So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

You know, all this over a one time $2000 check is ludicrous in face of what we are facing.  There should be talk of (in no specific order):

1) eviction protection,

2) hazard duty pay and health care funds to help said responders when they fall ill, (like Covid AFLAC)

3) laws to hold corps accountable for how they manage employees,

4) help to the states and cities in funds to be used for managing Covid related issues, like hospitals, housing, food banks, and vaccine distribution.

5) setting a workable plan for unemployment aid to help those truly affected.

6) establishing guidelines for managing these programs in an ethical way to minimize grift.

But no, it's been reduced to basically an extra $1400.  All the other shit the Rs have pared from the CARES act (like reducing unemployment aid) has been naturalized and accepted.   Damn Dems need to pull some of that campaign TV ads from GA and start blasting this stuff nationwide.  "Look what these fuckers haven't done!  Look what they've already taken from you!  Don't fall for some patronizing payoff to make themselves look like saints and your Dems look heartless.  You should know better.  Wake up, Be an American and pay attention to what's going on!"

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

I've heard 'concerns' that $2k would cost $454B. Meanwhile, the approved defense budget is around $61.5B a month. 

Priorities. We has them. 

To be fair, I'm sure some are reluctant to support the $2k as a part of a defense strategy. 

"Let's make sure that no one would ever want to immigrate here or attack the country by screwing this up so terribly" 

i am the smart GIF by myLAB Box

Edited by NWBuck

21 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

But no, it's been reduced to basically an extra $1400.  All the other shit the Rs have pared from the CARES act (like reducing unemployment aid) has been naturalized and accepted. 

Great post.  The Rs have done a fantastic job at fucking over the poor and middle-class while making sure their donors and lobbyists are taken care.   I think Mitch overstepped his bounds here a bit - with everything reduced to that $1,400, the spotlight is much harsher, and people are starting to realize that we are sending hundreds of billions of dollars overseas, while Mitch is balking on helping out the poor/middle-class here at home, the actual taxpayers.

It's fascinating - I don't know what Mitch's end-game here is, but normally he has no problem spending money to help Senators get elected and to help keep his majority and power, but somehow this is the line in the sand for him.   He's getting hammered by leftists, liberals, moderates, Republicans, far right-wingers, etc., as well as the major media outlets across the spectrum from left-to-right, with Trump popping off every few hours on twitter about it.  Loeffler and Perdue are begging him, and plenty of Republican Senators  are giving him cover by saying they'd support it, along with Trump.

It's easy to say that he hates the poor and middle-class, but normally all of his decisions are meant to benefit somebody, whether it's donors or lobbyists or defense contractors or other large corporations.

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Great post.  The Rs have done a fantastic job at fucking over the poor and middle-class while making sure their donors and lobbyists are taken care.   I think Mitch overstepped his bounds here a bit - with everything reduced to that $1,400, the spotlight is much harsher, and people are starting to realize that we are sending hundreds of billions of dollars overseas, while Mitch is balking on helping out the poor/middle-class here at home, the actual taxpayers.

It's fascinating - I don't know what Mitch's end-game here is, but normally he has no problem spending money to help Senators get elected and to help keep his majority and power, but somehow this is the line in the sand for him.   He's getting hammered by leftists, liberals, moderates, Republicans, far right-wingers, etc., as well as the major media outlets across the spectrum from left-to-right, with Trump popping off every few hours on twitter about it.  Loeffler and Perdue are begging him, and plenty of Republican Senators  are giving him cover by saying they'd support it, along with Trump.

It's easy to say that he hates the poor and middle-class, but normally all of his decisions are meant to benefit somebody, whether it's donors or lobbyists or defense contractors or other large corporations.

Yeah I don't get it.  

What's not to get? The end game is to maintain the Senate. Mitch doesn't give a fuck about being the villain. In fact, being the villain allows him to have his cake and eat it too. Perdue and Loeffler both get cover and now can say they supported the 2k measure. It's no wonder they released those tweets in support of the stimulus right before Mitch shot it down in the Senate. 

This shit is game of thrones and nobody plays it better than Mitch.

4 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

What's not to get? The end game is to maintain the Senate. Mitch doesn't give a fuck about being the villain. In fact, being the villain allows him to have his cake and eat it too. Perdue and Loeffler both get cover and now can say they supported the 2k measure. It's no wonder they released those tweets in support of the stimulus right before Mitch shot it down in the Senate. 

Wat?  The whole point is this move might make him LOSE the senate.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wat?  The whole point is this move might make him LOSE the senate.

Mitch knows he's not on the ballot in Georgia. Perdue and Loeffler are and can say “see, we supported the 2k just like Trump” even though they don't want to vote for it.  He's going to reintroduce the bill with repealing section 230 and voter fraud bs. Goal is to force Dems to vote against the bill.

