Hi Fi and Home theater set ups

coolsax

On 5/3/2023 at 11:36 AM, Paul Wesley said:

White guy stages of middle age:

1.  "Honey, this World War Two documentary is really interesting!"

2.  "I should get a tube power amp and some vintage floor speakers, and hook up that old turntable that belonged to my father."  <--- I am here

3.  "Get off my lawn!"

Just couldn’t help yourself.

lulz

• Haha 1

For somebody looking to upgrade their home system (for LPs and streaming, almost exclusively), can anyone recommend a store in the Dallas area?  Is my first real experience into the hi-fi world.   I've been to Audio Concepts, which is very cool but feel like budget needs to be about $100k there, so looking for anything else that's between A.C. and Best Buy.  Thanks in advance. 

On 11/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, Teebox said:

For somebody looking to upgrade their home system (for LPs and streaming, almost exclusively), can anyone recommend a store in the Dallas area?  Is my first real experience into the hi-fi world.   I've been to Audio Concepts, which is very cool but feel like budget needs to be about $100k there, so looking for anything else that's between A.C. and Best Buy.  Thanks in advance. 

Sounds like you need the TK421 from Buck's.  

But in all honesty, I'd spend some time on Audiokarma or a similar forum.  Find out what you're looking for, and, then, see where there is a Dallas area dealer for it.  

I found this on another forum.  It's from 2007.  So half of them are probably shut down.  But it's a where-to-listen to gear ask for Dallas.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/where-go-listen-audio-gear-dallas-tx-1

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Sounds like you need the TK421 from Buck's.  

But in all honesty, I'd spend some time on Audiokarma or a similar forum.  Find out what you're looking for, and, then, see where there is a Dallas area dealer for it.  

I found this on another forum.  It's from 2007.  So half of them are probably shut down.  But it's a where-to-listen to gear ask for Dallas.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/where-go-listen-audio-gear-dallas-tx-1

IMG_6957.gif.630edf7dc006ae63e1808e1d9428ed16.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I'm in the middle of remodeling my living room. I'm down to working out the audio, and trying to figure out how to best accomplish what I'm after. Not going for perfect, just need something nice enough. For a quick overview, I'm going from a 75" Samsung with a Q60T soundbar/"sub"/(2)surround, to a 120" projector with something new for the audio.

Looking in the $2k-ish range, overall. The bar I have now sounds alright, but the bass is lacking and you can tell it's a $400 soundbar vice more of a flagship-level model. So again, looking for something nice, but not audiophile-level scrutiny.

Here's the layout, for reference:

lr-layout.thumb.png.0eb1d3164bbe25f9e5ff951091df2eae.png

Options so far:

1) Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 Ultra EARC (Bar/(2)10" Subs/(2)Surround/(2)Rear)
2) Samsung Q990C (Bar/Sub/(2)Surrounds)
3) Klipsch Flexus Core 200 (With added sub/(2)surround)

Then I got to thinking that maybe I could pull off an a/v receiver setup instead of a soundbar. Which is where I start to glaze over a bit, just from all the options available and not really knowing what is and isn't worth a shit. Video processing isn't really a needed thing, plenty of inputs on the projector. It might be useful down the road. This would increase the cost a bit, but I could also piecemeal the pieces together while using some stuff I have on-hand in the interim. (I have a good klipsch sub, and (4) so-so surrounds, and a meh center.) I could start out with a good center, maybe a pair of floors for front left/right. Then use the sub and 2 surrounds I already have to start.

Now in the image, the only issue I have is how I would do the rear pair. I'm not keen on running wires, and doing something "permanent" like that. Surely there would be a way to run a wireless transmitter for those?

I think my end goal would be a floor speaker on the left and right of the screen, up-firing speaker on top of each floor, a center channel, sub (maybe 2), then a pair of surround, and a pair of rears. Klipsch seems to have a good offering, and a good place to start.

However, if using a transmitter isn't an option (and some type of amp for each speaker, I'm assuming) then I'll just go soundbar and work with that one way or another.

So I guess the tl;dr of it all is this: Is there a way to have wireless rear speakers (up to 4) with an a/v receiver setup?

Edited by thunderlounge

25 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

So I'm in the middle of remodeling my living room. I'm down to working out the audio, and trying to figure out how to best accomplish what I'm after. Not going for perfect, just need something nice enough. For a quick overview, I'm going from a 75" Samsung with a Q60T soundbar/"sub"/(2)surround, to a 120" projector with something new for the audio.

Looking in the $2k-ish range, overall. The bar I have now sounds alright, but the bass is lacking and you can tell it's a $400 soundbar vice more of a flagship-level model. So again, looking for something nice, but not audiophile-level scrutiny.

