2018 Body Transformation Thread

19 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Didn't even know this board existed! I'm currently about 293, 5'11". When I was "thin" I was about 200. I would love to feel what 220 feels like, again. I went keto about 5 mos ago and found it very easy to get into ketosis. I lost about 15 lbs in 2 weeks. I have put half that back on.  The way smokers smoke, or alcoholics drink, I eat. Stressed or fatigued, I over eat. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I eat too much. I'm sure there are others here that do the same. 

I like the idea of fasting. Those of you who have had success with it, how did you start? How long were your first attempts? Did you do the 1 reasonable meal and nothing else thing, or go completely without when you started? 

I would like to hear from people who have felt like it was just impossible but then had success. I've started so many times only to get back to where I started, and it's time, now. I'm really tired of my weight effecting how I live.

Start fasting with 16/8 (full disclosure:  futureman does not believe it is actually fasting).  Eat between Noon and 8:00 pm and then nothing until the next day at Noon.  If you do this along with keto, you won't have any problem.  You are essentially cutting out one meal and potentially one or more snacks per day.

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Start fasting with 16/8 (full disclosure:  futureman does not believe it is actually fasting).  Eat between Noon and 8:00 pm and then nothing until the next day at Noon.  If you do this along with keto, you won't have any problem.  You are essentially cutting out one meal and potentially one or more snacks per day.

It's called lazy fasting.

7 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

So fasting update.  Hit 60lbs lost this morning on the scale since March 1st.   Started fasting on March 18th and have lost 42.   Should lose 10-12 before heading to mexico mid May. 

Will be under 200 by end of July for the first time since college.  

I think i have eaten 6 days since March 18th.   Usually 2 meals on the day, but very keto friendly except one where i kinda went off the rails - took me 4 days to get back below my starting weight on that mess up.  

Impressive. You catching up to me and my two month head start. I'm down 84 as of this AM. Next meal is planned for Saturday. 

Bernard

This morning: 292. Fought with the wife who says I just need to eat less and exercise more. She's partially correct, but then wonders why she is improving her tone but not losing weight despite the 3 mile a day walking habit, as she drinks a Dr. Pepper. It will be difficult to get the carbs all the way down and stay married to a carboholic,  but I can knock a lot of them out. I also have to resist the urge to become openly obsessed with it, as I think that's what she gets tired of, and I get that.So I'll be covertly obsessed. Also, got to get more active.

Edited by 1leggedduck

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

This morning: 292. Fought with the wife who says I just need to eat less and exercise more. She's partially correct, but then wonders why she is improving her tone but not losing weight despite the 3 mile a day walking habit, as she drinks a Dr. Pepper. It will be difficult to get the carbs all the way down and stay married to a carboholic,  but I can knock a lot of them out. I also have to resist the urge to become openly obsessed with it, as I think that's what she gets tired of, and I get that.So I'll be covertly obsessed. Also, got to get more active.

I've cut most carbs out and still make dinner for the rest of the family - pasta, tortillas, rice, bread, etc.   Once the carbs and the associated cravings are out of my system, I do not have any serious issues with being around them and not indulging.

I'm genuinely curious why people choose a diet (long term) that requires supplementation like Keto with electrolytes. Why is this considered the perfect diet according to many on this board if your body is saying that it needs more to properly function? I get it for losing a shit ton of pounds quickly and commend BearSchlong for his commitment and results, but I got the same results while eating ~100-150g of carbs a day. Anyone have any good peer reviewed sources for or against? I love nutrition and the arguments around it.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Probably missed it, but what is the best way to substitute for missing electrolytes on keto? Have read Powerade zero helps, any other suggestions? 

I drink broth for sodium in the morning and take magnesium supplements occasionally. Two bouillion cubes in about 20oz of warm water will stock you up with salt. Be careful with this though because it can also force a super strong BM since it is basically a saltwater cleanse.

45 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm genuinely curious why people choose a diet (long term) that requires supplementation like Keto with electrolytes. Why is this considered the perfect diet according to many on this board if your body is saying that it needs more to properly function? I get it for losing a shit ton of pounds quickly and commend BearSchlong for his commitment and results, but I got the same results while eating ~100-150g of carbs a day. Anyone have any good peer reviewed sources for or against? I love nutrition and the arguments around it.