Edited by USMCHorn

12 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

What Biff said.  This could cost Mitch the Senate.  There's already something like 67,000+ votes from new voters in the Georgia runoffs, new meaning they hadn't voted before.   Many people are now under the impression that they would get $2,000 apiece, and the Democrats/House and Trump all want them to have their $2,000 apiece, but Mitch won't give it to them, and Loeffler and Perdue are not getting it done for Georgians.

People aren't stupid - they know if the Dems win Georgia, the Dems will push through plenty of stimulus funding.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Mitch knows he's not on the ballot in Georgia. Perdue and Loeffler are and can say “see, we supported the 2k just like Trump” even though they don't want to vote for it.  He's going to reintroduce the bill with repealing section 230 and voter fraud bs. Goal is to force Dems to vote against the bill.

Loeffler and Perdue are risking pissing off the fiscal conservatives in their base(s), which means their polling shows that the risk is too great  and they have to ignore those fiscal conservatives, and they have to publicly support the stimulus.

And Mitch trying to poison the bill ain't working - everybody, including Trump, OANN, Newsmax, Fox News, is blaming Mitch for this.

But Mitch wants to fuck around and find out what happens when Trump spends the next week bashing Republicans for not giving him his $2,000, and plenty of hurting people are going to be hard-pressed to support a party at the polls that doesn't seem to give a fuck about them when a simple vote would give them some extra help.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Loeffler and Perdue are risking pissing off the fiscal conservatives in their base(s), which means their polling shows that the risk is too great and they have to publicly support the stimulus.

And him trying to poison the bill ain't working - everybody, including Trump, OANN, Newsmax, Fox News, is blaming Mitch for this.

But Mitch wants to fuck around and find out what happens when Trump spends the next week bashing Republicans for not giving him his $2,000.

Trump is in on it. He wants section 230 repealed. He's only been touting the stimulus bs to get the legislation put together. 

Just now, USMCHorn said:

Trump is in on it. He wants section 230 repealed. He's only been touting the stimulus bs to get the legislation put together. 

His #1 priority is to punish Mitch and make Mitch kiss the ring after Mitch publicly betrayed Trump by congratulating Biden.  Sure, he's still pissed about TikTok and that Tulsa rally, and twitter labeling his tweets, but he has found something to dig at Mitch.

Actually, Trump's #1 priority maybe the money - like I and others have said, if Trump can get $1,400 extra in the pockets of his followers, he could pull in an easy $50 - $100 million in donations, if only 5-10 million of his followers toss some bucks his way in gratitude..  It's some of the easiest money he'll get control of with little effort.

And Trump gives no fucks if his going after Mitch and the Republicans costs them the Senate.

A lot of y’all are giving Mitch way more credit than he deserves. He actually sucks ass at a lot of his job (which is why he couldn’t pull off the Obamacare repeal). He was good at keeping the caucus in line when opposing Obama, but that really didn’t take much beyond shamelessness.

He’s not a fucking chess grand master. Hell, he let himself get cornered by a pissed off Donald Trump. He’s trying to walk an incredibly thin tightrope right now and he’s losing his balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

His #1 priority is to punish Mitch and make Mitch kiss the ring after Mitch publicly betrayed Trump by congratulating Biden.  Sure, he's still pissed about TikTok and that Tulsa rally, and twitter labeling his tweets, but he has found something to dig at Mitch.

Actually, Trump's #1 priority maybe the money - like I and others have said, if Trump can get $1,400 extra in the pockets of his followers, he could pull in an easy $50 - $100 million in donations, if only 5-10 million of his followers toss some bucks his way in gratitude..  It's some of the easiest money he'll get control of with little effort.

And Trump gives no fucks if his going after Mitch and the Republicans costs them the Senate.

I don’t think it was even Mitch acknowledging Biden that really passed Trump off. I think Bannon convinced Trump a couple of weeks ago when he went to the White House that Mitch is the reason Trump lost the election (because they refused to pass additional covid relief). Mitch talked Trump into going along with that approach and now Trump thinks he fucked him over, so he’s out for revenge.

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don’t think it was even Mitch acknowledging Biden that really passed Trump off. I think Bannon convinced Trump a couple of weeks ago when he went to the White House that Mitch is the reason Trump lost the election (because they refused to pass additional covid relief). Mitch talked Trump into going along with that approach and now Trump thinks he fucked him over, so he’s out for revenge.

Whatever it takes I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

🤔

Edited by pyrohornIII
it's a tiny ass thinking face
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s easier to understand Mitch’s mendacity than it is to get a sense of why poor Kentuckians continue to uncritically support him. I find it stupefying.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s easier to understand Mitch’s mendacity than it is to get a sense of why poor Kentuckians continue to uncritically support him. I find it stupefying.

Because Kentucky is a deeply Republican state and the Dems haven’t put up a serious opponent against him.

It's kinda funny watching this play out. Obviously Trump's motives are purely selfish here. But it's still like a tiny window into a very remote parallel universe. One where Trump, a chaos agent president, antagonizes both the Democrats and the Republicans and actually exposed some rot and is able to impose his will on the swamp, like he's done to McConnell here.