Options so far:

Then I got to thinking that maybe I could pull off an a/v receiver setup instead of a soundbar. Which is where I start to glaze over a bit, just from all the options available and not really knowing what is and isn't worth a shit. Video processing isn't really a needed thing, plenty of inputs on the projector. It might be useful down the road. This would increase the cost a bit, but I could also piecemeal the pieces together while using some stuff I have on-hand in the interim. (I have a good klipsch sub, and (4) so-so surrounds, and a meh center.) I could start out with a good center, maybe a pair of floors for front left/right. Then use the sub and 2 surrounds I already have to start.

Now in the image, the only issue I have is how I would do the rear pair. I'm not keen on running wires, and doing something "permanent" like that. Surely there would be a way to run a wireless transmitter for those?

I think my end goal would be a floor speaker on the left and right of the screen, up-firing speaker on top of each floor, a center channel, sub (maybe 2), then a pair of surround, and a pair of rears. Klipsch seems to have a good offering, and a good place to start.

However, if using a transmitter isn't an option (and some type of amp for each speaker, I'm assuming) then I'll just go soundbar and work with that one way or another.

So I guess the tl;dr of it all is this: Is there a way to have wireless rear speakers (up to 4) with an a/v receiver setup?

I have a 990C for 860 bucks. it’s fucking great 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Nakamichi dragon is tits, but 4k

Exactly. It's $4k. While damn good, that's really more than what I want to spend on this. And I honestly don't see the value in the price difference for what I'm after. This is my "temporary" media room, until I build and move in a few years. At that point, I'll be running speaker and cat6 wire everywhere, and will have budgeted for a bigger/better setup. This setup will probably end up in my bedroom at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got sick of all the non stop upgrades and expense. Basically non stop electronic warfare

Went back to the cave - have the GF pantomime scenes against the far living room wall - dimly backlit by an open fire - while I just bongo out the basic rhythms of whatever we want to play.

Makes it all come to life in a new way.

Jungian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Options so far:

My experience with any of the wireless rears has always been very inconsistent.

1) the speakers you’re getting with a surround bar setup are not great quality

2) power is still a problem unless they have some good amps built in.

3) I would rather spend more on the front 3 and just not have the surrounds because of the aforementioned probs.

My current setup is a 3.1.2. DefTech ST-L fronts and mythos10 center. I have no desire or need to add surrounds until I can wire for them.

If you have any interest and are in the Austin area, I have a dead mint Quad LCR sound bar I want to move.  I have never unpacked it, but I am the second owner.  It was sold to me as unused.  I just never got around to putting it into my living room TV setup.  $250, full refund if unhappy for any reason.  Reviews are off the charts (as they are for all Quad speakers, whether electrostatics or dynamics (like the LCR)).  I've owned more than one stereo pair of Quad dynamics and even helped a surly get a pair new -- they are fantastic, musical products.  Glorious British sound.

This isn't mine, I haven't unboxed it, but this is the exact model (~ 41" long):

image.png.db0c4287c2dcba3dade9cf7af03cfb4e.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you have any interest and are in the Austin area, I have a dead mint Quad LCR sound bar I want to move.  I have never unpacked it, but I am the second owner.  It was sold to me as unused.  I just never got around to putting it into my living room TV setup.  $250, full refund if unhappy for any reason.  Reviews are off the charts (as they are for all Quad speakers, whether electrostatics or dynamics (like the LCR)).  I've owned more than one stereo pair of Quad dynamics and even helped a surly get a pair new -- they are fantastic, musical products.  Glorious British sound.

This isn't mine, I haven't unboxed it, but this is the exact model (~ 41" long):

image.png.db0c4287c2dcba3dade9cf7af03cfb4e.png

@jimmyjazz what does that weigh? Like does it require a shelf you think or can it be flush without reducing quality?

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

@jimmyjazz what does that weigh? Like does it require a shelf you think or can it be flush without reducing quality?

One of the reviews mentions massive keyholes.  Weight is ~ 21 lbs, so I'd think it would be easy to wall-mount.

Quad surround system

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks Imma, jimmy, for your offers. I'm not local, so probably not going to work for me. Somebody won't pass it up though.

SVS has a wireless adapter that is well reviewed, which is a start. A decent pair of powered speakers, or a small amp and passive ones, could potentially work.

I'll most likely end up in the soundbar realm for now, but maybe not if I can find a decent receiver.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Thanks Imma, jimmy, for your offers. I'm not local, so probably not going to work for me. Somebody won't pass it up though.