I have found hunger management to be exponentially easier to deal with by eliminating the carbs. In the past when I've been losing weight I have always had issues being hungry by simply restricting calories. Getting more from fats keeps me more satiated and thus more likely to stick with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've never had the Keto flu.  I've never had any broth since I've been on the diet.  I'll have Powerade Zero from time to time, but moreso because I want water with some flavor, not because I'm craving electrolytes.  I haven't had any cramps while on Keto.  I take supplements very sporadically.

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

I've never had the Keto flu.  I've never had any broth since I've been on the diet.  I'll have Powerade Zero from time to time, but moreso because I want water with some flavor, not because I'm craving electrolytes.  I haven't had any cramps while on Keto.  I take supplements very sporadically.

Good stuff. I lost my weight (wasn't a lot, 30ish lbs) gradually and Keto certainly seems good at losing weight quickly. I'm just wonder how sustainable it is for most people and it's health benefits long term. BearSchlong obviously keeps rocking it and from what I remember his blood work looks really solid, but are most ketoers looking to stay on it after the weight loss or is that a we'll get there when we get there thing?

Edited by SimonBolivar

Anybody else have constipation issues?  I am down almost 30 lbs since Jan 6, strictly through reduced calorie intake and significant uptick in exercise.  Have stalled out though, struggling to drop more than 1 lb/week with the same approach.  But I have also really struggled to shit.  I have resorted to regular intake of Miralax, with some Dulcolax, and I still go a day or two with no shits.  Before I would shit 2-3 times before noon no problem.  I feel like I have 10 lbs of shit stuffed inside me that won't come out.  Don't want to overdo the laxatives and end up shitting myself unexpectedly.  Already made one shart thread entry for this very reason.

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Good stuff. I lost my weight (wasn't a lot, 30ish lbs) gradually and Keto certainly seems good at losing weight quickly. I'm just wonder how sustainable it is for most people and it's health benefits long term. BearSchlong obviously keeps rocking it and from what I remember his blood work looks really solid, but are most ketoers looking to stay on it after the weight loss or is that a we'll get there when we get there thing?

I'm looking at staying on it long term if I can build the will power.  There's no reason not to.  Our bodies don't need carbs. 

Why do our bodies store fat, but store very little glycogen?  I believe we're built to burn fat, not sugar. 

But everyone is different, and Keto is not the only way to lose weight and keep it off. I know my body and I know sugar has a big effect on my insulin resistance, thyroid function, and other things. 

19 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hell no, I can't wait to not be doing keto ever again. Or at least not until I gain 5 pounds and need it to get back to where I want to be

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Anybody else have constipation issues?  I am down almost 30 lbs since Jan 6, strictly through reduced calorie intake and significant uptick in exercise.  Have stalled out though, struggling to drop more than 1 lb/week with the same approach.  But I have also really struggled to shit.  I have resorted to regular intake of Miralax, with some Dulcolax, and I still go a day or two with no shits.  Before I would shit 2-3 times before noon no problem.  I feel like I have 10 lbs of shit stuffed inside me that won't come out.  Don't want to overdo the laxatives and end up shitting myself unexpectedly.  Already made one shart thread entry for this very reason.

Beans man beans. 

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

What are your natural fiber sources?  I'm on what I guess you would call a lazy keto diet -- super high-fat, but higher protein and a bit more carbs than strict keto.  I eat a lot of avocado, spinach, broccoli, and some psyllium husk capsules, along with oatmeal a few times a week on heavy workout days, and I've never been more regular in my life.  At about the second sip of my morning butter coffee I'm ready to make my daily deposit. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

^^coffee.  I eat a bowl of cereal every morning, and some salad variant midday.  Dinner is whatever.  Salad isn't the roughage I thought it was.

Did you eat nuts (nohomo)? They're a good source of fiber, fat and protein. Eat a couple handfuls of almonds or walnuts throughout the day.

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

Did you eat nuts (nohomo)? They're a good source of fiber, fat and protein. Eat a couple handfuls of almonds or walnuts throughout the day.

I was about to recommend this. Wife gets a big tub of mixed nuts from Costco. Walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazilian nuts. I snack on those in the evenings. Helps with fiber that I’m missing from bread.

197.6 this morning. I guess my new goal will be 190. Celebrating with some BBQ for lunch.

I don’t think I’ve said it on the new site here but I’ve been on the DASH diet since September. Basically it’s low sodium. It has been much easier and I’ve had better results than I ever did with low carb. More importantly my blood pressure is back in a healthy range, which is why my doctor put me on it in the first place. 

I started at 250. 

• Like 1

i haven't had a shit in a week - of course i haven't eaten in 9 days - i wouldn't call it constipation, just nothing to release.