I think that's the Trump a good portion of Obama->Trump voters were hoping to get in 2016. Obviously they got a narcissistic, incompetent egotist only out to own libs and enrich himself. But for a fleeting moment you can see how a chaos agent that isn't a total piece of shit, maybe someone like Bernie, could bend the swamp to his will from the bully pulpit.

It's a shame that Trump has made rational people so (rightfully) terrified of the "shake things up" candidate that we're probably going to get a decade plus of Joe Biden types.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's kinda funny watching this play out. Obviously Trump's motives are purely selfish here. But it's still like a tiny window into a very remote parallel universe. One where Trump, a chaos agent president, antagonizes both the Democrats and the Republicans and actually exposed some rot and is able to impose his will on the swamp, like he's done to McConnell here.

I think that's the Trump a good portion of Obama->Trump voters were hoping to get in 2016. Obviously they got a narcissistic, incompetent egotist only out to own libs and enrich himself. But for a fleeting moment you can see how a chaos agent that isn't a total piece of shit, maybe someone like Bernie, could bend the swamp to his will from the bully pulpit.

It's a shame that Trump has made rational people so (rightfully) terrified of the "shake things up" candidate that we're probably going to get a decade plus of Joe Biden types.

I think someone who actually wanted to drain the swamp and wasn’t a piece of shit could be a good president (ahem, Warren), but instead these dunderheads elected a carnival barking con man. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

AOC gets it.  Of course she's the only one with any exposure saying what needs to be said.  She needs to go further and explain what makes the bill 'unclean.'

Since the party apparatus as a whole is not going to give her the podium to speak from she just needs to take it from them and keep speaking out. She gets it as a human being and understands what that amount of money means to a family during this time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think someone who actually wanted to drain the swamp and wasn’t a piece of shit could be a good president (ahem, Warren), but instead these dunderheads elected a carnival barking con man. 
Yeah. That's kinda what I meant by the last paragraph. Now a big part of the electorate has battered wife syndrome with Trump having been such a disaster. Which sorta played out with everyone running to the familiar and boring Biden in the primary. Which sucks.

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I generally agree with the they’re not trying hard enough takes, but these are pretty unique circumstances. If Mitch wasn’t penned in by Trump off the leash (“off the leash” meaning his interests and the GOP’s interests no longer being aligned) and the Georgia runoffs, the GOP would just sit back and laugh while people starved and there’d be nothing Bernie could do about it.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I generally agree with the they’re not trying hard enough takes, but these are pretty unique circumstances. If Mitch wasn’t penned in by Trump off the leash (“off the leash” meaning his interests and the GOP’s interests no longer being aligned) and the Georgia runoffs, the GOP would just sit back and laugh while people starved and there’d be nothing Bernie could do about it.

Well said.  Yes, the Dems deserve criticism, but that tweet is not fucking helpful.  While the Ds may be dipshits, to make them equivalent to the Rs by saying "they don't give a shit about you" is a) disingenuous and b) advancing the both sides narrative that is just fucking wrong.

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well said.  Yes, the Dems deserve criticism, but that tweet is not fucking helpful.  While the Ds may be dipshits, to make them equivalent to the Rs by saying "they don't give a shit about you" is a) disingenuous and b) advancing the both sides narrative that is just fucking wrong.

As always, the GOP gets off scot free by the Twitterati 

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah Dick Durbin saying shut the fuck up and take your $600 because “we need to rename the military bases” clearly shows that the Dem establishment cares about what matters. 

Dick Durbin sucks shit but he’s not representative of the entire caucus or even a plurality of it. The caucus has moved a shitload left since 2008. Durbin isn’t going to fight for people but there are plenty who do, but it usually won’t matter so long as the GOP has the majority.

34 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah Dick Durbin saying shut the fuck up and take your $600 because “we need to rename the military bases” clearly shows that the Dem establishment cares about what matters. 

I hadn’t seen that, but it does matter to a lot of people. Probably not more than straight cash homie, but this is small potatoes. What was the actual quote?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dems can be hard asses with each other, but that’s about the extent of their hard assness.

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Good for her. Fuck Mitch 

Isn’t this usually when Republicans say churches will step in to fill the role of the social safety net out of the goodness of their heart? 

Beyoncé isn’t a church. Lakewood ain’t doing shit 

• Hook 'Em 2

Most churches I know of that have a decent sized congregation have funds set aside to help members in cases of emergency.  They just don't announce it on twitter or even in church.  Only a handful of church members know who gets helped with those funds.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Yeah, the whole "1000 points of light" thing seems like it could be shining brighter than it is. Maybe they run the food banks? Or is there some rental assistance program some are operating for their congregations somewhere? 

My church is a distribution center for the Houston Food Bank. We feed hundreds of families every month, and that number has only gone up since the pandemic. And we’re not an especially large congregation.

I’m sure there’s a similar story for many, many churches.

• Hook 'Em 2