SVS has a wireless adapter that is well reviewed, which is a start. A decent pair of powered speakers, or a small amp and passive ones, could potentially work.

I'll most likely end up in the soundbar realm for now, but maybe not if I can find a decent receiver.

No worries, best of luck in the search.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No worries, best of luck in the search.

Thanks. It's been a longer than should have been project, and still a few weeks to go. This is semi last minute in terms of the big picture. At least I have some good options. Really helps when you just need pretty good, and not searching for perfection.

Preface: I don't know anything about any of this shit.

My 20 year-old Onkyo receiver crapped out on me a few days ago. Started randomly turning off, and now it won't turn back on. I doubt repair is an option. I have the two front speakers, two back speakers, and monster subwoofer setup deal. @jimmyjazz would your magic sound bar be a sufficient replacement for a surround sound system like that? I am also more than content with "pretty good". 

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Preface: I don't know anything about any of this shit.

My 20 year-old Onkyo receiver crapped out on me a few days ago. Started randomly turning off, and now it won't turn back on. I doubt repair is an option. I have the two front speakers, two back speakers, and monster subwoofer setup deal. @jimmyjazz would your magic sound bar be a sufficient replacement for a surround sound system like that? I am also more than content with "pretty good". 

Well, no.  Yours (apparently lacks) a center channel, whereas mine would just replace front left, center, and front right.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Where are you send me a DM. I’m just returning it if no one wants it would rather it go to someone for such a good deal cuz I think they are just gonna trash it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, haven't heard the name Nakamichi in years. 

Probably because the Nakamichi brand was purchased by a chinese holding company in 1998 and the components/quality you remember from the 80s/90s have nothing in common with the stuff they put out these days.

I bought a Nakamichi car head unit from Walmart around 2010 and I couldn't believe I scored it on a crazy sale for only $150. It was pure garbage; several of the buttons stuck and one of the channels stopped working after a few months. I eventually tossed it. I would have been better off buying a shitty $50 BOSS head unit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, no.  Yours (apparently lacks) a center channel, whereas mine would just replace front left, center, and front right.

Dumb question

Can a sound bar replace a center speaker? I have 9.1 speaker setup. Center channel is meh. Would a nice quality soundbar work/integrate in surround sound mode?

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Dumb question

Can a sound bar replace a center speaker? I have 9.1 speaker setup. Center channel is meh. Would a nice quality soundbar work/integrate in surround sound mode?

Well, I'm no HT guru, but I would think even if you could somehow sum the L/C/R speakers in the bar in just a mono "C" mode it would be suboptimal because it would be so spread out (physically).

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Dumb question

They’re two separate systems, so not really. Not saying it’s impossible, but really not worth the effort to tear up a soundbar.

A decent soundbar will run you as much or more than a decent center. Just get a new center.

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-center

or

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-404c-ii-center-channel-speaker

Those two are good and won’t break the bank. 

What’s available from your speaker brand? That may be a better fit too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My friend's soundbar is total shit, can't hear dialogue. Wish I could replace it with something. Soundbars in general are shit for a big tv. There's not much room there for receiver with external speakers, so might just look for a bigger decent soundbar that won't be a waste of money. Not many people really understand how those things work.

I had an older heavy 50 inch dumb TV with big speakers in the front, like God intended, stashed away for the game room. But it got donated to the poors behind my back. Great picture, sounded damn good with no attachments and didn't have to fudge with streaming shit. Pissed me off bigtime.

Center speakers are the most misunderstood of almost every setup, and almost always too small for the job when packaged in a set, though it's the most important part of a surround system. Tough to get the adequate volume and tone in your dialogue with little tinny speakers. I have wired two 8 or 10-inch stereo speakers together for that function with a decent degree of success, far better sound, but it takes up more space. These days I prefer to just use two big external speakers without a surround system and just run it stereo or virtual surround and they sound great.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would definitely try to match the center to the L/R main speakers.  That's far more important than matching the satellites.

Timbre matching for a center is vastly overrated/overstated. 

What he needs is a true three-way center. The vast majority are 2-way. Decent ones can be had for 500-1000. This will clear up any dialogue issues, especially if he has room correction available. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, DougO said:

My friend's soundbar is total shit, can't hear dialogue. Wish I could replace it with something. Soundbars in general are shit for a big tv. There's not much room there for receiver with external speakers, so might just look for a bigger decent soundbar that won't be a waste of money. Not many people really understand how those things work.

I had an older heavy 50 inch dumb TV with big speakers in the front, like God intended, stashed away for the game room. But it got donated to the poors behind my back. Great picture, sounded damn good with no attachments and didn't have to fudge with streaming shit. Pissed me off bigtime.

