Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

9 minutes ago, midtown said:

Over the last 3 years I've spent well over $500 and hours getting tested to inbound from varies locations.  It was understandable for a while but it stop making sense over a year ago.

Looks like it will drop midnight Sunday and be reevaluated in 90 days.    Sucks for anyone flying home this wknd.  

Well, at least one of us will get to skip that headache.  The boy had to do it when he came home, we lost fucking TWO HOURS getting it done at our hotel in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, but the girl doesn't fly home for a couple of weeks yet, so, yay....1 for 4 on getting to skip it.

It's long since been time to pull that requirement -- damn near everyone else has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm flying to New Orleans tomorrow, first time flying since 2019.

There are no mask requirements on domestic flights now, correct?  And also, none in the airports?

And for anyone that knows New Orleans recently, any masking or other requirements in that city?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'm flying to New Orleans tomorrow, first time flying since 2019.

There are no mask requirements on domestic flights now, correct?  And also, none in the airports?

And for anyone that knows New Orleans recently, any masking or other requirements in that city?

Nope. All clear. Go nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would keep a mask or two around but nothing on domestic flights and no airports I've been in since the revocation. We were actually notified upon boarding our flight to Belize that PGIA required them. But when going back a few weeks ago zero use in the airport.

I guess it's possible that some airports are under the control of the local municipality and could still require masks but yet to hear anything like that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Anyone flown on Lufthansa lately? I just checked in for my flight to Frankfurt from AUS tomorrow and it said they still require an N95. I’m wondering if this is actually the case. 

Air Canada still requires masks, but not N95s.  I wouldn't know where to find an N95 on short notice.

2 minutes ago, After irth said:

Nope. All clear. Go nuts.

Gracias.  My wife and I both got the rona about a month ago after two years of successful dodgeball, was thankfully quite mild for us, but now we're feeling pretty invincible!

Just now, midtown said:

I would keep a mask or two around but nothing on domestic flights and no airports I've been in since the revocation. We were actually notified upon boarding our flight to Belize that PGIA required them. But when going back a few weeks ago zero use in the airport.

I guess it's possible that some airports are under the control of the local municipality and could still require masks but yet to hear anything like that.

That's kinda what I was thinking and wondering about.  Thanks.

I’ve been in a couple of airports whose city governments still require masks after the federal mandate ended and those local orders have been completely ignored by almost everyone, with hardly a mention that I’ve seen.  Philly, LAX, and the two NYC airports claim to require them.  I’d have one with you if you pass through there, but don’t expect much push back if you don’t wear it.  

55 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Air Canada still requires masks, but not N95s.  I wouldn't know where to find an N95 on short notice.

They sent an email after I posted that clarified surgical masks were fine. Still sucks on a 10 hour flight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, midtown said:

I still keep them in my backpack when traveling and carry one when out in the bigger cities. If someone has a sign up (which I’ve still seen in Chicago and NYC recently), I’m fine being the guy that puts one on when asked.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Brew said:

I still keep them in my backpack when traveling and carry one when out in the bigger cities. If someone has a sign up (which I’ve still seen in Chicago and NYC recently), I’m fine being the guy that puts one on when asked.

At this point I don't carry masks with me anymore.  If someone wants me to wear a mask inside their business, they'll need to provide it.  But I'm fine with going elsewhere, too.  I'm not trying to make some belligerent point, I just don't ever think to carry a mask.

Anyway in New Orleans there were no mask requirements.  The airport intercom and video messages encouraged wearing masks, but it wasn't required.  I'd say maybe 1 in 25 people in the airport were wearing masks, and probably the same out and about the city.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:14 PM, 4th&Five said:

Anyone flown on Lufthansa lately? I just checked in for my flight to Frankfurt from AUS tomorrow and it said they still require an N95. I’m wondering if this is actually the case. 

On 7/7/2022 at 7:36 PM, midtown said:

On 7/7/2022 at 7:38 PM, Chewbacca said:

I mean, it's been 2 months, but when I flew AA to Toronto, we had to wear masks from the Charlotte -> Toronto leg.  And all through the Toronto airport.  Also had to wear them from Toronto -> Charlotte, but they kinda relaxed after we left Canadian airspace. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

We haven't had mask mandates anywhere in CO in months that I'm aware of.