Eating today -  chicken fajita salad with quac.     maybe non-breaded hotwings tonight - haven't decided.  

Then nothing again till Monday May 7th.

But back to shits.    I have learned - if you think it is a fart, you better be damn sure, or you will shit yourself for sure.

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Read something that said constipation is defined by fewer than 3 shits per week.  Wut?  If I don’t shit every day, and lately I haven’t been, I feel very off kilter.  When I was eating more, 3shits per day was SOP.

Shit, I've had constipation for most of my adult life then. 

I went keto back around the 3rd week of January so it's been roughly 14 weeks now and I'm down ~13 lbs. I wish I was able to report the drastic weight losses that I see some of you guys reporting but it just hasn't happened that way for me. I figure that if I keep this up over the course of a year I'll lose roughly 45-50 lbs and that will be a miracle but sheesh, it sure is slow.

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I went keto back around the 3rd week of January so it's been roughly 14 weeks now and I'm down ~13 lbs. I wish I was able to report the drastic weight losses that I see some of you guys reporting but it just hasn't happened that way for me. I figure that if I keep this up over the course of a year I'll lose roughly 45-50 lbs and that will be a miracle but sheesh, it sure is slow.

you’re not adhering strictly enough to the program.  

the program is sound.  the program is rock solid.  

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Meh. I cut out carbs and I'm living on veggies and protein and fat. Maybe not in the right ratio?

I don’t know what you’re doing or where you’re cutting corners or where you’re getting your hidden carbs.  but nobody does this right and loses 13 lbs in 14 weeks.  you’re fucking something up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Meh. I cut out carbs and I'm living on veggies and protein and fat. Maybe not in the right ratio?

You've posted about cheating before. Each time you do, you have to restart.  I can't tell if you've stuck with it long enough to become fat-adapted. I'm guessing not.

How much do you weigh? I'm fairly certain you don't weigh as much as I do. That's part of it. Bigger you are, faster you can lose on a strict diet.

As for ratios, I don't adhere to them.  I concentrate on avoiding carbs. The rest is whatever I want. I don't care about the ratio right now.  I eat protein and fat. Some veggies here and there. Probably not enough. But I'm losing. I've been going since almost the same time as you and have lost 55+. 

I've been very strict with carbs that entire time.  The only times I've "cheated" is when I eat 3 or 4 tortilla chips at a restaurant, or stupidly had 5 Ricola cough drops.

8 minutes ago, Player said:

You been eating those Girl Scout cookies again, diablo? Ditch the sugar. 

he’s addicted to those cookies.  six months ago he was four of them for breakfast and chasing it with a ring-ding.  and two butterfingers on the train!  sound familiar??  remember that night I found him at dinky donuts?  he was all hopped up on cinnamon swirls!  they wouldn’t serve him anymore.  he wouldn’t even have teeth if it wasn’t for me taking him over to joe’s fruit stand and stuffing a cantaloupe down his throat.  so much for gratitude...

Here's what I've been eating:

Breakfast (if you want to call it that) black coffee with heavy cream and a small pat of butter. Maybe one to two hard boiled eggs or a tin of sardines in soybean oil with the oil drained off.

Lunch: Iceberg lettuce salad, I don't know how much but a pretty good bit, a couple of cups maybe? 3? I don't know. Regular ranch dressing and sunflower seeds and bacos. Maybe a hard boiled egg or two.

Dinner: Slow cooked chicken thighs or pork butt, maybe some cottage cheese, maybe some pork rinds, maybe just sardines. Maybe just some slices of cheddar cheese. 

I'm a creature of habit and it's easy for me to eat the same thing over and over. I haven't deviated from what I just listed except for the 2-3 times that I've posted on here that I've done so.

So some girl scout cookies one time, a fried fish and shrimp dinner one time and a roll or Smartees once or twice.

I guess it could be the salad toppings that have more carbs than I realized. I haven't had a potato, bread, pasta, cracker, nada since late January. 

I do drink a LOT of Diet Coke. I asked once before if that would have any impact on ketosis but didn't get a reply. My guess is that it does not.

I'm not real concerned about it. I'm losing weight in a very manageable way and it's been continuous. I'm almost 60 years old too so my body doesn't act like it did when I was younger. I lost 35 lbs in 45 days 20 years ago but I craved carbs like a mofo. Now I don't which is why I have no problem eating the way I've been eating and continuing to slowly but surely lose weight.