I’m trying to settle on a sound bar for a secondary tv that I just want to sound better than the tv speakers.  Not wanting to spend a lot because I have a nice set up on the main tv. 
I know they are crap especially in the price range I’m looking at but can’t arrive on a general consensus as to what is a decent basic unit. 

10 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m trying to settle on a sound bar for a secondary tv that I just want to sound better than the tv speakers.  Not wanting to spend a lot because I have a nice set up on the main tv. 
I know they are crap especially in the price range I’m looking at but can’t arrive on a general consensus as to what is a decent basic unit. 

I'm pretty happy with the Denon I got in the less than $200 price range for just that purpose. No issues with dialogue. External sub connection, too. 

Denon DHT-S216 Home Theater Soundbar, Virtual Surround Sound, HDMI ARC, HD, 4K & Bluetooth Compatible, Low-Profile Design, Crystal Clear Dialogue

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendhts216/denon-dht-s216-sound-bar-dts-virtual-x-and-bluetooth/1.html

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

Where is it located?

I have an older Vizio bar/sub setup in my bedroom and it does fine for that. The Q60 I have in my living room (that I'm upgrading) would also be fine. That is probably where I move my TV/soundbar from the LR, and move the BR setup to the spare room.

For a budget type pick, I'd look at any of these:

- Samsung HW-B650
- Samsung Q60C
- Vizio 2.1
- Vizio 5.1

Not going to break the bank, and dialog will be fine (not an 11, but respectable at least). You won't rumble the house, but that's not what you seem to be after.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:53 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Are those the "digital" Meridians?

On 2/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, VABuckeye said:

They should be.  I wonder what Meridian gear is driving them.  I know they have internal amps.

Yes, they're digital only. Everything from the DAC to the amps is inside the box.

And you CAN spend an arm and a leg on Meridian-branded equipment, which... if you know anything about digital... is a complete waste of money.

Your connections are: S/PDIF coax (RCA) and 5-pin DIN for control. And your standard power cable that roughly every piece of high-wattage electronics has shipped with since 1991. So we have a $99 Blu-Ray player and a Chromecast going into a Monoprice switch for the source, and a cheap no-name 5-pin DIN cable for the control.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:57 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Man, haven't heard the name Nakamichi in years. 

Same. My parents had some of the first Lexus cars made with those premium Nakamichi soundsystems. They sounded amazing, and broke after two years. Dad actually replaced one... and that one broke after 2 years, too.

In other news, I replaced my computer audio interface. I'd been using a Presonus Audiobox 96 with an ancient Roland MX-5 mixer as volume/preamp. Replaced BOTH with the brand new Focusrite 4i4 (4th gen) and whoa Nelly I did NOT expect the preamps - both for the speakers and for the headphones - to be such a noticable upgrade over what the Presonus and Roland had. (The Roland's were just fine when it was new, but the fucker is 35 years old.)

16 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Where is it located?

I have an older Vizio bar/sub setup in my bedroom and it does fine for that. The Q60 I have in my living room (that I'm upgrading) would also be fine. That is probably where I move my TV/soundbar from the LR, and move the BR setup to the spare room.

For a budget type pick, I'd look at any of these:

- Samsung HW-B650
- Samsung Q60C
- Vizio 2.1
- Vizio 5.1

Not going to break the bank, and dialog will be fine (not an 11, but respectable at least). You won't rumble the house, but that's not what you seem to be after.

It’s my home office. Thanks for the suggestions!

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.e537f1039e46765604cd13b651af3819.jpeg

So I’m having a small realization, an epiphany, if you will.

I have my subfloor exposed right now, and with additional osb going over it to raise it even with the rest.

I may be able make a track or some sort to the couple of spots I can’t easily get cables to. Have to think it through, but might be an option.

13 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Probably because the Nakamichi brand was purchased by a chinese holding company in 1998 and the components/quality you remember from the 80s/90s have nothing in common with the stuff they put out these days.

I bought a Nakamichi car head unit from Walmart around 2010 and I couldn't believe I scored it on a crazy sale for only $150. It was pure garbage; several of the buttons stuck and one of the channels stopped working after a few months. I eventually tossed it. I would have been better off buying a shitty $50 BOSS head unit. 

So, not much difference from the stuff in the 80's, then...

😉

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, the Nakamichi tape decks were legit.  By the time they got to the Dragon it was a little nuts, though.

I still have a fantastic Sony. If only I had a tape collection to listen to. Fucker's pristine and top notch, if a little dusty right now.