Not sure when they changed, but Pitkin County had mask mandates in late January 2022 when we were skiing.  Many restaurants even required proof of vaccination before we would be seated.  We didn't see many masks last week--I noticed a few at the food market, and no one asked to see proof of vaccination.  

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Not sure when they changed, but Pitkin County had mask mandates in late January 2022 when we were skiing.  Many restaurants even required proof of vaccination before we would be seated.  We didn't see many masks last week--I noticed a few at the food market, and no one asked to see proof of vaccination.  

That was 6 months ago, no?  

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That was my point as well.  It's been 5 months.  That's months.  Not sure what nit you're trying to pick here.

Yeah, weird hill to die on that something had a mask mandate 5 months ago?  Relevance to today is...........

Flew Air Dolomiti yesterday which is owned by Lufthansa and they required masks.  Part of the rule has to do with German law and I believe Italian law requires it on public transportation.  I wore a KN95... honestly didn't bother me much.  I was more bothered by the guy sitting diagonally from my wife who coughed most of the 11 hour flight from Munich while wearing his mask on his chin.

So... based on very recent experience...

Italian airports handling things relatively well right now since the govt propped them up and they didn't lose as much airport staff

Munich apparently runs better than Frankfurt.  We didn't have many issues other than some reasonable delays and the upside of Munich is they don't make you go back through security if you connect through.  Frankfurt makes you go through another security check and is generally not as well laid out.

Smaller airports seems to be weathering the storm.  Bologna, where we fly in and out, has 14 gates... while the airport is in general a cluster, it was not the same kind of cluster as most other European airports.  Friend who is a pilot with RyanAir in Poland told me that smaller airports are doing OK.  Its big massive hubs that are taking a beating with LHR and AMS leading the charge.

We got lucky - not lost bags.  We only checked one on the way there (packed all of our clothes in roller bags) and then checked four on the way back since we had a bunch of wine and we just didn't care as much.  Had a Tile on one bag and it allowed us to see where the bags were located.  United's app is also good about showing you where the bags are in the journey.  

Our rental car was expensive but it was there so I can't complain.  We drove a lot but maybe used up just barely over a tank of gas.  At $8.00/gallon of diesel, having a car that sipped rather than glugged was helpful.  

We were in areas frequented primarily by Italians and heard maybe a dozen Americans total... otherwise some Germans and other northern Europeans.  We were outside 95% of the time so I think we missed Covid but we have plenty of friends who caught it in the past few weeks while in Europe.

All in all, we were super lucky and I should go play the lottery.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last weekend's trip to New Orleans was my first air travel since 2019 and given all the horror stories I'd heard about the Austin airport recently, I was expecting and prepared for the worst. We got to each airport 3 hours before our flights, and I had plenty of money to buy booze and self-medicate at airport bars if necessary.

But the entire trip was actually super-easy.  Security lines at Bergstrom were pretty short and moved quickly, same thing for returning through New Orleans, all flights arrived and departed on time.  Really a model experience, couldn't be happier.

For any of you going to Canada.   Canada bringing back random mandatory covid inbound testing.   With 10 day quarantine.  LOL

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022/07/19/canada-sparks-airline-fury-by-bringing-back-mandatory-random-covid-testing-for-air-travellers/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by midtown

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

For any of you going to Canada.   Canada bringing back random mandatory covid inbound testing.   With 10 day quarantine.  LOL

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022/07/19/canada-sparks-airline-fury-by-bringing-back-mandatory-random-covid-testing-for-air-travellers/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=twitter

Holy shit, I'm glad we snuck in there when we did.  Between this and Air Canada seemingly getting worse by the day, I would avoid Canadian travel at all costs right now.

You only quarantine if you test positive though. 

I was chosen for random testing in Toronto back in May (flew in on a Wednesday, flew out on a Monday) - I got my result back as I was going to get my COVID test for U.S. return travel on Sunday, lol.  (Negative, luckily)

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You only quarantine if you test positive though. 

True.  But imagine taking your family to Canada and spending the entire trip in a hotel.   Just like the good ole days of 2021.   Best bet is to get tested before you even go.

9 minutes ago, midtown said:

True.  But imagine taking your family to Canada and spending the entire trip in a hotel.   Just like the good ole days of 2021.   Best bet is to get tested before you even go.

Pretty much your best bet, period.