 33, defense 36). They lead for at least 3 more defensive players to the class (1 each-DB, LB, DT) and 1 offensive player (RB) for the 2022 class right now. All 4 are well regard (3 4-stars, 1 3-star).

But the Sooners will be VERY short in some key areas, or they'll reach, or they'll be heavy in the portal.

OU has only 13 total WR/TE, including 4 class of 2022 freshmen from whom you expect nothing, and 3 RB (1 2022). They'll have to go to the portal for at least one WR and a RB. OU has only 14 OL total including only 7 interior players so I image more high school or portal takes.

6 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

@quigley any concerns on Gentry Williams? I noticed he hasn't signed yet.

He smartly is waiting to see who OU gets at CB coach. OU could mess this up, but Arkansas, not the heaviest of hitters, seems to be #2 right now.

I think they'll keep him if the rumors are true and OU gets Clinkscale from Michigan (who's really good).

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

So since Venables has ethics and all I guess they won't be taking Kanak. 

Venables has said he won't pursue or contact any players he recruited for Clemson, and I think he's explicitly stated he's not contacted Kanak or the 3-4 other defensive players who decommited.

Venables grew up in KS and played LB, just like Kanak. I think it's different if Kanak reaches out to Venables at OU and tells that he's not going to sign with Clemson. Also, OU recruited Kanak prior to the staff changes. It's certainly different from what Riley's done, which is an "all's fair in love and recruiting" approach.

12 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Bob Stoops has ethics Joe Mixon says hold my beer 

Stoops has said that keeping Mixon was bad for OU and Mixon too, and that it was the worst decision he made at OU.

7 hours ago, Scholz said:

Yes, Bob and all of his wifebeaters. Also, Venables just hired a rape enabler as OC.

The worst thing about Lebby's time at Baylor was the Lebby was one of the coaches who remained on the staff who actively defended Briles after the cover ups were revealed. Whether Lebby actively participated in the coverups is sort of immaterial at that point because it indicates he's tone deaf at least and possibly much worse.

It will be interesting to see how Venables reconciles this with his overall message of family, faith, etc.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 2

Kanak has been showing up in some of the nightly Sooner Twitter spaces on his own, so we know there's at least interest there from his end.  Venables is working hard to not come across the way Lincoln has, and some OU fans aren't happy.  They see anyone who decommits or puts their name into the portal from Clemson as free game, and it's hard to argue that.  Don't pursue active commits, don't pursue rostered players, sure, but if a player initiates contact or expresses interest, there's got to be some kind of response.

We don't know what's going on behind those conversations, though.  No player in any of those situations has commented about Venables, as far as I know, so it's pure speculation.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:06 AM, quigley said:

The worst thing about Lebby's time at Baylor was the Lebby was one of the coaches who remained on the staff who actively defended Briles after the cover ups were revealed. Whether Lebby actively participated in the coverups is sort of immaterial at that point because it indicates he's tone deaf at least and possibly much worse.

I'd imagine sticking up for your father-in-law is kind of important if you're going to remain married. Wouldn't imagine Stacey & Kendall would have appreciated Lebby coming out against their dad.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, hook me said:

I'd imagine sticking up for your father-in-law is kind of important if you're going to remain married. Wouldn't imagine Stacey & Kendall would have appreciated Lebby coming out against their dad.

If only there were a third option other than vehement public defense or publicly shitting on him. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

Apparently Kanak is in the OU student portal and will be an early enrollee.  Per Eddie Rado and Bob P.

Ahh, the old tried and true "OU walk-on," like that piece of shit Baker Mayfield. Any players getting suspended for smacking a ho, aka taking a redshirt year?

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Apparently Kanak is in the OU student portal and will be an early enrollee.  Per Eddie Rado and Bob P.

48 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Ahh, the old tried and true "OU walk-on," like that piece of shit Baker Mayfield. Any players getting suspended for smacking a ho, aka taking a redshirt year?

I think it's a lot simpler than this. There's no requirement that you need a ceremony or edit to sign your scholarship letter.

By Kanak quietly signing the letter and coming into Norman in January, OU doesn't provide ESPN another "Clemson ESPN 300 recruit follows Venables to OU" column, embarrassing Dabo and Venables and putting more pressure on the kid. This is the smart way to do this.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hook me said:

Negged for weak equivocating. 

38 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Not to mention Kendal and Jeff have known each other pretty much their entire lives and are best friends.

That's great and all, but if my buddy or brother-in-law starts facilitating the regular rape of women near me and my job, I'm probably not going to consider him a friend for much longer. Those making other decisions deserve whatever derision the public and universe can throw their way. And yes, I've walked away from friendships before when the other person started doing unethical or illegal shit.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If only there were a third option other than vehement public defense or publicly shitting on him. 

@closetojumping posted just about the same thing as I did concurrently.

This is the right answer. It is possible (though not likely) that Lebby was completely ignorant of the criminal behavior in Waco during Briles tenure.

But why did Lebby have to come out in support of Briles after Art was fired?

If family loyalty requires you to condone criminal behavior, your family is a problem.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, quigley said:

This is the right answer. It is possible (though not likely) that Lebby was completely ignorant of the criminal behavior in Waco during Briles tenure.

But why did Lebby have to come out in support of Briles after Art was fired?

If family loyalty requires you to condone criminal behavior, your family is a problem.

He (Lebby) wasn’t ignorant. He and Kendall both participated in the facilitation and cover up. Art Briles took the professional fall for the family in exchange for dropping a defamation suit against Baylor. Art agreed to drop the suit and Baylor agreed not to publish documents that would’ve ended Kendall and Jeff’s careers. Kendall and Jeff may have been more involved than Art. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

He (Lebby) wasn’t ignorant. He and Kendall both participated in the facilitation and cover up. Art Briles took the professional fall for the family in exchange for dropping a defamation suit against Baylor. Art agreed to drop the suit and Baylor agreed not to publish documents that would’ve ended Kendall and Jeff’s careers. Kendall and Jeff may have been more involved than Art. 

I'm not letting Lebby off for any of it. Read what I wrote. Even if he participated in it, doubling down after the fact shows he didn't learn from it.

We're agreeing.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Baylor paid Art to take the fall but it was to cover their own ass.  I know a primary attorney involved in multiple suits against Baylor outside of football.   He wouldn't disclose confidential information/specifics but I'm confident it was orchestrated to place the focus on Art/football in the media to cover what was a big Baylor problem.  I mean really that much is known even publicly.  I probably know more about this than most from different angles and I come out that (i) Art should have been fired and (ii) Baylor, as an institution, is a really fucking evil place.  But this isn't the thread for that.  Back to OU Sucks..

• Hook 'Em 1